FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Huddersfield Giants > Blew it - not just the fuse !!!
57 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Code13 , Durham Giant
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15511
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43854_1545310668.jpg
HUDDERSFIELD - THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43854.jpg

Quote: GiantMatt88 "We don't have experience of winning playoff games? You can say that again! But it's ridiculous to use that as excuse because we've played in enough. When it comes down to playoff rugby it's about who wants it more and who's prepared to put that extra effort in. Our players know they're a decent team and think that will get them through.

It's not about being like football fans. Rugby league is a business as well as a sport. Now if I had a business whereby it's very common to make 4/5 new recruits every year and all my competitors were doing that but we weren't I'm sure some people might be asking questions of me. I'm not saying it's doom and gloom we've got a decent team, we only need 2/3 more players and there's plenty of time but the question is, do we have confidence in the club to bring in those players who are going to take us to the next level? I'm not so sure.

In terms of actual players, I would pay a decent fee to take michael monaghan on a 1 year deal. Granted it probably isn't going to happen but that type of player who is a quality player would do wonders for our team. Compare him with Robinson who will be in that position next year, can Robinson make a difference like what someone like he could? No! Like I said that transfer won't happen but that's what we need, a couple of senior players who have been they're before and can make a difference in games. Our players are great when it's going they're way but who can really dig in and drag us out of a hole when it's not? michael Monaghan did that for warrington when we were hammering them.'"

which teams are bringing in a shed load of players? not the top teams its the ones at the bottom.

leeds making 1 signing. we have made 2.

players have contracts you cant just replace the lot every season, robinson and lunt have another year left so you may have to wait for a monaghan type hooker.

the giants have gone with the policy of having a settled squad and handing in some cases long contracts, the question is it the right way to go about things? we most likely would have missed out on huby if we didnt offer a 4yr deal so its a hard one to get right

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach308No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Sep 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

catlan and salford are going to be a major force next year as for us when we are playing a very average player like mason a 100k questions need to ask about our CEO again if money short why resign grix

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member15309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg
[img:1ucbtp34]http://i62.tinypic.com/2hs0qkg.jpg[/img:1ucbtp34] [color=#BF0000:1ucbtp34]the [size=100:1ucbtp34]C[/size:1ucbtp34]laret [size=100:1ucbtp34]A[/size:1ucbtp34]nd [size=100:1ucbtp34]G[/size:1ucbtp34]old [size=100:1ucbtp34]M[/size:1ucbtp34]achine is ready to roll[/color:1ucbtp34] sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!:2115.jpg

you can't just bring in new players because you haven't won a major trophy, we aren't manchester city or chelsea who can just go and get another world class player.
for a start, these players simply aren't available! and if they were available then the likelihood is that they will go to a top/trophy winning team with a big fanbase, we are neither her nor there in all respects.

what we are is a club with a small but loyal fanbase who have been through more hard times than any other top flight club, a club that has worked our way to where we are now by sheer hard work, dedication and patience, where we are now compared to 10 years ago is astonishing, we haven't done it by splashing the cash on superstars, or by having a world class academy system (although we have done pretty well in that respect considering our standing in the game) we have got to where we are by coaching players well, players who were considered surplus to requirements at other clubs,players who have come through our system, and players who we brought in and made them decent players, we have also had the odd few who were top players, with a sprinkling of good overseas players.

as daz says, we are still building the club, we aren't far off in terms of winning trophies, which in itself it's a remarkable achievement considering only 4/5 other teams have ever been in that position in the super league era, teams with big support and established top flight credentials.
to be able to continue and to make that next step up we need people to get behind the club, to support the club, not walk away because we haven't won anything or aren't signing big stars!

without people supporting the club, there wouldn't be a club now! without people supporting the club we can't move it forward.

there is some ironic stuff kicking about!

RankPostsTeam
International Star25No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: brearley84 "
Quote: brearley84 "We don't have experience of winning playoff games? You can say that again! But it's ridiculous to use that as excuse because we've played in enough. When it comes down to playoff rugby it's about who wants it more and who's prepared to put that extra effort in. Our players know they're a decent team and think that will get them through.

It's not about being like football fans. Rugby league is a business as well as a sport. Now if I had a business whereby it's very common to make 4/5 new recruits every year and all my competitors were doing that but we weren't I'm sure some people might be asking questions of me. I'm not saying it's doom and gloom we've got a decent team, we only need 2/3 more players and there's plenty of time but the question is, do we have confidence in the club to bring in those players who are going to take us to the next level? I'm not so sure.

In terms of actual players, I would pay a decent fee to take michael monaghan on a 1 year deal. Granted it probably isn't going to happen but that type of player who is a quality player would do wonders for our team. Compare him with Robinson who will be in that position next year, can Robinson make a difference like what someone like he could? No! Like I said that transfer won't happen but that's what we need, a couple of senior players who have been they're before and can make a difference in games. Our players are great when it's going they're way but who can really dig in and drag us out of a hole when it's not? michael Monaghan did that for warrington when we were hammering them.'"

which teams are bringing in a shed load of players? not the top teams its the ones at the bottom.

leeds making 1 signing. we have made 2.

players have contracts you cant just replace the lot every season, robinson and lunt have another year left so you may have to wait for a monaghan type hooker.

the giants have gone with the policy of having a settled squad and handing in some cases long contracts, the question is it the right way to go about things? we most likely would have missed out on huby if we didnt offer a 4yr deal so its a hard one to get right'"

I'm not saying we need a shed load of players, 2/3. The top teams may only make 1 or 2 signings because they already have those match winners or an academy that produces them. It's the quality of the signings not quantity. Huby is a good player but did we need another prop? I don't think we did unless we're letting one or two go.

I think we need a leader in the pack whether that would come from a top quality loose forward or a hooker and then someone to take the pressure off DB. Just a thought, who in our team has experience of being part of a successful team? (Lunts Grand Final win doesn't really count). We lack lack that experience.

I'm only saying all this because I want us to move forward and be successful. I've watched them for the last 20 years (I'm only 26) and I will still go to every game even if we sign god awful players. Can't blame me for wanting the club to be better.

P.s we do need a new managing director though!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: GiantMatt88 "I'm not saying we need a shed load of players, 2/3. The top teams may only make 1 or 2 signings because they already have those match winners or an academy that produces them. It's the quality of the signings not quantity. Huby is a good player but did we need another prop? I don't think we did unless we're letting one or two go.

I think we need a leader in the pack whether that would come from a top quality loose forward or a hooker and then someone to take the pressure off DB. Just a thought, who in our team has experience of being part of a successful team? (Lunts Grand Final win doesn't really count). We lack lack that experience.

I'm only saying all this because I want us to move forward and be successful. I've watched them for the last 20 years (I'm only 26) and I will still go to every game even if we sign god awful players. Can't blame me for wanting the club to be better.

P.s we do need a new managing director though!'"

According to league express your letting Kaufusi leave a year early to return to Australia?

RankPostsTeam
International Star518
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67930_1405527002.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67930.jpg

I must admit to being stunned at the attitude of some 'supporters' on this forum.

Last season we were all happy to support the club and the team as we lifted our first silverware in over 80 years and came as close as we have ever done in the Super League era to a place in the Grand Final. We had 5 players in the Dream Team, Coach of the Year, Man of Steel and plenty of players representing us in the World Cup.

Only one year later, with nearly exactly the same players and the same Coach, some are choosing to turn their back on the players and club because of the struggles they have had. I think it was an awful season, I don't see any positives that can be taken from it. But this is exactly when a club and its team need their supporters the most - it's very easy to support a club when the times are good but the true test are times like this.

RankPostsTeam
International Star184No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I may be wrong here but I think there was too much focus on coming good at the "right time" - end of season- to go for the farcical comp that seems to be the Holy grail. I want to see us going for every game as near to full steam as possible, go for the league and CC, and then deal with the end of season comp if or when we get there. I think if the team go with that outlook we might see games and performances we all want. The team is good enough on their day - just need to have plenty of days! I find it hard to understand how people can just walk away - it irritates me when I can't get to a game!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15511
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43854_1545310668.jpg
HUDDERSFIELD - THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43854.jpg

Quote: meast "you can't just bring in new players because you haven't won a major trophy, we aren't manchester city or chelsea who can just go and get another world class player.
for a start, these players simply aren't available! and if they were available then the likelihood is that they will go to a top/trophy winning team with a big fanbase, we are neither her nor there in all respects.

what we are is a club with a small but loyal fanbase who have been through more hard times than any other top flight club, a club that has worked our way to where we are now by sheer hard work, dedication and patience, where we are now compared to 10 years ago is astonishing, we haven't done it by splashing the cash on superstars, or by having a world class academy system (although we have done pretty well in that respect considering our standing in the game) we have got to where we are by coaching players well, players who were considered surplus to requirements at other clubs,players who have come through our system, and players who we brought in and made them decent players, we have also had the odd few who were top players, with a sprinkling of good overseas players.

as daz says, we are still building the club, we aren't far off in terms of winning trophies, which in itself it's a remarkable achievement considering only 4/5 other teams have ever been in that position in the super league era, teams with big support and established top flight credentials.
to be able to continue and to make that next step up we need people to get behind the club, to support the club, not walk away because we haven't won anything or aren't signing big stars!

without people supporting the club, there wouldn't be a club now! without people supporting the club we can't move it forward.

there is some ironic stuff kicking about!'"

some good points, people really do seem to forget how far we have come in a short space of time, fighting way above our weight , we have been spoilt really with how we have now become a major force in the league season.. would be nice to go that extra step but sometimes we have to have a reality check

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15511
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43854_1545310668.jpg

Quote: 40 year old giant "catlan and salford are going to be a major force next year as for us when we are playing a very average player like mason a 100k questions need to ask about our CEO again if money short why resign grix'"

indeed they are, on catalans how many overseas players are they allowed?? seems to be more than the UK based teams which is unfair...supposed to be a french team but about 8 were french when they played us?

we have done the mason saga to death.

grix 2yr deal when we have connor and murphy waiting in the wings, well that could be questioned indeed that particular deal, like you say the money could have been spent more wisely

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg
[img:1ucbtp34]http://i62.tinypic.com/2hs0qkg.jpg[/img:1ucbtp34] [color=#BF0000:1ucbtp34]the [size=100:1ucbtp34]C[/size:1ucbtp34]laret [size=100:1ucbtp34]A[/size:1ucbtp34]nd [size=100:1ucbtp34]G[/size:1ucbtp34]old [size=100:1ucbtp34]M[/size:1ucbtp34]achine is ready to roll[/color:1ucbtp34] sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!:2115.jpg

Quote: Unbeliever "I must admit to being stunned at the attitude of some 'supporters' on this forum.

Last season we were all happy to support the club and the team as we lifted our first silverware in over 80 years and came as close as we have ever done in the Super League era to a place in the Grand Final. We had 5 players in the Dream Team, Coach of the Year, Man of Steel and plenty of players representing us in the World Cup.

Only one year later, with nearly exactly the same players and the same Coach, some are choosing to turn their back on the players and club because of the struggles they have had. I think it was an awful season, I don't see any positives that can be taken from it. But this is exactly when a club and its team need their supporters the most - it's very easy to support a club when the times are good but the true test are times like this.'"

spot on!
but some fans are fickle and disappear as soon as the silverware disappears.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg

Quote: gazzagiant "I may be wrong here but I think there was too much focus on coming good at the "right time" - end of season- to go for the farcical comp that seems to be the Holy grail. I want to see us going for every game as near to full steam as possible, go for the league and CC, and then deal with the end of season comp if or when we get there. I think if the team go with that outlook we might see games and performances we all want. The team is good enough on their day - just need to have plenty of days! I find it hard to understand how people can just walk away - it irritates me when I can't get to a game!'"

with the new structure in place next season, with only the top 4 qualifying for the play offs i don't think teams can afford to take it easy next year, hopefully every team will give 100 % in every game unlike the last few years.

RankPostsTeam
International Star25No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I love how ambitious you guys are!! At the next supporters meeting why don't you just pat each other on the back for our past achievements... Come on, it sounds like your happy being 4/5th best team in the comp because we used to be a lot worse. Being the best team in the comp and winning the grand isn't unrealistic if we move forward with 2 good signings and good management

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14986
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

it isn't unrealistic but it hasn't happened yet so no point acting like we are the top dogs till it does.

RankPostsTeam
International Star178No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

But that's it, overall I think we are moving forward with the resources available. I think a mass overhaul would be counterproductive. Yes this season was a step back, but in the scheme of things no disaster. I think Anderson and the players will have learnt plenty and can take that into next season.

I think the urgency of the new league format will suit us. Mentally from the start there was something not quite on with us; hangover from a table topping campaign where our spine hardly missed a game and then went straight into World Cup - cudjoe, grix, ferres, brough, wardle, Koppy off the top of my head. This was a major thing for us and we just never got into a groove. Still, finished 3rd, edged out by saints in cc, good points total, bringing on some cracking youth and brought in some useful looking signings so far.

I'm not saying that Anderson is beyond criticism or that everything is rosy in the garden, but overall I'll take where we are at, as I genuinely believe we are on the right track.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg

it's not unrealistic though is it?
we are now considered one of the top 4/5 teams in super league, we are considered, by some to be genuine trophy winning contenders.
in the super league are, there have only really been 4/5 teams that have realistically been considered so, bradford, wigan,leeds,saints and warrington...these clubs are far bigger clubs with far bigger supporter base than us, so to be up there now is a great achievement in my eyes, but it has taken us 15 years to get to where we are, we have built slowly, and right now we aren't far off, but for a couple of poor performances in the last week of the season we could be going to old trafford on saturday.

that says to me ,that we don't need to overhaul the team/coaching staff we just need to be smarter in games that really matter.
yes we are on the right track but having fans desert us because we didn't win anything is not going to help us continue to strive for success.

57 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
57 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.13818359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
moto748
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
Recent