JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Miss%20Piggy.gif
LIVING THE DREAM ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPER LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS! ''All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them'':Black Backgrounds/Miss%20Piggy.gif

Quote: Starbug "Ste , I have a big problem with what you have just posted

From your sig and your posts a few years back , Arthur was the ' right people ',so give us your opinion on what the ' right people ' are ?

I am intrigued'"

Quote: Starbug "Ste , I have a big problem with what you have just posted

From your sig and your posts a few years back , Arthur was the ' right people ',so give us your opinion on what the ' right people ' are ?

I am intrigued'"

Its amazing how things get taken out of context from a simple post. Let me
make this plain and simple Arthur Thomas was most certainly the 'right' owner.

My post around Bill Parkinson was a tongue in cheek comment against the original author of this thread who is also throwing up millionaires who might
be an option.

Back to my post and your question Steve, I trust Trevor very much to get the 'right' new owners or preferably owner.

The right owner for me Steve would be another single owner like Arthur, like Steve O'connor, Ian Lenaghan, Eamon McManus. There is a common theme with successful clubs they have a main benefactor supported by a board with
an experienced infrastructure.

I have no doubt Arthur Thomas would have taken us to Super League but for the unfortunate circumstances that have unfolded in the last 3 weeks.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7676
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28343_1268949591.gif
" Time is but a flowing stream". Pedro. Higherfold Cockey Pond. 1973. You can shout for silence, but boots worn all day will always hum.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28343.gif

I tell you what if I had won 10 million I would pledge half a mill over 10 years. Love my club but I have a big familly and ex inlaws that would get it first and two of them are very poorly. Lets not get into any scenarios about who would do more than the other or how far would you go. Saying that if I had won the 120millon the other week Leigh would own their own ground now.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Tipster Ste "

The right owner for me Steve would be another single owner like Arthur, like Steve O'connor, Ian Lenaghan, Eamon McManus. There is a common theme with successful clubs they have a main benefactor supported by a board with
an experienced infrastructure.

I have no doubt Arthur Thomas would have taken us to Super League but for the unfortunate circumstances that have unfolded in the last 3 weeks.'"

The common theme is all those clubs are SL viable clubs , we aren't , stick any of those owners at Leigh and they would struggle , much as I like Arthur , he wasn't the right sort of owner for Leigh , and no matter how long he would have had he wouldn't have got us there , Arthur was an experienced director of large well supported clubs , we are a totally different animal

We need a totally different approach to the ' get a good team and coach ' and the fans will come , they won't , even now After reading Trevors statement on the clubs website I have a little feeling that we might just be going round in circles again , I hope I am wrong

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman6601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
LIVING THE DREAM ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPER LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS! ''All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them'':Black Backgrounds/Miss%20Piggy.gif

Quote: mr. chairman "It's not easy , Richard Branson for all his wealth saw it as a big loser . It's like throwing money away as you will never get it back , ask AT . The trouble with the position Leigh find themselves in is we have golden share directors with each holding 25k in shares, what happens to them also too many cooks will cause problems within that group . It needs one main man with some smaller ones underneath him but he will want total control or he won't come, I personally think that there are a few other problems as well
But nothing that can't be overcome with some honesty'"

Totally agree Keith. It would be helpful to understand who exactly owns shares in the club etc ....

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg
:2690.jpg

I bet if anyone won the lottery it would still be a wrench to keep shelling out. You'd be looking at every aspect of the club. You'd want rid of the people you didn't like. You'd get frustrated with players and players agents; fed up of moaning fans - moaning despite you plowing millions of YOUR money into the club. Then, at the end, you have to deal with the RFL!!!

Put it in a Swiss bank and watch the ladies go by in Monte Carlo instead icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Starbug "The common theme is all those clubs are SL viable clubs , we aren't , stick any of those owners at Leigh and they would struggle , much as I like Arthur , he wasn't the right sort of owner for Leigh , and no matter how long he would have had he wouldn't have got us there , Arthur was an experienced director of large well supported clubs , we are a totally different animal

We need a totally different approach to the ' get a good team and coach ' and the fans will come , they won't , even now After reading Trevors statement on the clubs website I have a little feeling that we might just be going round in circles again , I hope I am wrong'"

We are a million miles apart on this one. Widnes for example were in a worse state than us before Steve O'Connor arrived.

Whilst I admit the ludicrous franchise nonsense makes it totally unappealing for a new owner to be enticed in. I have no doubt with a single owner and a ticket to SL there is no reason why Leigh can't emulate Warrington.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Tipster Ste "We are a million miles apart on this one. Widnes for example were in a worse state than us before Steve O'Connor arrived.

Whilst I admit the ludicrous franchise nonsense makes it totally unappealing for a new owner to be enticed in. I have no doubt with a single owner and a ticket to SL there is no reason why Leigh can't emulate Warrington.'"

What just simply amazes me , is the way everybody just assumes that the purpose of any new owner is to basically tip their money down the drain , just as Arthur did , for every penny he put into the club at this level , it would have cost him double or treble in SL

We need somebody with the will , desire and vision to turn our club into a sustainable club without any of their money , not somebody who is happy to just throw it away , otherwise we will all be here again in a few years

SCL , is a business , whoever gets to own it needs to treat it like a business , not like a charity

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Starbug "What just simply amazes me , is the way everybody just assumes that the purpose of any new owner is to basically tip their money down the drain , just as Arthur did , for every penny he put into the club at this level , it would have cost him double or treble in SL

We need somebody with the will , desire and vision to turn our club into a sustainable club without any of their money , not somebody who is happy to just throw it away , otherwise we will all be here again in a few years

SCL , is a business , whoever gets to own it needs to treat it like a business , not like a charity'"

Trouble is Steve there hasn't been one single top flight team who make a profit as a business in my lifetime. For the owners I mentioned previously add in John Wilkinson, Ken Davy, Simon Moran and countless others who all would be on their ar5e if each benefactor pulled out.

We won't and never will be a successful SL club never mind Championship club by running a RL club as a business.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg

If someone has the good nature to do it, the money should be put into a portfolio of investments on behalf of Leigh (or any given club) in order to generate revenue which is not dependant on what happens within the club. I know in the late eighties Leeds RLFC owned a shed load of properties in and around Headingley.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: littlerich "If someone has the good nature to do it, the money should be put into a portfolio of investments on behalf of Leigh (or any given club) in order to generate revenue which is not dependant on what happens within the club. I know in the late eighties Leeds RLFC owned a shed load of properties in and around Headingley.'"

It's a good call. However the above investments didn't help Leeds who have lost money ever since Adam and Eve were trying for a kid.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg

Quote: littlerich "If someone has the good nature to do it, the money should be put into a portfolio of investments on behalf of Leigh (or any given club) in order to generate revenue which is not dependant on what happens within the club. I know in the late eighties Leeds RLFC owned a shed load of properties in and around Headingley.'"

I suggested something similar when on the board a few years back , to put together something similar to our current ' Corporate club ' who would set up a property business to provide ' income ' rather than ' donation ' , that is the reason I asked Dave Parky the lottery question

If I won the Euro lottery , I wouldn't give the club one penny of my winnings , I would however put a sum of money in a bank account and the club would get the interest , but only be allowed to spend half of it , the rest would also have to be invested or spent on building the club as a business , not a charity

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg

Quote: Tipster Ste "It's a good call. However the above investments didn't help Leeds who have lost money ever since Adam and Eve were trying for a kid.'"

Are you sure? I know certainly in the late eighties they were profitable - or rather the company that "owned" them were. Do they still own the Headingley complex?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: littlerich "Are you sure? I know certainly in the late eighties they were profitable - or rather the company that "owned" them were. Do they still own the Headingley complex?'"

Not sure on who currently owns Headingley but Leeds Rugby lose money every year propped up by Mr Caddick I think it is

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Starbug "I suggested something similar when on the board a few years back , to put together something similar to our current ' Corporate club ' who would set up a property business to provide ' income ' rather than ' donation ' , that is the reason I asked Dave Parky the lottery question

If I won the Euro lottery , I wouldn't give the club one penny of my winnings , I would however put a sum of money in a bank account and the club would get the interest , but only be allowed to spend half of it , the rest would also have to be invested or spent on building the club as a business , not a charity'"

How do we know AT hasn't been spending his interest over the last 5 years??

116 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
116 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.40771484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
Broadacres
8m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
10m