JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49863_1309431041.jpg
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49863.jpg

Quote: Asgardian13 "We never saw the absolute best of Dessie at the Wire as his top years were at Leigh. However, another famous 'biff' incident was when Wire played a touring Auckland team at Wilderspool. They had a winger, much taller, who niggled at Des all night, but never any one single incident that would attract the referee's wrath. Nonetheless, the ref must have noticed because, at the end of his tether, midway through the second half Des almost jumped to get the necessary height and floored the Kiwi with an outrageous headbutt, in full sight of ref and touch judge. The Kiwi was carried off, ref turned a blind eye as if to say 'he deserved it.''"

What a match. I remember that one. It just seemed to "kick-off" every 5 minutes. LEGALISED VIOLENCE for 80 minutes. That was the pre-curser to World War Three which happened a couple of months later.

I think the RL hierarchy only gave us that game against Aukland, after not giving us a match against the touring Aussies the year before, when our Premiership winning side WOULD have given them a game.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/4864-863FALH-msnicons.jpg
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?:icons077e_files/4864-863FALH-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Wirral Wire "I remember Dessie in his pomp, two things stick out for me.

He was playing for Leigh against us at Hilton Park in the 80's. If we won the game we won the laegue. Dessie had a nightmare dropped everything, bombed sitters. Then in the last minute under his own stick got a rubbish pass on his ankles caught it and went the length.
'"

The game in question was the Good Friday `81.... The Wire needed the win ,to win the Div 1 title. Attendance about the 10k mark on a sweltering Easter period.
Lasting memory was Shirley Hesford giving Dessie the outside and everyone thinking( wtfs he done that for), Dessie went under the sticks and Shirley was eating grass........ You ended up Runners up to Bratfurt Norvern.
Dessie ( similar to Woody) became a terrace hero to most clubs he played for, no quarter asked nor given.
Whilst playing for Leyth he scored some totally amazing tries/tackles which would have Eddie & Stevo creaming themselves, it`s great to hear that he was held in as high esteem to the Wire as he was to the Leythers. A top bloke as well. eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1948No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6771.jpg
"phil ford, he's a bit of a stepper replacing hugh wardell, in jumper no. 15 it's brian case oooh and he does a bit of a boogie gregory and gregory, sounds like a firm of solicitors put the glasses down he's under the black dot" Sounds of Sydney 1988.:6771.jpg

Although Hicks has been a good pro and a points machine for Wire, it could only be Des. The atmosphere generated whenever Des was involved, either in attack or defence, was very special. So what if he had butter-fingers, that just added to the excitement!!!

I'll always remember a night game at Knowsley Road where Des streaked in for 2 long range efforts, showing the young upstart Gary Connolly a clear pair of heels in the process!! There you go young pups,there was a time when we could beat Saints!!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16260
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: eddie gordo "Although Hicks has been a good pro and a points machine for Wire, it could only be Des. The atmosphere generated whenever Des was involved, either in attack or defence, was very special. So what if he had butter-fingers, that just added to the excitement!!!

I'll always remember a night game at Knowsley Road where Des streaked in for 2 long range efforts, showing the young upstart Gary Connolly a clear pair of heels in the process!! There you go young pups,there was a time when we could beat Saints!!!'"

I'll always remember a game at Wembley where Briers put an attacking kick up to the corner which was going into touch, Hicks used his Jedi skills to do a double somersault, pick it of the air and come back in bounds to ground it inside the line, then later on in the same game we were running it on the last, there was nothing on, Briers and Westwood were throwing it around like a hot potato and it came to Hicks with four Leeds men between him and the line, he did the foxtrot, Ali shuffle and moonwalk and skinned them all and completed his hat trick.

Hat-trick at Wembley even Dessie couldn't manage that one...

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1948No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6771.jpg
"phil ford, he's a bit of a stepper replacing hugh wardell, in jumper no. 15 it's brian case oooh and he does a bit of a boogie gregory and gregory, sounds like a firm of solicitors put the glasses down he's under the black dot" Sounds of Sydney 1988.:6771.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "I'll always remember a game at Wembley where Briers put an attacking kick up to the corner which was going into touch, Hicks used his Jedi skills to do a double somersault, pick it of the air and come back in bounds to ground it inside the line, then later on in the same game we were running it on the last, there was nothing on, Briers and Westwood were throwing it around like a hot potato and it came to Hicks with four Leeds men between him and the line, he did the foxtrot, Ali shuffle and moonwalk and skinned them all and completed his hat trick.

Hat-trick at Wembley even Dessie couldn't manage that one...'"

Look, if you're going to extol the virtues of Hicks at least get it right.......... it was the quickstep not the foxtrot. eusa_naughty.gif B-, must try harder!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman33727No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1034_1335734906.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1034.jpg

On a side note about Des Drummond, I remembered this morning of the impact the fella must have had. I was in a pub near Stamford Bridge a couple of years ago when I was watching Bolton away to Chelsea and they had the NRL on the big screen so I was watching that and got talking to a Chelsea fan who was over from Australia for the game and got talking about the rugby. He asked who I followed and upon replying Leigh, the first words he said were "Dessie Drummond"! When the Aussies know him, you know you've done well.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8018No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49863_1309431041.jpg
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49863.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "I'll always remember a game at Wembley where Briers put an attacking kick up to the corner which was going into touch, Hicks used his Jedi skills to do a double somersault, pick it of the air and come back in bounds to ground it inside the line, then later on in the same game we were running it on the last, there was nothing on, Briers and Westwood were throwing it around like a hot potato and it came to Hicks with four Leeds men between him and the line, he did the foxtrot, Ali shuffle and moonwalk and skinned them all and completed his hat trick.

Hat-trick at Wembley even Dessie couldn't manage that one...'"

Don't want to derail thread, Sal, but this is why I'm gutted about Hicks' "retirement" in favour of JMonaghan.

back to thread now...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1926No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15782.jpg
:15782.jpg

Quote: Asgardian13 "We never saw the absolute best of Dessie at the Wire as his top years were at Leigh. However, another famous 'biff' incident was when Wire played a touring Auckland team at Wilderspool. They had a winger, much taller, who niggled at Des all night, but never any one single incident that would attract the referee's wrath. Nonetheless, the ref must have noticed because, at the end of his tether, midway through the second half Des almost jumped to get the necessary height and floored the Kiwi with an outrageous headbutt, in full sight of ref and touch judge. The Kiwi was carried off, ref turned a blind eye as if to say 'he deserved it.''"
Was going to post that memory of Des until i came across it.I was stood about 5 yards from where they were both getting a telling off then all of a sudden i'm watching the Auckland player holding his nose with blood pouring out.Hardest player for his size i've ever seen.Des wins hands down for me but Hicksy has done his status at this club no harm with his great try scoring record.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3545.jpg
:3545.jpg

You lot only saw Dessie after his shattered ankle, misset in Cumbria and re-broken by doctors to allow it to heal.

Hicks isn't remotely close to Dessie.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3084No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68310_1347387017.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68310.jpeg

Dessie for me, not only a great RL winger but a sensational all round athlete including a black-belt in judo.

His broken field running was incredible, and you just don't see players, especially wingers like that athletic ability any more and the games worse for it. I vaguely remember his debut (I'm pretty sure) it was against Bradford @ wilderspool. Dessie had been in dispute with leigh and training on his own before he signed so there was some concern he wouldn't be match fit. Then we got him 1-on-1 with Phil Ford (no slouch himself) and Dessie absolutely mullerred him.

After he finished playing, Dessie was also landlord of a pub in moss side ........ which tells you as much about his toughness as you need to know.

Hicks was a fine player, and did things Dessie and many others couldn't but Dessie was one of the best in the world in his pomp and it was a priviledge to watch him. Like John Woods, we (and GB) didn't see his best but dear god, I count myself very lucky to have seen them both in the P&B - players like that are originals of the species.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2866
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Mummy duck is now thoroughly depressed. SHE was the one that was famous for losing five in a row........until the 2011 GF!!!!!:

Such a difficult choice but so easy to answer. As the game was when I started watching Dessy (watching him chase down Offiah and put him into the boards icon_biggrin.gif..) BUT the way the game is now, as a winger it would have to be Hicks

RankPostsTeam
International Star2454
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wembley71 "You lot only saw Dessie after his shattered ankle, misset in Cumbria and re-broken by doctors to allow it to heal.

Hicks isn't remotely close to Dessie.'"

Brave words those.
I've seen them both.
Dessie had an aura about him because he was soooo hard - and fast - but certain aspects of his game were a little suspect.
Chris was a try scoring machine and ultra safe.

They are two of the best wingers we've ever had along with Bevan(s).

Henare could have been up there to but blotted his copybook.
Forster has a very good record at wing too, as does Fa'afili (even though people crticized him for having ''walk-in'' tries).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8631No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12633_1312317224.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12633.jpg

Quote: morrisseyisawire "Dessie for me, not only a great RL winger but a sensational all round athlete including a black-belt in judo.

His broken field running was incredible, and you just don't see players, especially wingers like that athletic ability any more and the games worse for it. I vaguely remember his debut (I'm pretty sure) it was against Bradford @ wilderspool. Dessie had been in dispute with leigh and training on his own before he signed so there was some concern he wouldn't be match fit. Then we got him 1-on-1 with Phil Ford (no slouch himself) and Dessie absolutely mullerred him.

After he finished playing, Dessie was also landlord of a pub in moss side ........ which tells you as much about his toughness as you need to know.

Hicks was a fine player, and did things Dessie and many others couldn't but Dessie was one of the best in the world in his pomp and it was a priviledge to watch him. Like John Woods, we (and GB) didn't see his best but dear god, I count myself very lucky to have seen them both in the P&B - players like that are originals of the species.'"

couldnt agree more...only met the fellow once and was a very nice and well mannered bloke who had time to chat..one of my all time favourite players..totally agree about john woods as well...and it was bradford dessies debut the week after the same bradford team dumped us out of the cup here at wilderspool

RankPostsTeam
International Star2855
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51993_1287564868.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51993.jpg

Definitely Des Drummond for me. Hicks, brilliant at times and at his very best in his last game for the club. But I think Des was just so dangerous and exciting.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member354No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Dessie every time for me. The thing people don't factor into this debate is that the players were still part-time. If Dessie had been a full time pro I've no doubts things like being better under a high ball etc. would have been coached in a full time pro environment. His attitude was always spot on and kept himself fit etc. and seems to be a nice bloke off it so would have fitted well into a full time set up.

Great to see that YouTube clip - I also found the coverage of the 1st ever match (New Years Day 30 years ago) I went to via that which was pretty cool.

Phil Ford was another great winger we had.

46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.03271484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
10m
Film game
Boss Hog
10m