FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > 2 Reasons we lost that game.
127 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star229No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: rubber duckie "Nowt wrong with a bit of biff.
Perhaps we should adopt something from ice hockey.
They get 20 seconds to dish it out.
Lol, make them ware big foam hands too!
Then they get split up and each spend 10 mins for cooling off! No disciplinary.
Now I await the backlash from the purists!'"

The problem is how do you define "a bit of Biff'. RL is highly charged collision sport in which emotions are bound to run high and tempers flare resulting in fisticuffs and brawls. This excites the visceral trait in us all but there some who enjoy inflicting pain and injury who intentionally set out to maim and disable and there are all sorts of situations in between. This situation is the psycho's heaven and leads to different penalties for what seems the same offence leading to accusations of bias by the authorities.
Brawls and big hits are part of the game but things like three men tackles where the third man comes in hard and late to hit a vulnerable part of the body and other similar tactics, all of which seem to be a part of McIlorum's repertoire, should be heavily punished.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1051No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71405_1380616415.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71405.jpeg

Quote: Phuzzy "Have a word with yourself! I think you need to look at both incidents again. I can't seriously believe you think either incident was even noteworthy except in a ''this is a player we hate so lets pretend they were way worse than they actually were'' kind of way. Someone mentioned the Westwood shot on Blake Green earlier. That was far more an attempt to injure a fellow professional. Similarly Woody didn't throw several shots at a man not defending himself in order to 'not injure him'. If you want to aim vitriol in this way at least be prepared to aim it at your own players indiscretions too. That way we might actually give some credence to your points. McIlorum is certainly no saint (pun intended! lol) and on occasion has been worthy of the criticism he received. These incidents, though, were no more or less than happen in virtually every game. In fact a far worse one than the late challenge happened the following night in the Saints?Hudds match. The tackle on Waterhouse didn't even warrant a penalty! Get a grip man!'"

Wood should of been sent off but the ref bottled it, I am not mentioning the Westwood one because it has no bearing on Thursdays antics from the thug! A bit of biff from Wood and Pettybourne is hardly the same as trying to damage someones knees and charging at a player who was not ready for it!

RankPostsTeam
International Star229No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "Haha. The hypocrisy in that last sentence after what preceded it is comedy gold! On a serious note, it does illustrate perfectly how fans revel in their own enforcers but hate it when opposition teams have them. Would you seriously like to take the Morleys, Westwoods, Boyds etc. out of the game? I certainly wouldn't...'"

Where have I advocated taking them out of the game? RL is a hard mans game and we pay to watch hard men go toe to toe with each other and understand that, from time to time, they will go beyond the pail. That is why I was saying, at the present moment, we need a Morley or a Boyd to put some steel in the pack. I do not advocate though the type of physical play that is deliberately designed to injure or disable.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4241
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8083.jpg
[b:1in27wd6][color=#4040FF:1in27wd6][size=100:1in27wd6]top flight since 1895[/size:1in27wd6][/color:1in27wd6][/b:1in27wd6]:8083.jpg

Quote: Irishwire "Wood should of been sent off but the ref bottled it, I am not mentioning the Westwood one because it has no bearing on Thursdays antics from the thug! A bit of biff from Wood and Pettybourne is hardly the same as trying to damage someones knees and charging at a player who was not ready for it!'"

spot on..Woody should have gone...but it wasn't a cowardly attack whilst the player was involved in a tackle. Mick Mac is the worst kind of cheap shot merchant...somebodies career will be finished one of these days by the cannon ball tactic. It needs to be addressed.

RankPostsTeam
International Star342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019Jun 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: pondmonster "I assume by "certain clubs" you're referring to Warrington.

Ben Westwood's punch in first couple of minutes of GF, or Paul Wood's throwing punches at Pettyborne. You're right, if the refs / RFL didn't bottle the first bad incidents in these type of games, perhaps frustrations wouldn't boil over in other players on the pitch.

Our stand off plays the GF with one eye shut, but Wigan only won because of their “poophouse tactics”. You couldn’t make it up. Oh hang, you all just did.

Were Westwood/ Wood instructed to give a bit of biff out by Saint Tony Smith? No of course they weren’t, neither are we, but as some suggest, if you want to mix it with us – Wood started it all, then it’s fair game if you ask me.

I don’t agree with McIllorum’s dirty play, yes he is dirty and I can admit that, but the Wood incident turned what was a great game into a bit of niggle and then the red mist descended on to McIllorum who then became a law unto himself.'"

is it me or isn't there anything going on in the Wigan board as seems a hell of a lot of visitors on here recently. Correct me if I am wrong but in reference to your suggestion that the wood punching incident is what lead to mcillorum swing the red mist. My view is that the poop house tackles on Waterhouse and cheap shot on Higham was before the wood incident.
Also I firmly believe that wane does send out his team with the instructions to play dirty.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

Quote: wiretillidie30 "
Also I firmly believe that wane does send out four team with the instructions to play dirty.'"

Really???..... I think that's absolute nonsense - Put yourself in Wane's (or any coaches) shoes when faced with a Wire side that has a lead over you and are looking pretty rampant, what do you do?

Quite simply, you do what Wigan did on Thursday night and in the Grand Final. You get in their faces. You bully them. You put some shots in on them.... Then you watch them implode because they have little backbone and no Plan B.

I hate to say it, but at present Wire are a flat track bully - They look fantastic when Plan A comes off and the opposition have no response (a la Saints the other week), but when a side disrupts their initial plans they look weak-willed and ineffective.

Whilst Wane's tactics may not be for the purist, the recent matches between Wire and Wigan shows they work - I would bet you any money that Denis Betts has Widnes primed for a similar assault on Wire this weekend.... He will know full well that for Widnes to stand any chance he has to get stuck in - It certainly won't be pretty if Widnes are to triumph.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

I'll be honest the late hit on Laithwaite is a penalty and that's it, nothing to get angry about.
The incident with Higham when he slammed him on the floor again a penalty and that's it.
But sorry I disagree with Phuzzy on the third man in on Waterhouse, it's banned in the NRL and it's a cheap shot, it should be banned here too, it is a very dangerous tackle and rightly been recognised so down under.
Ratchford had his ankles broke in the GF by this very same tackle.
Ban it for 2015 and never return.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: wireone "Where have I advocated taking them out of the game? RL is a hard mans game and we pay to watch hard men go toe to toe with each other and understand that, from time to time, they will go beyond the pail. That is why I was saying, at the present moment, we need a Morley or a Boyd to put some steel in the pack. I do not advocate though the type of physical play that is deliberately designed to injure or disable.'"

Because you're picking and choosing who you believe is 'taking them out of the game' based on your own club loyalties. None of the incidents referred to are even noteworthy, let alone designed to take someone out of the game! The Laithwaite injury was unfortunate but you can't espouse that someone was deliberately taken out of the game every time a player gets injured! I know it suits you preconceived idea that this is how Wigan play the game but, in truth, they play it tough and hard and it's up to your guys to match this. That's the nature of our sport! Let me ask you a question; did Ben Westwood deliberately attempt to take Blake Green out of the GF and, if so, would you care to point out where you posted your disgust at his thuggish behaviour? Or are you prepared to argue that throwing a punch hard enough to fracture a cheekbone on a grounded and held player is 'part of the game' because it's one of your own? Given that it was FAR worse than any of McIlorum's incidents the other day are you happy to state that Tony Smith sends his players out to deliberately injure players as you seem happy to suggest the Wigan coach is? In truth, neither coach would do such a thing and to suggest otherwise is a complete nonsense. Playing tough is a completely different matter. As you say, Boyd did it as well as anyone. However, don't try to make out that because another player called him dirty he ''must be doing something right'' and then not afford the same assessment to others just because they don't play for you. That is the hypocrisy I mentioned in my post.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Wire Yed "I'll be honest the late hit on Laithwaite is a penalty and that's it, nothing to get angry about.
The incident with Higham when he slammed him on the floor again a penalty and that's it.
But sorry I disagree with Phuzzy on the third man in on Waterhouse, it's banned in the NRL and it's a cheap shot, it should be banned here too, it is a very dangerous tackle and rightly been recognised so down under.
Ratchford had his ankles broke in the GF by this very same tackle.
Ban it for 2015 and never return.'"

I posted on this over on our board Yed. If you believe it should be outlawed based on the occasional injury then you have to similarly agree that ANY play that results in injury should equally be banned. Third man in (front or side on) to a standing leg is already banned as this is the one that results in injury. Tackles to the backs of legs is no more likely to result in injury than anything else in the sport. However, if the RFL decide to follow suit and ban it then I will have no problem with an outcry should anyone get injured from it. However, as far as the rules go, it's still legal, and quite rightly so in my opinion. Tackles around the legs have always had a place in our game as long as they aren't dangerous. As for Thursday's game, the third man in tackle was in evidence all evening from both sides. The MM one was no different than any of the others on the night and was to the back of the legs so I can't see why you're singling this one out as opposed to any other. As far as I'm aware no tackle from either team, including this one, has been subject to a disciplinary. Could you explain why you think the one on Waterhouse was any different to the others as I'm a little baffled?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Irishwire "Wood should of been sent off but the ref bottled it, I am not mentioning the Westwood one because it has no bearing on Thursdays antics from the thug! A bit of biff from Wood and Pettybourne is hardly the same as trying to damage someones knees and charging at a player who was not ready for it!'"

Mate, it has EVERY bearing on what you are saying! You chose not to address it because you simply cannot justify your comments re: McIlorum in Light of it. That's fine, but at least admit it! Either both are thugs or none are. Take your pick...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

If I run the ball in, and get hit I have some control to how I prep my body for both impact and how I land, the 3rd man in I have zero control, I'm locked into a position and just have to accept how my body reacts.
Yes there will be times nothing happens but players shouldn't have to be in a position in which they have zero control on anything.
A spear tackle is the same and that is banned.

I understand a normal tackle can injure but calculated risk againt unnecessary risk are different.
McIllorum has form but by no means is it unique to him, all teams do it, and why wouldn't they as it isn't illegal.
I don't get angry about it as it's in the rules but like I say I wince and just think it is unnecessary and should be taken out, after all the player is 99 times out of a hundred tackled anyway and this is a tactic to just slow down the ruck.

RankPostsTeam
International Star285
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "Mate, it has EVERY bearing on what you are saying! You chose not to address it because you simply cannot justify your comments re

Think most of us will agree that Bennie was lucky to get away with that one...but I find it amazing how may occasions there have been this year where Wigan fans have continually used this single incident to justify there own team's numerous instances of thuggery.

RankPostsTeam
International Star484
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif

I've read shorter novels than Phuzzy's posts.

RankPostsTeam
International Star229No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "Because you're picking and choosing who you believe is 'taking them out of the game' based on your own club loyalties. None of the incidents referred to are even noteworthy, let alone designed to take someone out of the game! The Laithwaite injury was unfortunate but you can't espouse that someone was deliberately taken out of the game every time a player gets injured! I know it suits you preconceived idea that this is how Wigan play the game but, in truth, they play it tough and hard and it's up to your guys to match this. That's the nature of our sport! Let me ask you a question; did Ben Westwood deliberately attempt to take Blake Green out of the GF and, if so, would you care to point out where you posted your disgust at his thuggish behaviour? Or are you prepared to argue that throwing a punch hard enough to fracture a cheekbone on a grounded and held player is 'part of the game' because it's one of your own? Given that it was FAR worse than any of McIlorum's incidents the other day are you happy to state that Tony Smith sends his players out to deliberately injure players as you seem happy to suggest the Wigan coach is? In truth, neither coach would do such a thing and to suggest otherwise is a complete nonsense. Playing tough is a completely different matter. As you say, Boyd did it as well as anyone. However, don't try to make out that because another player called him dirty he ''must be doing something right'' and then not afford the same assessment to others just because they don't play for you. That is the hypocrisy I mentioned in my post.'"

A classic case of the pot calling the kettle brunt if you ask me. We will just have to agree to differ. My previous post was meant to infer that Goodway was being a bit hypocritcal in criticising Les Boyd, as Goodway once flattened Cullen with a late shot to the head from behind and then stood on his hand as he walked past him.
In any case my comments were aimed at Warrington fans not people who have nothing better to do but surf other club's boards offering unwanted pearls of wisdom.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8011No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49863_1309431041.jpg
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49863.jpg

The sad thing is, it's going to take a VERY serious injury as a result of the aforementioned "cannonball tackle", before the shimdits at the RFL take action, and ban this cowardly act out of the game.

If these idiots continue to bury their heads in the sand, and ignore this practice, the only way round it is for refs to shout "held" earlier, and penalise as appropriate. Not an ideal scenario, as we all want the game to flow. Either way, somethings got to change.

Is it any wonder we're still light years behind the Aussies, when our PTBs take an age to complete, due to constant laying on or "stand up" tackles, which enables the cannonball man to come in and wreak havoc/thuggery.

It needs sorting

127 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
127 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.1982421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
0m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
4m
Todays match v Saints
Wires71
29m
Hull KR H
LewCharnock
32m
Recruitment rumours and links
Boss Hog
35m
Squads - Tigers v Leopards
doc999
36m
Shopping list for 2025
WIZEB
40m
Rumours thread
vastman
44m
RD 25 Hull FC H
christopher
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
7pm
PopTart
39s
Hudds
Deadcowboys1
39s
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
51s
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
53s
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
RD 25 Hull FC H
christopher
1m
2024 Disciplinary
ploinerrhino
1m
IMG scores
PopTart
1m
Rumours thread
vastman
2m
Shopping list for 2025
WIZEB
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
7pm
PopTart
TODAY
Who do we want in the play-offs
karetaker
TODAY
Tomkins last chance
Big Steve
TODAY
Ken Rollin
PopTart
TODAY
Max
PopTart
TODAY
Play-offs
Deeeekos
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
newcat
TODAY
George Williams
just_browny
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Old Man John
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
AdamH
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
Wires71
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,501 80,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 1 40 4 36 2
Wigan 1 32 4 28 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20