FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Where do we go from here?
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: Dita's Slot Meter "I'm confused.

Many seem to think our squad is decent and our coach is failing to get the best from them. If so, then our recruitment is ok, isn't it?

If it's actually because of 'dismal recruitment' then maybe the coach isn't to blame?

Is it likely that the club is just generally mediocre right through to the core? Recruitment, coaching, mentality - We are just mediocre.
'"

This is a good point which often gets missed.

I think in general we overrate our squad. All those threads we have where people say its a selection headache for the coach, how does he fit everyone in because our squad is so good....its more like, we have a lot of good players who are around the same level. Good but not the stars our fans think they are, and wouldn't interest Wigan or Saints.

Price has had us beating a superior Saints side in some big games including at Wembley last year. The idea that we have this title-favourite squad which is being held back by the coach is overblown.

We are about where I thought we'd be at the start of the season, given our squad. I thought we would be around the fringes of the playoffs, have a chance of winning a trophy but not be first or second in line. If you could simulate the rest of the season 100 times in 100 parallel universes, I reckon about 8 to 13 of them would finish in Wire winning the Grand Final.

RankPostsTeam
International Star9840No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50850_1311263484.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50850.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "This is a good point which often gets missed.

I think in general we overrate our squad. All those threads we have where people say its a selection headache for the coach, how does he fit everyone in because our squad is so good....its more like, we have a lot of good players who are around the same level. Good but not the stars our fans think they are, and wouldn't interest Wigan or Saints.

Price has had us beating a superior Saints side in some big games including at Wembley last year. The idea that we have this title-favourite squad which is being held back by the coach is overblown.

We are about where I thought we'd be at the start of the season, given our squad. I thought we would be around the fringes of the playoffs, have a chance of winning a trophy but not be first or second in line. If you could simulate the rest of the season 100 times in 100 parallel universes, I reckon about 8 to 13 of them would finish in Wire winning the Grand Final.'"
We have a much better squad than Wigan, Leeds, Catalans and Salford and we’re behind four of them and the other team knocked us out the Challenge Cup.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: morrisseyisawire "I said it before and I reiterate, spending power is as much a curse as a blessing. Prudence, dilligence and objectivity have been lacking.

For every Chris Hill we've signed an Anthony England
For every Adrian Morley we've signed a Latu
For every Gareth Carbell we've signed an Asotasi
For every Lee Briers we've signed a Tyrone Roberts
For every Trent Waterhouse we've signed a Jason Clark

Every agent in the NRL will have us on speed dial and every washed up, has been, never was, never will be, pension seeking parasite will continue to eye us up with lascivious eyes.'"

If the ratio was one for one like this we'd be doing ok.

For every Lee Briers we've signed a Tyrone Roberts.....and a Scott Wilson, Adam Doyle, Kevin Walters, Matt Rodwell, Michael Sullivan....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1804No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40475_1464375362.jpg
[quote="TheWarringtonWolve69":1f93v5t6] Saints by 32 Regards (Formerly) King James[/quote:1f93v5t6]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40475.jpg

Quote: Lord Tony Smith "Our squad is decent. It’s littered with some really good players, one world class player in Daryl Clark and some very average & replaceable players. It certainly is one of the best squads in the league, (though that says more about the standard of SL than anything) but our recruitment has still been dismal. Both statements can be true.

As Mozza says for every Chris Hill there’s a Roy Asotasi/Anthony England. In the last five years I’d say we’ve made two good signings

Bryson Goodwin.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3084No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68310_1347387017.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68310.jpeg

Quote: sally cinnamon "If the ratio was one for one like this we'd be doing ok.

For every Lee Briers we've signed a Tyrone Roberts.....and a Scott Wilson, Adam Doyle, Kevin Walters, Matt Rodwell, Michael Sullivan....'"

Even Michael Monghan came as a scrum half, where he was pretty average until he switched to hooker. What if he'd been average there too? Was a slice of luck rather than good recruitment.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain168No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The Sergeant Wilson thread hit the nail exactly on the head. The fact that any of us is considering keeping Price after this season if he doesn’t deliver the win is evidence of that.

For me, Price has until the end of the season. We start looking for a new coach now, and we don’t need to be quiet about it. Let Price, the players and other teams know that we’re ready to start winning. If we drop out of reach of a playoff position the he goes on the final hooter. Fitzpatrick can go too - what’s he adding?

We aren’t taken seriously by other teams and other fans because we don’t take ourselves seriously. Some of the fans here are happy with the mediocrity because following a losing team must mean they’re more of a fan.

We need somebody who is going to EXPECT victory from his players. We’ve had teams good enough to win on numerous occasions but it’s been a decade of waiting. Time to try something new. We need a horrible ba$tard - that man is still Wane.

RankPostsTeam
International Star9840No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50850_1311263484.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50850.jpg

Quote: WireWireWire "Bryson Goodwin.'"

Yep, I’ll give you that one.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2757
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18243.jpg
Ettinghausen's gone ice skatin':18243.jpg

We signed Goodwin on the rebound. Leigh got their first.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2231No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Philth "You looked at the set plays Wigan set up last night and it's a 7 on 5, runner everywhere and everyone knowing their role. I lost count last night the number of times backs and forwards took a one up last night, only to try a change of direction 6 yards from the line, lose the momentum and fall into the arms of a wigan defenders like a loved up mills and boon character.

Where on earth are the attacking tactics? You can't say Widdop hasn't been great in his career, nor become poop over night. It must be down to the attacking coaching. For some reason we dont like set moves, we like off the cuff, but finals and wet weather footy ain't the place for it and the grand final is arguably both if these, every single year'"

Exactly mate, we seem to just score off errors and lucky plays/bounces/passes etc we don't often score from set plays or direct running.
Widdop in broken play is amazing, facing a set line he doesn't to have a clue what to do. So many times through the whole team we just pass to a player stood still, who then passes to a player stood still etc etc
I saw about 2 plays that looked practised plays and we made some big yards off them. More of that please.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach853No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I know this is tantamount to the satanic verses and I expect that I will need to go into hiding shortly.
I appreciate everything that Simon Moran has done for this club. The players that we have seen and the success that we have had I could not have imagined when there were sit in protests and supporters throwing their season tickets on the pitch.
I do think that Simon Moran is too accessible to the players. When Matty Russell signed I found it odd in an interview that Russell said he had spoken to Moran about the direction of the club which I found a bit odd. If I had heard that from Cameron Smith I would have got it but Matty Russell? I get the impression that he is almost mates with them and that would certainly explain Briers and Westwood being able to secure jobs at the club.
I might be wide of the mark here but I also get the impression that SJM also likes to play football manager (for those old enough to remember the ZX SPECTRUM). From the Andrew John's signing through to Greg Inglis and the reported courting of Cooper Cronk, Even though they are fantastic players it is not how you build a winning mentality and culture.
When I look at Wellens or Radlinski I don't reckon they got a job in their respective clubs because they are a good laugh after a few pints. It is because they are winners and demand success and professionalism. I am sure they are decent blokes
We all know that Westwood and Briers were not the best trainers.
I heard when TS took over that he looked at the wage bill and said wow, some of these players have not got a GF winners ring. Some of those players are still involved with the club in a coaching capacity and still don't have a GF ring

If SJM want to lift the SL trophy then I think he needs to look at his own involvement as well. If we do move in a different direction then maybe a new coach, CEO and new approach because what we have been doing isn't working. This is no criticism of Simon Moran because if Greg Inglis agent bumped into me at Lords and said that GI might fancy a go in SL of course I would be interested but maybe the wise thing to do would be to give the agent the head coaches phone number and say that the Head coach makes the decisions I suspect that happens the other way round.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8011No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49863_1309431041.jpg
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49863.jpg

Quote: Or thane "Exactly mate, we seem to just score off errors and lucky plays/bounces/passes etc we don't often score from set plays or direct running.
Widdop in broken play is amazing, facing a set line he doesn't to have a clue what to do. So many times through the whole team we just pass to a player stood still, who then passes to a player stood still etc etc
I saw about 2 plays that looked practised plays and we made some big yards off them. More of that please.'"

Many was the time last night, when Gelling, Currie, King (even Hughes) ran across our line looking for an offload, but we looked disinterested/unprepared.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4241
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8083.jpg
[b:1in27wd6][color=#4040FF:1in27wd6][size=100:1in27wd6]top flight since 1895[/size:1in27wd6][/color:1in27wd6][/b:1in27wd6]:8083.jpg

I remember during the period when we were putting big scores on most teams, we had dummy runners in every move. Teams literally had no clue how to stop us. I didn't see many dummy runners last night...plenty of offloads...but at the line you need to create some doubts in the defence ....we are too predictable.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

Quote: Oxford Exile "I remember during the period when we were putting big scores on most teams, we had dummy runners in every move. Teams literally had no clue how to stop us. I didn't see many dummy runners last night...plenty of offloads...but at the line you need to create some doubts in the defence ....we are too predictable.'"

We are the RL equivalent of Butch Wilkins. Only know how to move from side to side.

Said earlier in the week, our attacking line is far too shallow and so they are all static when receiving the ball - We must be a dream to defend against.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4253No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Oxford Exile "I remember during the period when we were putting big scores on most teams, we had dummy runners in every move. Teams literally had no clue how to stop us. I didn't see many dummy runners last night...plenty of offloads...but at the line you need to create some doubts in the defence ....we are too predictable.'"

Agree with what both you and LG are saying, we don't seem to able to break down opposition in their own 25.

Tony Smith has stated on many occasion that he didn't coach the attack, as he left it to the players. These repeated comments made me wonder who did, within the group of players we had, as they were rather good at it. This squad is competitive and has good ability, in comparison to the current top 4 in SL. But it could be great if we had attacking structures that got even the best defence on the back foot.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png

Quote: Deus Dat Incrementum "I know this is tantamount to the satanic verses and I expect that I will need to go into hiding shortly.
I appreciate everything that Simon Moran has done for this club. The players that we have seen and the success that we have had I could not have imagined when there were sit in protests and supporters throwing their season tickets on the pitch.
I do think that Simon Moran is too accessible to the players. When Matty Russell signed I found it odd in an interview that Russell said he had spoken to Moran about the direction of the club which I found a bit odd. If I had heard that from Cameron Smith I would have got it but Matty Russell? I get the impression that he is almost mates with them and that would certainly explain Briers and Westwood being able to secure jobs at the club.
I might be wide of the mark here but I also get the impression that SJM also likes to play football manager (for those old enough to remember the ZX SPECTRUM). From the Andrew John's signing through to Greg Inglis and the reported courting of Cooper Cronk, Even though they are fantastic players it is not how you build a winning mentality and culture.
When I look at Wellens or Radlinski I don't reckon they got a job in their respective clubs because they are a good laugh after a few pints. It is because they are winners and demand success and professionalism. I am sure they are decent blokes
We all know that Westwood and Briers were not the best trainers.
I heard when TS took over that he looked at the wage bill and said wow, some of these players have not got a GF winners ring. Some of those players are still involved with the club in a coaching capacity and still don't have a GF ring

If SJM want to lift the SL trophy then I think he needs to look at his own involvement as well. If we do move in a different direction then maybe a new coach, CEO and new approach because what we have been doing isn't working. This is no criticism of Simon Moran because if Greg Inglis agent bumped into me at Lords and said that GI might fancy a go in SL of course I would be interested but maybe the wise thing to do would be to give the agent the head coaches phone number and say that the Head coach makes the decisions I suspect that happens the other way round.'"

So the charge sheet against Simon Moran is:
- he speaks to his players about his plans for the direction of the club
- he plays football manager (although I don't get the reference to ZX Spectrum...FM has been mainly a PC game, Spectrum was stuff like Daley Thompson Decathlon icon_confused.gif )
- he has signed / targeted world class players
- Westwood and Briers cited as negative examples

As for coaches not having a Grand Final ring as a player, we had Jimmy Lowes but people didn't like him. Saints jettisoned Keiron Cunningham and brought in Justin Holbrook. Holbrook played a handful of first grade games in the NRL and was predominantly a back up. How would international players in the Saints roster be expected to respect him, after they've just had a legend like KC.

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.52880859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Whitehaven
Wollo-Wollo-
2m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
3m