Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53919_1700999426.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53919.jpg

Was pottering through the BBC Sport website as I'm sure most of you do when I came across Dave Woods' article on the competition having spoken with the RLWC CEO Jon Dutton.

A few things stood out in this, firstly they will make a decision in May 21 as to whether the WC will take place or moved to 2022. Inclined to agree with Dutton that moving it to the same time in 2022 & trying to compete with the Football World Cup would be shooting yourself in the foot. Not sure how easy it would be to get SL & NRL on boards for that. In any event we know the Aussi's only really care about the NRL.

The second thing that stood out was funding. Dutton said the whole plan for the WC was based on generating 90% of revenue from ticket sales & Government funding. Well the Govt has already agreed to stump up £15m for the event & a further £10m for legacy community projects. The suggestion is that if grounds are only allowed to be part full, they will expect more money from the Govt. Not a great use of taxpayers money in these times I would venture.

The only conclusion you can come to from this reliance on ticket sales is there has not been a huge amount generated from TV or Corporate Sponsorship. Yes, there is a Principle Sponsor Cazoo, no idea how much they have paid, but they are at the end of the day 2nd hand car sales people. Add to that Official Sponsors Deloitte doing the accountancy, Eversheds Sutherland, Kappa, Manchester Met Uni & Kuehne+Nagel & Partners Community Integrated Care, Movember, Northern Powerhouse, Global Climate Action, Sports England, UKSport, Dept Culture & Sport, RFL & Intl RL. Looking at that lot it is easy to see why 10s of millions of pounds will not be generated. Where are the big Global Brands? Should the organising committee called for the Monkey to sort it out?

If you look at the 2019 Union World Cup, they were able to attract the likes of Emirates, Heiniken, Mastercard, DHL Societe Generale plus local Japanese sponsors that are by no means small. They were able to sell their TV rights to every continent to a greater or lesser extent. Have no idea who we have sold our TV Rights to of course or how much has been paid.

On the whole I'm not that bothered if it takes place or not, I appreciate NB & some others on here do but any competition where only 3 teams can win is not competitive & unless we can increase interest, the big hitters won't want to invest. But if it does go ahead, fingers crossed it makes as Harry Enfield would have said, "Loads of Money".

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Not sure why there is an expectation to have global brands supporting the RLWC, RL is not a global sport. As for the competition winners, how many teams have won the SL you could ask the same question why they bother with SL every year?
That discussion aside.
The article basically saying that the WC orginisers were confident that the Comp will go ahead, personally i think that just shows that in reality not very confident at all.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As for interest in RLWC and the international game as a whole. I have said it before, RL fans generally are pretty apathetic towards the international game, supporting your local club is of interest. Thats why i dont think reducing the number of domestic games for benefit of international games is good for the fan.
RU has a totally 180 view of that, the international games in lots of fans eyes is more important than the club.
I get the point of tv money sponsors etc. And raising the profile of the game.

Amongst fans there is probably an increased interest in the international game during a World Cup not because of who is going to win it but more about watching players from teams in lower leagues getting to play for emerging nation teams, i would suggest who wins is irrelevent to most seeing entertaining rugby is what matters

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I hope it does go ahead, if it does not its going to be because they dont think they will have the spectators, which probably means the domestic game is unlikely to jave had many live spectators

RankPostsTeam
International Star1748No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53919_1700999426.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "Not sure why there is an expectation to have global brands supporting the RLWC, RL is not a global sport. As for the competition winners, how many teams have won the SL you could ask the same question why they bother with SL every year?
That discussion aside.
The article basically saying that the WC orginisers were confident that the Comp will go ahead, personally i think that just shows that in reality not very confident at all.'"

I'm no Marketing man, but you don't need to be a global sport to attract a global brand. Coca-Cola do a lot of grass root sponsorship where they see value for their brand. I have no idea if we approached that type of company & were told no thanks or we never bothered.

You are right NB, only 4 teams have won the Grand Final with a further 4 appearing in a final. Not great for a sport that has a salary cap & where the only advantage you would expect 1 club would have over another would be coaching & the quality of the marquee player(s). Maybe there is a Sarries hiding out there in the Heartlands?

Unfortunately the view you espouse about lack of interest in the International game can only lead to decline & decay. I would think if you lived in the north you could get to a game within 30/45 mins travel (not of course Warrington to Hull) if you wanted to have a look. So how or where can it grow? You are not going to get an upsurge in viewing figures on Sky unless the base of the game is broader.

If we make so little profit from the WC, where is the revenue coming from to help those emerging nations to emerge? It needs money & lots of it. We know SL want to keep every last penny for themselves which is why Leigh are having to play with almost 1 hand tied behind their backs next season.

Unless there is more vision & innovation (Coca-Cola love sports that want to innovate) but not in Canada, the only long term outcome looks like smaller deals with Sky & a part time SL. By then I suspect Broncos & Catalan will have gone & Hughes too.

I want to move this great game forward, you are saying NB the Northern Hoards are happy to vegetate. Hope you are wrong.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player656
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The only way that I can see the RLWC happening, is if it is played behind closed doors.
The vaccinations by the time the event happens, should be pretty much done. However the fear of major international events shipping in variants of the virus from afar, will be too much to allow the sort of event planned.
Could it be pushed back a year, possibly, but it is not ideal. I think the RLWC will be cancelled.
As for the Olympics they will not happen. The risk is too great.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

I've not got excited about it at all! In fact the number of official emails about it! Make The RFL seem desperate!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Deadc,
Not overly sure about your asessment of the future of the game, but if thats what you think then agree i hope its wrong.
Not sure why you think broncos and catalan will be gone, certainly not Catalan. Parts of france have a healthy all be it low key, rugby league community, toulouse in one form or another have been around twice as long as london broncos nearly. Dragons came about from a risk taker trying to break the mold a bit, result a pretty succesful outcome in merging of two teams. Rugby League will never expand in UK until it takes a radical approach, it will still be around though.
The lack of interest in the international game is not really a surprise, majority of RL fans want to see there club play week in week out.
Reckon victor is right, latest news reports re other major sport events remaining behind closed doors and viability of running em, is not good. I think olympics are going to get cancelled. Can the RL world afford the RLWC without fans, i dont think so.
Dissapointing for fans of any sport but its what it is at the moment.
Talk of champ games being played similar to SL last year, how many will pay for streaming?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "

Rugby League will never expand in UK until it takes a radical approach, it will still be around though.

The lack of interest in the international game is not really a surprise, majority of RL fans want to see there club play week in week out.
Reckon victor is right, latest news reports re other major sport events remaining behind closed doors and viability of running em, is not good. I think olympics are going to get cancelled. Can the RL world afford the RLWC without fans, i dont think so.

Dissapointing for fans of any sport but its what it is at the moment.
Talk of champ games being played similar to SL last year, how many will pay for streaming?'"

Too many SL Club Chairmen are simply only interested in their own club, the old motto of the former weekly 'Rugby Leaguer' was 'All for the Good of the Game' now that does not seem the case, there is no excitement from club chairmen and owners, I would love to have seen what Eddie Hearn and his father could have produced?

The International Game needs a complete rethink, I have never been to an International Game for years.

Double headers of Championship games, which will only be broadcast on an app? Sky have said they are not interested in the Championship, tell them broadcast or lose them? or would Sky want a refund, would Amazon, or BT be interested in double headers?

Our complete sport seems so flat at present! no one with real get up and Go!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator1975No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: " Double headers of Championship games, which will only be broadcast on an app? Sky have said they are not interested in the Championship, tell them broadcast or lose them? or would Sky want a refund, would Amazon, or BT be interested in double headers?

Our complete sport seems so flat at present! no one with real get up and Go!'"

I agree with the final sentiment. Self interest and lack of ambition has diminished a great game. Maurice Lynsey was criticised, but at least he kicked the game out of a rut - if it’s the Hearns or someone else, the game needs fresh input. Wigan can’t play St Helen’s six/eight times a year, even the most blinkered fan will get bored.

Also, agree re TV, try every channel etc and offer Champs if there can be no fans

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Without doubt Brian you are right about the sport. We need someone to come in from outside with game and things must change or it will die.
I do think out of self interest, the Super League Clubs will do their utmost to prevent change.
But the day will come, when decisions have to be made, this will be probably when the money runs out. Or the broadcaster withdraws.
When you look at the officers of both the Super League and RFL. It does not inspire you.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator1975No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Agree with Bostwick. May need Sky to walk away to make change happen.......

RankPostsTeam
International Star1748No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53919_1700999426.jpg

Quote: brian2 "Agree with Bostwick. May need Sky to walk away to make change happen.......'"

Hard to see what the circumstances would be for that to happen. SL is an easy fit for the football close season, be interesting to see how far they try to drive down what they pay for the new TV deal in the end. Doesn't seem broadcasters are rushing to compete.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Think it depends on what the view is of the game dying! Without any TV money or decent tv money, the game might go backwards, with less full time pro players. Through history though its survived lots of things i cant see the game fully dying!.
Recovery from last year and whatever hapoens this year is the main challenge at the moment.
Interesting new team popping up in barcelona and maybe back up in scarborough, lets see if they get going

RankPostsTeam
Moderator1975No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Never suggested game would die completely, but it is going nowhere at the moment.

Scarborough has been floated on/offf for a number of years, not sure what it would add to RL, Barcelona would be interesting..........

24 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
24 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.29443359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Batley Bulldogs H
Kettykat
6m
TV Games - Not Hull
The games af
8m
Salford - Away
The games af
30m
Woeful performance against London
ploinerrhino
Recent
Planning for next season
reffy
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
apollosghost
Recent
Tonights game v Giants
Uncle Rico
Recent
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Squad 2024
faxcar
46s
Rate My Takeaway
AgbriggAmble
58s
TV games not Wire
Smiffy27
1m
Batley Bulldogs H
Kettykat
1m
Smith out ASAP
Leeds_Luke
1m
ploinerrhino
1m
Surely its all over now for Watson
Jo Jumbuck
1m
This site is crap
Philbetter
2m
Tonights game v Giants
Uncle Rico
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Rate My Takeaway
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
ploinerrhino
TODAY
Accountability
Murphy
TODAY
email
orangeman
TODAY
This site is crap
Philbetter
TODAY
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Kettykat
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
TODAY
Leeds
the-bearded-
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 3,301 ↓-8080,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
 FT
Hover 
Sydney
42-12
St.George
 FT
Hover 
Canberra
12-16
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
       League One 2024-R14
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Thu 11th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
10:50
Dolphins
v
Souths
 Fri 12th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Warrington
v
Leeds
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sat 13th Jul
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 7th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Sydney42-12St.George
NRL
LIVE
Canberra12-16Newcastle
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
CH 14 Toulouse12-12Bradford
WSL2024 7 LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024 7 FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20
Salford 15 295 288 7 20

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10