FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > 3 'Big Names' Wire should be looking at bringing in 2010
163 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Foz
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2119
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23106.gif
[img:2ei9yxz4]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/rugbychick/Metallica_Signaturesmallafterthat.gif[/img:2ei9yxz4] [quote="Les Boyd Is God":2ei9yxz4]well said foz..spot on[/quote:2ei9yxz4][quote="the tache is back":2ei9yxz4]spot on.[/quote:2ei9yxz4] [quote="exactlywhatitsaysonthetin":2ei9yxz4]You're dead right, I'll get my coat. :lol:[/quote:2ei9yxz4][quote="Hoofer":2ei9yxz4] I'm a Wiganer and I know my team were once the greatest in RL; sadly that's not the case any more. Some of us need to live in the now.[/quote:2ei9yxz4][quote="Alan Beswick on Wigan":2ei9yxz4] Come on, what's a few broken ligs if its gets us a cup[/quote:2ei9yxz4]:23106.gif

Quote: sally cinnamon "You can't use examples of bad signings at Warrington in the past as an argument that future signings will be as bad.'"

That's not what I was getting at.

It's already been proven time and time again that expensive Aussie signings are not 'quick-fixes'. Warrington have had a track record of bringing in big names that, regardless of how they play, stay for a handful of years then move on or retire.

Why do Saints do so well? I think a major factor is regardless of the small changes they make each season the core of the St. Helens squad stays the same. You have the veterans: Long, Cunningham, Wellens, Gardener and, until recently: Joynt, Newlove, Sculthorpe etc etc. Even with those players retired, and the oncoming retirement of Long, Cunningham, you can see Saints bringing through the replacements and the players that will continue the legacy: James Graham, Kyle Eastmond, Roby, Wilkin...
The Aussies that are brought in are to compliment the core team, not define it and that makes them sucessful. There is no pressure, they don't have the hopes of an entire club riding on them as, everyone knows, Saints will be sucessful even if one or two Aussie signings don't play up to standard. They are not just a team of players wearing the same shirt, they are a team in the truest sense of the word.

If you look at the positions of Saints core squad: scrum half, hooker, full back... That is what we should be doing. Developing our own players in key roles. That's why I don't think bringing in Aussies is the answer. We need to be developing our own talent in key positions and imports, if needed, should be brought in to compliment those players. We put far to much emphasis on imports and what they can do for us. It's not the answer.

As you've said Sally, we've not really had a huge amount of academy players setting the first team alight recently. Maybe then, in that case, we should be looking at the coaching set up across the board. I don't profess to be an expert on Warrington RLFC, I don't know who signs academy players, but maybe changes are needed there.

Rugbychick

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

I agree with you to an extent, the problem is that if the talent isn't there in the first place you can't develop it. There's always people saying that we don't give players a chance and if they got the chance they would develop, but we gave Hulse, Gaskell, Mark Gleeson and Bracek lots of first team games and they never got significantly better. The Saints players like Roby and Graham have real raw talent and can develop into top players, same goes for the Leeds ones. Paul Wood turned into a top player at Warrington but the others were limited by the limits on their ability.

There's a lot of infrastructure which has been put into our junior set up, and players get all sorts of supervision and coaching, but players are only going to be as good as their potential. Talent identification is the most important thing. The good news is that the club knew this and what you said at the end of your post, about the coaching set up needing looking at across the board, has already happened. Peter Farrell (Andy's Dad) joined us from St Helens a couple of years ago as head of talent identification, and at the end of last season John Bastian came in from Leeds as Director of Youth Development. We've signed two of the top people in the junior set ups of the two clubs whos youth systems we need to be emulating.

The benefits of this won't be clear for 2 or 3 seasons yet because of the age of the players they sign up, at the start of the year we announced five junior signings aged 16

Quote: There has been some massive improvement at the club in my time here so far. I think now we are going to kick on to another level. The improvement that I have seen is chalk and cheese really. We've moved forward year on year and I think that is important. We have corrected our mistakes, we're still not 100% but we are working to get there, we are about 2 years ahead at the moment to where I thought we would be. Let's not forget we're not a sexy club, for want of a better word, for youngsters to join. There is a perspective that we are a sleeping giant and we are never waking up but I think we are waking up now and youngsters are keen to join us. ""I feel now we've got the right mix with the scholarship, we've improved that year on year from a coaching point of view. We've got the final piece in the jigsaw now with John Bastian onboard. We are all aiming for one thing and that's to get the best team on the field for Warrington as quickly as possible."'"

[]
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6901No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: RED LEAGUE "Its ok having money fella's, but when you don’t know how to use it you’re never going to get anywhere.
Same old Warrington thinking they can buy success, it doesn’t work like that, Why don’t you try what Leeds and Saints have done? Mixing quality influential players not up there own booty like your lot with young talent? Ever thought that could work?
Buying your Benji Marshall’s and your Darren Lockyers is just making a total mockery out of this franchise system and will continue to ruin our international game!'"

Interesting idea and one I think Warrington should implement. To do so we will need to:-

- Recruit a head of youth development, maybe from one Leeds?
- Recruit a top coach who has a proven track record of nurturing young players, maybe someone from Leeds?
- Sign up a lot of highly rated young players and blood them through our reserve and academy sides - maybe those teams winning a few games would help demonstrate this
- Start to clear up squad places and cap room by releasing or selling players where appropriate
- Have some sort of system whereby our fans can contribute financially to youth development. Some sort of 'SquadBuidling' system maybe?

Just some ideas. Hope someone at the club is listening...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

Quote: Ian [77] ""Interesting idea and one I think Warrington should implement. To do so we will need to

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5166No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35457_1309776065.png
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35457.png

Quote: Casual Des "3 names should be on Moran's hitlist for 2010

Benji Marshall
Darren Lockyer
Karmichael Hunt

rlhttp://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/dragons-eye-off-trio/2009/01/15/1231608888607.htmlrl

With Gleeson's salary cap space freed up, possibly Briers leaving as well and other imports like Rauhihi, Hicks and Anderson off contract, we should target at least one of these big names for 2010. I hope Moran pulls out all the stops and offers them a package they cant turn down. A 300k a year deal, sponsored car and house in Stozza Heath should clinch it!

Hunt would be my first choice, he is younger and we need a full back desperately.

Either Marshall or Lockyer would do to replace Briers. Marshall has time on his side though and Lockyer would be a short term fix, but the most likely to be tempted over.

Thoughts?'"

You know the salary cap isnt 3 million, right? icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5166No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35457_1309776065.png
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35457.png

Quote: Teddington Wire "Dan Carter; Sam Burgess; Kirk Yeoman.
First two fairly obvious. Yeoman can be the best centre in the competition if he got fit and back to the form of 2007. May just need a change of environment. Can easily fil the boots of Gleeson though, and we can't rely constantly on overseas players. We have to buy british at some point.'"

Your having a laugh, his last try was from a Paul Cooke pass. He's lost without him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach219No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30948.jpg
:30948.jpg

Michael Shenton
Stephen Myler
Daryll Goulding
Joe Westerman
Sam Tomkins
Ryan Atkins

These are the types of players we should be looking at, not your Lyon's and Orford's.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member19907No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1883.jpg
Didn't William Webb Ellis pick up the ball and run, someone should really tell Rugby Union. www.squadbuilder.co.uk:1883.jpg

Quote: Stoop "Michael Shenton
Stephen Myler
Daryll Goulding
Joe Westerman
Sam Tomkins
Ryan Atkins

These are the types of players we should be looking at, not your Lyon's and Orford's.'"

Why would we want some gash RU player, who couldn't hack it at RL?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach219No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30948.jpg
:30948.jpg

Quote: getdownmonkeyman "Why would we want some gash RU player, who couldn't hack it at RL?'"

I opologize
Richie Myler i ment to say.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach909
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33486.gif
:33486.gif

Quote: Ian [77] ""Interesting idea and one I think Warrington should implement. To do so we will need to

I like the cut of your jib, young man. Bold ideas indeed, let's hope the club take them on board.

....Hang on there just a cottin-pickin' minute...

JWP
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13016No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10347_1278884845.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10347.jpg

Quote: Rob Wire "Thats some comparison lol, Richie Myler was up against one of the worse teams in super league and Sam Tomkins was up against the team that have been the best side in SL this year.

If i remember right from the reports i read Richie Myler did nothing worthy of a mention in that St Helens game either, i wouldn`t want either at Warrington at this stage as both are still inexperienced rookies, were a team that needs experience at present and proven class. Salford have had little choice but to chance a rookie and Wigan are the same after Tim Smith has flopped so far.

I hope both make a top flight career in RL as ive nothing against either player, its just based on what ive seen of both and what ive been told about Tomkins i view him as having more potential especially attacking wise as Myler to me seems more of a support half back rather than a creator based on what ive seen of him overall.'"

forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I think going off this, he did a fair bit against the SL Champions today. Looks like his stock is on the rise, pretty much a love-in, this thread.
Quote: Rob Wire "Thats some comparison lol, Richie Myler was up against one of the worse teams in super league and Sam Tomkins was up against the team that have been the best side in SL this year.

If i remember right from the reports i read Richie Myler did nothing worthy of a mention in that St Helens game either, i wouldn`t want either at Warrington at this stage as both are still inexperienced rookies, were a team that needs experience at present and proven class. Salford have had little choice but to chance a rookie and Wigan are the same after Tim Smith has flopped so far.

I hope both make a top flight career in RL as ive nothing against either player, its just based on what ive seen of both and what ive been told about Tomkins i view him as having more potential especially attacking wise as Myler to me seems more of a support half back rather than a creator based on what ive seen of him overall.'"

forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I think going off this, he did a fair bit against the SL Champions today. Looks like his stock is on the rise, pretty much a love-in, this thread.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member19907No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1883.jpg
Didn't William Webb Ellis pick up the ball and run, someone should really tell Rugby Union. www.squadbuilder.co.uk:1883.jpg

Quote: JWP "forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?t

I didn't see the Dragons v Wigan game, how did Tomkins do in comparison?

JWP
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13016No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10347_1278884845.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10347.jpg

Quote: getdownmonkeyman "I didn't see the Dragons v Wigan game, how did Tomkins do in comparison?'"

He did naff all, scored a try when the game was 40-14 to reduce the deficit. He just passes the ball along, team orders ? Not sure, but he doesn't try to create anything.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35453.jpg
Tony Smith: "I thought the fans really made the difference on Sunday. At times I looked at the South Stand and thought WOW those guys are rocking in there, I like that.":35453.jpg

Quote: getdownmonkeyman "I didn't see the Dragons v Wigan game, how did Tomkins do in comparison?'"

Tommy Loo played well in parts. The Catalans pack just dominated wiggin, couldn't get any good field position in the opposition half.

Tomkins didn't do much. Eastmond and Myler are looking to be good prospect at half-back at the mo. Ainscough is a very good prospect on the wing.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach267No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Mar 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Casual Des "3 names should be on Moran's hitlist for 2010

Benji Marshall
Darren Lockyer
Karmichael Hunt

rlhttp://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/dragons-eye-off-trio/2009/01/15/1231608888607.htmlrl

With Gleeson's salary cap space freed up, possibly Briers leaving as well and other imports like Rauhihi, Hicks and Anderson off contract, we should target at least one of these big names for 2010. I hope Moran pulls out all the stops and offers them a package they cant turn down. A 300k a year deal, sponsored car and house in Stozza Heath should clinch it!
NO NO NO NO NO
Hunt would be my first choice, he is younger and we need a full back desperately.

Either Marshall or Lockyer would do to replace Briers. Marshall has time on his side though and Lockyer would be a short term fix, but the most likely to be tempted over.

Thoughts?'"

163 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
163 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.3359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
36s
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Shopping list for 2025
Cuddleclub
1m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
scarrie
3m
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
3m
Film game
Boss Hog
3m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Jack Burton
3m
This weeks disciplinary
chapylad
3m
bulls on Sunday
Hudd-Shay
4m
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Cokey
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
FlyingScotty
TODAY
Squad for London
just_browny
TODAY
Hull FC preview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Halifax A
Wigan Bull
TODAY
East stand
PopTart
TODAY
Locations of League
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Matt Parcell to leave at seasons end
Huddersfield
TODAY
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
Huddersfield
TODAY
IMG
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Leaving players
Murphy
TODAY
bulls on Sunday
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Concerts at Stadiums
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Finn out Murrell in
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
TODAY
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
TODAY
James Clark
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
BP1
TODAY
Realistic targets for 2025
the cal trai
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
FoxyRhino
TODAY
Club Statement
UllFC
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside York Knights Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Old FC when we knew how to play rugby
mk_fc
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition London Home
karetaker
TODAY
Dons v Widnes - Sunday 15 September 2024
Kick and cha
TODAY
Catalans Keep Season Alive With Victory Over The Broncos
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,819 80,12014,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
20:00
Huddersfield
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Salford
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Cronulla
v
NQL Cowboys
       Championship 2024-R27
19:30
Sheffield
v
York
Hull KR
v
Leeds
Leigh
v
St.Helens
Warrington
v
LondonB
 Sat 21st Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 Sun 22nd Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 19th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Salford
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
SL 26 Huddersfield0-66Warrington
CH 26 Toulouse38-18Halifax
NRL 28 Melbourne37-10Cronulla
NRL 28 NQL Cowboys28-16Newcastle
Fri 13th Sep
SL 26 Leigh0-24Hull KR
SL 26 St.Helens40-4Castleford
SL 26 Wigan38-0Leeds
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 26 657 336 321 42
Hull KR 26 693 311 382 40
Warrington 26 684 319 365 38
Salford 26 550 483 67 32
St.Helens 26 584 370 214 30
Leigh 26 548 386 162 29

Leeds 26 514 462 52 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 26 434 648 -214 18
Castleford 26 415 701 -286 15
LondonB 26 317 862 -545 6
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
Sheffield 24 594 472 122 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27
York 25 613 439 174 26

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20