JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PlayTheBall "In recent weeks Josh Woods, Martyn Ridyard and Greg McNally have become a crucial combination playing in their rightful and most effective positions.

Much as I greatly admire John Duffy's coaching talent, I guess he would now see Gregg on the wing and Martyn at full back as a failed experiment and a waste of their natural talents. The failure of these positional changes was never more badly exposed than in our away game in Toulouse.

Josh Woods week-on-week advancement both in terms of his confidence and skills application has been a revelation under John Duffy and the Leigh coaching staff (including Tommy Martyn). At the end of the season Wigan will have the choice of calling Josh back or leaving him with us to continue his development under the expert guidance that he has undoubtedly been receiving at Leigh. One thing is for certain, Wigan will make Josh honour the three year contract that he signed last summer and will be seeking to give him every chance to make it at SL level.

Ryan Brierley is a potential game changing influence every time he takes the field at Championship level. I guess his physicality is in question at Super League level and this decision has perhaps already been made by Toronto (Brian McDermott).

Is Ryan an asset as a Leigh player this season and next ? Of course he is.
He again ably demonstrated his pace and support play in his recent loan spell with us. He would be a massive asset at this level. The difficulty is of course how to accommodate him in our current set up. But if any of the three players mentioned above suffered an injury, his signing would have been an absolute no brainier and if I was a betting man Wigan will want Josh back next season. Charlie can no doubt advise us from a betting perspective.

I would love to see Ryan back at Leigh - the atmosphere lifts all around the ground whenever he takes an offload at pace. Ryan Brierley would put many extra bums on seats.

Let John Duffy worry how to inject Ryan's talent into our current set up. Assuming there are no injury disruptions I personally feel we could play Ryan on the wing and give him free rein to interchange with the centres when drifting into attacking positions. I reckon he would be a nightmare for defenders to mark in this role.'"

Well said 'PTB'. Good post. eusa_clap.gif I agree with all you say there. (and VL!)

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7175.jpg
get leigh outta wigan:7175.jpg

Quote: atomic "If the lad hasn’t been paid (montys version) TWP would be in breach of contract. Given their latest negative media releases, more negativity wouldn’t be advisable.

I have no doubt Ryan wants out. Very obvious TWP don’t want him leaving to Leigh.'"

I have no idea if RL players have similar terms in their contracts as footballers, and although most of us would consider it as a breach a footballer can’t until 3 payments are missed.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2383
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

If we are to join Toronto in a one off promotion play off final this season, then our only hope is McNally at 1, Ridyard at 6 and Woods at 7 bringing their A games to it. As PTB says, Tommy Martyn has been spending a lot of time with our halves and Woods in particular. The improvement is there to see week on week and getting better.

One last point on Brierley from me, If he was as good as everyone says he would be killing it now. Truth is the only question he ever posed for Rick Stone and Brian McDermott was how to get shut of him and quick. The same with Terry Matterson at Castleford. He was only ever rated by one coach in the game, Paul Rowley and he woke up and lost faith with him at the end.

Harsh but true. Far better halves will become available to us. It is quality we need to add not necessarily anyone who is just availble.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15768_1384187582.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15768.jpg

Quote: Harold Rigby Jnr "If we are to join Toronto in a one off promotion play off final this season, then our only hope is McNally at 1, Ridyard at 6 and Woods at 7 bringing their A games to it. As PTB says, Tommy Martyn has been spending a lot of time with our halves and Woods in particular. The improvement is there to see week on week and getting better.

One last point on Brierley from me, If he was as good as everyone says he would be killing it now. Truth is the only question he ever posed for Rick Stone and Brian McDermott was how to get shut of him and quick. The same with Terry Matterson at Castleford. He was only ever rated by one coach in the game, Paul Rowley and he woke up and lost faith with him at the end.

Harsh but true. Far better halves will become available to us. It is quality we need to add not necessarily anyone who is just availble.'"

Harold, I have already said I respect and understand your opinion,to which you are entitled, but that is what it is YOUR opinion .

In your own words saying Ryan has never killed it in SL ,you then list about 15 others who you rate higher than Ryan,pray tell how many of these said players have killed it in SL?These better halves who will become available to us,I will await this happening.

I realise when Ryan left the LSV it wasn’t on good terms , but I Bear no grudges,others have left and returned recently, so did the Prodigal Son.I suppose it is expected that the Wolfpack will be in SL next season, but do you honestly think they will still have Joe Mellor or Josh McCrone on their playing roster.?I don’t.

However we all have our opinions. icon_thumb.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain6902
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: glow "I have no idea if RL players have similar terms in their contracts as footballers, and although most of us would consider it as a breach a footballer can’t until 3 payments are missed.'"

Glow you are probably correct. But I doubt very much the loan spell would have gone ahead should there have been queries over the lad not getting paid.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain6902
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: charlie caroli "Harold, I have already said I respect and understand your opinion,to which you are entitled, but that is what it is YOUR opinion .

In your own words saying Ryan has never killed it in SL ,you then list about 15 others who you rate higher than Ryan,pray tell how many of these said players have killed it in SL?These better halves who will become available to us,I will await this happening.

I realise when Ryan left the LSV it wasn’t on good terms , but I Bear no grudges,others have left and returned recently, so did the Prodigal Son.I suppose it is expected that the Wolfpack will be in SL next season, but do you honestly think they will still have Joe Mellor or Josh McCrone on their playing roster.?I don’t.

However we all have our opinions.
That mon is stealing a living.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: charlie caroli "Harold, I have already said I respect and understand your opinion,to which you are entitled, but that is what it is YOUR opinion .

However we all have our opinions.
I'm with you Ian, whilst fully respecting (always) Harold's view. I desperately hope not, but we only need an untimely injury to Martyn, (he has 'history' of putting his body on the line) or Josh, and then we are down to one half back. We are exposed in that area, as well as having to play forwards in the threequarters. (not complaining about how any of them have performed there, by the way) A couple of extra points from me:-

1) I understand about Ryan not having broken many pots in SL, but he never really got the chance, did he?
2) He didn't leave LSV on 'good terms', but there were two sides to that story - and we only ever got fed one of them! Anyway, all seems to have been forgiven and forgotten, on that issue, and quite right too.

If we can get him, I say we should. It won't hurt to have three good half backs - provided that we don't try to juggle the team around to play them all at once. Whatever qualities Ryan has, or doesn't have, he has a phenomenal strike rate, and it's always handy to have someone who knows where the tryline is!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain6902
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg

Quote: Alan "I'm with you Ian, whilst fully respecting (always) Harold's view. I desperately hope not, but we only need an untimely injury to Martyn, (he has 'history' of putting his body on the line) or Josh, and then we are down to one half back. We are exposed in that area, as well as having to play forwards in the threequarters. (not complaining about how any of them have performed there, by the way) A couple of extra points from me

So if Ryan does return that will probably be Riddy being dropped. Are you ok with that Alan?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain6902
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg

Quote: Alan "Link
I need to change my weekly read.. icon_thumb.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: atomic "So if Ryan does return that will probably be Riddy being dropped. Are you ok with that Alan?'"

No, I wouldn't dream of 'dropping' either Martyn or Josh. What I am saying is that it would be handy to have cover at half back, should either of our current two not be able to play. Or our full back, come to that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star21402
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

Quote: Alan "No, I wouldn't dream of 'dropping' either Martyn or Josh. What I am saying is that it would be handy to have cover at half back, should either of our current two not be able to play. Or our full back, come to that.'"

Spot on Al.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7001No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Onwards and upwards - LTID:

Quote: Alan "No, I wouldn't dream of 'dropping' either Martyn or Josh. What I am saying is that it would be handy to have cover at half back, should either of our current two not be able to play. Or our full back, come to that.'"

So we pay someone a fortune (he won’t come for buttons) and sit him in the stands

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain73No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ColD "So we pay someone a fortune (he won’t come for buttons) and sit him in the stands'"

Should be picked on form but both riddy and Josh are playing decent but both of them never take on the defence and both of them very rarely score,for me brierley offers a bit more of a threat and has a far superior strike rate but it's up to duffs and he's doing a great job with the players and he has coached Ryan with Scotland so he'll know the strengths and weaknesses of all 3 and what's the best selection for the lads at his disposal

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach840
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18539.jpg
:18539.jpg

Quote: kaykie6 "Should be picked on form but both riddy and Josh are playing decent but both of them never take on the defence and both of them very rarely score,for me brierley offers a bit more of a threat and has a far superior strike rate but it's up to duffs and he's doing a great job with the players and he has coached Ryan with Scotland so he'll know the strengths and weaknesses of all 3 and what's the best selection for the lads at his disposal'"

Arguably if Marsh, Thornley, McNally, Forsyth & Cox are scoring the bulk of our tries then the halfbacks are doing their job.

Don't know what the infatuation with try scoring halfbacks is, they are pivots not finishers, leave the finishing to the outside backs and let the 2 halves play in dinner suits picking off territory with kicks and good pass selection.

We now have 2 of the most effective centre's in the game.

RankPostsTeam
International Star21402
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

I can just see it now :- Martyn Ridyard groin , or Josh Woods Head injury, could miss Leigh Centurions important fixture at Sheffield this coming Sunday. icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

195 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
195 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0458984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
WHO IS NEXT
Once were Lo
25m
This site is crap
ALAW
25m