FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Just goes to show...
81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif
:15968.gif

Quote: slimwire66 "whats time got to do with any thing you asked for examples, cos you could not think of any yourself, highlighting your poor historical knowledge,

they won major trophies with wigan 12 years ago

so therfore were better than gleeson... star team rather than players!'"

You did.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12937_1277989655.jpg
We're the first ones to starve, we're the first ones to die The first ones in line for that pie-in-the-sky And we're always the last when the cream is shared out For the worker is working when the fat cat's about:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12937.jpg

Is/was Glees really a 'sulker' and 'not commited' or is he just a really laid back and easy going bloke?

He looked quite commited when he went 90 metres against Bratfurt last season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach968No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41312.jpg
"she wore, she wore, she wore a yellow gibbon" "she wore a yellow gibbon in the merry month of may" "and when i asked her why she wore a gibbon" "she said it's for the wire and it's gonna climb a tree!" INARDIS FIDELIS "If Noble is there next year I will not be renewing my season tickets mine and two grandchildren the future Wigan Suporters. How low can we get".............wigan fans ...ancient and loyal:41312.jpg

Quote: mark_m "You did.'"

you brought 12 years into it, not me, some of those players did not play 12 years ago, the point i'm making is they came back better players for wigan than for wires

btw how many wire matches did you watch in 97, i saw them all did you?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach968No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41312.jpg
"she wore, she wore, she wore a yellow gibbon" "she wore a yellow gibbon in the merry month of may" "and when i asked her why she wore a gibbon" "she said it's for the wire and it's gonna climb a tree!" INARDIS FIDELIS "If Noble is there next year I will not be renewing my season tickets mine and two grandchildren the future Wigan Suporters. How low can we get".............wigan fans ...ancient and loyal:41312.jpg

Quote: slimwire66 "you brought 12 years into it, not me, some of those players did not play 12 years ago, the point i'm making is they came back better players for wigan than for wires

btw how many wire matches did you watch in 97, i saw them all did you?'"

christchurch, cronulla & penrith away?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif

You typed;

"they won major trophies with wigan 12 years ago".

Which is incorrect. I suspect the last one mentioned to win anything was McGinty in 1994. And I dare say they did improve at Wigan because they were full time players whilst at Warrington they were not. But since SL...nothing.

Therefore, I don't believe Gleeson will suddenly become a superstar again at Wigan. They are no different than us in 2009 and I cannot think of a single valid reason why he would.

And I dare say I hardly missed any matches in 1997 if any at all. Do I get a badge or something?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach96No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44632.jpg
:44632.jpg

Quote: 'Hitman' Norvern Soul "Is/was Glees really a 'sulker' and 'not commited' or is he just a really laid back and easy going bloke?

He looked quite commited when he went 90 metres against Bratfurt last season.'"
I think so! I seen him wingeing at other players in our last few home games, he looked like he wanted out? Easy to say now though

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif

Quote: slimwire66 "christchurch, cronulla & penrith away?'"

Ahh I see. Are you one of the 52 and in the 'superfan' category?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach968No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41312.jpg

Quote: mark_m "You typed;

"they won major trophies with wigan 12 years ago".

Which is incorrect. I suspect the last one mentioned to win anything was McGinty in 1994. And I dare say they did improve at Wigan because they were full time players whilst at Warrington they were not. But since SL...nothing.

Therefore, I don't believe Gleeson will suddenly become a superstar again at Wigan. They are no different than us in 2009 and I cannot think of a single valid reason why he would.

And I dare say I hardly missed any matches in 1997 if any at all. Do I get a badge or something?'"

you picked me up on one point, fair enough, but it was you that brought up the twelve years, when the players i mentioned played for wigan they had more sucess than when they played for us, the rest is your poor arguements, you did miss at least 3 matches in 97, as i know every fan who went on the wcc by name!

so no badge for you!

and we'll see about gleeson only time will tell/ history writes itself and all that

my opinion, just as your entitled to yours

but the point i first made was he will come to bite us on the bum...so lets see shall we?

who brought superleague up?

stop moving the goal posts to suit your arguement

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif

Quote: slimwire66 "you picked me up on one point, fair enough, but it was you that brought up the twelve years, when the players i mentioned played for wigan they had more sucess than when they played for us, the rest is your poor arguements, you did miss at least 3 matches in 97, as i know every fan who went on the wcc by name!

so no badge for you!

and we'll see about gleeson only time will tell/ history writes itself and all that

my opinion, just as your entitled to yours

but the point i first made was he will come to bite us on the bum...so lets see shall we?

who brought superleague up?

stop moving the goal posts to suit your arguement'"

Fair enough. Although all the players mentioned are all a long time ago and there has been nothing of note since the full-time SL era.

You seem to forget that Wigan aren't famous anymore!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach968No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41312.jpg

Quote: mark_m "Ahh I see. Are you one of the 52 and in the 'superfan' category?'"

who knows, you don't! maybe i am, not for you or me to judge is it?

i was one of the 52

and went to the WCC in97

you?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Dont see him every week like you guys but from an opposing fans perspective if you asked 100 opposing fans for the name of the most dangerous player for warrington i am sure 95% of them would name Gleeson. He may be a bad apple, he may be a sulker but unless there is a top notch replacement, I am afraid yoy may be £100k better off, but mathers cant get a game at wigan, and think you are less dangerous.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif

Quote: slimwire66 "who knows, you don't! maybe i am, not for you or me to judge is it?

i was one of the 52

and went to the WCC in97

you?'"

No but you must direct me to your employer who clearly pays you far more than mine pays me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach968No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41312.jpg

Quote: mark_m "No but you must direct me to your employer who clearly pays you far more than mine pays me.'"

nhs

stop spending your money on other things! icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach775No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Apr 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: slimwire66 "i think this will come back and bite us on the ass!'"

The club no longer own a donkey.

JWP
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13016No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10347_1278884845.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10347.jpg

You can have the best player in the world but when he doesn't want to be somewhere, you won't get the best out of him (Cristiano Ronaldo's early season form being the casing point). Gleesons comments & Smiths comments both indicate that Martin Gleeson wasn't looking at staying here longer than the season end, and in fact Gleesons comments insinuate that he'd been looking to move for a while, be it to the NRL etc.

I've had my say on Gleeson earlier in this thread, I don't think there's much else to say, other than to point out that Gleesons last two moves have been money orientated, and I think that tells you enough about him. He's done well for us, he hasn't enhanced his reputation but he certainly hasn't damaged it, all his wingers have scored tries and he's been a real threat, but through all that, he's never really been likeable has he ? He's never wanted to endear himself to the fans has he ? If he's attended events it's looked an effort and such.

I think Smith has another dig at him, maybe dig is the wrong word, but Smith makes his point with the Mathers announcement, about the proffesionalism that Richie brings to training, and the example that he sets to younger players etc. I think that's the key to this transfer, I really do. When Gleeson has his game head on, I don't think Smith has a problem, but something tells you that through the week, he isn't the most committed, and we've got plenty of talented youngster in our squad right now, who'll look upto people like Gleeson, and it's a pretty poor yardstick for these guys to have.

Add to the above, the work of Bastian, and before Bastian, there's some very, very talented kads going to break though in the next year or two, the Reserves & U'18s flying at present, if your going to keep bringing these guys into your setup, their going to be like sponges, and if you set them the right example, and they are introduced to the right environment then it'll be second nature to them, and their standards will be set high from the outset, and this will be passed on & on, Smith obviously felt Gleeson didn't portray the right image, didn't have the right manner of proffesionalism and has been moved on, and I'm sure that there will be others, if they don't meet the requirements, Mathers will know what to expect, and no doubt will be looking forward to it.

I'm sure Smith will use this transfer, and the revival of Lee Briers and say to the squad, here's two examples, ones a GB international, gone, because he didn't have the desire to work hard, day in day out. That could be you, I will make decisions, tough ones, look, here's the proof. Flipside, show enough desire, and look at Lee, I dropped him, he reacted by getting his head down, two vastly improved performances later, he's a big part of the side moving forward.

For two long we've been fed soundbites, like the ones Gleeson has given today. We've had them from Cull, players signing, players at forums, columns, you name it. We want actions, we want tangible, visable differences and Smith has delivered one today, whilst sounding a massively loud warning shot to anybody else thinking that he's another 'all talk, no action' kinda guy.

81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.54638671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
IMG
Fantastic Mr
17m
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Cruncher
17m