FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Finishing top means you are champions?
36 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Eddie Hemmings said not ":1h9um51j] "Remember last time they were here, the Huddersfield Giants, they lost to a Luke Walsh drop goal. He's only scored four drop goals in his St Helens career has Luke Walsh and each and every one of them have been scored by Luke Walsh"[/quote:1h9um51j]:

I would prefer top of the table to be champions as I hate the idea that in theory a team could win all 30 Super League games then lose one and win nothing. But having said that I love the drama of the Grand Final even though it's only provided heartbreak for us so far.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

I haven't enjoyed either GF, and that includes when we were winning, i love my live games, both of those were torture and if we get there again it will continue to be torture.

Challenge cup final games I've loved, even the ones we have been beat in the past, don't know what it is, but they're not fun

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17200
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

I'd like to see top of the league recognised but it means losing the magic weekend as a third fixture but the playoffs have been around for sometime and now excepted. A case of you can't have the custard and eat it!
; )

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach786
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
White Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:White Backgrounds/Statler.gif

I would prefer that the team who finishes top of the league is recognised as the Champions (as I do). The "Champion " team should the best team over the full season, not the team who can string 3 or 4 wins together at the end of the season.
This wouldn't stop the end of year playoffs, as they have been going for years.
The Super league trophy would still be attended, as it has become the end of year day out for fans of not just the competing teams.
Personally can't stand the competition, but I have no faith in the RFL ever coming up with any sensible alternatives.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Quote: Wire Weaver "I would prefer that the team who finishes top of the league is recognised as the Champions (as I do). The "Champion " team should the best team over the full season, not the team who can string 3 or 4 wins together at the end of the season.
The Super league trophy would still be attended, as it has become the end of year day out for fans of not just the competing teams.
Personally can't stand the competition, but I have no faith in the RFL ever coming up with any sensible alternatives.'"

The Grand Final simply has to stay. It's one of only three occasions in the domestic calendar where the sport can put on a show and get some press coverage.

Top of the league winning would also mean you couldn't have Magic Weekend without making it unfair on the team losing a home game. So to remove two of the sport's three big occasions seems a little dramatic. Whilst every so often a first past the post format produces a last day of the season Aguerrroooo moment, for all but two or three sides, the season would be over within two months. You'd have eight teams with nothing at all to play for, which would result in huge scorelines.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach786
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
White Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:White Backgrounds/Statler.gif

Quote: Saddened! "The Grand Final simply has to stay. It's one of only three occasions in the domestic calendar where the sport can put on a show and get some press coverage.

Top of the league winning would also mean you couldn't have Magic Weekend without making it unfair on the team losing a home game. So to remove two of the sport's three big occasions seems a little dramatic. Whilst every so often a first past the post format produces a last day of the season Aguerrroooo moment, for all but two or three sides, the season would be over within two months. You'd have eight teams with nothing at all to play for, which would result in huge scorelines.'"

Didn't say the GF wouldn't stay, it's just the end of year play offs under another name.

With the Magic weekend, why is it any more unfair one team losing a home game, than it is unfair for a top team playing a team at the bottom of the league, when another top of the league team has to play another team on level position in the league at the time? (i.e. our fixture could be v Leeds and Hull could be v Catalan how is that fair?)

With a little more imagination, the magic weekend (stupid name really) could be used instead as perhaps a round of the Challenge cup, last 16 teams - 4 matches per day.

Last year, the first time this play off format was used, the teams in 5th to 8th place had nothing to play for after two or three matches in the play offs.

As this topic states should finishing top of the league be the true reflection of the Champion team, and as I stated, yes it should be.

RankPostsTeam
International Star74No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wire Yed "I haven't enjoyed either GF, and that includes when we were winning, i love my live games, both of those were torture and if we get there again it will continue to be torture.

Challenge cup final games I've loved, even the ones we have been beat in the past, don't know what it is, but they're not fun'"

I have exactly the same feelings. I don't know what it is, maybe something to do with where they're played or when (cold evening) or that it feels like there's more to lose if we've done well in the league. It might be that my memories of the occasion are clouded because I've always come away so disappointed.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Finishing top means you are consistently good. But can you win under greater pressure? Can you raise your game way past the intensity of a regular season game and still show you're the best?

Our sport started in 1895, that's 121 years, and we've had the Grand Final to name you as champions in 70 of those years. It isn't a modern concept, the first Grand Final was in 1908. We've won three in 1948, 1954 and 1955. It's a traditional way to name you as champions in our sport so why would we change that back to a way we've only had for 51 years of our history?

I do think finishing top of the league is a greater achievement than the money and crap trophy would suggest but it doesn't mean you're the best or should be called champions.

Plus our sport needs showpiece events and only the Magic Weekend, Challenge Cup final and Grand Final provide that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3648
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50409_1268084441.jpg
Deus Dat Incrementum:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50409.jpg

Quote: Wire Weaver "I would prefer that the team who finishes top of the league is recognised as the Champions (as I do). The "Champion " team should the best team over the full season, not the team who can string 3 or 4 wins together at the end of the season.
Personally can't stand the competition, but I have no faith in the RFL ever coming up with any sensible alternatives.'"

Soccer aside, can you name me any other sports which use the first-past-the-post system to determine their champion? Rugby league throughout history has used a play-off system far more than FPTP.

The grand final is one of the best attended sporting finals in this country. Why on earth would a sport,which struggles for publicity, want to trade this in for the league potentially being determined weeks before the end of the season, on a wet Thursday night in Wakefield in front of 3,000 people?

The only thing I would perhaps change, is the league-leaders 'shield'. I think it is quite a nice piece of silverware but others seem to disagree, so I would suggest that we invoke the old championship trophy for this purpose.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4093
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Darlings of Super League:

If and when we win a Grand Final, we will chill out about this question and leave it to Huddersfield fans. The play-offs aren't going anywhere and the Old Trafford final is the ultimate test of a team's ability to dig out a result.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11580
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wigg'n "GF is the pinnacle of our sport and the play-offs have produced some incredible games. Can't see us ever getting rid of that format.'"

I went to the 1960 play off final at Odsal to watch Wakey against Wigan, it was a top 4 play off then 1st v 4th 2nd v 3rd, over the years it's had different formats, we've always had the play off' and your right they won't ever get rid of them rightly or wrongly.

RankPostsTeam
International Star484
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif

There has always been play-offs in RL ever since I started following then game in the 1950's Top 4/ 8 / 16, decades before Sky Sports owned the game but the winners were never considered to be champions, that honour belonged to whoever finished top of the pile. Sky don't own the Challenge cup 100% so they do their best to ignore it, placing greater emphasis on the play-offs which to my mind is just a means of extending Sky's season and wringing the last drop of blood from the game....I still believe it's the dream of most players to appear in a Challenge Cup final at Wembley on a sunny summer afternoon than be at Old Trafford on a cold and damp Autumn night to be presented with a bling ring probably sourced at Aldi for a tenner.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator6021
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66556.jpg

Quote: Wire Weaver "Didn't say the GF wouldn't stay, it's just the end of year play offs under another name.

With the Magic weekend, why is it any more unfair one team losing a home game, than it is unfair for a top team playing a team at the bottom of the league, when another top of the league team has to play another team on level position in the league at the time? (i.e. our fixture could be v Leeds and Hull could be v Catalan how is that fair?)

With a little more imagination, the magic weekend (stupid name really) could be used instead as perhaps a round of the Challenge cup, last 16 teams - 4 matches per day.

Last year, the first time this play off format was used, the teams in 5th to 8th place had nothing to play for after two or three matches in the play offs.

As this topic states should finishing top of the league be the true reflection of the Champion team, and as I stated, yes it should be.'"

I agree with you Weav' and would use the play offs as a system to sort teams out for World Club Challenge which ideally should be played as a climax to the season rather than a damp squib curtain raiser IMO

RankPostsTeam
Moderator6021
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg

Quote: Ganson's Optician "Soccer aside, can you name me any other sports which use the first-past-the-post system to determine their champion? Rugby league throughout history has used a play-off system far more than FPTP.

The grand final is one of the best attended sporting finals in this country. Why on earth would a sport,which struggles for publicity, want to trade this in for the league potentially being determined weeks before the end of the season, on a wet Thursday night in Wakefield in front of 3,000 people?

The only thing I would perhaps change, is the league-leaders 'shield'. I think it is quite a nice piece of silverware but others seem to disagree, so I would suggest that we invoke the old championship trophy for this purpose.'"

Yeah what do the soccer lads know about running sports competitions and raking in the cash?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator6021
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg

Quote: BrianBradyHandOff "There has always been play-offs in RL ever since I started following then game in the 1950's Top 4/ 8 / 16, decades before Sky Sports owned the game but the winners were never considered to be champions, that honour belonged to whoever finished top of the pile. Sky don't own the Challenge cup 100% so they do their best to ignore it, placing greater emphasis on the play-offs which to my mind is just a means of extending Sky's season and wringing the last drop of blood from the game....I still believe it's the dream of most players to appear in a Challenge Cup final at Wembley on a sunny summer afternoon than be at Old Trafford on a cold and damp Autumn night to be presented with a bling ring probably sourced at Aldi for a tenner.'"

There may have been play offs but we also had a period of first past the post.

In' the olden days' the play offs were surely a way of evening out the comp, it was before my time but everyone didn't play each other home and away and there was a split along county lines, the league was huge and parts of Yorkshire were still without electricity?

The salary capped SL of only 12 and 14 teams and the internal combustion engine might make for a fairer FPTP competition

36 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
36 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.34375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
12m
Film game
Boss Hog
12m