FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Why the Wire?
40 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player268
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MorePlaymakersNeeded " We always enjoyed the 7.30 midweek games, as the Priory Street chippy was open after the game. '"

Was that at the ground end or the Causeway end? It's weird the things you remember, because I never remember going there. I do remember there was a newsagent/off-licence just near the ground and when we were about 13-14 if I went with my mates we would ask older fans to get us some cigs or cans, but we usually gave up after about half an hour of being told to get lost.

It was usually The Hut on Wash Lane, now Cantilever Chippie, after the game for us.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1114
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Humans, male/MALE9.JPG
Don't die with the music in you:Humans, male/MALE9.JPG

From about the age of 3 we lived on Burgess Avenue so could hear the cheering from our back garden on match days. I remember my dad taking me to A team games when I was little but only started going properly when me & a couple of mates would sneak in for free for the last 10 mins or so of games when they opened the gates.

Got me hooked and I was a season ticket holder for many years, did home & away and A team games too for a good few seasons.......my proudest moment was having my car number plate read out over the tannoy at half time in an A team game coz I was parked illegally!.....well, that and being in the same class at Boteler as a certain Paul Cullen.

Not lived in Warrington for over 25 years but still try to make every home game and am super excited to see GI in a Wire shirt.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7986No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49863_1309431041.jpg
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49863.jpg

Junior school gave away tickets in the late 70's. Straight away, I was hooked.
Then, in the early 80's, the family moved to the Wilderspool area, and our front door was a five minute walk to Fletcher St.
A year after that, John Bevan and Ken Kelly visited our school, and gave out leaflets for season tickets. Umpteen season tickets later (though none in the last decade), I'm still here..

I reckon I'm fairly balanced as a fan. I'll "blow smoke.....", when we're doing well, but I'll also criticise when needs be. No point being a doom merchant OR a happy clapper. You HAVE to take the rough with the smooth in this life.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4650No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Like a few others on here I was taken by my dad to watch the games at Wilderspool, normally after a bad week because I had been playing in the brook again and fallen in, or I had lost my clogs. I always considered it a punishment to get me out of the house so mother could get a bit of R & R. We would catch a bus to town then walk down Bridge St and across Bridge Foot. Dad always treated us to a seat in the old wooden stand so it wasn't until several years later that I became acquainted with the urine pools in the Fletcher end. I was very young and I can remember my first highlights of a rugby match to be the entrance of the gladiators coming out of the tannoy, watching the trains shunting up and down the line, and then St John's ambulance with their sheet at half time collecting and dodging the pennies and three pence bits being thrown by the half time crowd. After several 'punishment' trips I began to recognise individual Warrington players. Jack Fraser was the first from the tannoy, and I felt really sorry for Brian Bevan. I remember thinking he must be really poor because he looked like an old man and had more bandages wrapped around him than an Egyptian mummy, yet he still had to turn out to earn a few bob at the weekend. At some point, after I had learned to recognise all the players, I was hooked on rugby league..... unfortunately we moved to Southern Ireland just before I turned 11 and that put a stop to my rugby for a couple of years.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: davids "Was that at the ground end or the Causeway end? It's weird the things you remember, because I never remember going there. I do remember there was a newsagent/off-licence just near the ground and when we were about 13-14 if I went with my mates we would ask older fans to get us some cigs or cans, but we usually gave up after about half an hour of being told to get lost.

It was usually The Hut on Wash Lane, now Cantilever Chippie, after the game for us.'"

It was the ground end of Priory Street, and Marshall's was the name of the shop (who did a great trade on match day). There was nothing like a bag of hot chips to warm your hands on after a midweek game.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Winslade's Offload "Like a few others on here I was taken by my dad to watch the games at Wilderspool, normally after a bad week because I had been playing in the brook again and fallen in, or I had lost my clogs. I always considered it a punishment to get me out of the house so mother could get a bit of R & R. We would catch a bus to town then walk down Bridge St and across Bridge Foot. Dad always treated us to a seat in the old wooden stand so it wasn't until several years later that I became acquainted with the urine pools in the Fletcher end. I was very young and I can remember my first highlights of a rugby match to be the entrance of the gladiators coming out of the tannoy, watching the trains shunting up and down the line, and then St John's ambulance with their sheet at half time collecting and dodging the pennies and three pence bits being thrown by the half time crowd. After several 'punishment' trips I began to recognise individual Warrington players. Jack Fraser was the first from the tannoy, and I felt really sorry for Brian Bevan. I remember thinking he must be really poor because he looked like an old man and had more bandages wrapped around him than an Egyptian mummy, yet he still had to turn out to earn a few bob at the weekend. At some point, after I had learned to recognise all the players, I was hooked on rugby league..... unfortunately we moved to Southern Ireland just before I turned 11 and that put a stop to my rugby for a couple of years.'"

Done the falling in the brook on a few occasions, but had to laugh about your clogs reference. Did they float off down stream, or were they misplaced in a separate incident?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4650No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The clogs were a bit of an exaggeration. It was my gym pumps, lost somewhere in the changing rooms at Oakwood Ave after we had been in the assembly hall, listening to some weird music and "pretending to be a tree in a gentle breeze".

RankPostsTeam
International Star2788
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51993_1287564868.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51993.jpg

Dad took me along at an early age ... Fraser, Bevan, Challinor, Brindle. Gilfeddar to name but a few.
Went to Bevs final match vs. Leigh and was in the corner with my sister when he scored early on (we are both on the photo. which is often shown of that try). I do remember being allowed to run on the pitch (such was the excitement). We also stayed behind after the game when Bev came out to thank the crowd and we sang Waltzing Matilda.
We lived past Appleton Thorn and there wasn't much there then. I too remember the "Football Pink". If the result came through that we had won away there was not much doubt that the car would be revved up and we would be off to Stockton Heath (just over the swing bridge) and I would be sent in to get it and read it on the way home. A few days later I would cut out the report and stick it in the Wire scrap book.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17092
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

Quote: TF and the wire "Born and bred off Battersby Lane so no brainer. I have nothing but contempt for Warrington born supporters of Saints/Wigan/Widnes.
Regarding the Chester based supporters. I was once leaving Wigan after a game about 10 o clock on a Friday night. I think it was the one where Benny went over from short range through a gap in front of the Wire fans. On the main road out of Wigan we passed two lads with Wire shirts walking away from Wigan, I stopped and asked if they were OK, and they replied that they were heading to the station. I told them they were going the wrong way but to jump in and I would take them to Warrington. They told me that one was from Chester, the other from Flint, so I said I'd get them to Bank Quay so they could get the last Chester train of the night. As soon as I got on the sliproad, the traffic stopped, unannounced work was taking place on the M6. As I sat there watching the clock ticking, I realised that If they missed their train, I would be obliged to take them all the way home. Anyway we just made it back to Bank Quay as all the Wire fans were coming off the train that they should have caught so all ended well. Just surprised at having supporters out there.'"

There were/are a few Wire fans now from Wales, after the N Wales team at Wrexham went tits up. They started coming to watch Wire instead. Arsenal Al is pally with them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain101
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75698_1523696470.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75698.jpg

Dad played 24 games for the Wire back in the day and was born in Marsh Street...never really had the chance to be an avid fan growing up as we had moved to London by then: played kick and clap at school and university but always used to watch the RL on the BBC on Saturday afternoons and admired the skill compared to what I was playing. By the time I was more mobile after university I had moved out of the country so couldn't get to matches. Of the choice between Warrington, Halifax and Salford (my dad's teams), Wire was the only one, being dad's hometown club. Discovering family in Warrington a couple of years ago just cemented the conviction.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4231
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8083.jpg
[b:1in27wd6][color=#4040FF:1in27wd6][size=100:1in27wd6]top flight since 1895[/size:1in27wd6][/color:1in27wd6][/b:1in27wd6]:8083.jpg

Born in Warrington, grandads, dad and uncles all big Wire supporters so it was inevitable. First went to a game in the early 80's after moving back to Warrington from Chester. Think my first game was a tour match v the Kiwis. Held a season ticket for a few years from about 84 to 91. Then moved away to University and work in the South. Get back to games whenever I can..although the proliferation of mid-week games makes this harder. My own family (wife and two kids) are all Warrington supporters now as well. Poor buggers. Hoping to see us win the big one at some point in my lifetime!! Not much to ask is it?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain664No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I was not born in Warrington, my grandad Arthur Holt was born and bred in Warrington lived in meadow lane near just by longbarn lake, (the family would go to up to see my Nan and grandad, spent many a times walking around the lake, as a young lad it seemed massive, a few years ago I went back round there to see if it was still there, I was amazed how small it was and there was no fishermen on it, it was always packed years ago.) many memories of a lad in early teens was when rugby league was played in winter and remember my mum loved to watch her home town Warrington on the tv and by the end of the match you could hardly tell who was who due to the mud. The only player I remember was Kirk Sorrenson from Widnes. Anyway back to real time bout ten years ago living in Hatfield in a flat got in to rugby league watching on the tv. It was only natural to support the Wire. My first match I went to I took my mum to the challenge cup final against Huddersfield. The year after I went to a few games and met Yed, two years ago had a season ticket in the south stand. Hope to get a new one this year. It’s strange how you don’t realise what you missing to it’s gone same with most things in life, but have missed watching the wire massively over the last year. Can’t wait to be back in the South-stand.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain238
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Being from Derbyshire it was football or nothing, neither code of Rugby ever got a mention. I watched a lot of football but was getting disillusioned with the amount of cheating the players were doing on the pitch, diving especially. My job saw me arrive in Manchester and I had watched a few Challenge Cup matches on the BBC and thought I’d like to watch a live match to see what one is like. I went to Wilderspool for the first match of the season, and after going through the turnstiles had a strange feeling of being “at home”. I was hooked and didn’t miss a home game for the rest of the season and went to many of the away matches too. That first season – it was 2002, the season that still brings many Wire fans out in a cold sweat !

I didn’t know I had any links with Warrington until I started tracing the family tree a few years ago and find that only 4 generations above me was the Owen family from Croft and Winwick. I haven’t found any links yet, but I do wonder if members of my family used to stand on the terraces at Wilderspool, many years before I did.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3137
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36947_1265606585.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36947.jpg

Didn't really grow up watching the rugby as my Dad moved over to the UK from a place where they hardly play sport, but would watch on TV out of interest as I lived south of the town. My Grandad on my mum's side went to the famous Cup Final Replay, so when I was invited as a 16 year-old to watch us nearly win the league in '94 I became hooked. Hardly missed a home game for years then moved out of the UK for 9 years and had to watch from thousands of miles away. Been all over the world though so have been spreading the word about the Wire and RL in general! Moved back to UK few years ago, but I tend to work weekends which makes it difficult to attend matches, even though I only live about 25 miles away.

RankPostsTeam
International Star285
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: CW8 "Hometown club, my first game was with my class and we were taken as guests of Kevin Tamati who did some small coaching sessions at primary school. Pretty sure that was 1989.'"

Was it at Sankey Primary by any chance? This was also my first game, and I did the course with Kev Tamati. Not 100% but think it was against one of the Hull teams. Never really got into it after that as I was rubbish at rugby, and had no family supporting the Wire so it was a long time between games but ended up at the HJ circa 2007/8 with a free ticket off a mate and it kinda snowballed from there.

Quite a lot of Stains in my extended family so I could've turned to the dark side had I been given a shove earlier, but luckily I saw the light and I've been a season ticket holder for over 10 years now, wouldn't have it any other way. 2019 at Wembley was a special day icon_lol.gif

40 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
40 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.7216796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
2025 Recruitment
Clickin'knee
0m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
3m
Best Wigan Tour Team
Mark_P1973
14m
Jayden Okunbor
Blackandwhit
15m
Problems with this Site continued
SFW
44m
Rumours thread
Khlav Kalash
54m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
Recent
Salford - Away
LancashireRe
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Squad 2024
Ckt2487
53s
Jayden Okunbor
Blackandwhit
1m
Round 16 London Home
chapylad
1m
Salford - Away
LancashireRe
2m
Best Wigan Tour Team
Mark_P1973
2m
Olly Russell 4 year deal
Gazzagiant2
2m
Squad for Giants
Or thane
2m
Toulouse A
Benji13
3m
Betting 2024
karetaker
3m
Batley next
Kettykat
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Kettykat
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
chapylad
TODAY
Leeds
BigTime
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
Marcus's Bic
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
SFW
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Start@1873
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Best Wigan Tour Team
Mark_P1973
TODAY
Josh Bowden
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squad for Giants
Or thane
TODAY
Leigh h
Zig
TODAY
Meadows
BigTime
TODAY
July games
financialtim
TODAY
Salford - Away
LancashireRe
TODAY
Dons v Toulouse - Saturday 10 August 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Toulouse A
Benji13
TODAY
IMG scores
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Nathan Mason
MicktheGled
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
Builth Wells
TODAY
Half Time Report
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Dewsbury v Dons Sunday 7/7/24 3pm
Kick and cha
TODAY
Our next 2 meetings
H.G.S.A
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
Hull FC Get Second Win By Beat..
Super Salford First Half Slays..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,903 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
09:00
Cronulla
v
Gold Coast
11:00
Brisbane
v
Penrith
       Championship 2024-R14
19:30
Sheffield
v
Halifax
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
20:00
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Warrington
v
Huddersfield
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
06:00
Canterbury
v
NZ Warriors
08:30
Wests
v
Melbourne
10:35
NQL Cowboys
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:30
LeedsW
v
St.HelensW
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
WiganW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
15:00
Leeds
v
LondonB
17:30
Hull KR
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R14
18:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 7th Jul
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 5th Jul
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Huddersfield
SL
Wigan-Leigh
Sat 6th Jul
SL
Hull KR-Catalans
SL
Leeds-LondonB
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
L1 13 Oldham30-6Hunslet
L1 13 Workington18-37Keighley
NRL 17 St.George26-6Dolphins
NRL 17 Penrith6-16NQL Cowboys
NRL 17 Sydney40-6Wests
Sat 29th Jun
CH 13 Toulouse20-0Featherstone
CH 13 Doncaster18-8Swinton
NRL 17 NZ Warriors32-16Brisbane
NRL 17 Newcastle34-26Parramatta
NRL 17 Melbourne16-6Canberra
MINT2024 1 France M8-40England M
WINT2024 1 FRANCE W0-42ENGLAND W
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 14 403 164 239 24
St.Helens 15 423 162 261 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Warrington 15 358 213 145 20
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 15 274 270 4 16
Huddersfield 15 298 317 -19 12
Leigh 14 264 226 38 11
Castleford 15 238 429 -191 7
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 15 140 598 -458 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 13 354 217 137 20
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10