FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leigh Leopards > Too close for comfort.
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member756
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1088.jpg
Come On Leythers!!:1088.jpg

Quote: ryan "Would like remind people,middle eights are not till the end of July,there is a lot of rugby to be played before then.Last season we were battering everybody out of sight and were did that get us come the end of season. We have had loads of disruptions this season,with one thing or another,but after all that we are still top at the half way stage.Im not convinced about SL teams being stronger this season than last,everybody beating each other,look at Wigan at Wakefield and Hull KR at Cas this week.Lets hope we can build from here and get a settled team and see were we are,come the middle 8s.Onwards and Upwards'"

Yep. Said that last week in my post after the cup game. Don't see why people are panicking. I'd be worried if we were Bradford right now. But we're top.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Miss%20Piggy.gif
LIVING THE DREAM ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPER LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS! ''All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them'':Black Backgrounds/Miss%20Piggy.gif

Not sure why people think we were battering people out of sight this time last year, the facts show we score one try less per game a year later. This despite not having settled pivots apart from Mickey, this despite coach quitting, this despite top try scorer quitting, this despite a horrendous injury crisis, this despite having to use 4/5 loanees.

We will only get better, and who ever is in the 8's we will more than give a game to....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain309
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Agree. Castleford could be there for the taking if their current form continues. Especially if they have a run in the cup. On a form line through Oldham /KR we are about 90 points better. (Then again on a line through Toulouse we would be lucky to beat Rochdale) which shows how unpredictable it is. A MPG against anyone could be treated as chance to revisit the spirit of 71.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7175.jpg
get leigh outta wigan:7175.jpg

Quote: Loudleyther "Yep. Said that last week in my post after the cup game. Don't see why people are panicking. I'd be worried if we were Bradford right now. But we're top.'"

No one’s panicking, said last week we have still got time to improve, it’s just that we are showing very little if any signs of doing so, I also said we peaked to early last season, this year we are playing nowhere near our potential, but I doubt we can just flick a switch come the 8’s and suddenly become a wonder team.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

There has been no improvement in the number of technical penalties we are getting pinged for, or the ball handling, or the game management ie stupid offloads in our own 20/30. The improvement needs to start happening from our next game. We will be going nowhere averaging 16 penalties a game. Neil Jukes said he was aiming at an average of about 7 penalties a game. To make that we would not have to give another penalty away in our next 10 games

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain309
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Totally frustrating plus it gives the opposition a real boost. Jukes should get Alex Murphy in for consultancy on putting players on the bollocking mat - not "we talked about it in training". It does reflect badly on Neil - double penalties for talking back to ref are unprofessional.

Any bonuses should be paid on completed sets. Fines for speaking to the ref. Sin Bin home by public transport.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1771
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10842.jpg
:10842.jpg

I cant believe all the critics on here complaining about our performances every week. Yes the spectacular flowing rugby is not with us this year mainly because two the exponents of the speed stuff have either left or, long term injured!
We have played Batley,Bradford,Halifax,Dewsbury and Featherstone away and, not one of them at home yet ! and, we are currently top of the league!!
I don't know what position people watched the game from on Sunday but I was pretty central and had a good view of all that was going on. It was pretty obvious from the start Fev were targeting Hock and Childs was loving it ! If Hock swore at Childs? I bet he didn't more then me! Every game he refs us in is controversial and we did magnificent to win that game. How Fev never managed to have a player binned is beyond me? Some of the penalties he gave against us were mysterious? even the Fev fans around me were puzzled by them! After the match Neil Jukes said on the radio that many of the penalties were inconsistent and that's putting it mildly!!
I thought Rangi was superb on his return and will only get better, Fev certainly welcomed him back!! Did Gareth Hock bite Richard Whiting? because, according to Childs, he committed every other offence!
Big Raps for Adam Higson without his defensive efforts and all round play we would not have won that game! His chase and tackle on their winger is the best I've seen from a Leigh Winger since Dessie's effort to stop HKR's Hubbard in the 1982 CC game at Hull eusa_clap.gif Adam has redeemed himself after his nightmare at Bradford carry on lad my MOM !!
Our defence is top drawer lets appreciate this facet this season and hope it brings us the ultimate goal which, we badly missed out on last year!
I don't know how successful Neil Jukes will be as Leigh Coach however, looking at the League table you would have to say he's doing something right! Lets give the lad a proper chance and support him instead of insulting him by suggesting more experienced coaches could benefit him, Brian McDermott is rated highly however, he is struggling to get results and, he has some of the best talent available!
Lets have less negativity / criticism and get behind our team!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4988
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5722_1536610758.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5722.jpg

Quote: kirkhall "I cant believe all the critics on here complaining about our performances every week. Yes the spectacular flowing rugby is not with us this year mainly because two the exponents of the speed stuff have either left or, long term injured!
We have played Batley,Bradford,Halifax,Dewsbury and Featherstone away and, not one of them at home yet ! and, we are currently top of the league!!
I don't know what position people watched the game from on Sunday but I was pretty central and had a good view of all that was going on. It was pretty obvious from the start Fev were targeting Hock and Childs was loving it ! If Hock swore at Childs? I bet he didn't more then me! Every game he refs us in is controversial and we did magnificent to win that game. How Fev never managed to have a player binned is beyond me? Some of the penalties he gave against us were mysterious? even the Fev fans around me were puzzled by them! After the match Neil Jukes said on the radio that many of the penalties were inconsistent and that's putting it mildly!!
I thought Rangi was superb on his return and will only get better, Fev certainly welcomed him back!! Did Gareth Hock bite Richard Whiting? because, according to Childs, he committed every other offence!
Big Raps for Adam Higson without his defensive efforts and all round play we would not have won that game! His chase and tackle on their winger is the best I've seen from a Leigh Winger since Dessie's effort to stop HKR's Hubbard in the 1982 CC game at Hull
I like it thanks for posting that, i couldn't have said it better

RankPostsTeam
International Star1308
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2018Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59517_1304608097.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59517.jpg

Quote: Tipster Ste "Not sure why people think we were battering people out of sight this time last year, the facts show we score one try less per game a year later. This despite not having settled pivots apart from Mickey, this despite coach quitting, this despite top try scorer quitting, this despite a horrendous injury crisis, this despite having to use 4/5 loanees.

We will only get better, and who ever is in the 8's we will more than give a game to....'"

Agreed, we were grinding out a few close wins last season too. Considering who we've played, the injuries we've had & how the standard of The Championship has improved we're doing very well. However that "We'll see out a close win, it's OK we'll just score more than you, not quite playing our best for the full 80 min but still getting the win" attitude is where we came unstuck against Hull KR & Wakefield in the Qualifiers & where we went wrong. I said at the start of the season I'd like to see us really go all out, put some teams to the sword & play every second as if it's 0-0 with 1 minute left. As it's only with that attitude you'll beat a SL club fighting for their lives. I've yet to see that so far this season. We're half way through the league now, getting our injured backs back & Jukes is settling into the job well. Time to start getting into that attitude we'll need when the SL clubs come to town, we've got the talent (I still think we had the talent last season) but do we have the attitude & game management?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7175.jpg
get leigh outta wigan:7175.jpg

Quote: kirkhall "I cant believe all the critics on here complaining about our performances every week. Yes the spectacular flowing rugby is not with us this year mainly because two the exponents of the speed stuff have either left or, long term injured!
Big Raps for Adam Higson without his defensive efforts and all round play we would not have won that game! His chase and tackle on their winger is the best I've seen from a Leigh Winger since Dessie's effort to stop HKR's Hubbard in the 1982 CC game at Hull
I have and always will voice my opinion on how we have played be it good, bad or indifferent, at this moment you may feel that I’m being over critical, but we have been a joy to watch these last few years and with the new signings we have made, we should be in a position to kick on, and although we do see small glimpses of what we could be capable of, we are not playing anywhere near our potential, you can shove as many facts, figures, and excuses in my direction that you want, it doesn’t change what I see.

I wouldn’t class our defence as great when we let both Bradford and Fev back into it from comfortable leads, I guess we blame Childs for the Fev one, but if Hock did swear at a Referee then that’s stupid and deserves a card and so does Acton’s tripping, so correct decisions. I also doubt when we look back he will have got many of the other decisions wrong as generally I find referees do get more right than wrong, hence why I doubt you’ll find many if any posts from me blaming a Ref.

Oh and whilst I’m on my soap box there is no such thing as a bad off load (unless it goes forward) you have 12 other players (unless we have 2 in the bin icon_wink.gif ) on your team why wasn’t one of them there to catch it?

Come on Jukes let’s get our house in order, and show the RL world what we are capable of.

And just for the record I’ve been getting behind this team/club for 50yrs, and this current team is nowhere near as bad as some of the teams I’ve seen. icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44700_1440358680.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44700.jpg

Quote: kirkhall "I cant believe all the critics on here complaining....'"

It is called having an opinion, do you expect everyone to agree with yours?

If we don't improve our discipline we have no chance in the play offs whether we play an expansive game or not.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain6902
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: Tipster Ste "Not sure why people think we were battering people out of sight this time last year, the facts show we score one try less per game a year later. This despite not having settled pivots apart from Mickey, this despite coach quitting, this despite top try scorer quitting, this despite a horrendous injury crisis, this despite having to use 4/5 loanees.

We will only get better, and who ever is in the 8's we will more than give a game to....'"

People only see whats happening visually. An accumulation of points compared to last season is irrelevant.A better scenario would be to show trys scored and conceded in the first ten games.

2015 (first 10 games) Scored 76 Trys
2016 (first 10 games) Scored 61 Trys

2015 (first 10 games) Conceded 20 Trys
2016 (first 10 games) Conceded 36 Trys

So visually people have seen less trys scored and more trys conceded than last season already.Now we currently stand the worse in the League for yellow cards (10) some of them given under the team warning.
Technical penalties are costing us performance,they are the reason there's no flow,deal with them and the ball will flow.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

Not to bothered about an expansive game, I would however prefer a disciplined game and as many of them are technical which we are getting penalised for so they must be easier to avoid in coaching terms. So why hasn't there been any improvement?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

'Cos we keep getting the same refs and they are pulling us for their pet offences? icon_wink.gif I wonder how many we would concede with Thaler in charge?

Seriously though, the 'technical' offences have been for interference, offside, not playing the ball properly, not square, ball stealing etc. I'm not disputing the correctness of any of these decisions but, as our coach has suggested, just about every play the ball in 80 minutes, can be pinged for one of those offences. It doesn't help when the ref retreats anywhere between seven and fifteen metres for the ptb.

High tackles and talking back are inexcusable - yet we had examples of Griffin apparently assaulting at least two of our players, and Thackeray constantly bending the ref's ear on Sunday, and the best the official could manage was a benevolent smile, to the offender.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there doesn't seem (in my opinion) to be a lot of consistency from the refs - even from the same one!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1771
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10842.jpg
:10842.jpg

Quote: glow "I have and always will voice my opinion on how we have played be it good, bad or indifferent, at this moment you may feel that I’m being over critical, but we have been a joy to watch these last few years and with the new signings we have made, we should be in a position to kick on, and although we do see small glimpses of what we could be capable of, we are not playing anywhere near our potential, you can shove as many facts, figures, and excuses in my direction that you want, it doesn’t change what I see.

I wouldn’t class our defence as great when we let both Bradford and Fev back into it from comfortable leads, I guess we blame Childs for the Fev one, but if Hock did swear at a Referee then that’s stupid and deserves a card and so does Acton’s tripping, so correct decisions. I also doubt when we look back he will have got many of the other decisions wrong as generally I find referees do get more right than wrong, hence why I doubt you’ll find many if any posts from me blaming a Ref.

Oh and whilst I’m on my soap box there is no such thing as a bad off load (unless it goes forward) you have 12 other players (unless we have 2 in the bin I'm not suggesting people should not post their opinions after all, that's why we come on here !
Blaming the Ref is easy of course however, this guy is controversial and our players seemed perplexed by his decisions ! whenever he refs a game its only remembered for his interventions which, are many! I can't remember the last time I saw a penalty at a scrum? this bloke gave three in one match!!
I'm sure AJ would hold his hand and admit had he defended better at Bradford, then we would surely have won?
The 'comeback' at Fev is entirely due their farcical pitch, (its more suited for climbing than Rugby icon_biggrin.gif ) you can be a thousand miles from Fev, hear the half time score and virtually know which way a team have played! invariably the scores even out in the second half so teams collapsing, isn't a fair assumption! Batley's ground is exactly the same! Maybe the LSV could install a tilting system to help Fev and Batley feel more at home icon_lol.gif
For the record, i'm in my 62nd year following Leigh and, this team is definitely not the worst nor, is the Coach!

62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.39453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
weaver93
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
24s
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
32s
Odsal lease up for sale
Bull Mania
54s
Rumours and signings v9
[Gareth]
1m
Saints h
moto748
1m
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
1m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
2m
Round 17 Warrington Away
Once were Lo
2m
Recruitment rumours and links
karetaker
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Toulouse game
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Ashton extends contract
chris2925
TODAY
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
TODAY
Sackings
SFW
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
FIL
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Redscat
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
the-bearded-
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Once were Lo
TODAY
Saints h
moto748
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
christopher
TODAY
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
TODAY
Wakefield H
Bullseye
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,727 ↑5980,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
17:30
Catalans
v
Salford
 TOMORROW
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R15
Oldham
v
Crusaders
Workington
v
Rochdale
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
17:05
Manly
v
Newcastle
 Wed 17th Jul
     State of Origin 2023-R3
11:05
Queensland
v
New South Wales
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Fri 12th Jul
NRL 19 Cronulla58-6Wests
SL 17 LondonB20-34Castleford
WSL2024 8 WiganW12-16St.HelensW
SL 17 Wigan16-12St.Helens
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 16 443 182 261 28
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 17 441 186 255 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 17 280 455 -175 11
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 17 176 649 -473 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10