Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Warrington Wolf "instigating the fight before hitting the turf.'"

I agree that Catalan are a dirty side, but you should probably watch the match again if you think this. Westwood threw the first punch.
And when Elima gave away the penalty for the flop/swinging arm, there was Westwood again, first one in. I don't really think it needed a reaction from him.
I'm a big fan of Westwood's, but I've been noticing more and more that he's often first one in throwing punches, when sometimes, that isn't needed. It's quite annoying to watch sometimes.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that he's the only one in Super League who does it, it's just something I've become increasingly aware of.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1068
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62369_1439829626.jpg
[color=#FFFF00:1d72a5qw]♫[/color:1d72a5qw][color=#0000FF:1d72a5qw]♫[/color:1d72a5qw] [b:1d72a5qw]Come on Wire, [size=80:1d72a5qw]come on Wire,[/size:1d72a5qw] [size=60:1d72a5qw]come on Wire,[/size:1d72a5qw] [size=40:1d72a5qw]Come on...[/size:1d72a5qw][/b:1d72a5qw] [color=#0000FF:1d72a5qw]♫[/color:1d72a5qw][color=#FFFF00:1d72a5qw]♫[/color:1d72a5qw] [quote="WidnesJohn":1d72a5qw] With us being the better side these days, we are licking our lips at inflicting more misery on Wire in the coming derby. I expect a fairly straight forward win.[/quote:1d72a5qw][b:1d72a5qw]Wire 44 - 6 Widnes[/b:1d72a5qw] Widnes Score Time: 74 Minutes 9 Seconds:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62369.jpg

I will agree that Bennie can be hot headed, and sometimes acts before he thinks. That said: name me one SL player who wouldn't rush in to drag an opponent off your team mate after they'd just watched that opponent swing into you team mate's face. Tell me that the Westwood and Webb incident wasn't waiting coming all game given the amount of 'attention' Bennie got; the nature of the game in general, and; how mouthy Webb was being throughout, especially after that 5-man hit up on Bennie.

Westwood swung first (if you can call that love tap a swing), and should be punished accordingly, but you need to view the incident in the context of the proceeding 71 minutes and the little altercation that took place in those 71 minutes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif
:15968.gif

Some hilarious comments here. Westwood was really reacting to eighty minutes of the Catalans team spoiling at the ruck and quite frankly I can't blame him.

Pity none of the 'impartials' noticed the stone cold red card Pryce should have got. Not deliberate my , typical cheap shot by a washed up poophouse. I suppose we should be thankful he wasn't carrying a glass or baseball bat.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2835No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif
To some greatness comes naturally In Smith we trust:Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif

I will have ll day that Westwood threw the first punch however, he never just walked up to a passing player and popped him in the fisog did he? The game went out of control with high shots and a shocking knee that should have also seen yellow at least. Webb thought he was Ali giving it the dance like a butterfly routine so to that end Phill Webbo & Jwarriors You go and watch the game again and take your fish & pie sunglasses off. Enjoy the season don't be bitter. P.S can't wait to see you both play them. I will be watching with my Primrose & blue glasses on.

RankPostsTeam
International Star290No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: phil webbo "As an impartial viewer FYI it was Westwood who instigated the fight you even hear the touch judge telling the ref, and I still remember his cynical elbow in the mouth of Tommy Gallagher knocking out teeth and stitches to his mouth, hardly the actions of a hard man, He can't hold a candle to the likes of Morley or Peacock, and your best man tonight was Silverwood.
1st try he took Cats back 14yds then a penalty for only retreating 10yds result try.
2nd try, if it was a knock on 25yds out why the scrum on the 10 after Riley put his foot out result try.
3rd try, millard stands up in the tackle, Riley walks forward and to his left of the mark result try.
All of these incidents were spotted by the commentators and commented on. No wonder Elima was a bit r'sed.'"

1. About four of them were actually within ten metres even if Silverdud did stand twelve back
2. The incident wasn't that far out
3. Both Millard and Henderson encroached Riley's ptb space. They tackled him then stepped into the space where he was tackled and Riley simply took advantage of that, why not eh?Henderson is a dog in the ruck - he deserved it.

Loads and loads of players do daft things. I'm not excusing that Gallagher incident but sometimes loads of players get a rush of blood to the head. Benny's probably had a few of them in his career but overall he's a tough and fair player.

Last season at Headingley Webb got Westwood in a front-on headlock and dropped to the floor. Could have really hurt him. Benny went walking after him but Webb ran off. Yesterday Webb (thinking he was Floyd Mayweather Jnr) did a fake half punch towards Benny after Henderson elbowed him so Benny walked after him and gave him a proper one, should have given Henderson one as well.

RankPostsTeam
International Star346No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68413_1349255018.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68413.jpg

Just rewatched the match (to clear some of the home crowd bias from my memory) and the one thing that sticks out is how many opportunities Silverwood had to do something about Catalans attempts to drag the game into the gutter yet didn't .... then looks surprised when players take matters into their own hands ......

Even in the pre match warm up last night, Catalan spent more time practising slowing play up in the tackle than they did on attacking breaks/passing interplay. Sadly, they are what they are - a washed up NRL outfit that uses every trick they can because they know they'd get shredded in any sort of open game.

The RFL's intention was to promote the game in France and bring through some of the Gallic flair seen in Union into our league ..... that's definitely not what I've seen for the last few years from them. Their handful of French players have been 'coached' into poor copies of the ponderous Aussie thugs that already litter their squad ....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2835No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif
To some greatness comes naturally In Smith we trust:Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif

Quote: BogBrushHead "Just rewatched the match (to clear some of the home crowd bias from my memory) and the one thing that sticks out is how many opportunities Silverwood had to do something about Catalans attempts to drag the game into the gutter yet didn't .... then looks surprised when players take matters into their own hands ......

Even in the pre match warm up last night, Catalan spent more time practising slowing play up in the tackle than they did on attacking breaks/passing interplay. Sadly, they are what they are - a washed up NRL outfit that uses every trick they can because they know they'd get shredded in any sort of open game.

The RFL's intention was to promote the game in France and bring through some of the Gallic flair seen in Union into our league ..... that's definitely not what I've seen for the last few years from them. Their handful of French players have been 'coached' into poor copies of the ponderous Aussie thugs that already litter their squad ....'"

Great synopsis of Catalans and Silverwoods lack of control last night. Whilst Westwood was guilty of fighting, who wouldn't have done what Westwood did on a rugby field after the provocation? Catalans are a big team and will cause teams problems.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4677No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BogBrushHead "Just rewatched the match (to clear some of the home crowd bias from my memory) and the one thing that sticks out is how many opportunities Silverwood had to do something about Catalans attempts to drag the game into the gutter yet didn't .... then looks surprised when players take matters into their own hands ......

The RFL's intention was to promote the game in France and bring through some of the Gallic flair seen in Union into our league ..... that's definitely not what I've seen for the last few years from them. Their handful of French players have been 'coached' into poor copies of the ponderous Aussie thugs that already litter their squad ....'"

I think you make some very good points here, as did Teeside earlier. If you look at the game as a RL rather than Wire fan, you would have to say that Silverwood was responsible for allowing the game to get out of control, both through the 'lying on' during tackles, then then dirty tactics from Cats. He is the man in the middle, he could have taken charge and prevented the inevitable outcome.

But more worryingly are the points made above about Cats approach to the game and tactics. As noted above, they are a team more interested in a physical encounter than in playing rugby. If they don't get their way (as last night), then they resort to dirty play. Or should I say, more overt dirty play, because the likes of Henderson, Elima and Webb are just cynical professionals looking to make money from the game. And of course it is now feeding through to their younger players, who presumably copy their approach.

Depressing.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39612
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I was amazed the referee didn't spot the bottle opening attempt totaled Ben's head off by duport just before the fight went off, everyone in the crowd saw how shocking it was.

oh and if you watch it again, Webb starts it all non in the first ten minutes, punching anelbowing westwood in the head like a mard after being tackled.

I like the way Catalans have played since joining superleague but now it's gone past being physical and I can't see anyone having sympathy with their claims of being treated unfairly in terms of discipline.

I just thank god Sa isn't playing for them any more

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member19907No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1883.jpg
Didn't William Webb Ellis pick up the ball and run, someone should really tell Rugby Union. www.squadbuilder.co.uk:1883.jpg

It is going to be a long season, if the next twenty-odd rounds are going to be officiated like the past three.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3084No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68310_1347387017.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68310.jpeg

Westwood was targeted all night for some very, very heavy attention some of it legal, some very borderline and some tantamount to assault. One week after they got a suspension for foul and dangerous play from the Salford game, they'll be lucky to escape with just one from last night.

I admit, until last night, I've always had a soft spot for Catalan. Of all the expansionist areas they've embraced the opportunity best, they have the chance (and desire) to expand the game, they give the game credibility by getting away from the M62 corridor but ........... jeez they've got a collective chip on their shoulders. Worse still, this "us-against-the-world" mentality seems to have morphed into cynical, illegal, unpleasant play, ref-baiting and badly misplaced aggression.

RankPostsTeam
International Star89No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51395_1275139733.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51395.jpg

Westwood did well to keep his composure for 71 minutes, that little house Brent Webb was niggling away at him from the first minute.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member19907No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1883.jpg
Didn't William Webb Ellis pick up the ball and run, someone should really tell Rugby Union. www.squadbuilder.co.uk:1883.jpg

When you see someone like Chris Hill losing his rag, you know it is a poor game.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4677No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Never mind, after two very hard games, at least we have an easy one next week (cough )

56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.197265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
New Players
Deadcowboys1
19m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
ComeOnYouUll
Recent