Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50409_1268084441.jpg
Deus Dat Incrementum:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50409.jpg

Quote: DemonUK "Its not often SKY get more than 100k for televised games. How does that entice sponsors? Warringtons new sponsor is 'Bensons for Beds', hardly a high profile sponsor.'"

I'm led to believe they have signed one of the clubs biggest ever sponsor deals, and they are donating £1,000 to Help for Heroes every time we win. Sorry if it's not quite Orford Concrete. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2012Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif

Good. So about £10000 a season. icon_wink.gif Wish they'd sponsor the team I support.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/4864-863FALH-msnicons.jpg
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?:icons077e_files/4864-863FALH-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Wembley71 "

It sold thousands of tickets (more than we have ever done) for a mid-season no-contest international at Leyth against France. '"

Not a very good comparison to highlight..................For the record I thought there was an excellent % of Leythers for that game, in comparison to a lot of folk from opposing clubs who could nt make the journey through a lack of a rail link.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

Quote: Ganson's Optician "I'm led to believe they have signed one of the clubs biggest ever sponsor deals, and they are donating £1,000 to Help for Heroes every time we win. Sorry if it's not quite Orford Concrete.
icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7676
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28343_1268949591.gif
" Time is but a flowing stream". Pedro. Higherfold Cockey Pond. 1973. You can shout for silence, but boots worn all day will always hum.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28343.gif

Quote: Wembley71 "The RFL, remember, has run at a profit for the past few years, has been in a position to bail out Crusaders and Quins, and actually a number of other heartland clubs, too. But the conclusion??

Its showcase events - Wembley and the GF - sold out this year. The RFL invented Magic Weekend. It sold thousands of tickets (more than we have ever done) for a mid-season no-contest international at Leyth against France. It runs the NR Cup Final and the Championship Finals day. It has an award-winning junior development programme..'"

Can you tell me which heartland clubs the RFL have helped bail out and the England France game had a bigger crowd than two of the 4 Nations games in an area where RL is their national sport. Not being nasty Wembly because you say a lot of good things to say but your view of the RFL is a little rose tinted sometimes. This next season will see if the decisions that they have made are going to be good for our game because there are more and more clubs every season that are finding it harder to survive and you can't just plonk it in the clubs laps when the structure of the game is biased against them.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3545.jpg
:3545.jpg

Quote: TV BOY " ...because there are more and more clubs every season that are finding it harder to survive and you can't just plonk it in the clubs laps when the structure of the game is biased against them. '"

Some sympathies with the structral comment... though a 3 year licence was supposed to help clubs in SL and Championship to plan more effectively... but I think you can ONLY plonk it in the lap of the clubs, because they are independent businesses with a pretty good idea of what central income they will receive from tv and sponsorship deals.

Running ANY business is simple - spend less than you bring in, and you'll do well. Spend more than you bring in, and you'll go bankrupt. It baffles me that club directors, who make their money doing this, suddenly forget when they take over a club.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

3 year licence....It looks like the Welsh franchise of Celtic Crusaders which lasted one year to become Crusaders for year 2 is now to become Welsh Crusaders for year 3 (so a new club let in each year) due to the fact that the Crusaders are unlikely to survive the winding up order.

rlLINK HERErl

One word, farcical

It also suggests Leigh and Widnes might not be to happy.....can't imagine why

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7676
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28343_1268949591.gif
" Time is but a flowing stream". Pedro. Higherfold Cockey Pond. 1973. You can shout for silence, but boots worn all day will always hum.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28343.gif

Under the old companies act does it not mean that the company directors are not allowed to be board members of another company for five years. Also any money owed to parties employed by the old company are known as creditors and have to get back their money via the liquidators which never usually happens. Can anyone tell me the differnce between winding up a company and going into liquidation? Does one mean it clears its depts and the other tries to by selling its assetts?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3545.jpg
:3545.jpg

Quote: TV BOY "Under the old companies act does it not mean that the company directors are not allowed to be board members of another company for five years. Also any money owed to parties employed by the old company are known as creditors and have to get back their money via the liquidators which never usually happens. Can anyone tell me the differnce between winding up a company and going into liquidation? Does one mean it clears its depts and the other tries to by selling its assetts?'"

Directors are only banned from being a Director if they are disbarred, which can happen if anything illegal has been suggested, or if they have failed to meet any obligations on them as directors. Companies go out of business all the time, that's not illegal.... although it IS illegal to keep trading when the company directors know it to be insolvent. You get in less trouble for closing a company than for keeping a bankrupt company going.

Winding up is the process by which a company is closed, which can be done voluntarily by the directors and shareholders themselves (if, say, they just want to close a business for whatever reason) or can be forced by a third party that is owed money. Liquidation is an end-part of that process, by which all of the assets of the closing company are made 'liquid', i.e. turned from fixed assets (objects, like computers or cars) into disposable & transferrable assets (i.e. money).

As/when a company closes, its liquid assets (money) are used to pay off anyone that the company owes money to. Anything left is distributed as the shareholders choose, or if not is taken by the government. If there is not enough to pay the creditors, then some arrangement is made to pay a proportion of the debts in an order of priority. If the winding up & liquidation process is no volutary (i.e. is because a third party like HMRC is owed money), that can affect the order and priority in which debts are settled. There can be complex legal arguments about who gets what, etc.

One of the really important bits is the 'Limited' tag on the end of a company name. 'Limited Liability' is a legal status of companies, which means the personal liability of the shareholders (NOT Directors) to pay off the debts, is limited to the amount of share capital (money) they have invested in the company. This can be as little as a couple of pounds. It means creditors cannot personally sue the shareholders to get their money back. Without this protection, nobody would ever start a company.

The only redress creditors have is if they can show that the Directors or shareholders did something ILLEGAL and therefore have a personal liability for the outcome that is not protected by the Limited Liability status of the company. That might include trading while insolvent. But, in broad terms, a company in debt can be wound up, and a new company created by the same people doing the same thing the very next day.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg

The business over the missing pension payments involves illegality doesn't it, although I suspect Mr Samuels may be to blame there

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2012Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif

Whilst I am totally opposed to franchising but not expansion I do not think people put money into any sporting club to make money and so from that point of view I do not think it should be equated with running a buisness.

A backer of a particular club would know how much money he/she was prepared to stump up every season and I expect that would 'or should' determine how much a club spends.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1392.gif
Mines a pint... 'Hi-Ho Silver Lining' Headingley 05th October 2014.:1392.gif

Quote: DemonUK "3 year licence....It looks like the Welsh franchise of Celtic Crusaders which lasted one year to become Crusaders for year 2 is now to become Welsh Crusaders for year 3 (so a new club let in each year) due to the fact that the Crusaders are unlikely to survive the winding up order.

rlLINK HERErl

One word, farcical

It also suggests Leigh and Widnes might not be to happy.....can't imagine why'"

Not sure why they need to mention Leigh or Widnes in that article, its has nothing to do with our club or Widnes.

In effect Celtic /Crusaders / Welsh are looking increasingly like another London Crusaders / Bronco's / Quins.
I hope we get lucky and we see a return and people in Wrexham (its not a million miles from Widnes so hardly 'groundbreaking expansion') really take to the game and become properly part of the fabric.
If however we here of another name change next season then I'm sorry it will be seen for what it is - a Farce.

However once the dust has settled in Wrexham we need to look at why the heartlands continues to diminish to become a football hotbed and our 2nd tier of RL is having so much trouble.
Its all well and good expanding (in fact I'd imagine 99% of Leigh fans are for expansion - afterall we've watched our team in more expansion areas than most clubs) but lets ensure the games foundations arn't rotting - currently for whatever reason they are - last years attendances (expecially in Champ 1) should have alarm bells blasting out at Red Hall.

The Championship and Northern Rail cup need looking at, The Northern Rail Cup HAS to be seen as worth winning for more than a 'chance to apply for SL' and Championship 1 needs completley looking at in detail as the clubs are unable (or unwilling) to manage themselves.

In the Championship we have a evenly matched enjoyable competition but no-one seems too interested in watching it, the RFL and clubs need to do some head banging, in effect the Championship clubs (with the exception of Widnes) need to ignore SL and concentrate on getting our 'product' seen as worthy and worth being part of.

I've banged on about Leighs reluctance to do a family ticket and crazy prices for juniors, perhaps this is where the RFL can come on and part subsidise its lower league clubs and help them out, currently there is little incentive for a family to watch our league in comparrison to SL , RU or football.
If the RFL is making money how about a set amount of family or child tickets for each club purchased by them for sale by the member club at its ground to be sold at realistic 'headliner' prices (£25:00 for 2 adults and 2 Children , £ 17:00 for 1 adult 1 child etc, £3.00 for all children under 16 etc, etc) .
The club gains , but also the game gains, perhaps in return the member club agrees to sell (and push the boat out doing so) a specified amount of England RL tickets for the 4 nations / France game and tickets for the big RL events.

One thing is for sure, with clubs now always being deducted points we have to do something different, I'm pleased Welsh Crusaders are remaining part of the family, more important to me is the family doesn't become 'estranged' ,at the moment we are in danger of that happening.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg

Are the RFL throwing a lifeline for Blackpool?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach495No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Dec 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42708.gif
:42708.gif

Quote: DemonUK "Giving an opinion for discussion is spouting off, interesting. I also acknowledged my error.

Anyway my point is not any less diminished for the sake of 80000 viewers in the grand scheme of things. Live football on Sky gets between 1 and 2 million viewers, live rugby league generally probably gets on average between 80k and 200k

I would appreciate your view on the state of the game rather than just a criticism of an error on viewing figures. That error hardly takes it near the figures which terrestrial TV would give anyway. I know that terrestrial TV can not offer the money SKY pay us, however can't the RFL insist that more RL is sold to terrestrial at affordable prices by Sky, thus widening and vastly increasing the viewing figures and increasing the chance of more high profile sponsors backing our game.

Oh nearly forgot Mr Field. Have you stuck by your 'no season ticket for me next year' and joining the people of Leigh who you had a go at for not getting down to watch their team......sorry couldn't resist
posted my views many times on this subject. without skys money the game would have died as soon as union went pro.
how can anybody in their right mind expect to lindsay to say no to £86 million for a game played in yorkshire and lancs.
average crowds still much healthier in super league than they were before.
i get to see 2 or 3 live games every week.
we have a magazine show every week.
and our top players are paid a decent salary for putting their bodies on the line.

as for clubs being in debt what sporting clubs arent.

apart from that what have the romans ever done for us

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg

Well I haven't looked into what crowds were 'before' not sure how far back you have gone with that one. What I can tell you is in general terms crowds are dropping, only five SL clubs posted an increase this year on last. Millenium 'Magic' is not as magic as it was with crowds dropping each year. And no you don't turn your nose up at 86 million. What was the last Sky renewal.... 46 million? Can't remember but thats the figure stuck in my head.

But surely because 99% of our funding comes from one organisation, the have us by the short and curlys. Also clubs cannot run at a loss forever, sugar daddys still run out of money. If a club is to survive it has to be financially aware. Clubs posting losses year in year out and there are a few of those in RL are going to have to start reigning in their spending otherwise they will go the same way as Blackpool and Crusaders. In the last 3 months, we have had Haven into Administration, Blackpool I think have just about folded, winding up orders for Wakefield/Oldham/Crusaders. Who's next HKR? They haven't turned a profit in at least 5 years.

If clubs are running at a loss they are doing something wrong, if the money is not there you can't pay the players what you are paying them surely

74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.27294921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC