FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Huddersfield Giants > Thoughts from tonight..
51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Code13 , Durham Giant
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1104No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Thought our forwards Taai and Ikahihifo were superb as soon as they leave the field we really struggle. Mason in next week?

Mellor runs strong and looks to graft

Didnt think Clough, Rapira or Wakeman offered much really

Gaskell links up well to create breaks.

Leeming was excellent 2nd half.

All tries we concede seem to be down Leroy and Jerrys side? 3 at Widnes and 3 today?

Our defence is utterly abysmal.

Senior players Brough and Hinchliffe like 14 year old kids when we have made a break - no composure throwing stupid passes.

Murphy really does get exposed with lack of pace when ball gets thrown out wide - massive get out of jail card for Johnson going into touch, absolute feeble attempt at tracking back.

We ALWAYS seem to concede the first points in any game whether by penalty or by try.

2 or else 3 times we were on the last tackle instead of kicking to try get another set we just handed the ball over - RIDICULOUS.

Everytime we have a chance to get our noses in front we make wrong decisions it really is worrying.

Going off that tonight we will be fighting for 8th spot.

Final say: We need a new goal kicker ASAP

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2957No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Apr 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif

The difference was in salford's 20 Giants looked like they had no magic to put s good pass to get over the line. Plenty of effort and runners but it looked too easy to defend. Then as you say breaks are made and silly passes are thrown. That can be fixed but no idea where the magic is going to come from.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6243.gif
This will be our year......................................................Hopefully! But maybe not with child running amock.:6243.gif

Quote: GiantJake1988 "Thought our forwards Taai and Ikahihifo were superb as soon as they leave the field we really struggle. Mason in next week?

All tries we concede seem to be down Leroy and Jerrys side? 3 at Widnes and 3 today?

Senior players Brough and Hinchliffe like 14 year old kids when we have made a break - no composure throwing stupid passes.

Murphy really does get exposed with lack of pace when ball gets thrown out wide - massive get out of jail card for Johnson going into touch, absolute feeble attempt at tracking back.

We ALWAYS seem to concede the first points in any game whether by penalty or by try.

2 or else 3 times we were on the last tackle instead of kicking to try get another set we just handed the ball over - RIDICULOUS.

Everytime we have a chance to get our noses in front we make wrong decisions it really is worrying.

Final say
Will agree with most of the above. Thought Mellor looks good in attack but weak in defence. I actually think Murph looks shot I'm afraid to say, not sure he will get a game when Mamo is fit.
Thought Gaskell looked really good and dangerous when going forward.
Have to say again that Taai and Ike were awesome when on the field, and we went backwards when they were off.
As for Rapira, what the hell was that tackling about for their last try?? Their centre actually bumped him off 3 times until he ended up on the floor, he just seemed to stand there and wasn't interested in using his arms to assist in tackling their centre.
Leeming was poor in the first half but excellent in the second.
We need Mamo back asap and need to clone Taai and Ike.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1443
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif
Run leroy , run !.... And he did - twice - and we partied hard...:Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif

Agree - Taai and Ikahihifo were superb but bench seems a step down with clough and wakeman. Early days for Wakeman still.

Smith for me next week, and not sure of rapira at loose forward.

Defence poor to concede 30 points , and last Salford try was abysmal.

Mellor Looking good. Strong direct runner. He looked good at Widnes too.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2751No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4785-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
:icons39ad_files/4785-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: GiantJake1988 "Thought our forwards Taai and Ikahihifo were superb as soon as they leave the field we really struggle. Mason in next week?

Final say

Not sure why you think 3 tries were scored down Mcgillvary/Cudjoe's wing. Apart from the first that was down that side two of the others were scored down the middle and the other in a gap between Brough and Mellor. Last week only two tries came down that side.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1623
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I thought it was all a bit frantic really, trying to score at every move, They will improve on that and learn to build pressure, Thought Salford looked stronger than us in the middle, certainly made a lot more ground anyway, despite good efforts from a couple of our forwards. Not Brough's best game all in all, but to say we need a new kicker is going a bit far, I can only think you must be judging him against their kicker tonight who i thought was probably MOM for me, Brough's Bombs were ineffectual tonight simply because the forwards hadn't made enough ground and they had too far to go to get under the high balls, there was never any pressure on the Fullback and he never put a foot wrong.

Early days yet, they will settle down from that and there were some good signs as well, Gaskell played well enough Leeming did well also Mellor, Rapera didn't look fully fit to me, To be fair we created enough chances to win the game , I thought Salford edged it myself but you can't keep passing the ball to them instead of scoring and expect to win. Just trying to hard i think.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain42
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Both our attack and defence at the line was awful and cost us the game. In attack we wasted plays on first receiver drives at the line, and in defence we had no line speed and missed one on one tackles far too frequently.

Ikahifo was an absolute beast , unstoppable at times, taii not far behind.

Kruise has come a long way in terms of his scooting ability, but his passing and options on last tackle plays really needs work. Twice he ruined a move on the 5th with horrible passes and once he passed on the blind on the 5th to ruin another 5th play. All this needs work, but there are some promising signs in other areas of the pitch.

Wakeman was truly awful in attack and defence, offering the least of any of our forwards, giving away penalties and missing tackles near the line. I hope this is still just down to him adjusting to our climate, or Oldham may soon beckon.

I thought in the post match interview Stone saw pretty much the same shortcomings and this is encouraging. Hope he doesn;t revert to meaningless platitudes like most coaches in the future.

RankPostsTeam
International Star10464
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2023Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60098_1402496159.jpg
the future's bright the future's [color=#800000:1p3f9jf7]claret [/color:1p3f9jf7] and [color=#FFFF40:1p3f9jf7]gold [/color:1p3f9jf7]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60098.jpg

We do need another kicker- because it's obvious to the opposition where the ball is going!
Wakeman and clough meh. Rapira at 13 is an awful decision. Mason must play next week. He deserves a chance and wakey have a big pack so we need to match their size.
Hinchcliffe and ferguson weeent a patch on last week.
Leeming was great in that second half. Although you can see he's still learning.
Never got our noses in front and when we had the chance we blew it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1623
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Hangermans "Both our attack and defence at the line was awful and cost us the game. In attack we wasted plays on first receiver drives at the line, and in defence we had no line speed and missed one on one tackles far too frequently.

Ikahifo was an absolute beast , unstoppable at times, taii not far behind.

Kruise has come a long way in terms of his scooting ability, but his passing and options on last tackle plays really needs work. Twice he ruined a move on the 5th with horrible passes and once he passed on the blind on the 5th to ruin another 5th play. All this needs work, but there are some promising signs in other areas of the pitch.

I thought in the post match interview Stone saw pretty much the same shortcomings and this is encouraging. Hope he doesn;t revert to meaningless platitudes like most coaches in the future.'"

Agree , the one thing that hasn't changed yet, is our line speed, we are so slow to move up, no wonder the opposition makes a lot more ground than we do, Onward and upwards.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach653No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Lack of composure, we threw 4 interceptions when in good attacking position, Brierley, Ferguson, Brough and Hinchcliffe.

Gaskell looked good going forward but dodgy in defence - nowhere near the bomb he let bounce and often out of position such as the Johnston no try.
Run on props were great, thought Clough was ok actually, Wakeman needs a pre season and Rapira was awful, carries well but never makes first hit in defence.
New place kicker needed also, Broughy has had leg injuries that have been nursed for some time now, he used to be as good as they come at goal kicking, but I suspect he now has a mechanical issue due to injuries.
I would have Mason and Smith in for Rapira and Wakeman, hopefully Symonds and Mamo fit soon.
To conclude, I saw signs of encouragement we scored 4 trays to 4 of theirs but bombed a lot of good position. We do though need to beat Wakey next up or the doubts will grow and confidence drop.

RankPostsTeam
International Star10464
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2023Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60098_1402496159.jpg
the future's bright the future's [color=#800000:1p3f9jf7]claret [/color:1p3f9jf7] and [color=#FFFF40:1p3f9jf7]gold [/color:1p3f9jf7]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60098.jpg

Quote: GiantDee "Lack of composure, we threw 4 interceptions when in good attacking position, Brierley, Ferguson, Brough and Hinchcliffe.

Gaskell looked good going forward but dodgy in defence - nowhere near the bomb he let bounce and often out of position such as the Johnston no try.
Run on props were great, thought Clough was ok actually, Wakeman needs a pre season and Rapira was awful, carries well but never makes first hit in defence.
New place kicker needed also, Broughy has had leg injuries that have been nursed for some time now, he used to be as good as they come at goal kicking, but I suspect he now has a mechanical issue due to injuries.
I would have Mason and Smith in for Rapira and Wakeman, hopefully Symonds and Mamo fit soon.
To conclude, I saw signs of encouragement we scored 4 trays to 4 of theirs but bombed a lot of good position. We do though need to beat Wakey next up or the doubts will grow and confidence drop.'"

I thought possibly Gaskell lost that ball against the floodlights.
Same problems seem to be in evidence. That's worrying as stone has had plenty of time now to sort these issues.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain191No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jools "I thought possibly Gaskell lost that ball against the floodlights.'"

dont every full back have the floodlights against them and most others dont let it bounce

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1104No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

A worrying sign for me is Stone playing players who clearly are not fit when we have players who are fit.

Wakeman and Rapira are about 70% and you can see that, I could understand if a rapira was still an international but he is not anymore and far from it.

Expecting to see Mamo in the side half fit too in a couple of weeks.

Same team next week except I'd like to see Mason and Smith in for Rapira and Wakeman to try get them fit for the Hull game and I'd like to see Darnell on the wing for Murphy.

Wakefield have the quickest back line in SL apart from Grix with Caton-Brown and Johnstone as well as Reece Lyne and Jones-Bishop

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain95No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: GiantJake1988 "A worrying sign for me is Stone playing players who clearly are not fit when we have players who are fit.

Wakeman and Rapira are about 70% and you can see that, I could understand if a rapira was still an international but he is not anymore and far from it.

Expecting to see Mamo in the side half fit too in a couple of weeks.

Same team next week except I'd like to see Mason and Smith in for Rapira and Wakeman to try get them fit for the Hull game and I'd like to see Darnell on the wing for Murphy.

Wakefield have the quickest back line in SL apart from Grix with Caton-Brown and Johnstone as well as Reece Lyne and Jones-Bishop'"

agree with the comments on murphy wakeman and rapira.

someone on here that knows a bit about rugby is very refreshing.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
ā€œAt last, a real, Tory budget,ā€ Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side ā€¦ but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: GiantJake1988 "
Wakefield have the quickest back line in SL apart from Grix with Caton-Brown and Johnstone as well as Reece Lyne and Jones-Bishop'"

I'd be worried if Gaskell is in the centres. It was comedy gold watching him trying to chase the 50 year old Welham when he took the interception.

51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.58251953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
5m
The silence from the club is deafening
tommyfromhul
6m
Planning for next season
J7P1
11m
New Whitehaven Coach
weighman
23m
NRL Takeover talk should we be worried
number 6
27m
Squad for Castleford
CM Punk
60m
Whitehaven
Wollo-Wollo-
Recent
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 23
ducknumber1
Recent
North Stand Chants
Wollo-Wollo-
Recent
Rumours thread
Wollo-Wollo-
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Film game
Boss Hog
55s
Whitehaven
Wollo-Wollo-
59s
Shopping list for 2025
Mild Rover
59s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
chapylad
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
The emperors new clothes
Prince Buste
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
North Stand Chants
Wollo-Wollo-
1m
Sunday v Wakefield
Tony Fax
1m
Other Championship Clubs
Dr Dreadnoug
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Whitehaven
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Round 23 Cats at Home
Barrieā€™s Gla
TODAY
Fax away
FIL
TODAY
Squad for Castleford
CM Punk
TODAY
The silence from the club is deafening
tommyfromhul
TODAY
Doncaster A
dddooommm
TODAY
Whitehaven
Tony Fax
TODAY
The emperors new clothes
Prince Buste
TODAY
James Donaldson
tigertot
TODAY
Wigan v Hull
NSW
TODAY
Sunday v Wakefield
Tony Fax
TODAY
Changes Proposed to the Quota Rule
jonh
TODAY
NRL Takeover talk should we be worried
number 6
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 23
ducknumber1
TODAY
A Tribute to Ken Rollin
JamieRobinso
TODAY
New Whitehaven Coach
weighman
TODAY
Tom Opacic to leave at the end of the season
Huddersfield
TODAY
The new coach
Huddersfield
TODAY
I struggle with this
Septimius Se
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Castleford Away
karetaker
TODAY
End of the game
sandcat20
TODAY
Thoughs on the magic weekend
Huddersfield
TODAY
trump v Harris in the race for the WH
Huddersfield
TODAY
North Stand Chants
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Top Position
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Pearson
Chris71
TODAY
RIP Ken Rollin
Trin e ti
TODAY
The Band
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Sky and Josh Warrington
Rixy
TODAY
Points difference
Deadcowboys1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Level Second..
Emphatic Win For The Warriors ..
London Broncos Thrash Hull FC ..
Leigh Leopards Defeat Hull Wit..
Sensational Leeds Rhinos Thras..
Catalans Squeeze Past The Gian..
Saints Win Golden Point Thrill..
First Half Wigan Blitz Overcom..
London Broncos Victorious Over..
Salford Win the Mid Table Batt..
Saints Back To Winning Ways Wi..
Hull KR Top of the League With..
Wakefield Trinity Back to Winn..
Catalans Dragons Defeat Hull F..
Salford Move Closer To Play Of..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.62M +12,885 80,09814,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R25
10:50
Wests
v
Manly
 Fri 23rd Aug
09:00
NZ Warriors
v
Canterbury
11:00
Brisbane
v
Parramatta
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R23
20:00
Castleford
v
Warrington
Leeds
v
Catalans
 Sat 24th Aug
06:00
Canberra
v
Penrith
08:30
Melbourne
v
Dolphins
10:35
Souths
v
Newcastle
14:00
Salford
v
Huddersfield
15:00
St.Helens
v
Hull KR
       Championship 2024-R23
18:00
Featherstone
v
Toulouse
 Sun 25th Aug
05:00
Gold Coast
v
Sydney
07:05
St.George
v
Cronulla
       League One 2024-R21
13:00
Oldham
v
Cornwall
LondonB
v
Leigh
Wigan
v
Hull FC
       League One 2024-R21
Keighley
v
Hunslet
Rochdale
v
Crusaders
Workington
v
Newcastle
       Championship 2024-R23
Barrow
v
Swinton
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 23rd Aug
SL
Castleford-Warrington
SL
Leeds-Catalans
Sat 24th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Hull KR
SL
14:00
Salford-Huddersfield
Sun 25th Aug
SL
LondonB-Leigh
SL
Wigan-Hull FC
Fri 30th Aug
SL
Hull KR-Salford
SL
Leigh-Warrington
Sat 31st Aug
SL
Hull FC-Castleford
SL
Catalans-Wigan
Sun 1st Sep
SL
Huddersfield-St.Helens
SL
LondonB-Leeds
Fri 6th Sep
SL
Castleford-Leigh
SL
Leeds-Hull FC
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
SL
Wigan-Hull KR
Sat 7th Sep
SL
18:00
Salford-Catalans
Sun 8th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-LondonB
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
Sun 18th Aug
L1 20 Cornwall6-18Midlands
L1 20 Hunslet28-20Crusaders
L1 20 Keighley12-20Oldham
CH 22 Bradford21-22Featherstone
CH 22 Dewsbury24-31Barrow
CH 22 Swinton20-6Halifax
CH 22 Wakefield36-12Widnes
CH 22 Whitehaven28-24Doncaster
SL 22 Leigh26-0Salford
SL 22 Catalans4-36Hull KR
SL 22 Huddersfield20-12Castleford
NRL 24 St.George32-16Gold Coast
NRL 24 Cronulla19-18Newcastle
Sat 17th Aug
L1 20 Newcastle6-78Rochdale
CH 22 Toulouse12-20York
SL 22 Warrington24-6Leeds
SL 22 Wigan20-0St.Helens
SL 22 Hull FC4-29LondonB
NRL 24 Canterbury30-10Dolphins
NRL 24 NQL Cowboys42-4Canberra
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 22 575 269 306 34
Wigan 22 547 294 253 34
Warrington 22 562 295 267 32
St.Helens 22 518 298 220 26
Catalans 22 403 344 59 26
Salford 22 393 425 -32 26

Leigh 22 466 326 140 23
Leeds 22 407 392 15 22
Huddersfield 22 392 488 -96 16
Castleford 22 354 579 -225 13
Hull FC 22 290 683 -393 6
LondonB 22 261 775 -514 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 20 704 240 464 38
Sheffield 20 530 369 161 26
Toulouse 19 546 264 282 25
Bradford 20 500 343 157 24
Widnes 20 446 363 83 23
Featherstone 20 494 396 98 22

York 21 520 407 113 20
Batley 20 350 410 -60 20
Doncaster 20 382 478 -96 19
Halifax 20 400 509 -109 16