JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg
[img:1ucbtp34]http://i62.tinypic.com/2hs0qkg.jpg[/img:1ucbtp34] [color=#BF0000:1ucbtp34]the [size=100:1ucbtp34]C[/size:1ucbtp34]laret [size=100:1ucbtp34]A[/size:1ucbtp34]nd [size=100:1ucbtp34]G[/size:1ucbtp34]old [size=100:1ucbtp34]M[/size:1ucbtp34]achine is ready to roll[/color:1ucbtp34] sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!:2115.jpg

Jools, spot on regarding playing style, i've had this debate with people many times and even on this thread,when people say that we don't play exciting stuff, my argument is that maybe we play the way we do because that style suits our strengths, and it's hard for the opposition to defend against, or maybe we play that way in order to negate the opposition in order to put our strengths to the fore.

you can't just expect every RL team to play the same way and just throw the ball around at will, yes it might be exciting but does it win games?

as for the comfort zone thing and sacking people, then i don't get that, as a club we are in a good place,as far as most of us know we are OK financially and the club is run in a fairly good way, we are in a good position in the league with a chance of a shot at the grand final in 7 weeks!
yes the marketing probably leaves a lot to be desired, but then again, we aren't a rich club, so maybe the budget for marketing was spent on players instead in the hope that a successful team will market itself?
at last night's HGSA meeting,Blake Solly, complimented us on being a well run club who have bred a very good "culture" from the top down, which in turn has led us to being where we are, do we want to throw that away for a quick fix and sack people left,right and centre?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Land of the GIANTS:

Meast, no one is advocating sackings left right and , l am asking questions, things have gone wrong in the past, Questions are being asked about the running of the club today. The NB, Mason, and Kopczak sissues, l my opinion were very badly handled, Brown should have been sacked (Saints fans at that time said McManus would not have stood for that)and as far as the "comfort zone" l think l outlined my views on that quite clearly, but if everyone thinks all is honky dory down there, who am l to argue.

TBC
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach994No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: meast "Jools, spot on regarding playing style, i've had this debate with people many times and even on this thread,when people say that we don't play exciting stuff, my argument is that maybe we play the way we do because that style suits our strengths, and it's hard for the opposition to defend against, or maybe we play that way in order to negate the opposition in order to put our strengths to the fore.

you can't just expect every RL team to play the same way and just throw the ball around at will, yes it might be exciting but does it win games?

as for the comfort zone thing and sacking people, then i don't get that, as a club we are in a good place,as far as most of us know we are OK financially and the club is run in a fairly good way, we are in a good position in the league with a chance of a shot at the grand final in 7 weeks!
yes the marketing probably leaves a lot to be desired, but then again, we aren't a rich club, so maybe the budget for marketing was spent on players instead in the hope that a successful team will market itself?
at last night's HGSA meeting,Blake Solly, complimented us on being a well run club who have bred a very good "culture" from the top down, which in turn has led us to being where we are, do we want to throw that away for a quick fix and sack people left,right and centre?'"

We are a well run club and shouldn't forget that.

Lots of effort and money has gone into the scholarships and academies that should start to bear some fruit in the next year or so.
If you look at the club now as to just 5 year ago we have made giant strides (no pun intended) in this area.

You mentioned earlier that the year we won the LLS the average attendance was the lowest since 2007 and that 'maybe people don't want success after all'.

Well I believe they are desperate for success but that the definition of success is getting to the GF as a minimum.

Can you imagine the interest that would be generated if the Giants appeared in (never mind won) the showcase final in front of 75,000 people?

If we can do that and more importantly do it on a regular basis that must be our best chance of growing attendance figures.

What we don't want is a repeat of the miserable effort in the play-offs of last year (and the year before that?).

That more than anything will put us further back in the quest to raise crowds.

The pressure is on and it will be very interesting how we handle it from now to the season's end.

It all a starts tomorrow......

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1624
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Some good posts and something to agree with in every one. I must be expecting too much I think. But I would ask one question of people who say they are very happy with where we are.

Would you rather see a game like the Leeds v Saints cup match, where Leeds especially, played some great football to watch, Fast, flowing at times, off loading, desperate defence at times, Or the effort served up by Wakey and the Giants, Endless dropped balls, knock-on's, Penalties and the rest, Both Leeds and the Giants got the win, Leeds playing for a place at Wembley against another very good side, The Giants against bottom of the league , who have won Twice , I know which I would rather watch.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member15309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg
[img:1ucbtp34]http://i62.tinypic.com/2hs0qkg.jpg[/img:1ucbtp34] [color=#BF0000:1ucbtp34]the [size=100:1ucbtp34]C[/size:1ucbtp34]laret [size=100:1ucbtp34]A[/size:1ucbtp34]nd [size=100:1ucbtp34]G[/size:1ucbtp34]old [size=100:1ucbtp34]M[/size:1ucbtp34]achine is ready to roll[/color:1ucbtp34] sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!:2115.jpg

some very good points on all aspects, which is how a forum thread should be.
however i do have to disagree slightly TBC, we have appeared in showcase events, 2 challenge cup finals, and we all said then that it would raise the profile of the club above what it's ever been, added to the fact that we had a long running partnership with the university, which i don't think we profited from enough, how many graduates left the uni as giants fans? suppose we'll never know but i don't think we did enough to get students and employees of the uni interested, maybe others will shed light.

it's all very well dismissing the LLS as not very important, but to our club and everything it's been through it was, in my eyes, a massive thing and something we should be proud of, as a club and as a fanbase, did we push that enough? again, hard to tell but from the outside looking in i don't think we did.

obviously our continuing failure in the play offs aren't helping, and maybe, just maybe, a GF will be the kick start the cup finals, and the LLS weren't

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg

Leeds are on a different level when it comes to attracting players though, they have far more funds to attract top quality players at all levels, we don't, we are building up to having a top class academy for the future,
i see your point but like i said previously we play to our strengths, and if those strengths are not offloading and throwing the ball around then fine, i support Huddersfield, as much as i enjoy watching good games as a neutral, i am happy to support my team, regardless of how they play.

of course, we all want to see us play like leeds and win things in front of 15,000 people every week, but we aren't Leeds, and we really can't compare the 2 clubs .

TBC
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach994No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: meast "some very good points on all aspects, which is how a forum thread should be.
however i do have to disagree slightly TBC, we have appeared in showcase events, 2 challenge cup finals, and we all said then that it would raise the profile of the club above what it's ever been, added to the fact that we had a long running partnership with the university, which i don't think we profited from enough, how many graduates left the uni as giants fans? suppose we'll never know but i don't think we did enough to get students and employees of the uni interested, maybe others will shed light.

it's all very well dismissing the LLS as not very important, but to our club and everything it's been through it was, in my eyes, a massive thing and something we should be proud of, as a club and as a fanbase, did we push that enough? again, hard to tell but from the outside looking in i don't think we did.

obviously our continuing failure in the play offs aren't helping, and maybe, just maybe, a GF will be the kick start the cup finals, and the LLS weren't'"

I agree that the LLS was something to be proud of (especially for those who remember cold wet days at Runcorn, Blackpool etc.) and don't dismiss it lightly.

But in the context of this thread I don't believe a couple of Challenge Cup final appearances and a LLS in 8-9 years is going to significantly influence our attendances.

We've come a long way in the last 15 years through the hard work of many people and that shouldn't be underestimated.

I believe Ken Davy has shifted his investment from marketing (cut price season tickets etc.) to where if should be concentrated and that's in the scholarship / academy and the purpose built facilities behind the textile centre on leeds road.

He's a business man and I think he realises he will get a better return on his investment doing this than pumping more money into marketing campaigns that are never guaranteed to be successful.

What we need now more than anything is to see lads coming through who can be genuine Super League players (the omens are good so far) and to get to the GF.

We've got solid foundations in place and now need that push to the next level.

The signings for next season may take us to another level but the last thing we need right now is a limp end to the season.

At the very least we need to keep our club moving forward and to make sure we retain the core 5,000 - 6,000 fans we currently have.

RankPostsTeam
International Star723
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Excellent posts.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1624
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: meast "Leeds are on a different level when it comes to attracting players though, they have far more funds to attract top quality players at all levels, we don't, we are building up to having a top class academy for the future,
i see your point but like i said previously we play to our strengths, and if those strengths are not offloading and throwing the ball around then fine, i support Huddersfield, as much as i enjoy watching good games as a neutral, i am happy to support my team, regardless of how they play.

of course, we all want to see us play like leeds and win things in front of 15,000 people every week, but we aren't Leeds, and we really can't compare the 2 clubs .'"

So then meast if we signed for next season, D Mcquire, Burrows, Delainey, JJB, Hablett, Moon, and got rid of our corresponding players, would you be happy or unhappy,

It's not a trick question in any way, I am just Making the point that these are the players who have been winning things for Leeds for quite a few years now, ( and I've seen all of them slagged off for one reason or another) .

You make the point that Leeds have far more funds to attract top quality players than we do, I thought we all spent the same, ( I know all about the sweepers up and the Canteen ladies) But Leeds are not known for being big spenders.

Where they do have a big advantage over us is the young Talent, but we seem to be getting on the right lines with that now.

IMO where the big difference between us and the Leeds Wigan Saints Warrington's is, It's the culture of those clubs is one of winning, ( Warrington are getting there) Their Fans don't turn up Hoping and praying , They turn up expecting the team to either win, or give it a good go, If they lose a final and get 40 points stuck on them, they don't treat it as a stunning achievement, to them it's a loss and better not referred too.
Good as that game was last week, Saints won't want to keep remembering that, they will want to forget Leeds beat them, Because they are interested in winning, they don't celebrate Loosing.
But above all they have built a reputation, as have Wigan and others of playing good open football, all I'm saying is can't we make a start down that road,( We did make that start when Brown first came ) That is what keeps the crowds up, If we can get that sort of thinking into the club, Play good open football the crowds will come (as they were When Brown came ) Because nothing has worked at Huddersfield since the mid sixties as far as I can see.

I take your point that you will support them whatever they play like, and they can win things that way once now and then. But KD continues to keep saying it, ( If we are to go forward we have to get 10,000 crowds) So unless something changes there will be no club to watch.

Anyway good luck to them tonight , We have had some good wins in Pie land, no reason why we can't again, I feel quite optimistic, we are due a top performance, this could be it.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Huddersfield Giants - "We know our place":

Jo - great post.

What the club needs is a winning mentality. There's a feeling that they're actually a bit happy to finish fourth, happy to be in and amongst, happy to be trundling about with small crowds.

Given the club has little or no interest in selling the club to the people of Huddersfield, the only thing that might bring in a few thousand more through the gates is a couple of winning seasons. But I don't think the players, or the backroom staff, have the balls (in some cases, talent) to make that step up and win things.

Ryan Hinchcliffe is a big signing for us - coming in from a winning culture at Melbourne. I hope he knocks a few heads together, because there's some good players at the Giants who should win things in their career but won't.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: boomer "Jools, l agree with just about all of that, but l think the main problem at the Giants is that too many people are in "the comfort zone",
Starting near the top , we have a General Manager that is also a director,

*applauds*

Couldn't put it better. The club is stagnant. I think it starts with Thewlis at the top. He's been around for ten years, and actually the club hasn't progressed in that time off the field.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: meast "
at last night's HGSA meeting,Blake Solly, complimented us on being a well run club who have bred a very good "culture" from the top down, which in turn has led us to being where we are, do we want to throw that away for a quick fix and sack people left,right and centre?'"

Well, from what I've seen of Blake Solly he's not exactly top notch management material, so I'm not too fussed by what he says.

That said, what progress has the club made in the past ten years off the field?

Jesus, it's only this year that they finally got their s into gear and opened a proper gym for the players and even then it's not actually near a training pitch.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Steve May "
Jesus, it's only this year that they finally got their s into gear and opened a proper gym for the players and even then it's not actually near a training pitch.'"

On this note, about five years back I gave a colleague a lift to the station and we were driving along Leeds Road and the players were training. I said to him - that's the Huddersfield Giants training. He was amazed that they trained on a public facility. I hadn't really thought of it, but he was right.

Last week I saw them training there again.

The money that Davy has put in - a lot of it has been ed away.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Steve May "Jo - great post.

What the club needs is a winning mentality. There's a feeling that they're actually a bit happy to finish fourth, happy to be in and amongst, happy to be trundling about with small crowds.

Given the club has little or no interest in selling the club to the people of Huddersfield, the only thing that might bring in a few thousand more through the gates is a couple of winning seasons. But I don't think the players, or the backroom staff, have the balls (in some cases, talent) to make that step up and win things.

Ryan Hinchcliffe is a big signing for us - coming in from a winning culture at Melbourne. I hope he knocks a few heads together, because there's some good players at the Giants who should win things in their career but won't.'"

This.

Huddersfield have done well to become established as a top club in SL. And there's nothing wrong with being happy at finishing 4th when you're used to finishing 10th. But now they need to take the next step, the same one that Leeds had to take under Tony Smith, from the top club least likely to win anything, to actual winners.

From the outside looking in it appears you need more leaders in your squad. You've got Danny Brough who's an excellent player, but is he a leader? I'm not sure who I'd pick out as a leader in your squad.
2 of Leeds best signings were Dave Furner & Andrew Dunneman. IIRC Furner was only at Leeds for 2 years and Dunemann not much longer but the effect they had on the likes of Sinfield, McGuire & Burrow was immense. They, along with Tony Smith, helped turn them from just skilful players to future leaders. Sinfield, McGuire & Burrow then had a similar effect on players like JJB, Ablett.

It seems as if Huddersfield could do with a couple of leaders to start developing the right kind of mentality, which will then feed on itself and spread to others in the squad.

Just a little thing but tonight I noticed Joe Wardle having a right go at his defence on the opposite side of the field following a Wigan try. Now maybe they needed someone to have a go at them but personally I don't think that works. They needed leadership before that point. And certainly didn't need someone having a go at them who'd just given a daft penalty away that gave Wigan an extra set on Hudds line.

I may be wrong, but that's what it looks like from the outside anyway.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg

totally agree on the mentality thing, again though, impossible to compare us and Leeds.

but those players with that kind of mentality don't grow on trees, hopefully we can start seeing a bit more of that in the next few years,starting with Rapira and Hinchliffe?

122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Code13 , Durham Giant
122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Code13 , Durham Giant

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.88134765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
Cokey
28m
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
Recent
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
micktheleyth
Recent
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
Recent
Betting 2024
karetaker
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
1m
micktheleyth
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
1m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
1m
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
1m
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
1m
TV games not Wire
Cherry_Warri
1m
Championship Awards
FIL
2m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
2m
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
micktheleyth
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,240 ↓-19380,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22