JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Jack, yes I'd rather have one year in SL and flop than never make it, especially as that's what the club has been striving for for nearly 30 years (having been booted out from the top flight after finishing 11th of 16). And let's face it we can't do much worse than Wakefield have this year.

I would think we will be full time if we go up. We have a lot of players at the moment who don't have a job outside RL but quite a few who do (Lockwood, Hardcastle, Davies etc) and it would have been folly for the club to turn its back on those players whilst still in the Championship.

We will need to replace a number of players if we do go up (I think 3 of our forwards might retire), but unless you are in a financial position to provide guaranteed SL-level salaries it's very difficult to attract the right type of player until you know that you're promoted and will be getting £1.5 million (or whatever it is now) rather than £200k. The same will apply to every other club currently in the Championship.

That said, Mark Campbell is nobody's fool and I think he'll have a proper dig if Fev do go up.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player594
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78326_1605314550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78326.jpg

No more promotion and relegation based on results alone. Finishing 12 is not a death sentence, there is a huge band of Category B clubs, and personally I think Fev are in a better position than Wakefield off the field. They may even increase Super League to 13 or 14 teams in the near future if ratings are close.
A large chunk of change from being in Super League will cover the wages for next year, but finding Super League calibre players is not easy.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player199No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Without trying to compare Rugby to Football, if we need to make our game stronger at club level and get fans excited we must look at the import ruling.
Premier League is awash with non English players as it’s all about the entertainment.
The standard down under in reserve grade is unbelievable and I firmly believe that we could have a strong 14 team super league if these rules were relaxed for say 5 years and give teams time to develop academies from 16 years old.
The bigger clubs at the top of the pyramid will of course use this to their advantage but it will mean quality talent used to playing at a high level is not lost completely and the lower teams would benefit.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Septimius Severus "No more promotion and relegation based on results alone. Finishing 12 is not a death sentence, there is a huge band of Category B clubs, and personally I think Fev are in a better position than Wakefield off the field. They may even increase Super League to 13 or 14 teams in the near future if ratings are close.
A large chunk of change from being in Super League will cover the wages for next year, but finding Super League calibre players is not easy.'"

I would like to see SL increased to 14 teams but what type of TV deal, if any, are we going to get from SKY. If there is one, it won't be good enough to support 14 teams.

As I've stated before both codes of Rugby are in a dire financial mess (London Irish are looking like the next club to be thrown out of the Premiership) so it makes sense to eventually bring them both back together as one code to make rugby a true National sport. It won't happen overnight but I can see it happening some years down the line. I don't know what format the hybrid game would take but I can see it happening. Union is getting faster with rule changes coming in to speed the game up and you can see the League influence with sliding defences and acrobatic tries scored by the wingers. The best 2 International Union teams are Ireland and France coached by legends of our game, Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards, and now Kevin Sinfield is part of the England coaching set up. Maybe with the League influence, the 2 codes will slowly evolve into 1 game.

Some people will probably say it will never happen but in 1895 they were probably saying a breakaway code would never happen.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain403
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73945_1625172747.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73945.jpg

8000+ tonight, seems we don't need a train station to get fans in.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3362
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74208_1661111029.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74208.jpg

Nor do we need a freight train to deliver tries and wins.

Best win of the year for Bongser who is also delighted for Powell's rejects, tries aside. Full marks to Adrian Lam.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player594
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78326_1605314550.jpg

Quote: Bent&Bongser "Nor do we need a freight train to deliver tries and wins.

Best win of the year for Bongser who is also delighted for Powell's rejects, tries aside. Full marks to Adrian Lam.'"

Agreed, even bigger than Saints

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4000
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17580.jpg
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can. “Up The Comics !”:17580.jpg

I respect everyones opinions, especially those who have spent so many years supporting our club but,
As long as Derek is in charge, I am 100% certain we will always play in Leigh. Our next move, if there is one, will be when we are filling the LSV every week and losing revenue because it simply isn’t big enough. Will that happen, likely not, but it for me is more likely than Leigh playing regular home games outside of our town.
I also don’t see a merged code game as the way forward or likely at all. The only way that happens is if the rugby world stage goes that route, and that is never going to happen.
As for a brand, it is all about instant recognition based on a visual and, or, a single word/phrase. With that instant recognition comes more fans and a greater revenue from all the various sources. Can a brand be successfully moved, yes, but ours is intrinsically linked to the loyalty of our town/fans, and the most passionate of those fans is our owner.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

VL it will happen eventually. The financial situation and TV deals will demand it but as I say, the influence of our RL legends, who have regrettably been lost to our game, is already speeding Union up and over time as more tweaks are made Union will have evolved to the point where there won't be much difference between the 2 codes and the natural progression will be to merge back to one code of Rugby. It isn't going to happen overnight, maybe 10 or 15 years, but it will happen. Both codes are suffering financially and if SKY drop League or cut our funds drastically many League clubs will struggle to survive. And, as I've said, nearly all of the Union clubs are millions of pounds in debt. They've only got 10 clubs in the Premiership next season once London Irish go under.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4000
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17580.jpg
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can. “Up The Comics !”:17580.jpg

Quote: WYSIWYG2 "VL it will happen eventually. The financial situation and TV deals will demand it but as I say, the influence of our RL legends, who have regrettably been lost to our game, is already speeding Union up and over time as more tweaks are made Union will have evolved to the point where there won't be much difference between the 2 codes and the natural progression will be to merge back to one code of Rugby. It isn't going to happen overnight, maybe 10 or 15 years, but it will happen. Both codes are suffering financially and if SKY drop League or cut our funds drastically many League clubs will struggle to survive. And, as I've said, nearly all of the Union clubs are millions of pounds in debt. They've only got 10 clubs in the Premiership next season once London Irish go under.'"

We will have to agree to disagree on the merge of codes I’m afraid. And no issue with that. If we all had the same opinions the world would be a boring place icon_thumb.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain336
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Septimius Severus "Agreed, even bigger than Saints'"

Tempted to go even further best display ever at lsv the level we achieved in that first 30 mins the character and togetherness shown to see the game out surpassed all previous

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB181.gif
:cartoons/WB181.gif

Quote: WYSIWYG2 "VL it will happen eventually. The financial situation and TV deals will demand it but as I say, the influence of our RL legends, who have regrettably been lost to our game, is already speeding Union up and over time as more tweaks are made Union will have evolved to the point where there won't be much difference between the 2 codes and the natural progression will be to merge back to one code of Rugby. It isn't going to happen overnight, maybe 10 or 15 years, but it will happen. Both codes are suffering financially and if SKY drop League or cut our funds drastically many League clubs will struggle to survive. And, as I've said, nearly all of the Union clubs are millions of pounds in debt. They've only got 10 clubs in the Premiership next season once London Irish go under.'"

I cut off some lovely cheese from the moon to put on my crackers last night and kids were free with adults paying £1.
RL are not suffering financially as we have cut our clothe at SL level, the pain is getting to SL and that’s why a virtual closed shop will happen soon in both codes.
You have a very limited understanding of debt, most folk go into debt to buy a house, they spend money on it and often extend it hoping it increases in price over time. Other folk think nothing of spending tens of thousands on a night out, they see £400m if debt at a soccer club as nothing.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player594
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78326_1605314550.jpg

Rugby League is the game of choice in Australia, PNG, Samoa and Tonga. Rugby Union is the game of choice in the Northern Hemisphere, South Africa and Argentina. Rugby League teams can survive with squads around 30, Rugby Union needs about 50 players. I think they use 15 in the team and about 8 subs. That is a much larger wage bill. Rugby League decided that Flankers were not needed, 2 less mouths to feed and more space on the field.
Rugby Union in the UK will never allow a dilution of their game, even though the biggest issues in the game are Scrums and Line-Outs and 2 extra players. I can't see anyway the two codes could ever find a common ground. It would be like asking Whitehaven and Workington to merge to form a Cumbrian Super League team.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: maurice "I cut off some lovely cheese from the moon to put on my crackers last night and kids were free with adults paying £1.
RL are not suffering financially as we have cut our clothe at SL level, the pain is getting to SL and that’s why a virtual closed shop will happen soon in both codes.
You have a very limited understanding of debt, most folk go into debt to buy a house, they spend money on it and often extend it hoping it increases in price over time. Other folk think nothing of spending tens of thousands on a night out, they see £400m if debt at a soccer club as nothing.'"

You obviously don't have the vaguest idea of the turmoil League will be in if SKY cut their ties with SL this season, nor of the impending financial collapse on the horizon with the failure already of several large US banks plus Credit Suisse. Not to mention the threat the BRICS countries pose to the US dollar as the reserve currency. With a bit of luck your bank will raid your account in a bail-in and any investments you have will plummet
to zero and you will get a great dose of financial reality most people are facing.

So do us all a favour Maurice and keep your condescending ramblings in your fairytale world of 'I'm Alright Jack'

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/4864-863FALH-msnicons.jpg
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?:icons077e_files/4864-863FALH-msnicons.jpg

Why would he move us out of Leigh?
I'll agree to disagree with you on this assumption.

85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.5947265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
16m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
39m