FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leigh Leopards > Murph speaks out against Franchising...
25 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9547
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
975_1347830146.gif
My posts do not reflect the opinion of rlfans.com, my employer, the Prime Minister, Lassie, NRL fans or the privately educated. The opinions posted here are solely intended to influence the intellectually destitute. Money back guarantee applies.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_975.gif

Sport is not business.

It has to be run with some business rules, but it is sport and not business.

If sport were business, then most clubs simply would not exist, as they do not turn a profit and there is little possibility of ever turning a profit.

There are not as many money sinks in the business world as there are in the sporting world - simply because it is sport and is about competition, not profit.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Jul 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Over 50 years of pain,pleasure,frustration,joy,heartache and ecstasy that supporting Leigh has given me but I would not swop it.:

Quote: Saintsnut "He always did talk out of his booty, Sport is a business, if clubs go bust its just tough other clubs will come along.'"

If it is a business,I think your clubs financial reports would make interesting reading over the years,our current Chairman baled you out years ago.

Extremely successful on the field but not spent a penny off it,I envy all your trophies but that does not mean you have the right to belittle other clubs who frankly are ran as bad or well as Saints but do not have the Sky money to support them each year.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6206
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10303_1313522771.jpg
Bolton by birth, Irish by blood, LEYTHER by heart and soul!! [quote="BBC Sport":suio7kr3]30/04/06 "Some of W*gan's travelling fans headed towards the exit before it was even over.".................no change there then!![/quote:suio7kr3] [quote="Wembley71":suio7kr3].....They are our people. Drummond, Costello, Manfredi, Svabic, Martyn, Street, Tickle, Patel, Mossop, Horo, Bristow, Leuleui, Varley, Fleary, Rivett, Tabern, Doran, Woods, Donlan, Wilshire, Leaefa, Hansen, Sale, Murphy… these are all my people. As a Leyther, you’re one of us the moment you come here to wear the shirt. I don't care where you were born, what colour you are, what religion you are, what language you speak. You're one of us, part of our culture, writing our history as you create your own, and making us stronger for it....[/quote:suio7kr3]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10303.jpg

Absolutely uncanny read!!

AJM displays Nostrodamus like foresight!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1467
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13940.gif
:13940.gif

The only reason for what has happened in our game over the last 20 years is the RFL's obsession that we have to beat the Aussies. We copied everything they do thinking in time it would make us better than them. 20 years on and we are still behind them. I'd say the exercise has failed. Murphy was spot on with everything he said. How many clubs have gone bust, or reformed under new names. Even we did it. The game can't go on like this and the short sighted saints fan who posted on here may get a shock one day very soon. Try going over St Helens accounts and you'll see not everything's rosy even at the most succesful club in the SL era.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Don't see the "nostradamus" connection tbh. Murphy was a great player/coach in his time. Don't mean what he says here is true. Nothing much in it that is relevant to now and should stay in mid 90's where the game was on its knees. One of things I agreed with (which again is mid 90's related not now) was the crazy transfer fees at the time - we went down that road too.
He is against salary cap - proven to be wrong. He mentions nothing of ideas of how to stop the decline apart from stay as we where, where a massive clubs like Leeds & W1gan was struggling to survive for example.
This is the very 1st season of franchises for goodness sake- give it time. It took 100 years to spread the game to mainly the areas they started from in 1895, by having very little interest in spreading the game especially at club level where self interest was more important (including us).
As for clubs merging - As Barry Mac said in his book, everyone was totally against it and campaigned against it because of herritage and history etc etc.....but where was those fans since ?
So sorry if most of you agree with views from '94, but IMO they are stick in the mud views if you still agree with them. Not relevant to now.
As for RL being a sport - hmmmm. Its not anymore, just like football isn't. Its the ones with the most money - of course some exceptions that mis-spend and mis-manage their club. W1gan bought their way out of relegation trouble - was that sporting ?
But the romantic notions and having the dream of seeing small clubs like our own in the SL GF would never happen, even without the "F" word. Now 20 years ago - in Murphs era then it was possible.....

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I note that one of our SL colleagues has seen fit to pass comment on here. For some home truths about how RL is run as a business, read the 'Quote/Unquote' feature in the programme for the Sheffield game! I have extracted some quotes about how RL is doing 'as a business' from an interview with a SL club chairman. He doesn't think everything in the garden is rosy - for any of them!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator3533
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42910_1337432023.jpg
[i:5a56um9q]Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.[/i:5a56um9q] [b:5a56um9q]George Orwell [/b:5a56um9q] [i:5a56um9q]There are none so blind as those who will not see. [/i:5a56um9q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42910.jpg

I've only just caught up with this thread but what a great find. By his own admission Murph will admit to not being the cleverest man in the world, but he does know about rugby league. He knew it then and he knows it now. If only our club would take a bit of notice of what he has to say - they might learn something, however they think of him as some kind of dinosaur and that what he knows only relates to the past. They're so wrong and if only they'd take the time to listen to him they'd realise this.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: mishmash "I've only just caught up with this thread but what a great find. By his own admission Murph will admit to not being the cleverest man in the world, but he does know about rugby league. He knew it then and he knows it now. If only our club would take a bit of notice of what he has to say - they might learn something, however they think of him as some kind of dinosaur and that what he knows only relates to the past. They're so wrong and if only they'd take the time to listen to him they'd realise this.'"

As he often says, 'There's only so many ways to score a try, or kick a goal - so why try to complicate things?' If only we had a few players who knew what those 'ways' were, to score a try!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1353No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult”:

Great when you get baled out by super league and there contracts eh saints?....anyway fook um they will have to come cap in hand soon...18 MONTHS LEFT TO DRAW ON THE BACK OF A BEER MAT YOUR FRANCHISE BUULLLSHIT

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1072No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Scooter Nik "I assume then that we can live without paying players, charging at the turnstyle, taking money from Sky etc etc?

Nope, thought not.'"

If you want to talk about whether professional sport or semi-pro sport is a business or not is another matter.

25 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
25 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.08984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Tigers v Leopards
doc999
1m
Shopping list for 2025
WIZEB
2m