FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > attendances falling!
74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13893
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26249_1542017975.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26249.jpg

Quote: Fantastic Mr Catpiss "would you classify rugby(sport) as a service?

entertainment 'industry' surely.'"

OK we can use the word "offering" instead of product/service.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8624No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12633_1312317224.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12633.jpg

Quote: Winslade's Offload "Sorry GO but you are burying your head in the sand on this one IMO. After discussing it, reading endless numbers of posts, chatting with people at matches etc etc it looks as though there are a number of reasons why attendances are falling;

Thursday night matches.
No real wage increases.
Quality of the product on offer.
League games seen as irrelevant after Leeds win it from 5th twice.

You can add to that the question of why have they fallen this year after a very successful world cup. Surely that should have at least arrested the decline ?

Next year at least the issue of the SL format will be addressed. Hopefully it will breathe a bit of life into what has become a pretty stale competition. And from being against the marquee player proposal, I am now coming around to the idea in order to bring a bit of quality into the game . But I don't see the 'Thursday night' / late changes of date problem going away, Sky pay
the money and call the tune, so I don't see that changing.'"

agree with all of that..but the real reason why not many people go to the hj for thursday night games is that they are all in the pubs or in the golden square or uci..

RankPostsTeam
International Star285
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sir adrian morley "agree with all of that..but the real reason why not many people go to the hj for thursday night games is that they are all in the pubs or in the golden square or uci..'"

What kind of Wire supporter would plan to go to any of these, bar the pub to watch it, on game day?! Disgraceful eusa_naughty.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5973
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66556.jpg

Quote: WazzaWire "What kind of Wire supporter would plan to go to any of these, bar the pub to watch it, on game day?! Disgraceful
There's plenty that would see the value in spending their ticket money as beer tokens and still get to see the Wire...but you know this WW

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach229No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

And how many games this season have been played on our traditional sunday. I think its just 4. If we play anyone outside the bottom 4 its on sky. Packing it in next year after over 40 years of buying a season ticket.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach784
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
White Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:White Backgrounds/Statler.gif

There were 5 Sunday games this year. I normally buy 3 season tickets, but next year I am only buying 1 as my family only made 6 games this year due to the rest being night matches.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4673No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Uncle Rico "There's plenty that would see the value in spending their ticket money as beer tokens and still get to see the Wire...but you know this WW'"

This is very true. Last week I was waiting for a bloke that I go to a few matches with at a pub near to the Pie Dome - as usual he was late. So I texted him, bought him a pint, and sat down at a table to wait. A few minutes later another guy sits down at my table and starts to talk to me. Since he was wearing a Wigan shirt and my brain was in top gear I said to him " so you are off to the match then ?" "Oh no, he said I am just waiting for my mum and brother and we will watch it in here. In fact you are sitting at the table we normally use". I was amazed - why would you come within half a mile of the ground and then watch it on the box. And I think the Pie Dome is a great stadium, you get superb views no matter where you are. Anyway, it made zero sense to me, but obviously if you have limited cash and like your beer it makes perfectly good sense because he then went on to tell me that the three of them always watched the match in the pub whenever they could.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3648
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50409_1268084441.jpg
Deus Dat Incrementum:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50409.jpg

Quote: Lost in Leeds "And how many games this season have been played on our traditional sunday. I think its just 4. If we play anyone outside the bottom 4 its on sky. Packing it in next year after over 40 years of buying a season ticket.'"

I've done a bit of (unrelated) research over the last year or so and it interested me how many games used to be played midweek. Also, Sunday games haven't been about all that long. I think the first was in the seventies? That heralded people saying spectators would go to hell.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3063No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33980_1323116328.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33980.jpg

If one of the reasons is "meaningless" games during the regular season, we'll see great attendances this weekend....yeah?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach229No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ganson's Optician "I've done a bit of (unrelated) research over the last year or so and it interested me how many games used to be played midweek. Also, Sunday games haven't been about all that long. I think the first was in the seventies? That heralded people saying spectators would go to hell.'"

Crowds were always small in the seventies. There was a fair few games in the week and the number of cup competitions was a factor as was winter weather, often causing teams to play twice a week regularly as fixtures piled up.

RankPostsTeam
International Star285
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Uncle Rico "There's plenty that would see the value in spending their ticket money as beer tokens and still get to see the Wire...but you know this WW'"

I know quite a few that would say "I'm trying to save a bit of money so I'm watching it in the pub", then see the same people in the pub after the game, p****d up and probably £30 poorer icon_biggrin.gifRUNK:

RankPostsTeam
International Star484
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif

Could it be that the game has become formulated and coached to the nth degree ? The constant kicking for *field position* the wrestling tactics ? Skills players learned as kids being coached out of them ? The game used to be all about kidology now it's all brute force and ignorance...I've not been to a single game this season, It's just boring. This is from an old fart who has watched the Wire since 1953 at every single ground in Rugby League...I follow the game on Sky but very rarely all the game, I switch over to something more interesting such as Changing Rooms...I couldn't be bothered if I never see a game again unless we return to the old values of the sport

RankPostsTeam
International Star3084No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68310_1347387017.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68310.jpeg

Quote: BrianBradyHandOff "Could it be that the game has become formulated and coached to the nth degree ? The constant kicking for *field position* the wrestling tactics ? Skills players learned as kids being coached out of them ? The game used to be all about kidology now it's all brute force and ignorance...I've not been to a single game this season, It's just boring. This is from an old fart who has watched the Wire since 1953 at every single ground in Rugby League...I follow the game on Sky but very rarely all the game, I switch over to something more interesting such as Changing Rooms...I couldn't be bothered if I never see a game again unless we return to the old values of the sport'"

Changing Rooms is bobbins. Bargain Hunt, now that's quality broadcasting. Tim Wonnacott is free to pop round to chez Morrissey to have a cup of tea, fruit scone and a listen to "Hatful of Hollow" any time.

As for the game, yes it's become a bit sterile, but I tune in to MOTD every week and stare at the self-proclaimed bastion of elite-sport that is the Premiership, and I never, [iever[/i consistently see drama, herculian effort and skill like you expect to see in Super League every week.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2900No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46584_1279360105.jpg
Warrington RLFC: The Wire, NOT Warrington Wolves FORZA WIRE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46584.jpg

It's no surprise seeing Ganson's Optician as the cheerleader for the sport on here, because he's a younger (I think) Warringtonian version of Rogue's Gallery - just an absolutely fanatical rugby league fan. Fair enough, there's nothing wrong with that, but it can be a bit of a blinding viewpoint because quite simply the vast majorty of people - even those who regularly attend matches - will not feel the same.

First of all, everywhere is NOT full on a Thursday night even in Manchester, Liverpool and the Trafford Centre (except in the build up to Christmas), nevermind in Warrington, so I've got no idea where that came from!

Secondly, you can't compare a Warrington match with a Liverpool match as has been attempted here. Yes, Liverpool played on Tuesday and yes a ground three times the size of the HJ was full. As an aside, tickets were priced from £46-59 (mine was £4icon_cool.gif and the opposition was a team no one had heard of until last month. However, if Anfield was bigger then there would have been thousands more there. Put Warrington in a similar situation with the same prices charged and Ganson's Optician would be the only person there! Big football clubs have a lot more fans than any RL club. Deal with it.

Thirdly, yes RL is good value compared to other sports, but that RWC Final at Twickenham will sell out at £150+ a ticket, and there will be thousands more who would go if they could get one but won't be able to. If the RLWC charged that for the final it wouldn't sell out Cantilever Park, nevermind a ground the size of Twickenham. Like it or not, the RWC is a far bigger event and is watched accordingly. Again, deal with it.

The concerns raised here by a few people who don't just think "It's worth it because we all know rugby league is the greatest game of all even if 99.9% of the world's population disagree" are valid concerns. RL is a small parochial sport primarily played (in this country) in largely working class towns. Clubs do not have a infinite fanbase, and if people feel £20 is a lot to get in and don't go every week then it is an issue that needs to be listened to. If people don't like too many games being played outside of the commonly recognised Sunday 3pm slot then that is an issue that needs to be listened to. If people think the product of Super League has gone downhill with less star players and truly great teams recently, then that is also a valid issue that will stop people coming. I acknowledge that isn't easily remedied without money though, and lower attendances are not going to improve that situation so it could be a vicious circle unfortunately.

The play offs are a constant issue (admittedly one which is being addressed from next year) firstly because season tickets aren't included, and because up to four extra games then come thick and fast. Let's say you are a parent who takes two kids to the game. To get into the South Stand on Saturday will cost you £29.50 with advance purchased tickets. If we go all the way to Old Trafford we will have two away games over the following fortnight at perhaps similar cost (plus travel) and then the final which might cost you around £30 each. To take your kids to those four games will cost you roughly £180 in tickets alone, plus any other expenses you may occur such as travel and food/drink.

Yes, that is good value compared to football and rugby union, but it is still a lot of money for someone to find if they're not on high wages.

If people start to think season tickets aren't worth buying because they won't be able to attend all games (I have been in this position personally for years now) then it exarcebates the problem and encourages people who pick and choose when they go. You can't just ignore these issues because other sports are more popular or you (wrongly) think the cinema is full that night.

RankPostsTeam
International Star285
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Pretty much spot on DM.

Another point, if you miss 2 or more games over the season the saving you make by buying a season ticket is gone anyway, and it's not like the games are selling out every week.

74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0107421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Wires71
4m
Leeds Rhinos - Away
Dave K.
7m