Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18243.jpg
Ettinghausen's gone ice skatin':18243.jpg

The perfect thread for an interminable bore and his facts to show his feathers. SC wasn't there and is a deliberate heretic...get a grip son and realise empiricism is the only way! Wire were on the way, Andy g was a fat treacherous sh@t and John woods was something this game badly needs at present!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8629No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12633_1312317224.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12633.jpg

just wish gaz obrien was to be the next andy gregory...and myler or ratchford the next shaun edwards....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17196
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

....and anyone of the rest of our squad you want to pick to be an Ellery Hanley.

RankPostsTeam
International Star229No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I am always sad when a star player moves to pastures new but concede that professional Rugby League is a short career and players are entitled to seek the best for themselves bur Gregory's departure was a disgrace and a sad reflection on himself, Wigan and, ultimately. Rugby League itself.
I do not have too much knowledge of libel laws and will not elaborate but everyone knows or can research the saga of Gregory's transfer to Wigan which I think, should have been subject of a meaningful enquiry by the Rugby League but, as always, it was toothless in the face of a powerful club.
If Gregory later said "Look I went to Wigan for the money and glory. Maybe I handled it badly or was badly advised but I was entitled to make the best for myself" then I could understand but when given the opportunity to explain, he has tried to gloss over the whole thing thereby, in my view, compounding the situation.
As far as I am concerned neither he nor his ilk should be welcome in Warrington no matter how good they are.
Agree with the John Woods comments. At his peak he made the opposition look pedestrian. It is just a pity we had him for such a short time at the fag end of his career.
I thought Steve Roach came to Warrington on a sabbatical and was a liability.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49863_1309431041.jpg
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49863.jpg

Just a few points from me

Why we didn't kick on, from January 87 onwards?
Well, obviously Gregory leaving is the main reason. With him being the link from Boyd, Tamati, Jackson, Sanderson, Roberts, Gregory (that trips off the tongue like the National Anthem does to a patriot), to the likes of Johnson, Duane, Ropati and Drummond, his loss will be immesurable. As alluded to earlier, Woods was an offthecuff player, Gregory, an organiser, a distributor. They are different players. As good a SH Keith Holden was (and he WAS good, he wasn't a Gregory).

Another reason for the lack off kick on, was what we have now....a world class coach.
Tony Barrow was an old school shouter, a poor man's Alex Murphy, if you like. It was his first full time job, who then went onto Oldham a few years later. Not exactly Graham Lowe or John Monie, eh?
Barrow was then replaced by a very green Johnson.
Now these were both good men for our club, they weren't exactly knocking down the doors of opposition chairmen to get them to Wigan/Leeds/Saints or the NRL.

Sally has quoted a lot of stats in this thread. That's his prerogative, playing Devil's Advocate in this debate. The fact is, WE WERE THAT GOOD in that season, Gregory's defection absolutely FLOORED us in terms of confidence. Struggling to victories or stupid losses became the norm, when he left, as Warrington reverted back to type. I'm sure RubberDuckie, Morrisseyisawire, Biscuit and Teessidewire will back me up on this one.

Briers v Woods is a not even close for me. Briers wasted/coasted a chunk of his career. Yes, he won things in his twilight years, and Woods won precious little despite a glittering career, but there's more to life than winning trophies. Just ask anyone over the age of 60, who've been waxing lyrical over the last month since the death of Sir Tom Finney, and he won the square root of nothing.

If there was such a thing as time travel, Back To The Future would be set in the times of Woods and Tony Myler, who we hear was another genius, yet would get injured opening letters. It's a pity for me (and others), that I never got to see these players REGULARLY, when they were in their pomp.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

Great post Lefty, but you have left me in suspense - What were/are you sure of?... icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star3084No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68310_1347387017.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68310.jpeg

Quote: lefty goldblatt "Just a few points from me

Well, obviously Gregory leaving is the main reason. With him being the link from Boyd, Tamati, Jackson, Sanderson, Roberts, Gregory (that trips off the tongue like the National Anthem does to a patriot), to the likes of Johnson, Duane, Ropati and Drummond, his loss will be immesurable. As alluded to earlier, Woods was an offthecuff player, Gregory, an organiser, a distributor. They are different players. As good a SH Keith Holden was (and he WAS good, he wasn't a Gregory).

Another reason for the lack off kick on, was what we have now....a world class coach.
Tony Barrow was an old school shouter, a poor man's Alex Murphy, if you like. It was his first full time job, who then went onto Oldham a few years later. Not exactly Graham Lowe or John Monie, eh?
Now these were both good men for our club, they weren't exactly knocking down the doors of opposition chairmen to get them to Wigan/Leeds/Saints or the NRL.

Sally has quoted a lot of stats in this thread. That's his prerogative, playing Devil's Advocate in this debate. The fact is, WE WERE THAT GOOD in that season, Gregory's defection absolutely FLOORED us in terms of confidence. Struggling to victories or stupid losses became the norm, when he left, as Warrington reverted back to type. I'm sure RubberDuckie, Morrisseyisawire, Biscuit and Teessidewire will back me up on this one.

Briers v Woods is a not even close for me. Briers wasted/coasted a chunk of his career. Yes, he won things in his twilight years, and Woods won precious little despite a glittering career, but there's more to life than winning trophies. Just ask anyone over the age of 60, who've been waxing lyrical over the last month since the death of Sir Tom Finney, and he won the square root of nothing.

If there was such a thing as time travel, Back To The Future would be set in the times of Woods and Tony Myler, who we hear was another genius, yet would get injured opening letters. It's a pity for me (and others), that I never got to see these players REGULARLY, when they were in their pomp.'"

Absolutely, unequivocally spot-on. Fortunately, my abiding memory of Andy Gregory isn't his shabby performance off the field, but his scoot from dummy half that sent Mike Greg on his way to his glorious try for GB at the Sydney Football Stadium vs Australia. I can see it all now - Mike still isn't going to pass to Offiah, and it's beautiful.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16260
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: lefty goldblatt "
Sally has quoted a lot of stats in this thread. That's his prerogative, playing Devil's Advocate in this debate. The fact is, WE WERE THAT GOOD in that season, Gregory's defection absolutely FLOORED us in terms of confidence. Struggling to victories or stupid losses became the norm, when he left, as Warrington reverted back to type. I'm sure RubberDuckie, Morrisseyisawire, Biscuit and Teessidewire will back me up on this one.'"

The only stats I've quoted are the ones that matter: games won v games lost, league position and how well you did in cups.

A really great team with lots of great players would not get absolutely floored by losing one player...especially when his replacement was one of the all time great halfbacks!

What I suspect was really going on back then was that was an unbalanced team, with a handful of top class players, like Mike Gregory, Boyd, Blake and Johnson, and then some other players who were not anywhere near the standard of a top class side. Obviously some on here are attached to that side and view it through rose tinted glasses because that was the team of their teenage years when they were most passionate about RL, and they are attached really to those great players and forget the lack of quality in the rest of the side and the many losses against low/mid table sides.

I have the same issue with the team of the mid 1990s, I have happy memories of Davies, Bateman, Mackey, Shelford and Harris and that will always be 'my' Wire team, more than Tony Smith's bandwagon of success, but if I take the rose tinted glasses off and look through Rothmans I have to accept yes it wasn't a great side and there were a lot of other players that wouldn't have got near the top teams.

As for Briers, in the modern era he's the greatest Wire halfback, for his longevity, what he contributed in our bad times and good times, and because in the latter part of his career he gave me total confidence that he could control a game and knew how to win, which apart from Sinfield very few players in SL do these days.

I know its fashionable to say he wasted the early part of his career but I remember the days when he was putting the Aussies on the back foot in the 2000 World Cup and everyone was cursing David Waite for leaving him out of GB in 2001 and 2003 Ashes....yes maybe if he was ambitious he wouldn't have hung around at a rubbish team like us for so many years but I'm glad he did waste the early part of his career by staying with us, because it meant both him and us enjoyed the later part of his career much more.

And yes in the good old days with John Woods or Paul Bishop or even Rocky Turner you might have enjoyed some great times in cup runs against lower division sides in front of crowds of 3000 but with Lee Briers you got three wins at Wembley, wins in playoffs that took us to two Grand Finals. Maybe thats because Briers played in a far better team than Woods and Bishop did but I think at least part of it was down to Briers himself.

RankPostsTeam
International Star229No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If there was such a thing as time travel, Back To The Future would be set in the times of Woods and Tony Myler, who we hear was another genius, yet would get injured opening letters. It's a pity for me (and others), that I never got to see these players REGULARLY, when they were in their pomp.'"

I agree that Andy Gregory was the linchpin of that side who orchestrated the play in much the same way as Briers was in the recent successful side. Briers' unexpected departure, albeit for different reasons, has caused much the same problem of disorganisation and lack of cohesion and cutting edge and, of the current crop, only GOB, in my opinion, seems to have that instinct to organise play. Whether that can be coached into someone else remains to be seen but I have my doubts.

I also agree that both Briers and Gregory were different types of halfback to Woods and Blake who, though capable of individual brilliance were not organisers of play. To me Ratchford falls into the same category as Woods and Blake but I could be wrong.

I doubt though that, even if Gregory stayed, that the team would have kicked on to greater things. The awesome front row of Boyd. Tamati and Jackson was a bit old in the tooth. Roberts and Duane, two great players in my book, got crocked and Billy McGinty also moved to Wigan to become a firm favourite with the pies supporters. That period was a purple patch when we had a combination of veterans, locals and good young players which could not last because our best young players were always going to be tapped by the likes of Wigan, Saints or Leeds with who, in most cases, we could not compete financially.

This cycle of a one or two year purple patch destroyed by a combination of injury and poaching of our best players has happened so many times to the Wire over the years that I remain convinced that, notwithstanding our recent successes, a properly enforced salary cap is the best way to achieve a competitive league and, in the long run, a competitive league would rekindle interest in the game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2387No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44022.jpg
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting':44022.jpg

People are saying gregory leaving is the reason we fell apart. It isn't, because we didn't. In 1987 after he had gone we reached three major finals in which we lost every time to THAT wigan side. People are underestimating how good they actually were. They were ruthless and any team that was remotely a threat had their best players taken(us - gregory, widnes - lydon, offiah, saints - connolly, platt. The list probably goes on). In 1989 they stopped us from getting to wembley with that drop goal and in 1990 when we did finally get there they were waiting for us again! Our main gripe should be with the station road pitch for ruining Keith Holden's career. Plus, its true that our formidable pack was starting to age(boyd started to pick up a lot of injuries) and roberts was also finished too early.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1925
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45654_1331900273.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45654.jpg

Your recollections bring a tear to the eye of vintage Wire fans Lefty. As you mention Andy Gregory brought more than great organisation to that side which had a fantastic forward pack but a backline that wasn't as slick as some others.
The main problem with AG was that he wanted to play the game his way and expected everyone else to fall in line (coaches included). A certain player in that side told me of the huge rows at training and after games which disapeared once AG left. His disagreements with Sir Les weren't confind to the famous bout of fisticuffs they had after a game (Craven Park I think). He treated Warrington in similar fashion to Widnes, got what he wanted and departed. Great player with a totally selfish attitude. Wonder if the ghost writer has asked Sir Les or Jacko for a quote?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5643
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17012_1369957324.jpg
[img:2s4u5nxg]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k305/The_flying_biscuit/sig2.jpg[/img:2s4u5nxg] 2009..........2010...........2011............2012..........2016..........2017:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17012.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "
Obviously some on here are attached to that side and view it through rose tinted glasses because that was the team of their teenage years when they were most passionate about RL, and they are attached really to those great players and forget the lack of quality in the rest of the side and the many losses against low/mid table sides.
'"

there is a certain element of truth to the rose tinted teenage years argument, but i'm struggling to find many players that lacked Quality out of say the world war 3 team.
Johnson,Drummond, Cullen, Ropati, Lyon, Woods, Crompton, Boyd, Tamati, Humphries, Jackson, Duane, Mcginty.
Sanderson, Roberts.

Cullen, Crompton, and Humphries were the only substandard players.
Cullen was an awful centre, Crompton never really made the grade and like the Awful Tony Humphries was a regular reserve grade player rather than first team regular.

That day We were missing Mike Gregory, and Mark Forster couldnt get in the side.

it was a far better side than the one the bookies made the favourites to win the league this year.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

From what I recall, John Woods could be absolutely brilliant, or completely and utterly anonymous - often in the same game. When he was still at Leigh in 1984 Leeds lost 18-24, and Woods scored all their points including a couple of individually brilliant tries. A fair number of Leeds fans applauded him that day, and I'd say its still the most dominant performance I've seen from a single player - that Leigh side wasn't even that good.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach263No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I swear I saw John Woods at marker and intercept the dummy half's pass!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17196
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

Quote: the flying biscuit "the Awful Tony Humphries was a regular reserve grade player rather than first .'"

I dare you to tell him face to face.

145 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
145 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.21630859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Lord Tony Sm
32m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
43m