JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74166_1608576718.jpeg
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74166.jpeg

How about...drum roll...Ashton Simms?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator99984No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif

Quote: Captain Hook "How about...drum roll...Ashton Simms?'"

As a 'sort of' outsider looking in, I'm looking forward to how this goes ...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Erm, unless we're now looking at bang on good to average players who move on and we don't really miss them, then I'm not quite sure how he fits into 'underated'.

For me, underated might be someone who we struggle to replace either from within or through recruitment, and I don't think we're significantly worse without Sims (but that's not to detract from the contribution he made whilst he was here).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17183
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

I was hoping Gelling might replace Bridge...but that has seemingly gone pear shaped

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39612
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

it was interesting watching the leeds play off game from 2013 on FB last week, both stef and westwood spoke in glowing terms and said exactly the same thing about grixy.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4597
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74166_1608576718.jpeg
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74166.jpeg

Quote: shinymcshine "Erm, unless we're now looking at bang on good to average players who move on and we don't really miss them, then I'm not quite sure how he fits into 'underated'.

For me, underated might be someone who we struggle to replace either from within or through recruitment, and I don't think we're significantly worse without Sims (but that's not to detract from the contribution he made whilst he was here).'"

Our last GF final season he and Hill were our only frontline props, has to be worth something.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

Quote: Captain Hook "Our last GF final season he and Hill were our only frontline props, has to be worth something.'"

He turned up with a decent reputation. Turned out to be distinctly average.

Not exactly the definition of underrated.

I think underrated is better suited to players who fans of other clubs don't see anything special in, but who their own fans see every week and get to see and appreciate their contribution to the team.

With that in mind, I'd say Mike Cooper is presently our most under rated player.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2374No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44022.jpg
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting':44022.jpg

Quote: Dita's Slot Meter "He turned up with a decent reputation. Turned out to be distinctly average.

Not exactly the definition of underrated.

I think underrated is better suited to players who fans of other clubs don't see anything special in, but who their own fans see every week and get to see and appreciate their contribution to the team.

With that in mind, I'd say Mike Cooper is presently our most under rated player.'"

Very true. The fact that he matches or even outplays the mighty saints pack every time he meets them and he's performed excellently in the nrl seems to be lost on most opposition fans.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77013_1548945042.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77013.png

Partly in the SL era - Gary Chambers. Not the biggest prop by any means but made plenty of yards and did a ton of tackling. Hardly missed a game either which probably shortened his career. Gary gave his all in the P&B even in the latter years of his career when injuries had taken their toll.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Sims felt like a disappointment given what we were expecting, but I can see the case for him being underrated by Wire fans, as he got unfairly criticised.

The Guardian used to have a sports feature called "On Second Thoughts..." where they looked back at a footballer or tournament that may have been underappreciated at the time. You could do that for Ashton Sims and also Paul Rauhihi.

For comparison, think of Sims and Rauhihi compared to Andrew Gee and Roy Asotasi. The second pair were just disappointments. Gee was just a straight up and down runner who seemed to be over here to hang out with his buddies Langer and Renouf. Then he went back to Brisbane and played State of Origin for Queensland for the next two seasons! Asotasi....completely unforgettable, must have been the most disappointing signing of TS reign.

With Sims and Rauhihi, we expected a lot, got disappointed and by the end of their first season fans had probably written them off as bad signings. But by the time they had left, they had made a decent contribution. They weren't players that I ever felt were loafing about.

In Rauhihi's case, he was disappointing because at the time we signed him he was rated one of the top 2 or 3 props in the NRL, up there with Adrian Morley who we signed a year later. The difference was age. Rauhihi was four years older than Morley. North Queensland Cowboys signed Rauhihi at the same stage of his career that we signed Morley, and got elite production out of him. We got Rauhihi at the stage Salford got Morley. The will was still there but time had blunted his effectiveness.

In Sims case, he came in to a difficult situation because we'd had a number of years of watching a dominant Wire front row steamrollering teams. We then lost Morley, Carvell, Cooper and Wood within 12 months, and Asotasi had flopped as a replacement. So we were really hoping to have signed a big gun to fill their boots, and Sims looked like he was going to be good - big guy built like a tank, muscles, long hair, tattoos, looked like he was going to be an enforcer. In the NRL though he had been a good solid first grader rather than a top talent, he hadn't played State of Origin.

Basically that's what he was for us - a good solid first grader, similar level to Mark Hilton. So we were disappointed if we thought we were getting a new Morley or Carvell.

He did seem to embrace playing for Wire though, he had a lot of passion and didn't sulk or go hiding if we were losing. We have complained in the last couple of years that there aren't enough vocal players on the pitch trying to stand up and be leaders, but Sims did and seemed to command respect. He took the responsibilities of wearing the P&B seriously, he wasn't one of these Aussies who seems like they are counting down the days till they can engineer a move back home. He got involved with the club's off field stuff, teammates seemed to like him, he did a lot of media stuff too and came across well, he seems like an intelligent guy.

Because of his distinctive look, he became the face of the club when he was here, Sky or the BBC would always trail anything related to Warrington with some clip of Sims taking a hit up or shouting. Maybe that raised expectations and is judged to a higher standard, but if you take out the fact that he signed from Brisbane and looked like a character from the Vikings and just view him as any signing, he was a decent player with the right attitude to playing for Wire and the pack got weaker after he left.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2440
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Rauhihi was a bit of an enigma for me.
But there was one match at HJ against Leeds where he virtually single handedly totally destroyed them.
He was simply awesome.

He'd been average up to that match and I expected him to kick on after but in all honesty he didn't.
He had the odd good game but nothing ever approaching his performance in the Meds match.

Shame.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73453_1726091783.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73453.jpg

I don't get this weird thing where there was this big expectation from sims like he was was a wrecking machine in the NRL then failed to live up to it over here, he wasn't a wrecking machine and he played for us the same as he played his whole career in the NRL.
He had a really good engine, solid in defense and took the ball up hard every chance he got. He was a passionate, energetic solid forward for us and we shouldn't have let him go. He was one of the best props we've had in the past 5 years and multiple props we've signed since have failed and been utter garbage, i'd take a player like Sims any day of the week.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8011No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49863_1309431041.jpg
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49863.jpg

Interesting last couple of pages.
Sims.
I wouldn't say he was underrated, just a good honest player who didn't let you down (Waterhouseesque. A good player, that was just [imissing something [/i) . When he and Hill were rotated after 25 minutes or so, our performances dropped off, and we struggled until they came back on.

Rauhihi
I liked the fella. A good offloading prop. One of the [ifaithful's [/i scapegoats, though. I remember speaking to a lad I know (his girlfriend /wife was part of the club establishment, then) and her story was " It was easier to tell you what was right with his body, rather than tell you what was wrong with his body, when we signed him. He was falling apart". A shame he missed out on Wembley.

Gee
Basically, Langer's minder, who liked a fight. I remember Flearey and Farrell at Leeds both trying to take him on, simultaneously. It didn't end well for them. A disappointment. If, as Sally says, he went back and played SoO, it must've been on reputation alone. That, or Queensland must've been down to the bare bones for props.
An old Widnesian work colleague of mine came down to Wilderspool to watch Langer, and he was full of praise. Then, he turned to Gee. "Andrew Gee? ANDREW ####ING GEE? You might as well've signed Fred Gee (old Coronation Street reference from the 70's/80's.......he was a fat barman). He wasn't impressed

Wainwright
Again, I liked the fella. Another of the [ifaithful's [/i scapegoats whenever he made a mistake.

Asotasi
Up there with Roberts. [i'nuff said[/i [sizewink[/size

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: fez1 "Rauhihi was a bit of an enigma for me.
But there was one match at HJ against Leeds where he virtually single handedly totally destroyed them.
He was simply awesome.

He'd been average up to that match and I expected him to kick on after but in all honesty he didn't.
He had the odd good game but nothing ever approaching his performance in the Meds match.

Shame.'"

I remember that game well. We completely smashed them, Fa'afili got a hat-trick, Rauhihi monstered them. It was like watching men against boys, the boys being a Leeds team with Peacock, Lauititi, Ellis, JJB in the pack.

In the Cullen era, we would get these performances where we looked completely awesome. The atmosphere and reaction from the crowd in those dominant Cullen era performances was better than it was in 2011 when TS team was smashing everyone. Back then there was an excited expectation every time we put on a performance like that, which got us thinking about whether we could be Grand Final contenders, whereas in the TS era it was more like "yeah yeah, we know we're going to be in the playoffs anyway so this game doesn't make a difference".

A few weeks after that Leeds win then we had that horrible loss away in the Challenge Cup quarter final against Hull KR. That derailed us and sent us in to a disastrous run of form, Cullen kept bringing it up after future defeats, saying the cup loss "absolutely knocked the stuffing out of us" which summed up the frailty in the team at that time that separated us from being a trophy winning side. Teams like Saints and Bradford could have a bad loss and then whoever they played next week got the backlash and it was soon forgotten, with us bad defeats would hang over us.

We had an interesting set of games with TS's Leeds team that year. At the HJ, Rauhihi carved them up. Later in the season we went to Headingley and they got revenge on us, they kept spreading the ball wide early and shredded us to pieces. We lacked pace and Leeds had us chasing shadows. Then a few weeks later, we went back to Leeds in the playoffs, expecting a similar shallacking, and won our first ever SL playoff victory with Briers kicking a drop goal at the end. I was living in Leeds at the time and the mood locally really turned against TS after that playoff game, and he never won the fans back over although he did win SL the next season before leaving for the GB job.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png

Quote: lefty goldblatt "
Gee
Basically, Langer's minder, who liked a fight. I remember Flearey and Farrell at Leeds both trying to take him on, simultaneously. It didn't end well for them. A disappointment. If, as Sally says, he went back and played SoO, it must've been on reputation alone. That, or Queensland must've been down to the bare bones for props.'"

Yeah I forgot about Gee's liking for the brawls. He seemed like an old school prop and probably enjoyed the fact that RL over here back then was still quite relaxed about a bit of biff. It was usually just a sin bin and forgotten about whereas in Aus they handed out lengthy bans and their media would condemn them for setting a bad example to the children and so on.

Gee played in both the 2002 and 2003 Origin series, and players don't usually get picked for Origin on reputation/sentimental reasons so I'm guessing his form picked up when he went back there...

When I went to the Broncos Leagues Club, I was surprised at how revered Gee is in Brisbane. He's regarded as one of their all time greats, pictures of him in a prominent position in their displays. Mind you....Gee did used to be a director of the Leagues Club. He had a job working for the Broncos, and resigned in strange circumstances, when the auditors found $300k of payments going out of the leagues club that couldn't be accounted for. The NRL tried to investigate the Broncos for salary cap breaches, and said their investigation was hampered because Gee and some other officials stopped them having access to information. After that the NRL basically made him an outcast from working in RL there.

A few years later, he was running a building company and faced a lot of complaints that his firm wasn't paying contractors, then went in to liquidation.

Seems like an interesting character. icon_ask.gif

83 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
83 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.21142578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
Recent