JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2015Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dita's Slot Meter "The main problem for Widnes, in the first year especially, is that they will have a squad made up of other side's cast-offs, and will inevitably be paying them above their worth in order to entice them to play for a 'promoted' side.

Take Jon Clarke for instance....He will be offered a 'peanuts' deal to stay at Wire (if he gets an offer at all)....He will then see what other offers are out there, and then along come the likes of Widnes, Salford and Crusaders trying to outdo each other with offers that are way above what Clarke actually is worth.....Clarke then, quite rightly, takes the best offer.

Use this type of example 9 or 10 times over, and Widnes will inevitably have a second rate squad for the first year back with the big boys.'"

I would be very surprised if Jon Clarke came to Widnes. We do have some good young players coming through. There is always a problem for a team coming through as the gap between SL and the championship to getting too big, with the quota rules and the vast difference in salary cap.

Steve O'Connor is shrewd businessman and will look at options very seriously, knowing full well that the first year in SL is a time of acclimatisation rather than a time for going for glory. Having said that I do not believe that Widnes will be at the bottom of SL in the first season. We are a well known and well respected club worldwide and I do think that there will be quite a few players ready and willing to play in the Black and White.

The Viking Stronghold initiative is a very good one which I think will be followed by a few clubs in the fullness of time.

On another note it is refreshing to see such sensible posts rather than the stupidity of Wonder Wire!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2497
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9651_1679059327.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9651.jpg

Quote: Old Viking "Most parts of the civilised world and even in some parts of Warrington, people who seriously follow the game are aware of the greater spending power of SL clubs due to the salary cap difference. If Warrington put a team together on a salary cap of £300,000 I would bet that they would only be average performers and the attendance would be less than that of Widnes.

I stress the attendance because I am sure that the fair weather supporters that watch Warrington presently will abandon their club if there is lack of success. I hope not, because I think good crowds is good for the game.

And, by the way, what is unusual about us losing to Leigh? The Leythers beat us every year!'"

It isn't just Leigh though is it ? Its pretty much everyone you play in your mickey mouse league. And you talk about fairweather supporters.... where's the 10k plus crowds you used to get in the 70's & 80's ? They only stopped going through the turnstiles because you got relegted and you weren't good enough.

As for the 300k...... its only the same as Halifax or Leigh spend, yet they win games and take you to the cleaners every time they play you. Its just a shame the RL were too spineless not to take on-the-field ability into account when awarding the franchise because Fax would have been the shoe-in.

I wouldn't get too obsessed by Sky's money or the salary cap. I'd be more worried about attracting the calibre of player to your club that will even make you competitive. Its going to be a huge embarrasment to our sport watching you get smashed week-in week-out by even the average teams in our league. Cringe'ing just thinking about it.

J20
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45011_1321315422.jpg
This isn't a sleeping giant, it's a giant! Denis Betts Nov 2010 Twitter: @JoeyViking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45011.jpg

Why how many finals have Leigh reached in the last few years?

You say we'd get smashed every week why would Leigh be any different, they'd still need signings & Fax bottom of table as it stands so same for them.

Would losing games be more embarrassing or would a club having a major injury cases and having to postpone SL fixtures as had no academy to fall back on be worse?

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

Quote: Old Viking "I would be very surprised if Jon Clarke came to Widnes. '"

Don't under-estimate Jon Clarke's relationship with Paul Cullen.... icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star2866
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Mummy duck is now thoroughly depressed. SHE was the one that was famous for losing five in a row........until the 2011 GF!!!!!:

I actually wonder how "interested" some of the Widnes players will be. They know they are going up. Some will likely know they will be out-the-door to make way for bigger signing. OK, they are supposed to be professionals, but with nothing really to play for, it makes you wonder.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons42da_files/5979-4369Kanaryali17-msnicons.gif
:icons42da_files/5979-4369Kanaryali17-msnicons.gif

Quote: mikej "I actually wonder how "interested" some of the Widnes players will be. They know they are going up. Some will likely know they will be out-the-door to make way for bigger signing. OK, they are supposed to be professionals, but with nothing really to play for, it makes you wonder.'"

On the other hand, you could take the view that they need to impress this season to get a championship contract with other teams next season

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3726
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18764_1329753271.gif
Waiting for the 2021 RLWC:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18764.gif

Quote: Paul2812 "I wouldn't get too obsessed by Sky's money or the salary cap. I'd be more worried about attracting the calibre of player to your club that will even make you competitive. Its going to be a huge embarrasment to our sport watching you get smashed week-in week-out by even the average teams in our league. Cringe'ing just thinking about it.'"

Castleford weren't 'smashed week-in, week-out' when they came back up a few years ago, were they? And Cas did not have nine months to strenghthen their squad. A few years down the road look where they are now. There may be a few berks on the Widnes board whose excitement at their SL license has them predicting World Club Challenges in twelve months, but most realise it will take time. With a full salary cap, there's no reason why Widnes cannot assemble a squad that can be competitive, at least. On top of that, SL is getting more 'evened-out' every year - how else could hapless HKR 'smash' Leeds yesterday?

RankPostsTeam
International Star287No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2015Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Paul2812 "It isn't just Leigh though is it ? Its pretty much everyone you play in your mickey mouse league. And you talk about fairweather supporters.... where's the 10k plus crowds you used to get in the 70's & 80's ? They only stopped going through the turnstiles because you got relegted and you weren't good enough.

As for the 300k...... its only the same as Halifax or Leigh spend, yet they win games and take you to the cleaners every time they play you. Its just a shame the RL were too spineless not to take on-the-field ability into account when awarding the franchise because Fax would have been the shoe-in.

I wouldn't get too obsessed by Sky's money or the salary cap. I'd be more worried about attracting the calibre of player to your club that will even make you competitive. Its going to be a huge embarrasment to our sport watching you get smashed week-in week-out by even the average teams in our league. Cringe'ing just thinking about it.'"

The demography of the town has changed since the 70's and 80's, as well as not getting into SL.

Halifax are currently bottom of the Division due to some players having left because they had the salary cap dispensation last year due to contractual obligations.

So you are going to watch us getting smashed next season --- you are privy to our potential signings, then?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1896No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36990.jpg
Dirty Old Town littlerich is a Viking!!:36990.jpg

Quote: Paul2812 "It isn't just Leigh though is it ? Its pretty much everyone you play in your mickey mouse league. And you talk about fairweather supporters.... where's the 10k plus crowds you used to get in the 70's & 80's ? They only stopped going through the turnstiles because you got relegted and you weren't good enough.

I wouldn't get too obsessed by Sky's money or the salary cap. I'd be more worried about attracting the calibre of player to your club that will even make you competitive. Its going to be a huge embarrasment to our sport watching you get smashed week-in week-out by even the average teams in our league. Cringe'ing just thinking about it.'"

This £300k thing is a misnomer from the off.

Fax, Barrow and the rest of the contenders for a SL spot spent their £300k on seasoned, good pro's with the aim of ticking the box - Fax & Barrow ticked the box but had no real academy back up or a consistent line of youngsters being introduced to the 1st team to prepare them for games at a higher level.

Widnes ticked the box while having a youth structure in place - one which proved as good as and more often than not better than most Superleague clubs last season.

Some of these youngsters were promoted to the 1st team squad and acquited themselves very well but ultimately if they are regularly playing against the older pro's then they will be taught a lesson or two along the way. It's called development.

Widnes spent/spend their £300k on a mixture of youth and experience and also invest heavily in the youth set up - a policy that will pay dividends in the long term. Other clubs spending their £300k on older pro's and decent players at Champonship level would have a more difficult job in building a competitive SL side as they will have pretty much no 1st teamers to take to SL and also no youth set up to provide sustainability in the longer term.

Widnes will not have to build from scratch whereas other clubs pretty much would have to.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50086_1357229109.jpg
[b:33tg3xj5]Me:[/b:33tg3xj5] I'm still reeling from the news that someone is considering watching the 1st and 3rd game on Saturday and NOT watching Warrington play. It's like being in Shea Stadium when the Beatles came to town and deciding to nip out for a fag. [b:33tg3xj5]knockersbumpMKII:[/b:33tg3xj5] Is it FOOK, you're good but you're not THAT good, jesus you wanky fans need to get over yourselves, Beatles at the Shea in '65 was a once in a lifetime opportunity for some (despite the following years performance), you can watch a very good team in primrose & yellow play every week if you really wanted to but comparing it to one of the very best music groups of all time in an iconic stadia such as the shea is overegging your importance, you're not even the best team in SL atm:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50086.jpg

Quote: Redchemic "

Widnes ticked the box while having a youth structure in place - one which proved as good as and more often than not better than most Superleague clubs last season.'"

How is that? Because it produced more players? What level are those players playing at now? Which SuperLeague clubs in particular are you talking about?

I'm not saying that widnes don't have a good youth structure but I've seen it posted a few times that it is some sort of wonderful example of the concept without anything to back it up. Until it starts producing SL quality players then you cannot sensibly compare it to SL clubs.

J20
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45011_1321315422.jpg
This isn't a sleeping giant, it's a giant! Denis Betts Nov 2010 Twitter: @JoeyViking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45011.jpg

Quote: Ian 77 Redux "How is that? Because it produced more players? What level are those players playing at now? Which SuperLeague clubs in particular are you talking about?

I'm not saying that widnes don't have a good youth structure but I've seen it posted a few times that it is some sort of wonderful example of the concept without anything to back it up. Until it starts producing SL quality players then you cannot sensibly compare it to SL clubs.'"

He mentions 'last season' which would infer on the pitch performances. Your right the key is bringing players through but the way the academy performs can't be completely overlooked too.

Also how do you define SL quality? Just a player in a SL squad playing say 5 games a year? Or someone who is actually a first teamers who makes a big contribution to the side? E.g. Is Lee Mitchell SL quality just because the club he came through at are in SL? Are the likes of Craven & Flynn at Widnes nit because they came through our academy?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1896No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36990.jpg
Dirty Old Town littlerich is a Viking!!:36990.jpg

Quote: Ian 77 Redux "How is that? Because it produced more players? What level are those players playing at now? Which SuperLeague clubs in particular are you talking about?

I'm not saying that widnes don't have a good youth structure but I've seen it posted a few times that it is some sort of wonderful example of the concept without anything to back it up. Until it starts producing SL quality players then you cannot sensibly compare it to SL clubs.'"

www.therfl.co.uk/matchday/results

The results in the link suggest that we are producing as good, if not better quality youngsters than Superleague clubs. You are right to suggest that the proof of the pudding is how far these kids go but as these results prove, we are punching above our weight in such exalted company.

It will take some time to see whether these youngsters make it in Superleague but that is what the structure is about - producing youngsters who will develop into SL standard players and the club have done it in such a way that these kids will be ready when Widnes are in SL.

That's pretty good structured development if you ask me.

P.S. Widnes have also produced Steve Nash who played for Salford in SL (admittedly now back in the championship), Adam Sidlow and a certain Richie Myler - not just SL quality but England quality icon_wink.gif .

www.therfl.co.uk/matchday/results

The results in the link suggest that we are producing as good, if not better quality youngsters than Superleague clubs. You are right to suggest that the proof of the pudding is how far these kids go but as these results prove, we are punching above our weight in such exalted company.

It will take some time to see whether these youngsters make it in Superleague but that is what the structure is about - producing youngsters who will develop into SL standard players and the club have done it in such a way that these kids will be ready when Widnes are in SL.

That's pretty good structured development if you ask me.

P.S. Widnes have also produced Steve Nash who played for Salford in SL (admittedly now back in the championship), Adam Sidlow and a certain Richie Myler - not just SL quality but England quality icon_wink.gif .

27 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
27 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.17529296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM