JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"we're just a VILLAGE in Wakefield":

Quote: Bent&Bongser "Well said, Moe. Your Leigh ticket gets you good pre-match entertainment too and, for Wire fans, the travel costs are lower than those of attending away games in Yorkshire.'"

Don't expect to take any food or drink in or you will have it taken,only ground i have ever been to that does that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bonnie "Don't expect to take any food or drink in or you will have it taken,only ground i have ever been to that does that.'"

its not a picnic

RankPostsTeam
International Star1080No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Jack Gaskell and Bent & Bongser, sorry I missed your posts, I forgot to check back in this thread.

I am more hopeful than confident about promotion this year, in my opinion we have been playing at a similar level to last year (amybe a bit better defensively but not on attack so far), we just don't have a Leigh to deal with this time! It's quite pleasing to see Leigh doing so well this year because you were so far ahead of us in the 2nd half of the year it would have been worrying for us if you had struggled in SL. BTW you're right B and B it was only at the 1895 Final where Leigh's superiority was really established but to be honest I did think the writing was on the wall before then.

A lot of people are looking at the league table and thinking it's a formality for Fev to get promoted but it will come down to 2 games at the end of the year (wrongly in my view but them's the rules). Halifax beat us and deservedly so in the Cup, Sheffield looked like beating us with 20 minutes to go at our place too, and if we catch them, or Toulouse, or Batley, or someone else on a good day for them in the play-offs we are far from certain to win - we don't have the same physical dominance over our rivals that Leigh did in the 2nd half of last year.

Then of course whoever does go up will have the same problem Leigh did a couple of years ago ie trying to recruit towards the end of the year after all the best players have gone. Unless you're in a position to offer SL-value contracts now, which no current Championship team is able to do, that's a really tough thing to do. But then we're into IMG's points-mean-prizes territory the year after, so who knows who that will favour!

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player279
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78329_1606162546.jpg
Graduate of Firs Maternity Home:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78329.jpg

Hi Phantom. Good to see you back again. Yes, winning promotion and then recruiting a side good enough to stay up is that eternal conundrum for all championship sides.

How to do it? Well it looks like Leigh have finally cracked it this season but has it provided a necessary blueprint for other Championship sides such as Fev?

As you have alluded, it has obviously been based on a much derided (sometimes quite rightly - even on this forum) lunatic fan of an owner who has the financial wherewithal to fund a Super League quality squad whilst in the Championship and then back it even further by recruiting Super League standard players mid Championship season for the forthcoming season all on the basis that the club would be a division higher. All of this with the knowledge that Leigh were just 80 minutes away from just one defeat in the play-offs that would have seen the plan and the dream die a complete death. What a gamble! A gamble indeed but one that seems to have come off - at last

Without a similar monied owner or owners who are prepared to splash the cash and gamble this season on success and to be planning and recruiting the right level of player now for next season, for it being a Super League season, then what are Fev to do? It is a tricky one.

Assuming for one moment Fev get promoted then leaving recruitment late will be fatal. I don't know how many of the current squad you think are good enough to step-up for a SL season but I am guessing you may well consider that quite a few of the current first team squad will need to be replaced with upgrades.

Fev certainly do not want to be gambling at the end of year having won promotion on NRL flotsam or voided contract Wakey players (they are a desperately poor quality bunch - there is not much meat on the bones there).

There is also the issue for you of going full time. Surely Fev cannot hope to survive in SL with a part-time squad. On this point perhaps you can shed some light. Last season there was much sympathy in the rugby press, albeit a predominantly Yorkshire based rugby press, that played to a narrative that it was plucky little part-time Fev who were taking it to the full time juggernaut funded by Derek's millions. This did not sit well with some of us here who suspected that a good part of Fev's team last year were to all intents and purposes full time professionals with the remainder part-time - in effect a hybrid squad.

I am guessing that something similar is happening this year but again, stepping up to a full time squad surely cannot wait for the pre-season to next season.

It's not easy, Leigh have failed miserably and worn the tee shirt - several times. The odds are just stacked against the newly promoted team staying up and the majority of SL team owners give the distinct impression that they just do not care a jot about changing the 'club' rules - so long as the team threatened to go down is not their team.

From your post you indicate that the money is just not there at Fev to recruit SL quality players now but surely at some point some money will need to be found and the cheque book is going to have to come out.

Maybe you can unearth another Jackson Hastings or a Brodie Croft, a star player in a key position who can just add gold dust to lesser standard players and where that star player just ignites the team to be better than the sum of its parts and Fev just have a brilliant season on the back of it and stay up.

Maybe, just maybe....... but I do not envy you the poison chalice that is otherwise the prize for promotion. It certainly will not be easy but as a fan is it not better to live the dream with the team struggling in SL than having (yet) another year running away with the Championship.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1080No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Jack, yes I'd rather have one year in SL and flop than never make it, especially as that's what the club has been striving for for nearly 30 years (having been booted out from the top flight after finishing 11th of 16). And let's face it we can't do much worse than Wakefield have this year.

I would think we will be full time if we go up. We have a lot of players at the moment who don't have a job outside RL but quite a few who do (Lockwood, Hardcastle, Davies etc) and it would have been folly for the club to turn its back on those players whilst still in the Championship.

We will need to replace a number of players if we do go up (I think 3 of our forwards might retire), but unless you are in a financial position to provide guaranteed SL-level salaries it's very difficult to attract the right type of player until you know that you're promoted and will be getting £1.5 million (or whatever it is now) rather than £200k. The same will apply to every other club currently in the Championship.

That said, Mark Campbell is nobody's fool and I think he'll have a proper dig if Fev do go up.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player594
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78326_1605314550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78326.jpg

No more promotion and relegation based on results alone. Finishing 12 is not a death sentence, there is a huge band of Category B clubs, and personally I think Fev are in a better position than Wakefield off the field. They may even increase Super League to 13 or 14 teams in the near future if ratings are close.
A large chunk of change from being in Super League will cover the wages for next year, but finding Super League calibre players is not easy.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player201No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Without trying to compare Rugby to Football, if we need to make our game stronger at club level and get fans excited we must look at the import ruling.
Premier League is awash with non English players as it’s all about the entertainment.
The standard down under in reserve grade is unbelievable and I firmly believe that we could have a strong 14 team super league if these rules were relaxed for say 5 years and give teams time to develop academies from 16 years old.
The bigger clubs at the top of the pyramid will of course use this to their advantage but it will mean quality talent used to playing at a high level is not lost completely and the lower teams would benefit.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Septimius Severus "No more promotion and relegation based on results alone. Finishing 12 is not a death sentence, there is a huge band of Category B clubs, and personally I think Fev are in a better position than Wakefield off the field. They may even increase Super League to 13 or 14 teams in the near future if ratings are close.
A large chunk of change from being in Super League will cover the wages for next year, but finding Super League calibre players is not easy.'"

I would like to see SL increased to 14 teams but what type of TV deal, if any, are we going to get from SKY. If there is one, it won't be good enough to support 14 teams.

As I've stated before both codes of Rugby are in a dire financial mess (London Irish are looking like the next club to be thrown out of the Premiership) so it makes sense to eventually bring them both back together as one code to make rugby a true National sport. It won't happen overnight but I can see it happening some years down the line. I don't know what format the hybrid game would take but I can see it happening. Union is getting faster with rule changes coming in to speed the game up and you can see the League influence with sliding defences and acrobatic tries scored by the wingers. The best 2 International Union teams are Ireland and France coached by legends of our game, Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards, and now Kevin Sinfield is part of the England coaching set up. Maybe with the League influence, the 2 codes will slowly evolve into 1 game.

Some people will probably say it will never happen but in 1895 they were probably saying a breakaway code would never happen.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain404
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73945_1625172747.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73945.jpg

8000+ tonight, seems we don't need a train station to get fans in.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3363
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74208_1661111029.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74208.jpg

Nor do we need a freight train to deliver tries and wins.

Best win of the year for Bongser who is also delighted for Powell's rejects, tries aside. Full marks to Adrian Lam.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player594
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78326_1605314550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78326.jpg

Quote: Bent&Bongser "Nor do we need a freight train to deliver tries and wins.

Best win of the year for Bongser who is also delighted for Powell's rejects, tries aside. Full marks to Adrian Lam.'"

Agreed, even bigger than Saints

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4001
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17580.jpg
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can. “Up The Comics !”:17580.jpg

I respect everyones opinions, especially those who have spent so many years supporting our club but,
As long as Derek is in charge, I am 100% certain we will always play in Leigh. Our next move, if there is one, will be when we are filling the LSV every week and losing revenue because it simply isn’t big enough. Will that happen, likely not, but it for me is more likely than Leigh playing regular home games outside of our town.
I also don’t see a merged code game as the way forward or likely at all. The only way that happens is if the rugby world stage goes that route, and that is never going to happen.
As for a brand, it is all about instant recognition based on a visual and, or, a single word/phrase. With that instant recognition comes more fans and a greater revenue from all the various sources. Can a brand be successfully moved, yes, but ours is intrinsically linked to the loyalty of our town/fans, and the most passionate of those fans is our owner.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

VL it will happen eventually. The financial situation and TV deals will demand it but as I say, the influence of our RL legends, who have regrettably been lost to our game, is already speeding Union up and over time as more tweaks are made Union will have evolved to the point where there won't be much difference between the 2 codes and the natural progression will be to merge back to one code of Rugby. It isn't going to happen overnight, maybe 10 or 15 years, but it will happen. Both codes are suffering financially and if SKY drop League or cut our funds drastically many League clubs will struggle to survive. And, as I've said, nearly all of the Union clubs are millions of pounds in debt. They've only got 10 clubs in the Premiership next season once London Irish go under.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4001
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17580.jpg
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can. “Up The Comics !”:17580.jpg

Quote: WYSIWYG2 "VL it will happen eventually. The financial situation and TV deals will demand it but as I say, the influence of our RL legends, who have regrettably been lost to our game, is already speeding Union up and over time as more tweaks are made Union will have evolved to the point where there won't be much difference between the 2 codes and the natural progression will be to merge back to one code of Rugby. It isn't going to happen overnight, maybe 10 or 15 years, but it will happen. Both codes are suffering financially and if SKY drop League or cut our funds drastically many League clubs will struggle to survive. And, as I've said, nearly all of the Union clubs are millions of pounds in debt. They've only got 10 clubs in the Premiership next season once London Irish go under.'"

We will have to agree to disagree on the merge of codes I’m afraid. And no issue with that. If we all had the same opinions the world would be a boring place icon_thumb.gif

85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.98583984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Chris71
3m
Decision on the field
Cruncher
10m
Rumours thread
vastman
18m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
Howfenwire
20m
Film game
Boss Hog
23m
Sam Burgess
Boss Hog
26m
Tonights match v HKR
Zig
31m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Neruda
41m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
41m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Sam Burgess
Boss Hog
28s
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
Mild Rover
30s
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
31s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
36s
TV Games - Not Hull
Chris71
50s
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
1m
Tonights match v HKR
Zig
1m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
2m
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Decision on the field
Cruncher
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
Howfenwire
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Boss Hog
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Zig
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
TODAY
Championship Awards
Butcher
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,334 80,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22