FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > There's a shift in the balance of power (against us)
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

ABW.:

Quote: Fatbelly "This is a really good point. [sizeFrom a southern softie, who likes flat beer and Whelks[/size'"

......and who was brought up in Wigan.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1083No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2018Jun 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47185_1303243654.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47185.jpg

Quote: Horatio Yed "Last year we looked at our worst when Monas didn't play or was barely fit, this year if IF Monas comes in and plays to form we'll be better for it.'"

Thats what i think, really thought he was fantastic last year and said you wouldnt be the same without him.

What exactly is his injury?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: Fatbelly "A Wigan supporting work colleague last week asked me how I thought the season would pan out. I said that Wire & Wigan would contest both finals & Wigan would win well at Wembley and also win the G/F but by a much smaller margin.

I think our confidence has taken a dent this year, also last year, team's feared us but this year they respect us but don't fear us. Last year if we were 18 points in front like we were against Rovers then the opposing team would have given up expecting a loss but this season they still think we 'can' be beaten.

If we reach both finals & finish 2nd in the league then as a supporter I would consider it an improvement on last season.'"

But in reality that won't be an improvement, last year we were the best team in the league and this year we are not.

Last year after we lost that playoff to Leeds one of the worst things about it was the fear that with an ageing side we were a team that had a window of opportunity to win the Grand Final before a young and up and coming Wigan team overtook us and that last year might have been the best chance. This season is supporting that theory although we have by no means faded away, just the edge has come off us with signs that a few of our players are starting to decline, albeit slowly. Leeds were in this position a couple of years ago, we saw at Wembley the signs of rustiness in their once great team but they did rally for one last hurrah, probably like Chelsea have done in football this year in the Champions League when the league has shown they are in this position, so our best hope may be that the players sense it and in the big games they rise for one last herculean effort. Even for the guys like Hodgson, Morley who have won Grand Finals before down under, they will know that this is the last time in their careers that they are going to be playing for trophies.

I think it will take time for Saints, Leeds and Hull to rebuild to a point where they are challenging Wigan and I think Hudds will slip back when Brown leaves, and Catalans are good but not THAT good, so I think we may be entering a stage where Wigan take pole position and are the premier side in SL for the next two or three years, with us slipping back to a point of best of the rest but behind Wigan. This will especially be shown when Briers leaves as it will be very difficult to replace him, and who we get to fill his place will determine a lot.

That said I would not get too cocky if I was a Wigan fan as there are risks on the downside for them as well. They really need to re-sign Finch, if he leaves then Matty Smith is nowhere near the same calibre of replacement. I also think a Iestyn Harris situation is developing with Sam Tomkins where it's inevitable he will go to union in a year or so, probably the RFU will make their move in 2013 so they can have him in time for the 2015 World Cup, and Wigan will get a large transfer fee as he is still under contract. Wigan are good and have a lot of strength in depth of home grown talent but remove Finch and Tomkins and they will need to sign big (from Australia) to replace them, big as in get someone like Slater or Inglis to join.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1083No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2018Jun 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47185_1303243654.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47185.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon ". Wigan are good and have a lot of strength in depth of home grown talent but remove Finch and Tomkins and they will need to sign big (from Australia) to replace them, big as in get someone like Slater or Inglis to join.'"

Sorry Sally but signing big from Australia is almost impossible now, every club needs to build from Within to be successful, seeing players given a chance in SL must motivate every player in the U18's and U21's to do everything just to be selected for the senior side.

Losing Leuluai and finch next season would be a big blow, we would have others chomping at the bit though just for a chance, Losing too many is always a killer which worries me as Carmont, Lima, Fielden are gone or almost certain to go.

If Joel Tomkins comes back from Union next season, i think Sam wont be going anywhere apart from Maybe the NRL.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach928No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2013Feb 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41532_1330282221.jpg
[img:10gbfuq0]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54489/204/A08E999F4AAD54EE8F793C2F7868DF9D.png[/img:10gbfuq0]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41532.jpg

Quote: Re-wired "I'm afraid I have the same fear, Sal. On performances alone I think we are lucky to be where we are in the league, and unless we step up a few gears, I can see us starting to slip down the table. Hope I'm wrong.'"

No way atall we are second in the league and have won eleven games on luck!...

IMO were doing well this year, bit scratchy at times but im not worried atall, go look at the league table n chill....

icon_guitarist.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45658_1356296105.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1fnfdzuc]Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score. Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0[/color:1fnfdzuc] I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum. Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight! Esse quam videri.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45658.jpg

Just in reply to those doubting Wigan's ability to keep up this level of play. In 2010 we (Wigan) led from the beginning, maintaining that consistency all the way to our Grand Final victory. Just because Wire led from the beginning last year, looking very much the team to beat, only fall at the last hurdle. Doesn't suddenly mean that'll be the case with any subsequent teams that dominates the weekly rounds. Know one's placed to determine whether a team has peaked or not until season end.

RankPostsTeam
International Star346No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52529_1310328101.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52529.jpg

we have missed monas more than anything his speed around the ruck hope he is back soon

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5355
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Apr 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14942.jpg
Currently, I'm not Fat!:14942.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "But in reality that won't be an improvement, last year we were the best team in the league and this year we are not. '"

Last season we were by miles the better team, but as we painfully know Leeds were 'Crowned Best In Super League'.

If we reach 2 finals the that will be an improvement, I agree that improvement will not be in form but in the season outcome.

I agree what you say about the current top clubs and I still greatly fear Saints. They are the ones who this year could stop us reaching our 1st ever G/F.

But all this is early days in a season only 50% done. Wherever Saints, Leeds Giants & Catalans finish come round 27 they will greatly turn up the heat come the play-offs & we must match and better that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13890
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26249_1542017975.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26249.jpg

I'm relaxed at this stage of the season. 2nd place and not playing our best with key players out. I trust Smith. Wigan will not relish playing Warrington as they will a few more times this season no doubt.

That said last year was probably our best chance to win the SL, but that does not mean we cannot win it this year.

RankPostsTeam
International Star550No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52674_1285275725.jpg
[size=50:2fqgwsdo]"The mid-to-late 1980s and early-to-mid-1990s is the most successful period for the club to date, however, even without this glorious trophy laden period, Wigan would still have won more trophies than any other professional British rugby league club due to their successes throughout the club's history."[/size:2fqgwsdo]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52674.jpg

Call it a mirror image of last season. Wire were the best side by a country mile last season. Wigan had definately fallen behind them. This year, probably due to the reasons already mentioned on here - injury to M Monas (massive blow), King gone, Morley injured / not playing at same level. Whereas Wigan for whatever reason (Wane / Harris?) have improved players performances and recruited extremely well. Hansen, Goulding, McIllorum, Finch, Sam and Mossup have all improved on last season. Added to that Dudson, Flower, Luarki have been relatively successful recruits. Hock is benefitting from getting game time back under his belt. (When he is not suspended that is!)

I was worried about Hoffman going as he was a class act, however Hock, when he keeps his cool, has been sensational.

Joel left but was not missed as he played a full season out of position at centre anyway, where Goulding has come in and is putting them on a plate for Charnley, something Joel couldn't do.

What tickles me is that Wigan posters last year, knew deep down that Wire were better. Coming out with rubbish like, were not putting 50+ past teams like you are because we are conserving energy. What total rubbish. I don't hear them complaining about wasting energy after Friday nights performance. Alright you lost in the play offs, you didn't bottle it, you just didn't quite get the result against an inspired Leeds.

Fair play to Sally for the opening post. Still think that Wigan / Wire are the best 2 teams by a mile. There will be the odd upset and strange result but the only fixtures I have concern over ATM is you away in the league and the Wembley final should we both get there which would be a great game and worthy final.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4241
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8083.jpg
[b:1in27wd6][color=#4040FF:1in27wd6][size=100:1in27wd6]top flight since 1895[/size:1in27wd6][/color:1in27wd6][/b:1in27wd6]:8083.jpg

Quote: pondmonster "Call it a mirror image of last season. Wire were the best side by a country mile last season. Wigan had definately fallen behind them. This year, probably due to the reasons already mentioned on here - injury to M Monas (massive blow), King gone, Morley injured / not playing at same level. Whereas Wigan for whatever reason (Wane / Harris?) have improved players performances and recruited extremely well. Hansen, Goulding, McIllorum, Finch, Sam and Mossup have all improved on last season. Added to that Dudson, Flower, Luarki have been relatively successful recruits. Hock is benefitting from getting game time back under his belt. (When he is not suspended that is!)

I was worried about Hoffman going as he was a class act, however Hock, when he keeps his cool, has been sensational.

Joel left but was not missed as he played a full season out of position at centre anyway, where Goulding has come in and is putting them on a plate for Charnley, something Joel couldn't do.

What tickles me is that Wigan posters last year, knew deep down that Wire were better. Coming out with rubbish like, were not putting 50+ past teams like you are because we are conserving energy. What total rubbish. I don't hear them complaining about wasting energy after Friday nights performance. Alright you lost in the play offs, you didn't bottle it, you just didn't quite get the result against an inspired Leeds.

Fair play to Sally for the opening post. Still think that Wigan / Wire are the best 2 teams by a mile. There will be the odd upset and strange result but the only fixtures I have concern over ATM is you away in the league and the Wembley final should we both get there which would be a great game and worthy final.'"

good post

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sally cinnamon "Hopefully this is just me being paranoid as usual but I am worried at the moment that there has been a shift in the balance of power at the top, in that Wigan have stepped it up and gone ahead of us. We have a winning record against them in recent seasons, out of the last 20 games we've won 13 and they've won 7, so I'm usually confident against them but I fear that they have got it together and they are now the form side like we were last year when unfortunately we wasted it due to losing the CC quarter final and playoff to Leeds.

I thought Wigan would struggle without Maguire but under Shaun Wane they have kicked on a gear and look a very good unit even though I look at their squad man for man and I think we are better on paper.

I have a fear that we are going to get to Wembley against them and lose and then that fate might be repeated at Old Trafford as well which will not be an enjoyable experience. Even there I might be being presumptuous because I'm implicitly assuming than nobody like Hudds, Catalans, Saints etc will be an obstacle to us.

If you think of our key players last year, Briers, Morley, Michael Monaghan, King, Westwood, which ones of these are playing at that level or better this year (King is not even playing for us)? They have all gone down slightly this year. Looking on the positive side we are still only 3 points off the top and had we not lost by 1 point against KR last weekend we'd only be 1 point of the top so considering we have not had our big guns firing we have hung in there well and are still very much in the hunt. A few years back the Bulldogs won the NRL from a similar position where they were not quite the team they were a couple of years before but hung around near the top and nicked it from the Roosters at the Grand Final, so I am not counting us out.

Also there have been other good developments with young players coming through from our Academy and impressing, I feel positive about Ratchford joining and would be delighted to get Bateman, I think the signs are we are refreshing what had threatened to be an ageing side, so I am feeling confident that we will be one of the stronger teams in SL for the years ahead and there won't be a rapid slump.

But I have a nagging feeling now that we don't have the firepower we once did to blow sides away, and Wigan do. I've been struggling to think what is different with Wigan, I think it's a combination between a young squad maturing and getting better across the board and crucially Brett Finch having an injury free season and showing what he can do, he was a top halfback in the NRL and I think people underrated him when he came here first, he's for them as good as Briers was for us a year or so ago.

Does anybody else have this sneaking fear that we are now short of class when it comes to facing a confident Wigan side and are going to get taken by them in a big one....?'"

SL Season begins in September as both yourselves and us found out last season. Yes we have been as impressive as you were for all of last years rounds of SL. Talking to a few Wigan fans and its not what we are doing atm that's getting us excited its the age of the side. Looks like the side could be together for a long while apart from a few players that come and go. With so much cap space available for next season we could sign 1 or 2 quality players and kick on rather than mass changed which some teams will have to do sooner rather than later. Leeds are threatening that atm and your not even close to been in that state. So stop with the doom and gloom your a good side with great players.

We have got immensely lucky that MM and Goulding have become very good for us at the right time. But flash back a few months was near desperation on our board that Maguire was gone and we recruited Harris, Flower, Dudson and Lauaki and that's without the loss to the Giants on round 1.

There is a saying its better to be lucky than good when you get both its a blessing and we have had our fair share of luck virtually all decisions over the last year has turned out well. Joel leaving only for Goulding to be a much better centre for 1 and Hock has been the best second row in SL replacing Hoff. Whilst i have watched the best Wigan displays for a decade we all know nothing is won now and that come August-October there will be a lot to play for, for both Wire and us. Both sides are the best in SL and have been for a while but been the best counts for nothing if you win nothing. And we have won nothing so far.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3448
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2021Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22964_1381135683.jpg
[color=#FF0000:3ohiykr5][b:3ohiykr5]Wigan Warriors - 2017 World Club Champions[/b:3ohiykr5][/color:3ohiykr5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22964.jpg

Quote: pondmonster "Call it a mirror image of last season. Wire were the best side by a country mile last season. Wigan had definately fallen behind them. This year, probably due to the reasons already mentioned on here - injury to M Monas (massive blow), King gone, Morley injured / not playing at same level. Whereas Wigan for whatever reason (Wane / Harris?) have improved players performances and recruited extremely well. Hansen, Goulding, McIllorum, Finch, Sam and Mossup have all improved on last season. Added to that Dudson, Flower, Luarki have been relatively successful recruits. Hock is benefitting from getting game time back under his belt. (When he is not suspended that is!)

Fair play to Sally for the opening post. Still think that Wigan / Wire are the best 2 teams by a mile. There will be the odd upset and strange result but the only fixtures I have concern over ATM is you away in the league and the Wembley final should we both get there which would be a great game and worthy final.'"

Good points there.

For me, it boils down to the fact that Warrington are the 1 side I don't want to face in a final.

Yes, Wire aren't as good so far as they were last year in the weekly rounds, but as someone else has said, it really doesn't make a massive amount of difference. We're 1st and 2nd, we were 1st and 2nd this time last year and both in the Semi Finals of the CC as favourites.

I've got a horrible, horrible feeling it's Wigan and Wire in both finals this year just like the OP, and I don't think any of us would be massively confident of who would win them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

It's not doom and gloom, I'm not trying to unnecessarily write us down, I might even be overconfident because I have pretty much already banked in my head that we are going to Wembley, I expect most Wire fans have secretly as well, it will be a nasty shock if Hudds beat us.

I expect us to be a top 3 side for the foreseeable future. Wigan are in pole position to be the best team in the league for the next few years, as tank123 says the age of the side is in their favour. Wigan are like Leeds were in about 2004 and they went on to win five titles in the next eight years, but with one big difference. Although both squads were young overall the key players at Wigan are older than they were at Leeds. Sinfield, Burrow, McGuire were aged 20-24, with Senior probably another key player who was 27. With Wigan now most of their key players are in the age range 28-30, ie O'Loughlin, Finch, Hock, Leuluai, Richards, with Tomkins being the younger one at 23 but potentially not being long term because union will want him. I think Wigan are well set for a stable side for the future but they will need to do more of a rebuilding job to the core of the team than their fans let on to us when they are telling us we will fall by the wayside when Briers, Morley and Michael Monaghan retire.

IMO its about four or five key players (plus a coach) that really determine a top side, Saints have proved that, they have still got all those guys like Wellens, Meli, Gardner, Wilkin, Flannery, that were smashing everybody in the old days but they aren't scaring anybody now they don't have the core of Cunningham, Sculthorpe, Long, Graham and Pryce with them. We have known for a while that we are going to have to replace our core over the next 1-3 years and it will be a major issue for us but one cause for optimism this year is our core hasn't been firing on all cylinders this year and we have still done OK, so we're in better shape overall than I thought we might be last year when I thought we were really riding off the back of Monaghan and Briers class hence at the start of the season all my doom warnings that if we lost one of them for a significant part of the season we were done.

On Monaghan (M), I know this is a controversial opinion but I reckon he's the best player in Super League (yes above Roby, Tomkins and Briers) and this season he hasn't done much and then got injured. If he gets back fit and has a good final two months of the season that could be decisive and end up with us winning one or even two trophies. So although I'm concerned that Wigan are ahead of us I can see reasons for hope as well.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3448
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2021Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22964_1381135683.jpg
[color=#FF0000:3ohiykr5][b:3ohiykr5]Wigan Warriors - 2017 World Club Champions[/b:3ohiykr5][/color:3ohiykr5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22964.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "With Wigan now most of their key players are in the age range 28-30, ie O'Loughlin, Finch, Hock, Leuluai, Richards, with Tomkins being the younger one at 23 but potentially not being long term because union will want him. I think Wigan are well set for a stable side for the future but they will need to do more of a rebuilding job to the core of the team than their fans let on to us when they are telling us we will fall by the wayside when Briers, Morley and Michael Monaghan retire. '"

A very good point. I think the key to this is to manage the transition as well as possible, and our hand will be forced a little with the halfback situation this winter. The spine of the team has a nice age range - Sam is 23, as it stands Finch and Leuluai are 30 and 26, Mickey Mac is 24 and Lockers at 29 - this should allow us to stagger when they need replacing, but the halves sitaution for 2013 is anyone's guess at the moment. It certainly shouldn't be as drastic a change when we lost Radlinski, Lam, Newton and Farrell all within the space of a year or so.

Quote: sally cinnamon "On Monaghan (M), I know this is a controversial opinion but I reckon he's the best player in Super League (yes above Roby, Tomkins and Briers) and this season he hasn't done much and then got injured.'"

He's a brilliant player, and should have won MOS last year for me. It's heresy to even siggest this in some parts, but I'd have him over Roby without a second's hesitation.

49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.30517578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
17m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
17m