Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12166.gif
:12166.gif

Quote: Marsdengiant "That's right...no numbers.

Of course I am being selective! I am selecting the point about the Giants forgetting about the community game and saying that the poster provides no evidence! Despite requests no evidence has been forthcoming. '"

Maybe they dont come on every day icon_lol.gif

Carry on being a picky sod icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1977No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gahan "Maybe they dont come on every day
You don't have to think! Or guess. Contact them and find out the schools they are going out to.

And the activity that does go on at the Zone (a facility most SL clubs would kill for) certainly shows that the community has not been forgotten...doesn't it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1977No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gahan "Not quite what i said, they obviously dont come on every day to answer your questions, you have asked, we'll just have to wait for an answer

As for the last point, you could have come up with a counter argument while we are waiting
Twas ever thus icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Strikes me as a case of "damned if they do, damned if they dont"

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

Quote: Marsdengiant "Smashing logic. When fans or even coaches of other clubs criicise the Giants based on their own 'biases and anecdotes' we challenge them. We do so with the facts.

Apparently when a 'Giants fan' challenges the community work of the club based on anecdote or a single event its okay.

Maybe if Justin Morgan or Nobby would say we had forgotten about our community game since getting a licence posters may think it worthy of challenging. icon_confused.gif:

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

Quote: Gahan "Im sure im quoted at the time saying something along the lines as........... What Sally Nook getting to a final has to do with the Giants then i dont know, not taking anything away from their acheivement.

Surprised at Watsons comments to be honest, i know of at least 1 player who does a lot of presentation nights, coaching, watching at amateur/kids level, maybe he does that off his own back, i dont know'"

The general point i am making is that IMHO the club should be involved in EVERY single aspect of RL that they can be within our catchment area .All of this contact helps to build up the bond between the club and the community. Whether this helps the club build up its supporter base, energises the supporters it has or hopefully attract younger players to the club, the club benefits.

The players signing Autographs prior to games is a good example of this as is them acknowledging the fans at the end of games. My son was made up when he got to shake Andy Raleighs hand and got his shirt autographed. If that feeling is multiplied by 30 players , over a season with thousands of kids then it is a good thing.

Whilst it is a good thing that you know of one player who does a lot of this i would feel happier if you were saying i know of 10 who do it.

I have no idea of what goes into players contracts but i would have thought that there should / would be something in there about promo work on behalf of the club.

If it was up to me i would make sure that every single club in the Kirklees area ( particularly kids teams )be contacted and told that if they want a suad player for their presentation night then they will get one.

As for Salendine Nook i cannot remeber all the details but even a letter of support to be read out to the team or a congratulations or a few free tickets would be much better publicity and a more coordinated targetting marketing approach than some of the other things that appear to go on.

To me it is just really a case of the club doing everything that it can to create a strong base of kids who are bonded to the club at an early stage and to then maintain that so they become the lifeblood of the club in the future. In this respect EVERY single opportunity to engage with the kids should be taken.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7911No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12166.gif

Good points Mick but come on, do you know how many junior clubs there are in Kirklees?

TBH i would have thought Shaw Cross would have come under maybe a Dewsbury player doing it but i see where your going with this.

The players have only just started coming over to shake hands, sign autographs etc this season, a step in the right direction imho.

This club has come on leaps and bounds over the last 5 years and i think we're just starting to do things right off the pitch now but give it some time for every little aspect to be covered

Yours

Ken Davy icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach131No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

There 10 types of people in this world.... Those that understand the binary system and those that dont:

A few years back now squad players regularly turned up at my daughters infant school and joined in with lessons and even helped at the summer fair they held.

This has since stopped but at least my young daughter is a big fan of the giants since she read a story to big Eorl.

It would be a massive shame if this work is not still going on elsewhere as it did seem to have a big impact.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7911No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12166.gif

Quote: elyob "A few years back now squad players regularly turned up at my daughters infant school and joined in with lessons and even helped at the summer fair they held.

This has since stopped but at least my young daughter is a big fan of the giants since she read a story to big Eorl.

It would be a massive shame if this work is not still going on elsewhere as it did seem to have a big impact.'"

I know fringe players were out last summer in infacts schools

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1977No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Durham Giant "How it is not logical is beyiond me. BUT when a poster writes something like this

Watson wrote

as for the giants in the community,in the 3 years he has been playing the game. at the end of season presentation a member of the giants squad were supposed to turn up at the event,but in 3 years none has turned up
yet we have had bradford,leeds,wakefield and dewsbury players turn up every year.

That would suggest to me that the poster believes that a Giants player should have turned up at their teams presenttion night but in 3 years has failed to do so but that players from 4 of our rivals have.

Now maybe the poster is
A wrong and a player has turned up but watson did not see them ( possible with Robinson if they have high tables.)

B The giants player was not invited.

C The giants were invited to attend but for whatever reason could not attend.

Now whichever way you put it there would appear to be something that from the point of view of communication has gone wrong which could be done better. Where the responsibility lies i do not know, BUT, If Dewsbury , Wakefield, Bradford and Leeds players turn up then it would seem reasonable or Logical to think that those clubs feel they can get something out of it.

Marsden do you think that maybe the club is missing a trick here or is it impossible for you to accept ant criticism whatsoever about the club no matter how mild or well intentioned that it may be.
Thanks for going over a single event in considerable detail.

However.....I have not read a post that provides some detailed evidence that since the Giants got a licence they have 'forgotten the community game'. In particular the poster who made the claim did not provide it when he /she had the chance.

As for your last sentence I did write earlier:

"If it is based on fact it is fair criticism. Otherwise it is criticism without evidence - which I have called muck raking."

HTH.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1977No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: elyob "A few years back now squad players regularly turned up at my daughters infant school and joined in with lessons and even helped at the summer fair they held.

It would be a massive shame if this work is not still going on elsewhere as it did seem to have a big impact.'"

I think schools use the learning centre at the stadium throughout term time and players go along 1 or 2 times a week to meet the children.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7911No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12166.gif

Quote: Marsdengiant "I think schools use the learning centre at the stadium throughout term time and players go along 1 or 2 times a week to meet the children.'"

Think?

Or do they icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1977No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gahan "Think?

Or do they
think. icon_biggrin.gif

54 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Code13 , Durham Giant
54 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Code13 , Durham Giant

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

7.7509765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
This weeks disciplinary
The Reaper
14m
York City Knights home
wakeytrin
17m