JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

We gave it a dig but the bottom line is we arnt big enough in the pack.
We arnt strong and fast enough in the quarters.

Manfredi Gelling Burgess and dare I say Tomkins ran riot on us. These guys are 6"plus vat and feckin strong and fast.

I think all but perhaps one of their trys came from sweeping movements to the flanks from within their own half.

It's got to be said but even Joel is looking old, slow and lacking in body mass put up against the Pies quarter line.

Our forwards are just not big enough....it's so clear to see that now.

RankPostsTeam
International Star281No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68597_1349643631.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68597.jpg

I wouldn't get too excited by a 10 point loss to Wigan, but there undoubtedly were some positives and seeing Dec Patton out there in a big game and not looking at all out of place was exciting. And as someone who has been on his back before I would put in a word for Big Roy, he did the simple but tough things a prop has to do with effort. Sort of warming to him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17200
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

The best about Roy is when he gets tackled he's back on his feet at speed. I say faster than any other player in our team. Interesting in contrast how good we was going forward for the 10 mins he and Hill were together and how we lost go forward when Sims came on.

I don't want to come across a Sims basher here. He has the desire and aggression but he's a welter weight up against heavy weights. He has to get off the chicken and pasta and on to the pie and chips then we might just get ourselves an Adrian Morley instead of Chris!

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

I just don't get the constant harping about Sims. He was undoubtedly the best prop you had in the defeat against Saints. He played well again last night. If there's a "welterweight" in the Warrington side (aside from Asotasi - who seems more of a hole in the air) it's currently Hill. He looks a shadow of the player who played so well going down against Leeds in the GF.

The size thing is a complete non-issue. Wigan's pack has consistently performed poorly all season. They are very much undersized and underpowered with a back row that cannot function without gaps to run into.

As for Tomkins and Gelling, they towered just as equally over Saints make-shift three-quarters and yet they weren't running around/over/through their opposite numbers on Good Friday.

Had Warrington smashed Wigan's pack at the advantage line (as they have repeatedly over the last few years) Wigan's backs would have ceased to function. Instead you repeatedly allowed them to play the ball quickly, hardly ever followed up Myler's long kicking game and turned yardage into a charitable donation.

Indeed, the only time Warrington seemed motivated to keep Wigan penned in their own half was when the game was lost!

RankPostsTeam
International Star53No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

First time we have had Silverwood for a Pie game for ages and what a difference. Game flowed, little messing around at the play the ball, if there was Penalty given. Consequently the Pie played their part in a great game. Their right edge was the difference, we were a bit unlucky in a couple of areas with charge downs and 50/50 calls going against us in the last 20 but overall they probably just deserved it. I hope Bentham and Thaler were watching and realising if you keep teams apart and penalise them if they slow the ruck down the game is a joy to watch.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif
:15968.gif

The size of our players isn't an issue...The tackle selection, execution and communication is.

We do lack speed though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1884No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Sam the Eagle.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Sam the Eagle.gif

Quote: Primrose Blue "First time we have had Silverwood for a Pie game for ages and what a difference. Game flowed, little messing around at the play the ball, if there was Penalty given. Consequently the Pie played their part in a great game. Their right edge was the difference, we were a bit unlucky in a couple of areas with charge downs and 50/50 calls going against us in the last 20 but overall they probably just deserved it. I hope Bentham and Thaler were watching and realising if you keep teams apart and penalise them if they slow the ruck down the game is a joy to watch.'"

That was something I noticed as well. It was a refreshing change from the usual tactics of slowing the game to a snails pace.. and proved also that Wigan are capable of playing rugby. If they keep that up, they may get some of their respect with opposition fans back.

I can only assume that Silverwood clearly set his stall out before the game started, as there was no flurry of penalties needed to get his point over.

Puzzlingly, even with the strict 10m and quicker play the balls Mr. Clark failed to shine once again.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5479
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: Mugwump "I just don't get the constant harping about Sims. He was undoubtedly the best prop you had in the defeat against Saints. He played well again last night. If there's a "welterweight" in the Warrington side (aside from Asotasi - who seems more of a hole in the air) it's currently Hill. He looks a shadow of the player who played so well going down against Leeds in the GF.

The size thing is a complete non-issue. Wigan's pack has consistently performed poorly all season. They are very much undersized and underpowered with a back row that cannot function without gaps to run into.

As for Tomkins and Gelling, they towered just as equally over Saints make-shift three-quarters and yet they weren't running around/over/through their opposite numbers on Good Friday.

Had Warrington smashed Wigan's pack at the advantage line (as they have repeatedly over the last few years) Wigan's backs would have ceased to function. Instead you repeatedly allowed them to play the ball quickly, hardly ever followed up Myler's long kicking game and turned yardage into a charitable donation.

Indeed, the only time Warrington seemed motivated to keep Wigan penned in their own half was when the game was lost!'"

What a pile of crap! We easily matched your so-called 'superior' pack on Good Friday, even without our two best packmen, smashed Catalans big forwards last week and comprehensively outplayed the Warrington Forwards yesterday. If that is 'constantly performing poorly all season' then long may it continue.

Sure we started the season slow without the likes of Mossop, Flower and O'loughlin and Tomkins playing at centre but as we've increasingly started to get close to our first choice pack, so our performances have picked up accordingly. How come, if we're 'undersized and underpowered', your much vaunted pack singularly failed to get on top of ours on Good Friday? Wasn't the fact that we were still without our 2 best and the fact that it was played on a glue pot of a pitch meant to suit your guys? The fact is, when our first choice front row was on we bullied your pack and the only time you managed any dominance whatsoever was when an injured Tautai and Larne Patrick came on the field. Walmsley and Roby aside you looked bang average.

Don't listen to this muppet. You've probably already noticed he's of the 'everything Saints good, everything Wigan bad' school of posting. Not one good word for Wigan off last night's game. Nothing. What a joke of a poster he is!

You looked much improved from what I saw last night. Hill will come good. He's too good a player not to and, if it's any consolation, our players from the 4 nations have taken time to get back up to speed. Farrell was a shadow of his former self up until recent matches and Sarginson is still way out of form as you saw for yourselves last night. That's before we even get on to O'Loughlin! I'm guessing Hill will be suffering the same hangover. He was excellent last season and in the 4 nations, as was Sarginson, and both have proven themselves on the biggest of stages. Class is permanent, as the saying goes..

Sims, too, looks good. I know he's probably not what you were all hoping in some respects but, if other players could regain some form, then he could be a very useful addition to your pack. I agree you're probably missing another big front rower. The loss of Morley and Carvell without proper replacement might be a bridge too far (no pun intended! lol) and that might ultimately where your season falls short. Only time will tell.

Anyway, great game last night. Both sides contributed to an entertaining encounter. Good luck for the rest of the season.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Your pack was on top for the first 10-15 mins. Once Clubb and Flower came on they changed that.

What we (in the East Stand) couldn't understand was Smith's selection of a left side of Ormsby, King, Patton and Currie. All young guys, very talented but also very inexperienced at defending collectively. Wigan's right side ran riot and could have scored three more tries than they did.
Smith knows Wigan's right side, the men, their size, pace, power and skill. We were expecting Smith to swop things around with Westwood and Myler going to help Ormsby and King with Patton and Currie going right alongside Monaghan and Bridge. Smith has to be asked about that.
Unless of course that was down to Agar, which would expain everything!

Wigan's pack got on top and the halves and backs ran things. The game wasn't really won until around 10 from full time. It was a great game to watch with terrific tries from both sides.

The game benefitted from an improved pitch too. Against Brisbane it was a glue pot. The Saints game it had improved a little but not that you could play open and attractive rugby. The pitch last night was a lot firmer and that showed with the pace of the game, great handling and fast tries from both teams.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Wire don't half miss Michael Monaghan, a real hooker whose excellent distribution and decision making was a big part of your attack. Forget the Roby's, Higham's, McIlorums, Clarke's etc. Monaghan was in a different class.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Quote: Phuzzy "What a pile of crap! We easily matched your so-called 'superior' pack on Good Friday, even without our two best packmen, smashed Catalans big forwards last week and comprehensively outplayed the Warrington Forwards yesterday. If that is 'constantly performing poorly all season' then long may it continue. '"

Give over. You scraped home with a lucky bounce and a kick-through, at home, against a side with no halves. Your pack tackled well enough (although I'd expect nothing less given that it was practically a must-win game) but your props were garbage. What were (Honest) Tony Clubb's stats again? I think they were better than the previous week's THREE CARRIES for TWENTY ODD YARDS - but he'd struggle to achieve less if he'd fallen over holding the ball above his head!

Your much vaunted backs were completely snuffed out and had we the kind of fortune you'd been granted with the first kick we could easily have experienced the comic delight of winning without so much as a playmaker in sight.

If anything you were even WORSE than in the Grand Final. At least there you made the odd break through the backs. At the JJB you offered nothing.

It's unfortunate that we lost. But I expected it given our current predicament. Come the end of the season it'll be business as usual. icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9679
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46003_1489786199.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46003.png

Quote: Father Ted "What we (in the East Stand) couldn't understand was Smith's selection of a left side of Ormsby, King, Patton and Currie. All young guys, very talented but also very inexperienced at defending collectively. Wigan's right side ran riot and could have scored three more tries than they did.'"

i could understand the initial selection after the wakefield game... But to not change it when we were getting absolutely destroyed is utterly baffling... i was convinced we would have changed it for the second half.. but no, the coaching staff did the equivalent of a child putting their fingers in their ears and going "la la la la la".

Then today Smith comes out and says 'Patton got taught a lesson last night by Gelling and Tomkins'

Nice one Tony... he sure did.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1598
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Tiz Lad "Think we need enough wins to not be in the bottom 4, so how many is that. if you feel that's 7 then we're big trouble in my opinion'"

7 wins takes us to 24 points, 23 points was circled around as the minimum needed to make the 8.

However that looks a little high now as everyone is beating everyone and its a level playing field from 3rd to 11th really.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach417No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Jul 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12577.jpg
:12577.jpg

Quote: Vespid_Wire "7 wins takes us to 24 points, 23 points was circled around as the minimum needed to make the 8.

However that looks a little high now as everyone is beating everyone and its a level playing field from 3rd to 11th really.'"

So would you say it's touch and go we make the 8

Personally I do and Top 4 total non starter

RankPostsTeam
International Star1598
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Tiz Lad "So would you say it's touch and go we make the 8

Personally I do and Top 4 total non starter'"

It depends.. I'd say after Leeds next week, a decent run isn't out of the question.

We'd have got most of the tough away games out of the way after next week too and as long as we can beat the teams we ought to be beating (no offence to them) we should make top 6.

After the split, assuming we make the 8, a push for that 4th spot isn't out of the question and then from there it's 80 mins away from OT.

It's a long old slog and highly improbable, but it could happen.

Personally, I'd settle for and want a decent cup run.

101 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
101 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1513671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
0m
TV games not Wire
matt_wire
1m