FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Question for the Saints fans that infest this board
54 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star27No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67039_1333020799.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67039.jpg

Quote: Back Row Singer "It doesn't work like that though does it?

At the start of the season, all the top sides aim to win the Grand Final. You never know what will happen the following year.
'"

You're spot on, it doesn't work like that. But I was just working on a theory of how knowledge before an event would produce a different opinion to after the event. As you said your opinion after losing lots of Grand Finals is to say that it shows real desire and bravery. Whereas had you known that you were going to lose lots of grand finals beforehand you would have probably thrown yourself under a bus or something. I honestly can't imagine anything more disappointing than that in RL sporting terms.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

This entire thread just smells of paranoia.

Don't worry, it's not over yet, but if you can't take the singing on the terraces, well I would certainly not try to over analyse each song on an internet forum.

Maybe you would also like to discuss the validity of the LMS song, or the ade gardner song, or the Roby song, or the Saints light up my senses song.

Or in the end you could just accept you have been hooked by some fans singing a song and it along with the loss has bothered you so much you have had to create a thread to vent your small frustrations.

If you are going to analyse any song light up my senses makes the least sense as hardly any of the featured points of the song are actually relevant any more.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator18777
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 199925 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4.jpg
Sian: Oh that's a very pretty plane, it's all pink and purply Thecko: And it says Wizz on it :shock: [url=http://www.myspace.com/thecko:1apcmlzd]-myspace-[/url:1apcmlzd] _ [url=http://www.thecko.co.uk/photos/:1apcmlzd]-Various Photos-[/url:1apcmlzd] _ [url=http://www.thecko.co.uk/blog/:1apcmlzd]-Blog-[/url:1apcmlzd] _ [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/registry.html/ref=w_h_em-si-html_viewall/202-2367638-0731855?id=HI88OEDMA7CN:1apcmlzd]amazon wishlist (go on, you know you wanna buy me stuff)[/url:1apcmlzd]:4.jpg

Administrator

I just saw the song as light hearted banter and made me chuckle a bit inside (I didn't dare profess amusement at the time since I almost got lynched by those around me for describing saints' opening try as "well worked" icon_lol.gif )

Edit: just to note, I thought it was amusing because it reminded me of making statements in March/April for many, many seasons of "oh well, there's always next year" icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3063No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33980_1323116328.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33980.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "Or in the end you could just accept you have been hooked by some fans singing a song and it along with the loss has bothered you so much you have had to create a thread to vent your small frustrations.'"

Jeez fella it's just a thread. Making out that it's any more than that is obviously your aim. Chill out and move on.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner369No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jdrocket "That's it. I can't find a solid argument for what they could be singing about. Nothing makes any sense and makes them sound deluded, pompous and/or stupid'"

Mate, if you can't work it out then you must be absolutely thick as.....
Let me explain seeing you're finding it so hard - every year going back well as long as i can remember we have warrington fans telling us how this year they've got the players, the coach, the squad - the time is right for it to be "their year". It's always the same - and it's always the same that you fail to reach the GF let alone win it. Really is one of the season highlights - warrington confidence followed by a few flat track blow outs - followed by failing to get to the big night and watching it on tv again!!! icon_lol.gif

Plus that chant has obviously touched a nerve - and that's because you know very well that there's more than a hint of truth behind it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51898_1347989911.png
"Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!" Matthew 4:19 Things I learned on 11/08/12 Gareth Hock can't pass Gareth Hock can't run Gareth Hock can't fight [url=http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby/view/256856/Gareth-Hock-relives-drugs-ban-hell/:22njixh9]I'm assured he can snort a line of coke the size of a Mecca dauber though.[/url:22njixh9]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51898.png

Quote: gladiator1 "Mate, if you can't work it out then you must be absolutely thick as.....
Let me explain seeing you're finding it so hard - every year going back well as long as i can remember we have warrington fans telling us how this year they've got the players, the coach, the squad - the time is right for it to be "their year". It's always the same - and it's always the same that you fail to reach the GF let alone win it. Really is one of the season highlights - warrington confidence followed by a few flat track blow outs - followed by failing to get to the big night and watching it on tv again!!!
So it is in reference to winning grand finals? well you haven't done that for 5 years. So, really, it seems that the chant would be better chanted at Sts fans.

It's always their year to go one step further and finally win the bloody thing. Every year you get through the playoffs and everyone says what Saints' chances are and then ever year they blow it!

Just admit the chant makes no sense coming from a team that have recently failed to win anything.

Wigan fans could get away with singing it, Leeds fans could really get away with singing it, Saints fans simply can't.

It's either about winning grand finals (something Saints haven't done since I was chasing girls in high school) or reaching Grand Finals (a very sad occasion where all Saints can celebrate of late is LOSING 5 on the bounce)

I would really like a clear definitive answer, as most people have just said some wishy washy thing about having the team or some obscure reference to Grand Finals.

This, seriously, isn't me fishing, what is the root of this chant? One sentence answers may help, as most Sts fans are confusing themselves.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

Quote: Paul Thexton "I just saw the song as light hearted banter and made me chuckle a bit inside (I didn't dare profess amusement at the time since I almost got lynched by those around me for describing saints' opening try as "well worked"
I'm with you on this, many a time i've had a strange look in the crowd, love the banter of some of the chants, thought it was funny.

A high-ish shot around the shoulders and our fans have gone mad
i say "nah shoulders that"
Or a well worked opposition try that i've praised or big hit or last ditch tackle by them.

Always look at a game like a ref and a neutral combined, just need to learn not to vocalise it icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5643
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17012_1369957324.jpg
[img:2s4u5nxg]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k305/The_flying_biscuit/sig2.jpg[/img:2s4u5nxg] 2009..........2010...........2011............2012..........2016..........2017:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17012.jpg

Quote: Sibbs Rhinos "Are you sure that's your real opinion, or are you just bitter you've never made the GF. It's funny how after you win something you're opinion will change. Much like I'm sure most Wire fans will only have defended the league leaders shield after they won it, but before it i doubt many of you will have voiced much of an opinion about it. You've pretty much contradicted yourself here.'"

I dont think Any Wire fans are BITTER about not Reaching a grand final. its not as if we have been harshly done by in the playoffs weve been fairly dumped out on every occassion.

We could be bitter about not being Champions in 1994 when we finished joint top on the same number of points as wigan and Bradford and were robbed of a Win against Wigan By referee Russel Smith. thats the only Bitterness a wire fan can have.

Personally I think a lot of the leeds Saints and Wigan Fans have some bitterness towards Warrington because we ARE one of the top clubs in the Superleague on and off the pitch.

but your right on the last point I have always maintained the WC challenge is a mickey mouse pre season friendly in which the Aussies dont care much for it. It has no real tradition in the game being played on and off for a few years before being invented again by sky TV just 12 years ago. basically its crap.

then again should we ever win it ........ eusa_think.gif eusa_think.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner369No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jdrocket "
This, seriously, isn't me fishing, what is the root of this chant? One sentence answers may help, as most Sts fans are confusing themselves.'"

hmm - not sure if you're deliberately stupid or what, but anyway here's your sentence....

It's an amusing dig at warrington fans always bigging themselves up like they do every year, and every year it ends in failure.

ok - got it???

It's not about saints - it's about you. Any team could sing it to you - actually maybe they should - lets have every team in the league laughing at you and your over-confidence. Even feckin widnes could sing it to you next week and it would still be funny..

RankPostsTeam
International Star58No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61582_1312990913.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61582.png

Quote: gladiator1 "hmm - not sure if you're deliberately stupid or what, but anyway here's your sentence....

It's an amusing dig at warrington fans always bigging themselves up like they do every year, and every year it ends in failure.

ok - got it???

It's not about saints - it's about you. Any team could sing it to you - actually maybe they should - lets have every team in the league laughing at you and your over-confidence. Even feckin widnes could sing it to you next week and it would still be funny..'"

Well, it has taken a while, but hopefully that will get through to our angry friend. I wouldn't bet on it mind.

Quote: gladiator1 "Every year you get through the playoffs and everyone says what Saints' chances are and then ever year they blow it!'"

This is my favourite part of it all. Coming from a Warrington fan, you just have to laugh icon_lol.gif
It really is, signature stuff.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51898_1347989911.png
"Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!" Matthew 4:19 Things I learned on 11/08/12 Gareth Hock can't pass Gareth Hock can't run Gareth Hock can't fight [url=http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby/view/256856/Gareth-Hock-relives-drugs-ban-hell/:22njixh9]I'm assured he can snort a line of coke the size of a Mecca dauber though.[/url:22njixh9]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51898.png

Quote: Back Row Singer "
This is my favourite part of it all. Coming from a Warrington fan, you just have to laugh
Pretty much spot on..... The amount of times I've been glared at by fellow Warrington fans because I dared to applaud the opposition for some good rugby is unbelievable.

Personally I thought the chant was funny, but then I also laughed the year we had Johns and Hull knocked us out of the play offs and their fans were singing "Joeys going home"

Lighten up people. Recent incidents in football should make us all realise it's only a game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2374No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44022.jpg
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting':44022.jpg

Anybody laughing at saints who have been in the last 6 grand finals is a complete cretin. It just shows their ability to consistently remain there or thereabouts at the business end of the season no matter what problems (see Kyle Eastmomd) they have during the regular rounds. Ok, so they have lost the last 5, big deal, if we had done the same our fans would be making sure everyone knew about it. I haven't bothered to read this entire thread thoroughly as it is embarrassing, but i am sure somebody said they would rather win the LLS again than get to the grand final, unbelievable!

RankPostsTeam
International Star3869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51898_1347989911.png

Quote: Moe syslak "Anybody laughing at saints who have been in the last 6 grand finals is a complete cretin. It just shows their ability to consistently remain there or thereabouts at the business end of the season no matter what problems (see Kyle Eastmomd) they have during the regular rounds. Ok, so they have lost the last 5, big deal, if we had done the same our fans would be making sure everyone knew about it. I haven't bothered to read this entire thread thoroughly as it is embarrassing, but i am sure somebody said they would rather win the LLS again than get to the grand final, unbelievable!'"

I don't think anyone is laughing at them and I don't know if anyone said that.

Someone said that they,a s a football fan, saw the work that goes into the LLS.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60223_1310112970.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60223.jpg

Quote: jdrocket "Today, I received a phone call off a St Helens supporter gleefully bragging about 'the new chant'. Apparently it goes something like 'it's always your year' or something. Could someone explain to me please.

I quizzed the person on the phone and they assured me it wasn't about winning trophies (Something Saints haven't done in 3 years- while Warrington are 3 in 3 in that respect) or winning Grand Finals (something Saints haven't done in almost 6 years)

So I was wondering, what is it?

It may be '[our] year' to beat Saints but we did that last year. Or it could be 'our year' to reach a Grand final; but why would Saints applaud 5 years of failure. I'm so confused.

This is a serious question!'"

I am finding it difficult to decide whether you are thick, stubborn, biased or a very good wind-up merchant. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say I'm guessing you are probably a mixture of the latter 3.

Now, 99% of the Warrington fans on here understand what the song meant and can see it as a humorous bit of banter. See Horatio Yed for example. He found it funny. You on the other hand have spectacularly spat your dummy out due the fact you lost, and by trying to dissect the song and ask for some sort of meaning, you are making yourself look very very silly.

However, to remove any doubt or confusion you may have, I will answer your question in a clear and simple way for you.

For the last few years, around January/February, certain sections of the media, and certain Warrington fans, claim that that particular year will be Warrington's year, in terms of being Champions. Not wining the cup, not finishing top, but winning the grand final and being champions. So that is what the line "its always your year" refers to. You still with me? Now, seeing as you are yet to win a grand final and be crowned Super League champions, the line "just like the last one" is a sarcastic reference to the fact that it has not yet been your year.

There is no reference to our own failings in recent Grand Finals, so your insistence on bringing this up is somewhat baffling.

I am fairly certain that even if you are a little bit thick, which I optimistically predicted you aren't in my opening sentence, then you will still be able to understand all of the above and you can now get on with the rest of your weekend a little happier.

I'm just glad that Warrington have fans who have a sense of humour and can take the song in question as a bit of banter, which I'm sure was the manner in which it was intended.

54 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
54 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.19873046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Whitehaven
jonh
13m
Hull KR H
MattyB
18m