FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Question for the Saints fans that infest this board
54 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32395_1324520597.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32395.png

To be honest, that chant is just as embarrassing as some of our fans debating a massive 'decline' because they'd been beat in Grand Finals. I know there's no prize for second, but Saints are still a fantastic side and a fantastic club.

I imagine they're singing the song because, over the past ten years or so, we've always improved our side over the winter, then got our hopes up for the season, then haven't won the Grand Final. Sadly, the GF seems to be deemed the biggest achievement when it clearly isn't; there is no bigger challenge than winning something over the course of twenty seven games in rugby league.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

when did u say you were in the grand final, or have i missed something. icon_beat.gif icon_beat.gif icon_beat.gif icon_beat.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1688No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: knickers "when did u say you were in the grand final, or have i missed something.
you should learn to read

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3063No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33980_1323116328.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33980.jpg

Quote: knickers "when did u say you were in the grand final, or have i missed something.
Eh?

RankPostsTeam
International Star3869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51898_1347989911.png
"Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!" Matthew 4:19 Things I learned on 11/08/12 Gareth Hock can't pass Gareth Hock can't run Gareth Hock can't fight [url=http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby/view/256856/Gareth-Hock-relives-drugs-ban-hell/:22njixh9]I'm assured he can snort a line of coke the size of a Mecca dauber though.[/url:22njixh9]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51898.png

Quote: Roddy B "To be honest, that chant is just as embarrassing as some of our fans debating a massive 'decline' because they'd been beat in Grand Finals. I know there's no prize for second, but Saints are still a fantastic side and a fantastic club.

I imagine they're singing the song because, over the past ten years or so, we've always improved our side over the winter, then got our hopes up for the season, then haven't won the Grand Final. Sadly, the GF seems to be deemed the biggest achievement when it clearly isn't; there is no bigger challenge than winning something over the course of twenty seven games in rugby league.'"

Very amusing, indeed. I welcome all opinions, as long as there is a crumb of a fact to support it. If you don't think saints have declined since 2006, you need your head felt, IMO (if it was a not-so-subtle dig at me, I would like to inform you that my reasoning was that Saints haven't won anything since 2008- compounded by there steady decline in trophies since 2006. And was not a reference to their GF failings- there could be an excuse made for CC fatigue or a hard fought LLS but Saints don't have that and didn't need it in 2006)

But, more to the point, if they are crowing about merely reaching a grand final, what does that say for the aims of St Helens rugby? Are they happy to go every year without winning atrophy as long as their fans get a day out at Old Trafford but cry on the way home? Thnat is very strange.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46617_1306868465.jpg
[color=#0000FF:18cipqkn] FFS[/color:18cipqkn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46617.jpg

The thing I couldn't understand about that song was that they started singing it when they went 18-0 up and it was apparent we were going to lose. This would imply they felt that by losing to them this signalled the end of our season. ‘It’s always your year, It’s always your year, just like the last one, It’s always your year’ the words would imply that they think this is not going to be our year because we were going to get beaten by them. It can’t refer to our poor record against them as, ‘just like the last one’ wouldn’t make any sense as we beat them twice last year.

I actually think it would be a good song to sing if we were to get beaten by them in a playoff game. But I don’t understand them singing it during a league match in March. Last night’s game will have no bearing on whether this year will be our year or not, and for that reason it makes no sense at all. It actually makes them sound a bit stupid.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51898_1347989911.png
"Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!" Matthew 4:19 Things I learned on 11/08/12 Gareth Hock can't pass Gareth Hock can't run Gareth Hock can't fight [url=http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby/view/256856/Gareth-Hock-relives-drugs-ban-hell/:22njixh9]I'm assured he can snort a line of coke the size of a Mecca dauber though.[/url:22njixh9]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51898.png

Quote: 1905 "The thing I couldn't understand about that song was that they started singing it when they went 18-0 up and it was apparent we were going to lose. This would imply they felt that by losing to them this signalled the end of our season. ‘It’s always your year, It’s always your year, just like the last one, It’s always your year’ the words would imply that they think this is not going to be our year because we were going to get beaten by them. It can’t refer to our poor record against them as, ‘just like the last one’ wouldn’t make any sense as we beat them twice last year.

I actually think it would be a good song to sing if we were to get beaten by them in a playoff game. But I don’t understand them singing it during a league match in March. Last night’s game will have no bearing on whether this year will be our year or not, and for that reason it makes no sense at all. It actually makes them sound a bit stupid.'"

That's it. I can't find a solid argument for what they could be singing about. Nothing makes any sense and makes them sound deluded, pompous and/or stupid

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2899
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42312_1283365289.jpg
Never get too cocky [quote="Beeston_Loiner":1v23w920]I'll go for Warrington are SH1T3! and Leeds are gonna make 'em look silly like we do to all the Pretenders in Finals..... 64th Minute when the Pressure starts to tell on the Useless TW@! Bring on the Final![/quote:1v23w920] Leeds 6 Wire 30:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42312.jpg

Quote: jdrocket "That's it. I can't find a solid argument for what they could be singing about. Nothing makes any sense and makes them sound deluded, pompous and/or stupid'"

Atleast they have learnt a new song. Ahead of Wigan now by 2 songs to 1

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32395_1324520597.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32395.png

Quote: jdrocket "Very amusing, indeed. I welcome all opinions, as long as there is a crumb of a fact to support it. If you don't think saints have declined since 2006, you need your head felt, IMO (if it was a not-so-subtle dig at me, I would like to inform you that my reasoning was that Saints haven't won anything since 2008- compounded by there steady decline in trophies since 2006. And was not a reference to their GF failings- there could be an excuse made for CC fatigue or a hard fought LLS but Saints don't have that and didn't need it in 2006)

But, more to the point, if they are crowing about merely reaching a grand final, what does that say for the aims of St Helens rugby? Are they happy to go every year without winning atrophy as long as their fans get a day out at Old Trafford but cry on the way home? Thnat is very strange.'"

Of course Saints have declined, but there's little wrong in viewing a GF as a success, even if it isn't won. There are only two finals to be played in, there's very little between the sides at the top, so if you're consistently reaching one of the finals - arguably the final viewed as the biggest - then you can't really complain too much. Their fans and club have to be realistic about where they are now, they don't have the British RL greats like they have had over the past ten years or so, but they're still a good side and they're still competing with the very best. I don't think a 'win' can be expected from any club when the difference between the top sides is so small, but being there and competing is always the expectation, something Saints have consistently achieved in SL, and something we could only dream of. Would I swap our LLS for their GF place? Of course not, but if I was told last season that we'd reach the GF, I'd have been fairly chuffed and would have viewed that season as a success.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51898_1347989911.png

Quote: Roddy B "Of course Saints have declined, but there's little wrong in viewing a GF as a success, even if it isn't won. There are only two finals to be played in, there's very little between the sides at the top, so if you're consistently reaching one of the finals - arguably the final viewed as the biggest - then you can't really complain too much. Their fans and club have to be realistic about where they are now, they don't have the British RL greats like they have had over the past ten years or so, but they're still a good side and they're still competing with the very best. I don't think a 'win' can be expected from any club when the difference between the top sides is so small, but being there and competing is always the expectation, something Saints have consistently achieved in SL, and something we could only dream of. Would I swap our LLS for their GF place? Of course not, but if I was told last season that we'd reach the GF, I'd have been fairly chuffed and would have viewed that season as a success.'"

That is a fair assessment and something I have been heralding since Saints' losing streak started. Saints are/were in decline but it does not mean they are a bad side. They have still had our number since their peak in 2006. Saints have historically had a knack for two things; one is beating teams in the final minutes and the other is getting to grand finals and in 96, 97, 02 and 06 (dates may be wrong and I have no doubt I've missed some. I forget when they won) there was a nice win to appearance ratio. However, since then that ratio has shot down.

Having never gotten to a GF, watching Wire I don't know how it would feel, but I'd hate to lose so many on the bounce. Although it isn't something I would proclaim, there is a notion to suggest that as of late Saints are SL's biggest bottlers.

Would I like to get to OT this year? Yes. Would I rather get there than win another LLS? Maybe. However, I think that is as far as I'd go. A day at Wembley is as good/better than OT in my eyes and a trophy of any kind is better than an appearance in the GF. However, deep down I want to experience OT, not so much that I want my heart broken 5 years on the bounce though.

RankPostsTeam
International Star58No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61582_1312990913.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61582.png

I thought you lot more than anyone would have worked out by now that the Super League is a knock out competition that starts in September. Yes, the LLS is a fantastic achievement but unforunately (for you last season) the Grand Final is the sport's major showpiece event. All the media-hype surrounding it, the title of 'Super League Champions', it is the big one. So for those who tried to argue that last year was 'your year' by winning the LLS, sorry, it wasn't. Prime examples, who were the SL Champions in 2007 and 2008? Saints won the LLS on both occassions.

The amount of hype surrounding Warrington's GF chances around March time over the past 3 or so seasons is incredible. Some by supporters, mostly by the media. But the fact that the expectation levels are so high, so early in the season, makes you open to the p-taking by opposition fans when you mess it all up when it counts.

The chant last night was bang on, and the OP knows it, which is why they have created a thread to try and derail it word by word hoping to relieve some frustration from having to stand there and take it for 80 minutes icon_wink.gif
Maybe the OP was one of those towards the Western end of the South Stand, frothing at the mouth? I don't think it was intended as bait, just a bit of banter, but boy it didn't half rile some icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2711No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42170_1280565797.jpg
Rule 1. I am always right. Rule 2. If in any case I appear wrong, refer to rule 1.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42170.jpg

Quote: jdrocket "

Having never gotten to a GF, watching Wire I don't know how it would feel, but I'd hate to lose so many on the bounce. Although it isn't something I would proclaim, there is a notion to suggest that as of late Saints are SL's biggest bottlers.

Would I like to get to OT this year? Yes. Would I rather get there than win another LLS? Maybe. However, I think that is as far as I'd go. A day at Wembley is as good/better than OT in my eyes and a trophy of any kind is better than an appearance in the GF. However, deep down I want to experience OT, not so much that I want my heart broken 5 years on the bounce though.'"

Are you sure that's your real opinion, or are you just bitter you've never made the GF. It's funny how after you win something you're opinion will change. Much like I'm sure most Wire fans will only have defended the league leaders shield after they won it, but before it i doubt many of you will have voiced much of an opinion about it. You've pretty much contradicted yourself here.

RankPostsTeam
International Star32No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/PDT8.gif
:simpsons/PDT8.gif

Quote: Back Row Singer "I thought you lot more than anyone would have worked out by now that the Super League is a knock out competition that starts in September. Yes, the LLS is a fantastic achievement but unforunately (for you last season) the Grand Final is the sport's major showpiece event. All the media-hype surrounding it, the title of 'Super League Champions', it is the big one. So for those who tried to argue that last year was 'your year' by winning the LLS, sorry, it wasn't. Prime examples, who were the SL Champions in 2007 and 2008? Saints won the LLS on both occassions.

The amount of hype surrounding Warrington's GF chances around March time over the past 3 or so seasons is incredible. Some by supporters, mostly by the media. But the fact that the expectation levels are so high, so early in the season, makes you open to the p-taking by opposition fans when you mess it all up when it counts.

The chant last night was bang on, and the OP knows it, which is why they have created a thread to try and derail it word by word hoping to relieve some frustration from having to stand there and take it for 80 minutes

People from st Helen's are so STUPID ! icon_thumb.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star3869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51898_1347989911.png

Quote: Sibbs Rhinos "Are you sure that's your real opinion, or are you just bitter you've never made the GF. It's funny how after you win something you're opinion will change. Much like I'm sure most Wire fans will only have defended the league leaders shield after they won it, but before it i doubt many of you will have voiced much of an opinion about it. You've pretty much contradicted yourself here.'"

Could be. I make it perfectly clear and lay my cards on the table.

My dirty little secret is, due to holidays and prior engagements, I haven't seen Warrington play at Wembley. I haven't been to either Wembley nor OT. But, I would rather this year wire get to Wembley again, than OT.

Maybe my view will change next year if we make OT this year. I am very aware of the status of the league (as I think many Warrington fans are) It was good to win that and I think it validated a lot of fans (myself included) but we have done that now and I think our goals should be much bigger.

Maybe there is an argument for my preference of Wembley over OT being one of bitterness towards the Super league competition as w hole. However, I don't feel that is the case, as I still want to get to OT.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman2255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Monitoring outside for the people inside:

Simple question for Saints fans:- lets compare RECENT trophies.

54 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
54 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.03076171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM