FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Time to change the Salary Cap?
60 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Moderator4650No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: danburge82 "Yes. Salford would spend money, which feeds money throughout the sport to all levels. Salford would sign Tomkins, Wigan would spend that money on Huddersfield's star, Huddersfield would spend that money on Castelford's star, Cas would spend that money on Featherstone's star, Feath would spend that money on Swinton's star, with that money Swinton can afford a new training ground changing rooms ... Plus we'd still be able to attract Aussies and prevent union from picking up all our talent (which if things stay as they are, they will do freely and frequently in five years time). There would be greater interest in Super League from bigger sponsors and possibly other backers putting money into other clubs. Plus other clubs would want to challenge Salford and emulate their success so would seek for further investment themselves.'"

I think you have to ask yourself why the Aussie game, which makes lots of money from TV rights and sponsorship still bothers to have a salary cap.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member19907No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1883.jpg
Didn't William Webb Ellis pick up the ball and run, someone should really tell Rugby Union. www.squadbuilder.co.uk:1883.jpg

The SC should be driven from the bottom up, not the top. It is all well and good stating a percentage of income, but that doesn't naturally flow to high income streams leading to increased affordabilty of expenditure.

RankPostsTeam
International Star387No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif

Maybe the solution is to find a way around the cap... oh wait a second ............... eusa_whistle.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16256
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

We bust the salary cap anyway, the only reason nobody is talking about that is because Leeds scored a couple of tries late on on Saturday.

If we had won you can be sure that the number one talking point in the rugby league community this week would be how can the Double Winning Warrington put together such a dominant side, with all the players they have, they must be over the cap.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4650No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sally cinnamon "We bust the salary cap anyway, the only reason nobody is talking about that is because Leeds scored a couple of tries late on on Saturday.

If we had won you can be sure that the number one talking point in the rugby league community this week would be how can the Double Winning Warrington put together such a dominant side, with all the players they have, they must be over the cap.'"

I hadn't thought about it like that. I am starting to feel better about Saturday already.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3726
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18764_1329753271.gif
Waiting for the 2021 RLWC:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18764.gif

Forget about it. The salary cap, for all its limitations, at least helps stop too many clubs overspending and going to the wall. You can talk to me all day about 'it didn't prevent the Bulls going bust', true, but without it you would have clubs like Wigan ( and probably Wire, though I'd like to think we'd be more sensible, given that Simon Moran never just threw money at the club ) simply buying all the best talent, inflating wages and making life impossible to the lower-income clubs unless they overspend.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2407
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's been at £1.65M for some time now.
My view is that a modest increase is justified - to say £1.8M.

Keeping the cap at £1.65M has encouraged clubs to develop home grown talent which is definately a good thing, but a slight increase wouldn't give cause for concern.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5433
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I always understood that the salary cap was to make the competition more competitive by stopping a massive gap opening up between the richer & poorer SL clubs. Talking about marketing, the RFL really does need to buck its ideas up & start acting like a business instead of an organisation with a working men's club like committee...we all know what happened to them.

What i would like to see though is Sky putting the game on freeview outside the normal RL viewing areas to try and bring the game to a wider audience & give others a chance to embrace the game as something they could enjoy. It shouldn't cost Sky anything to do this as it comes as part of a package that is paid for anyway.3 or better still 5 years on freeview could do wonders for RL ,even encouraging new supporters to attend live games throughout the season , maybe even a full to capacity Wembley.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16256
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Simon Moran should start lobbying the regulators like the banks do.

He could threaten that if the RFL doesn't raise the salary cap he could simply take his wealth elsewhere and buy an NRL club where he could spend a higher amount on players.

If you regulate wealth creators offshore then nobody gains.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50086_1357229109.jpg
[b:33tg3xj5]Me:[/b:33tg3xj5] I'm still reeling from the news that someone is considering watching the 1st and 3rd game on Saturday and NOT watching Warrington play. It's like being in Shea Stadium when the Beatles came to town and deciding to nip out for a fag. [b:33tg3xj5]knockersbumpMKII:[/b:33tg3xj5] Is it FOOK, you're good but you're not THAT good, jesus you wanky fans need to get over yourselves, Beatles at the Shea in '65 was a once in a lifetime opportunity for some (despite the following years performance), you can watch a very good team in primrose & yellow play every week if you really wanted to but comparing it to one of the very best music groups of all time in an iconic stadia such as the shea is overegging your importance, you're not even the best team in SL atm:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50086.jpg

There's a decent argument for bringing the cap down unless most of the clubs can spend up to it. The Bulls spent at the cap, or close to it, for many years and their business model was flawed. Word on the street is that other clubs are about to hit the wall. If the sport can't manage a cap of £1.65 million then it needs to come down. If that means players leave then so be it. It doesn't matter if Sam Tomkins goes to Rugby Union. What matters is that Wigan don't get into financial meltdown - they don't have any family silver to flog any more. Similarly with us - we have a valuable asset in our stadium that has lots of equity in it. The day we start using that equity to pay the bills is the day we're on our way down.

I recall the whining from Brynn Hargreaves when he quit RL. He basically said "I was treated like crap by the Administrator at Bradford" and "There's not stability in RL, I can get more financial security elsewhere". No argument with the first bit. As for the second bit - so what? Good for you. I also recall ex player and all round complete **** Bobbie Goulding trying to make a massive issue of it on Twitter and saying "the sport needs more money". Ditto the normally sensible Mathers and the less sane Stankevitch. How? Where? Who?

It really is dead simple....

- The sport as a whole can generate X income through crowds, TV and other sponsorship.
- Clubs need to be able to manage existing debt, their current expenditure and compete on their share of X.
- If they cannot, if they say, spend 10% more than X, then on a long enough time line, the sport will collapse.

We have two options - increase the money that comes in, or reduce the outgoings. Unless we increase the money that comes in, as a sport we must spend less. That might mean the cap goes down. IF the sport is awash with money then by all means increase the cap. Doubt it will raise standards - just means that average players will drive slightly better cars and retire with £6,000 saved up rather than £2,000.

Sports finance works to the same principles as individual. We all have jobs and the people from St Helens know people who do. If we spent more than our salary every month, then on a long enough time line, we'd lose everthing. Again, if the sport can stomach it then great. But it can't.

Very interesting debate though.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4650No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ian 77 Redux "There's a decent argument for bringing the cap down unless most of the clubs can spend up to it. The Bulls spent at the cap, or close to it, for many years and their business model was flawed. Word on the street is that other clubs are about to hit the wall. If the sport can't manage a cap of £1.65 million then it needs to come down. If that means players leave then so be it. It doesn't matter if Sam Tomkins goes to Rugby Union. What matters is that Wigan don't get into financial meltdown - they don't have any family silver to flog any more. Similarly with us - we have a valuable asset in our stadium that has lots of equity in it. The day we start using that equity to pay the bills is the day we're on our way down.

I recall the whining from Brynn Hargreaves when he quit RL. He basically said "I was treated like crap by the Administrator at Bradford" and "There's not stability in RL, I can get more financial security elsewhere". No argument with the first bit. As for the second bit - so what? Good for you. I also recall ex player and all round complete **** Bobbie Goulding trying to make a massive issue of it on Twitter and saying "the sport needs more money". Ditto the normally sensible Mathers and the less sane Stankevitch. How? Where? Who?

It really is dead simple....

- The sport as a whole can generate X income through crowds, TV and other sponsorship.
- Clubs need to be able to manage existing debt, their current expenditure and compete on their share of X.
- If they cannot, if they say, spend 10% more than X, then on a long enough time line, the sport will collapse.

We have two options - increase the money that comes in, or reduce the outgoings. Unless we increase the money that comes in, as a sport we must spend less. That might mean the cap goes down. IF the sport is awash with money then by all means increase the cap. Doubt it will raise standards - just means that average players will drive slightly better cars and retire with £6,000 saved up rather than £2,000.

Sports finance works to the same principles as individual. We all have jobs and the people from St Helens know people who do. If we spent more than our salary every month, then on a long enough time line, we'd lose everthing. Again, if the sport can stomach it then great. But it can't.

Very interesting debate though.'"

Sensible post again from Mr Redux. Existing clubs desperate to get the players to compete are currently spending up to the cap and going bust because they don't have the income.

So the directors of HKR get fed up of putting their hand in there pockets and get rid of their players, Salford and Cas ( who were not even up to the cap I believe ) have to sell players, and London - well, London is a joke business model. So the only way you could really raise the cap is by getting down to a league of 10. I would guess that would reduce to a group of 4-5 teams over time as the remaining clubs overspent, or their backers disappeared.

As Ian and a previous poster says, clubs need to be self sustaining, they must generate the income to pay for their players. The only alternative is for a wealthy backer to constantly sub the club, and that is a dangerous position to be in, it's not 'sustainable' .

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2900No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46584_1279360105.jpg
Warrington RLFC: The Wire, NOT Warrington Wolves FORZA WIRE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46584.jpg

My views on this are quite simple. The two most frustrated sets of supporters in rugby league at the moment are the supporters of Wigan and Warrington. The reason is that both sets probably feel their team should have won the last two Grand Finals but didn't.

Wigan fans are already seeing quality replaced with not quite as good for next season, and have by far the most wanted man in the game in their team and they're worried about losing him in the near future too. Warrington fans are seeing quality players age and are fearing they won't be replaced by the same standard in a year or two's time.

Both know their club has a bit of dough and could afford to spend above the cap IF their owners and board were prepared to, so feel held back.

That's fair enough, but eight Challenge Cups and seven league titles in a row tells it's own story about what happens when one club is allowed to freely outspend the rest. No one wants a return to those days - except very biased Wigan fans maybe!

Money is not necessarily the only factor in players moving anyway. Yes, the NRL salary cap increasing means less high calibre Aussies will be tempted over here, but for years people have complained about too many overseas players anyway. Forcing clubs to focus on youth development is not a bad progression. As for holding on to our own stars, well the fact is the NRL and RFU do have more to offer than we do, like it or not. Going to Australia gives players the chance to experience a different way of life, in better weather, in a part of the world where rugby league enjoys a far higher profile than it does here. Rugby union gives players the opportunity to try something new knowing that if they succeed they could be playing for England in front of over 70,000 people regularly, citing national hero Jason Robinson and current golden boy Chris Ashton as their inspiration.

That's before money even comes into it. Those opportunities will always appeal.

I don't like all the "rugby league will die unless..." scaremongering. In 117 years rugby league has never managed to get a real foothold outside the north, but it's still alive. For it to continue we need to give more clubs opportunity rather than marginalise them as the big get bigger by outspending. We need to stop Bradford type collapses happening again. If that means players go elsewhere for money or any other reason so be it, some will anyway. If Sky pulled the plug and the game went part time again though it will not die as long as there are still tens of thousands of people who want to play and watch it. Which there is. Primarily in the north, yes, but I don't see that as a major problem. So relax.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5433
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Aren't London moving back to Kent again next season & how come it didn't take off last time ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

Notice my title is change the salary cap though not scrap it, we need a means of making a club who can afford to spend a bit more being able to?

What about this for an idea, any club who spends x amount over the cap also has to but the same amount in to a kitty that's shared amongst clubs who can't.

So say if Wigan or Wire wanted to spend 1 million over, they'd also have to find another 1 million to put into a pot that's shared out amongst the likes of Salford and Cas.
This way rich clubs don't go flying out in front and the wealth is shared.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4650No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ninearches "Aren't London moving back to Kent again next season & how come it didn't take off last time ?'"

Last I heard they had changed their minds again and were staying put. Perhaps it was a threat to get a better deal on the ground rent.

I really havent the faintest why they don't get decent crowds, even when they were higher up the table they never really pulled in the punters. Perhaps the only way to get a club going down here is via a home grown club such as the Skolars or Stags at Hemel.

60 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
60 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.822265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
21m
Round 16 London Home
Emagdnim13
21m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
41m
TV Games - Not Hull
WIZEB
56m
Other Championship Clubs
REDWHITEANDB
Recent
Planning for next season
LeythIg
Recent
Batley Bulldogs H
Trojan Horse
Recent
Salford - Away
The games af
Recent
Leeds
the-bearded-
Recent
WHO IS NEXT
ArthurClues
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
51s
Accountability
Gazzagiant2
51s
WHO IS NEXT
ArthurClues
53s
email
orangeman
54s
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Yellow G
58s
Surely its all over now for Watson
Jo Jumbuck
1m
IMG scores
FIL
1m
Leigh h
apollosghost
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
WIZEB
2m
Other Championship Clubs
REDWHITEANDB
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Accountability
Gazzagiant2
TODAY
email
orangeman
TODAY
This site is crap
tad rhino
TODAY
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Start@1873
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
Emagdnim13
TODAY
Leeds
the-bearded-
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 3,042 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
 FT
Hover 
Canterbury
13-12
NZ Warriors
 FT
Hover 
Wests
28-40
Melbourne
 FT
Hover 
NQL Cowboys
20-22
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
 FT 
LeedsW
6-16
St.HelensW
 FT 
FeatherstoneW
0-50
WiganW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
 FT 
Leeds
17-16
LondonB
       Championship 2024-R14
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
17:30
Hull KR
v
Catalans
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 6th Jul
SL
Hull KR-Catalans
SL
Leeds17-16LondonB
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
20:00
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 6th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL
LIVE
Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL
LIVE
NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL
LIVE
Leeds17-16LondonB
WSL2024
LIVE
LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024
LIVE
FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10