FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Tony Smith is a discrace!
168 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19733.jpg

Quote: getdownmonkeyman "The very same Salford who featured the least of a all the SL teams?'"

I'm talking about 2008 in the National league.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19733.jpg

Quote: Asgardian13 "And what exactly was the make-up of the Welsh team against whom Tomkins was 'so impressive'?'"

Thats is irrelevent, Tomkins has produced some excellent performances in SL this years. he has earned his place on merit.

Myler has produced average performance, also he had not played since July! To say he deserves a place in the England line is ridiculous and offensive to the players that have produced good performances all season.

Corrupt to the core!!!!!!!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'd like to see them both continue to play at 6 & 7 personally.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach527No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
31206_1279011027.jpg
//www.xtaster.co.uk/projects/Fightstar/floods.gif:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_31206.jpg

I've failed to get drawn into this up until now...

Is it possible that Tony Smith views Myler as the future 7 for England, and is therefore starting to mould a team that will be centred around him for the world cup? In the same way, he see's him as pivotal to the warrington team for the years ahead, and maybe, just maybe he rates him more highly than Tomkins? Lest we forget, a certain Mr Briers was omitted from the GB setup for years due to his face not fitting in, and i think even the most blinkered of fans couldn't argue that he has been one of the most talented eligible half backs of the SL era. Tomkins may just have the same problem. No-one is saying he's crap, but i'd trust the setup to install the best thing for the team, no matter who that maybe. Maybe Sam is destined to live the with the "Briers Effect" unless he changes things? The fact that he is England coach and Wire coach, merely adds fuel to the favouritism fire that opposition teams all love to burn.
When it comes to club rugby, i will nail hatred on certain players during the season in a panto way. However, i sincerely back those very same players when they pull on my national shirt with all my enthusiasm regardless of who they play for. Farrell, Radlinski, McDermott, Sculthorpe, Goulding, Cowie, Peacock, all "hated" as club opposition, yet adored at International level. I suggest that some certain fans start doing the same, and help create a positive and successful feeling to our International setup, instead of bickering and squabbling because their starlet has been left out. Get behind the team lads and stand as one, at least 'til next February.... icon_twisted.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2244No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36832_1295298552.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36832.jpg

Quote: Timmy the Koi "I've failed to get drawn into this up until now...

Is it possible that Tony Smith views Myler as the future 7 for England, and is therefore starting to mould a team that will be centred around him for the world cup? In the same way, he see's him as pivotal to the warrington team for the years ahead, and maybe, just maybe he rates him more highly than Tomkins? Lest we forget, a certain Mr Briers was omitted from the GB setup for years due to his face not fitting in, and i think even the most blinkered of fans couldn't argue that he has been one of the most talented eligible half backs of the SL era. Tomkins may just have the same problem. No-one is saying he's crap, but i'd trust the setup to install the best thing for the team, no matter who that maybe. Maybe Sam is destined to live the with the "Briers Effect" unless he changes things? The fact that he is England coach and Wire coach, merely adds fuel to the favouritism fire that opposition teams all love to burn.
When it comes to club rugby, i will nail hatred on certain players during the season in a panto way. However, i sincerely back those very same players when they pull on my national shirt with all my enthusiasm regardless of who they play for. Farrell, Radlinski, McDermott, Sculthorpe, Goulding, Cowie, Peacock, all "hated" as club opposition, yet adored at International level. I suggest that some certain fans start doing the same, and help create a positive and successful feeling to our International setup, instead of bickering and squabbling because their starlet has been left out. Get behind the team lads and stand as one, at least 'til next February.... eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif at last common sense

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach649No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2013Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
37595.jpg
build it and they will come:37595.jpg

Quote: the original stevo "eusa_clap.gif
here.here. finally a true rugby league fan, my sentiments exactly. lets get behind the whole squad all 24 of them, not just the 17 during the game icon_cool.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif icon_biggrin.gifANCE:

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Timmy the Koi "I've failed to get drawn into this up until now...

When it comes to club rugby, i will nail hatred on certain players during the season in a panto way. However, i sincerely back those very same players when they pull on my national shirt with all my enthusiasm regardless of who they play for. Farrell, Radlinski, McDermott, Sculthorpe, Goulding, Cowie, Peacock, all "hated" as club opposition, yet adored at International level. I suggest that some certain fans start doing the same, and help create a positive and successful feeling to our International setup, instead of bickering and squabbling because their starlet has been left out. Get behind the team lads and stand as one, at least 'til next February....
Exactly what i've been trying to post, well said.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3726
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18764_1329753271.gif
Waiting for the 2021 RLWC:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18764.gif

Quote: deeHell "Thats is irrelevent, Tomkins has produced some excellent performances in SL this years. he has earned his place on merit.

Myler has produced average performance, also he had not played since July! To say he deserves a place in the England line is ridiculous and offensive to the players that have produced good performances all season.

Corrupt to the core!!!!!!!!'"

Have you any idea what '[icorrupt[/i' means? You should emigrate to Nevada and luxuriate in Area 51 consipracy theories. You are clearly a total buffoon.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Well said Tommy, exactly my sentiments.
There's no telling some people though

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach31955
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10005_1514558855.jpg
[img:3pn3rtgd]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1459266_10152888309818169_8576471687088230298_n.jpg?oh=8e86c9009966b41d1dba7d8926425bd2&oe=54E9FC55&__gda__=1423730284_8e5d25e64585e5ee2afba72701ddadb6[/img:3pn3rtgd]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10005.jpg

Quote: deeHell "Lets look at the facts. In 2008 Salford were featured on tv several times.'"

Shock horror, do you not think that was because the year before they were a Super League team and were relegated?

If they were still in Super League, they would not have featured much on TV as they did in the National Leagues.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: Steve Ella's Beard "Exactly what i've been trying to post, well said.'"

How can you agree with that SEB when he uses such ridiculous assertions asLest we forget, a certain Mr Briers was omitted from the GB setup for years due to his face not fitting in, and i think even the most blinkered of fans couldn't argue that he has been one of the most talented eligible half backs of the SL era. Tomkins may just have the same problem. '"

So he's equating a known disruptive element with, shall we say "questionable social preferences" to one of the most professional young players around. One who the aformentioned Mr Smith not only selected for the mid-season squad after only a handful of games, but also this squad in preference to more established stars... and actually played him in the previous International!?! Then he goes on to sayMaybe Sam is destined to live the with the "Briers Effect" unless he changes things? '"

So not only has he made something up for which he has absolutley nothing but speculation to go on, but he then goes on to suggest Tomkins needs to change this fabricated 'problem' before he should be picked..all in order to justify Myler's selection! You couldn't make it up....oh wait a minute, he just did! icon_rolleyes.gif

Surprised at you SEB!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "How can you agree with that SEB when he uses such ridiculous assertions asshould have been included in the GB setup for years, only that he wasn't and that Lee Briers has been a talented player - And i'm sorry that some of us may not want to hear it, and he may not have [iconsistently[/i delivered his potential, but it's daft to ty and pretend that Briers doesn't have [iability[/i because like him or not when he has delivered what he's capable of he's pulled off some stuff that only a good half can (it's a completely separate debate whether he should have done more given his natural talents or not) - I'm sorry but the lad can play when he gives it his all, there's no denying that in the same way there's no denying Bobby Goulding could play (again a whole separate debate around whether he should have done more).

Do I think Briers has been a fantastic player? No I don't but a lot of that is due to the fact he was born with enough natural talent to actually be one, and for whatever reason hasn't consistently delivered on it - he's had his moments though, in the CC semi final his kicking game for example was on a different class to ours, and i've been watching RL long enough to give credit where it's due no matter who somebody plays for or what I may or may not think of their character. For example, I can not like Long for his persona, but I've stood there and applauded the guy for some of his Rugby ability even when it's been on display so effectively against us (and no i'm not saying Long & Briers are comparable in the level they've achieved but the principle remains the same)

I personally read it as the point he was trying to get across is that sometimes for whatever reason a player won't get selected, even if at a given moment in time. Sam wasn't selected for the France game in my opinion purely for 'team fit' and in no way a reflection of his playing abilities (and i'm not defending TS there either, but having done a great deal of thinking about it i'm just mature enough not to imagine it was anything to do with some dislike of Sam). It's not impossible that Sam might never be an England regular regardless of how good he is (and I rate him massively), but simply because he might not 'fit' what the incumbent coach feels is a balanced side.

For me the whole Myler v Tomkins debate needs a line drawing under it and we all need to move on. I personally think the future for England is getting the most out of Sam, Myler, Kyle and quite probably Stefan Ratchford to, and finding a system that accommodates their differing and complimentary talents.

I'll give you an example, Darren Lockyer is without a doubt a better 5/8 than Brett Finch (nobody in their right mind could argue that) and has been better and done more than Benji Marshall, and Jonathan Thurston is a more naturally talented halfback than Cooper Cronk or Nathan Fien. However for the Storm the pairing of Finch + Cronk has been excellent, and the pairing of Marshall and Fien far outplayed Lockyer + Thurston in the game on Saturday.

Again please don't think i'm trying to make a case that the McGuire + Myler pairing was good against France, because quite clearly it didn't perform great (not imo due to Myler in this case, more due to McGuire who in turn I personally feel was affected by the selection of Sinfield and whatever instructions were given out to the 3) And I also know Sam far outperformed Myler in the Wales game (but I personally am not viewing that as a fair reflection of Mylers abilities due to lack of game time - yes I know that then opens up the whole should he have been selected or not in the first place debate).

Lets all put the sniping behind us, support the team that's been selected (you can continue to bag the coach later on icon_wink.gif ), and try and get on with it. The tournament was always going to be a bust without a settled squad that's played together anyway.

For a perfect example of how the experimenting and moving players around/selecting different ones to 'do a job' affects a team, watch the Aus v NZ game again and think about Trent Waterhouse at 2nd row (he's a lock) Anthony Watmough at lock (he's a 2nd row) Jarryd Hayne on the wing (dally M player of the year completely anonymous stuck writing postcards to his parents out on the right because hodges forgets he's there. If it hadn't been for some individual brilliance from Cam Smith (all English hookers, do me a favour and go watch what a real hooker is capable of) and Greg Inglis (all hail the 6'5 110kg monster who can actually pass and create like the best halfbacks here), then Aus would have gone down to NZ by messing around.

After this competition i'd like to see us move towards a Sam + Myler 6 & 7 partnership, Kyle moving into a FB or centre role, and players like Stefan Ratchford and Richard Owen breaking into the squad and competing for places.

Lets just all give it a rest

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "How can you agree with that SEB when he uses such ridiculous assertions as:

So he's equating a known disruptive element with, shall we say "questionable social preferences" to one of the most professional young players around. One who the aformentioned Mr Smith not only selected for the mid-season squad after only a handful of games, but also this squad in preference to more established stars... and actually played him in the previous International!?! Then he goes on to say:

So not only has he made something up for which he has absolutley nothing but speculation to go on, but he then goes on to suggest Tomkins needs to change this fabricated 'problem' before he should be picked..all in order to justify Myler's selection! You couldn't make it up....oh wait a minute, he just did!
See, at the time it was easier to just say good post well said (as I agreed with the sentiment), rather than write a text wall like I just have icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "How can you agree with that SEB when he uses such ridiculous assertions as

Just wasted another 10 minutes of my life that could have been better spent in bed trawling through this dross looking for the "Return of SEB" only to find its an acronym for one of the Pie-Eating polluters currently squatting on this board.

Just to avoid futher confusion can the vermin please keep the use of their little pet names for each other for their own board.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39601
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Steve Ella's Beard "Because he didn't make a case that Briers should have been included in the GB setup for years, only that he wasn't and that Lee Briers has been a talented player - And i'm sorry that some of us may not want to hear it, and he may not have [iconsistently[/i delivered his potential, but it's daft to ty and pretend that Briers doesn't have [iability[/i because like him or not when he has delivered what he's capable of he's pulled off some stuff that only a good half can (it's a completely separate debate whether he should have done more given his natural talents or not) - I'm sorry but the lad can play when he gives it his all, there's no denying that in the same way there's no denying Bobby Goulding could play (again a whole separate debate around whether he should have done more).

Do I think Briers has been a fantastic player? No I don't but a lot of that is due to the fact he was born with enough natural talent to actually be one, and for whatever reason hasn't consistently delivered on it - he's had his moments though, in the CC semi final his kicking game for example was on a different class to ours, and i've been watching RL long enough to give credit where it's due no matter who somebody plays for or what I may or may not think of their character. For example, I can not like Long for his persona, but I've stood there and applauded the guy for some of his Rugby ability even when it's been on display so effectively against us (and no i'm not saying Long & Briers are comparable in the level they've achieved but the principle remains the same)

I personally read it as the point he was trying to get across is that sometimes for whatever reason a player won't get selected, even if at a given moment in time. Sam wasn't selected for the France game in my opinion purely for 'team fit' and in no way a reflection of his playing abilities (and i'm not defending TS there either, but having done a great deal of thinking about it i'm just mature enough not to imagine it was anything to do with some dislike of Sam). It's not impossible that Sam might never be an England regular regardless of how good he is (and I rate him massively), but simply because he might not 'fit' what the incumbent coach feels is a balanced side.

[sizeFor me the whole Myler v Tomkins debate needs a line drawing under it and we all need to move on[/size. I personally think the future for England is getting the most out of Sam, Myler, Kyle and quite probably Stefan Ratchford to, and finding a system that accommodates their differing and complimentary talents.

I'll give you an example, Darren Lockyer is without a doubt a better 5/8 than Brett Finch (nobody in their right mind could argue that) and has been better and done more than Benji Marshall, and Jonathan Thurston is a more naturally talented halfback than Cooper Cronk or Nathan Fien. However for the Storm the pairing of Finch + Cronk has been excellent, and the pairing of Marshall and Fien far outplayed Lockyer + Thurston in the game on Saturday.

Again please don't think i'm trying to make a case that the McGuire + Myler pairing was good against France, because quite clearly it didn't perform great (not imo due to Myler in this case, more due to McGuire who in turn I personally feel was affected by the selection of Sinfield and whatever instructions were given out to the 3) And I also know Sam far outperformed Myler in the Wales game (but I personally am not viewing that as a fair reflection of Mylers abilities due to lack of game time - yes I know that then opens up the whole should he have been selected or not in the first place debate).

Lets all put the sniping behind us, support the team that's been selected (you can continue to bag the coach later on
And on that point, we'll lock the thread to save going round in circles again and again, i'm sure we've got 6 other threads to do that on.

168 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
168 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.23046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Boss Hog
4m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
5m