FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Is the Grand Final, as an event, really that good ?
95 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star479No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Grand Final was far more enjoyable with a much better atmosphere.

Is it just me or is Wembley an awfully bad stadium for generating a decent atmosphere.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

Quote: Thelonius "Strange thing is we can directly compare the Grand Final to the Challenge Cup Final. Same teams, similar attendance, I would guess similar numbers of Leeds/Wire/Neutral fans, and it would seem just as much alcohol involved yet very little trouble and very few disgruntled fans. Other than the result, which I don't believe made the slightest difference to the bad atmosphere, what is the difference between the two events? The only thing that sticks in my mind is I saw very few Leeds fans in the Warrington end at Wembley (and I assume few Wires in the Leeds end) but a lot of Leeds, or should that be none Wires, in our end at OT.'"

More riding on the Old Trafford event, thus creating more tension??

Wembley is more of a carnival atmosphere, people just glad to have made the trip all the way to London - Without wanting to portray us northerners as uneducated, little travelled sorts, it has to be said that Wembley, because of its distance, still has the aura of a far off location, which makes reaching the final as much of an acheivement as winning the competition.

Whereas, with Old Trafford, because its relatively local to most RL following folk, it all comes down to the match, which isn't helped by all the hyped up tension beforehand....Throw copious amounts of alcohol into the equation and also the most bizarre segregation policy I've witnessed in a long time and you have the ingredients for trouble.

Ultimately, the RFL need to get the segregation sorted, because that's where all the problems stem from - It has two choices...

1. Stay at Old Trafford, ends for the finalists, sides for neutrals.....As many have noted already, there was lots of neutrals in among the finalist's supporters and some of these people were there to stir up trouble, even if it wasn't intentional. Basically, hold back sales on the two ends until the two finalists are known.

2. Move to the Etihad Stadium and bring the number of neutral's tickets to a minimum.....This would be a shame for the well behaved neutrals who enjoy attending, but surely the day belongs to the finalists, so they should get a go at tickets before the neutrals have their share.

What I couldn't believe when purchasing tickets online from the RFL site, was that I could buy tickets from ANY part of the ground...Yes, they advised on which ends were allocated to which club, but there was nothing to stop me mixing in the Leeds end if I so wished.

I know we want to promote a family sport, but that was just plain naive....Unfortunately, after Saturday night, it has been proved that there is still a nobhead element bubbling away under the surface of our sport and for the good of those who want to watch our sport in peace, the RFL need to realise this and amend their ticket policy accordingly.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2900No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46584_1279360105.jpg
Warrington RLFC: The Wire, NOT Warrington Wolves FORZA WIRE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46584.jpg

Quote: Colin_Fishwick "Grand Final was far more enjoyable with a much better atmosphere.

Is it just me or is Wembley an awfully bad stadium for generating a decent atmosphere.'"

I agree. The atmosphere at Old Trafford was miles better than Wembley and the only reason I enjoyed it less was because we lost. I took a 12 year old with me - whose mum would have killed me if he ended up involved in trouble! - and I didn't feel like either of us were in any danger at any point despite witnessing a bit of aggro. There's a lot of needless cryarsing on here, and not for the first time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Eddie Hemmings said not ":1h9um51j] "Remember last time they were here, the Huddersfield Giants, they lost to a Luke Walsh drop goal. He's only scored four drop goals in his St Helens career has Luke Walsh and each and every one of them have been scored by Luke Walsh"[/quote:1h9um51j]:

It seems whereabouts in the stadium people were sat made a massive difference to whether they enjoyed a great atmosphere or felt very uncomfortable in a nasty and intimidationg atmosphere. Sorry if I seem to be 'cryarsing', but I went to watch and enjoy a game of rugby, not to sit waiting to see, hear or feel what the cretins behind me were going to do next. Nor did I want a Leeds fan in my face every time Leeds scored or he felt his team had been hard done to by Silverwood.

IF we're good/lucky enough to make it back next year I'll then make a decision as to whether or not I want to go back. Until then this year is now done and dusted as far as I am concerned. Time to go into hybernation until February.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16712.jpg
:16712.jpg

I can appreciate, for some the experience of the GF was tainted due to the trouble already discussed. My family group were in the family area in the 2nd tier North Stand, close to the North West corner. Although from our view we could see pockets of incidents in the west stand especially as the stewards were running in in numbers. Although the family area was mixed with supporters from different clubs the atmosphere was friendly.

The only time I was concerned for the safety of the youngsters was when leaving the stadium underneath the stands. This was very chlostrophobic and there were groups taunting or goading the Wire fans on for a fight. I can't say who they supported due to them not wearing any team colours.

If the Wire got to the final again I would not hesitate to purchase tickets in that area and take the 4 children (young teenagers).

As far as the whole experience, Wembley does it for me. I know to win the GF means more and maybe if we had won the memories of OT would have been different

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50086_1357229109.jpg
[b:33tg3xj5]Me:[/b:33tg3xj5] I'm still reeling from the news that someone is considering watching the 1st and 3rd game on Saturday and NOT watching Warrington play. It's like being in Shea Stadium when the Beatles came to town and deciding to nip out for a fag. [b:33tg3xj5]knockersbumpMKII:[/b:33tg3xj5] Is it FOOK, you're good but you're not THAT good, jesus you wanky fans need to get over yourselves, Beatles at the Shea in '65 was a once in a lifetime opportunity for some (despite the following years performance), you can watch a very good team in primrose & yellow play every week if you really wanted to but comparing it to one of the very best music groups of all time in an iconic stadia such as the shea is overegging your importance, you're not even the best team in SL atm:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50086.jpg

Quote: Dropkick Murphy "I agree. The atmosphere at Old Trafford was miles better than Wembley and the only reason I enjoyed it less was because we lost. I took a 12 year old with me - whose mum would have killed me if he ended up involved in trouble! - and I didn't feel like either of us were in any danger at any point despite witnessing a bit of aggro. There's a lot of needless cryarsing on here, and not for the first time.'"

I agree. Atmosphere was incredibly tense because a whole season's work was on the line. I also think they absolutely nailed the team entrance which added to the atmosphere - all that League of Extraordinary stuff was great.

Kick off time is fine but they may have to stop selling beer in the ground and they certainly need to segregate it better. Sad but true. Having said that, whoever takes most of the beer money (assume some sort of split between United and RFL) will no doubt rather keep the beer flowing.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

I commented of the league of the extraordinary advert, how professional did that look?
It looked like a nike or adidas advert with their millions they spend.
This is the kind of thing we need in our sport, professionalism of the highest order in all aspects of our game.
Anyone remember that silly advert sky did with that fat lad not getting injured because he watches superleague? It was amateur hour at its best and made us look like typical fat council meatheads.
If this is the thing to expect then i'm getting a little bit excited for the future, just a couple of things to iron out and we'll do well.
Surely with some of the types of people involved in Rugby League we should pool together and use their other skills *cough* Moran promoting *cough, even for a small cost. Everyone pitching in together to make this sport more appealing on all levels instead of clubs bitching amongst themselves.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Eddie Hemmings said not ":1h9um51j] "Remember last time they were here, the Huddersfield Giants, they lost to a Luke Walsh drop goal. He's only scored four drop goals in his St Helens career has Luke Walsh and each and every one of them have been scored by Luke Walsh"[/quote:1h9um51j]:

Quote: Horatio Yed "I commented of the league of the extraordinary advert, how professional did that look?
It looked like a nike or adidas advert with their millions they spend.
This is the kind of thing we need in our sport, professionalism of the highest order in all aspects of our game.
Anyone remember that silly advert sky did with that fat lad not getting injured because he watches superleague? It was amateur hour at its best and made us look like typical fat council meatheads.
If this is the thing to expect then i'm getting a little bit excited for the future, just a couple of things to iron out and we'll do well.
Surely with some of the types of people involved in Rugby League we should pool together and use their other skills *cough* Moran promoting *cough, even for a small cost. Everyone pitching in together to make this sport more appealing on all levels instead of clubs bitching amongst themselves.'"

Certainly agree about the League of the Extraordinary thing, very slick and impressive. I've often wonder why, with the connections the likes of Simon Moran has, we don't have a huge band doing a half hour set as part of the GF or CC warmup, or even consider a Superbowl style half time show. Great entertainment for those in the stadium (this was severely lacking I thought), and what boost for the profile of the sport if artists the stature of Madonna, Beyonce, or AC/DC (off the top of my head) were to be there.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2453
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11060_1286462910.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11060.jpeg

Quote: Ian 77 Redux "I agree. Atmosphere was incredibly tense because a whole season's work was on the line. I also think they absolutely nailed the team entrance which added to the atmosphere - all that League of Extraordinary stuff was great.

Kick off time is fine but they may have to stop selling beer in the ground and they certainly need to segregate it better. Sad but true. Having said that, whoever takes most of the beer money (assume some sort of split between United and RFL) will no doubt rather keep the beer flowing.'"

Banning beer in the ground does nothing but keep people outside longer. Remember the pre beer days at wilderspool and seeing the huge queue's down Fletcher street come 2:45

RankPostsTeam
International Star281No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68597_1349643631.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68597.jpg

I must say that I was so caught up in nerves in the hour before kick off that any "entertainment" would have been lost on me - I can't even remember this League of the Extraordinary advert.

As someone who's never been to Wembley and who hadn't been to a GF final before I went with my 8 year old son and wasn't quite sure what to expect. We were in the North Stand 2nd tier and I thought the view and feeling of closeness to the action was excellent. There were two tools who happened to be Leeds fans two rows in front of us, who at various times times were drinking and smoking, but they were prats more than anything else - the sort of people who flick Vs at opposition fans at the other end of the stadium rather than the opposition fans around them. There were other very decent Leeds fans around them who I think were keeping an eye on them if they got too out of hand, and to be fair at the end of the game one of them did give a non-sarcastic smile and wave to my son, reminding him that Wire had beaten them at Wembley. A fight did break out quite a few rows above us at one point and the police ejected at least one person, but my boy seemed to be oblivious to it.

Overall I was left with the impression that it was not dangerous but you had to be wary of 2 or 3 possible troublemakers for every 250 or 300 decent fans. If we get there again I'd go back, and so would my son, like a shot. We shook hands with the Leeds fans around us at the end of the game, and the best line of the night for me came from a Leeds fan who good-humouredly pointed out that there was a separate exit to the gents at OT "Don't worry, it's your first time here" icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50086_1357229109.jpg
[b:33tg3xj5]Me:[/b:33tg3xj5] I'm still reeling from the news that someone is considering watching the 1st and 3rd game on Saturday and NOT watching Warrington play. It's like being in Shea Stadium when the Beatles came to town and deciding to nip out for a fag. [b:33tg3xj5]knockersbumpMKII:[/b:33tg3xj5] Is it FOOK, you're good but you're not THAT good, jesus you wanky fans need to get over yourselves, Beatles at the Shea in '65 was a once in a lifetime opportunity for some (despite the following years performance), you can watch a very good team in primrose & yellow play every week if you really wanted to but comparing it to one of the very best music groups of all time in an iconic stadia such as the shea is overegging your importance, you're not even the best team in SL atm:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50086.jpg

Quote: dids858 "Banning beer in the ground does nothing but keep people outside longer. Remember the pre beer days at wilderspool and seeing the huge queue's down Fletcher street come 2

Well, it does one more thing as well. It stops them buying beer during the game. It also stops steward having to throw people out for sneaking beer into the seats. It also stops fights breaking out when people, as happened again at Wembley, throwing beer up in the air.

Actually that's 3 things it does as well as keeping people outside longer.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2900No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46584_1279360105.jpg
Warrington RLFC: The Wire, NOT Warrington Wolves FORZA WIRE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46584.jpg

I went in the ground an hour before kick off because the Premier Inn which I'd been drinking outside now had a huge queue to get in, nevermind get to the bar, so I decided to go for a couple on the concourse of the ground. If I thought there would be no alcohol on sale in the ground I'd have waited in the queue at the Premier Inn.

Apologies to all who are offended by this act of mindless hooliganism.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1238
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13177.gif
//www.lostadio.co.uk:13177.gif

Quote: Dropkick Murphy "I went in the ground an hour before kick off because the Premier Inn which I'd been drinking outside now had a huge queue to get in, nevermind get to the bar, so I decided to go for a couple on the concourse of the ground. If I thought there would be no alcohol on sale in the ground I'd have waited in the queue at the Premier Inn.

Apologies to all who are offended by this act of mindless hooliganism.'"

Not a real fan.

I think the day is what you make of it. Old Trafford is never going to feel the same as Wembley as Wembley is a long day/weekend out. All the anticipation of going somewhere you don't go that often and spending pre match around the stadium in the pubs or up Wembley way.

Old Trafford is never going to feel the same. Fans are spaced out around Manchester City centre or around the ground. I've been to Old Trafford hundreds of times so there's nothing special in that either. I'm not sure what people are complaining about OT either. It's a hundred year old ground that has been redeveloped many times in that period. It's never going to compete for comfort with a brand new ground like Wembley or even the City of Manchester stadium but it can generate one hell of an atmosphere with the right crowd in it. Do people not notice how bad other Football and Rugby grounds are.

A friend of the wife was complaining that it was badly organised and that it took over an hour and a half to get out of a car park. What that's got to do with Old Trafford or the RFL, I don't know.

I had a fairly good day in all. We went to the pub for a few in Warrington. Had a laugh with mates before getting the train in to Oxford Road with a few cans bought near Central station. Rather than find a pub to spend the afternoon in, we got a few more cans and walked to the ground. Hung around the ground until half an hour before kick off. There didn't seem to be as many fancy dress or neutral fans as Wembley.

Not much in the way of pre match entertainment but that doesn't really bother me. Didn't really see any trouble where we were in the ground. My only complaint was that with the noise of the crowd and the size of the stands I felt a bit detached from the game but the drink probably had an effect on that as well.

Left at the hooter. I saw loads of Leeds fans who had left before the presentation which was bizarre. Ended up walking to Trafford Park to catch the train home which was at 8:50 ish. Train was packed but everyone was in good spirits and was still a few laughs to be had.

All in all, a good day out apart from the result.

If I was in charge of the RFL the recommendations I would make are a bit more pre match/half time entertainment for those who want it and segregation of fans. To the point of asking who you support at the time of buying your tickets so that you don't end up with the opposition fans or groups of your local rivals sat amongst the finalists support. Tickets should also come with a warning that if you do end up sat amongst rivals and you start to antagonise them, you will be kicked out. Or even better, held in the cells underneath the ground (if they are still there) until after the match has long finished. That was the punishment they used to give you if you even dared to climb into the Stretford end from the Stretford paddock.

I've a feeling this thread wouldn't be half as long if we'd have won on Saturday.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2484No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62513_1315488299.png
[color=#0000FF:6eeyneer]ONE[/color:6eeyneer] [color=#FFFF00:6eeyneer]LOVE[/color:6eeyneer] God bless the flag that I live under the colours of primrose and blue.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62513.png

Quote: Horatio Yed "I commented of the league of the extraordinary advert, how professional did that look?
It looked like a nike or adidas advert with their millions they spend.'"

The advert was undoubtedly superb. However the first time I saw it was when I watched the sky plussed version of the Grand Final back over the next day. Surely this advert should've been all over the telly throughout the playoffs?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2900No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46584_1279360105.jpg

Quote: latchfordbob "I've a feeling this thread wouldn't be half as long if we'd have won on Saturday.'"

In a nutshell.

I can't understand the problem with OT itself either. After Anfield, Wilderspool and the HJ, it's probably the ground I've been to more than any other for a number of reasons - several Liverpool aways, 2006 FA Cup semi, 2007 FA Youth Cup, Olympic football, previous Grand Finals, and a couple of friendlies years ago involving Celtic.

My only gripe with it is that I don't particularly like the club that owns it, and I wish my football club had the scope to build our ground up to the same size and standard! It's a brilliant ground.

95 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
95 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.4931640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
Cruncher
5m
TV Games - Not Hull
B0NES
6m