JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

I'm very pleased with this appointment, for the first time ever as a Wire fan I can say that out of all the coaches currently employed in the league, I think Warrington have the best. Great move by everybody involved in securing his signature and lets look forwards.

I actually think Smith's era as coach will be relatively short, the two and a half years he has signed for is what we will get. Who knows what his career aspirations are, but he's already coached a big club in England and won trophies, he's coached at international level, what must his long term ambitions be....I think he will want to coach in the NRL, and to be fair if he has any measure of success at Warrington he is going to be in line for an NRL job. So I'm not expecting him to be here beyond 2011.

A good thing about Smith is he is not a short term man, he has a perspective of the bigger picture and the future, building a club, which is just like his brother.

Leeds have always had junior talent but before he went there they had a lot of players who dominated at Academy level and won Academy championships but then underachieved at SL, some of them ended up at other clubs and their careers stagnated. Smith brought a crop of juniors who had just started to find their feet in the first team under Powell, into top SL players and internationals, and then supplemented them by bringing through the next generation, ie Lee Smith, Nick Scruton, Ashley Gibson, Jordan Tansey, Ryan Hall

Many a time when we were complaining about losing games because we had a lot of recent academy players in the first team and it was too much too soon, Leeds had around the same number and were still having success. Smith brought juniors through and they thrived. John Bastian is on board and we already have a lot of players coming through who had representative caps at junior level - Smith is the perfect man to oversee their development into quality first teamers.

An important point here is that Smith's reputation is as a first rate technical coach, not one who overcomplicates things like Steve Anderson, but who puts a lot of emphasis on improving individual players core skills. Look at the way Leeds sides coached by Smith played - they kept the ball alive superbly, their support play was good, the defence was organised and they were the least penalised team in the league. Rookie players came out of the Academy into that structure and fit in quickly.

As for Warrington post 2011, Lowes has got a good opportunity here, because apprentices to top coaches often become good coaches themselves. Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett is a good example, Steve Clarke and Jose Mourinho, Brian Noble/Mick Potter/Daniel Anderson and Brian Smith. Brian McDermott has made a good start at Harlequins, he served under Tony Smith. However it ends up turning out, I would imagine Smith's intention is to leave in 2011 with Lowes taking over as head coach and maintaining continuity in what will hopefully be a successful culture.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9679No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42175_1290030542.gif
[img:2b6g88ns]http://news.google.co.uk/news/tbn/ryI1dIYrb1oJ[/img:2b6g88ns]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42175.gif

Quote: sally cinnamon "I'm very pleased with this appointment, for the first time ever as a Wire fan I can say that out of all the coaches currently employed in the league, I think Warrington have the best. Great move by everybody involved in securing his signature and lets look forwards.

I actually think Smith's era as coach will be relatively short, the two and a half years he has signed for is what we will get. Who knows what his career aspirations are, but he's already coached a big club in England and won trophies, he's coached at international level, what must his long term ambitions be....I think he will want to coach in the NRL, and to be fair if he has any measure of success at Warrington he is going to be in line for an NRL job. So I'm not expecting him to be here beyond 2011.

A good thing about Smith is he is not a short term man, he has a perspective of the bigger picture and the future, building a club, which is just like his brother.

Leeds have always had junior talent but before he went there they had a lot of players who dominated at Academy level and won Academy championships but then underachieved at SL, some of them ended up at other clubs and their careers stagnated. Smith brought a crop of juniors who had just started to find their feet in the first team under Powell, into top SL players and internationals, and then supplemented them by bringing through the next generation, ie Lee Smith, Nick Scruton, Ashley Gibson, Jordan Tansey, Ryan Hall

Many a time when we were complaining about losing games because we had a lot of recent academy players in the first team and it was too much too soon, Leeds had around the same number and were still having success. Smith brought juniors through and they thrived. John Bastian is on board and we already have a lot of players coming through who had representative caps at junior level - Smith is the perfect man to oversee their development into quality first teamers.

An important point here is that Smith's reputation is as a first rate technical coach, not one who overcomplicates things like Steve Anderson, but who puts a lot of emphasis on improving individual players core skills. Look at the way Leeds sides coached by Smith played - they kept the ball alive superbly, their support play was good, the defence was organised and they were the least penalised team in the league. Rookie players came out of the Academy into that structure and fit in quickly.

As for Warrington post 2011, Lowes has got a good opportunity here, because apprentices to top coaches often become good coaches themselves. Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett is a good example, Steve Clarke and Jose Mourinho, Brian Noble/Mick Potter/Daniel Anderson and Brian Smith. Brian McDermott has made a good start at Harlequins, he served under Tony Smith. However it ends up turning out, I would imagine Smith's intention is to leave in 2011 with Lowes taking over as head coach and maintaining continuity in what will hopefully be a successful culture.'"

Forgot about him linking back up with Smith.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif
:15968.gif

It would have been nice to still have Cull involved and not that Yorkshire oaf.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Cullen wouldn't have done it, he's got eight years experience as a head coach and isnt the type of character to be a number two.

Lowes is still an inexperienced coach and this is a great opportunity for him to observe and learn from Smith as a coach but also to contribute his own knowledge to Smith and see how Smith can get the best out of him. Brian Smith's mentality was always focused around developing upcoming coaches as well as players, so Tony is likely to be of the same school of thought.

Remember when the coaching team was Cullen, Darbyshire, Chambers people often said that we needed some winners in the staff, who had won trophies as players. Tony Smith never won anything the closest he got was being beat in two Grand Finals for St George. Lowes won it all and knew what he was doing on the pitch, give TS a chance to refine Lowes' knowledge of the game into a good coach. Its the same thing as taking a player with raw talent but flaws (eg Penny) and turning him into the finished article.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2379No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44022.jpg
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting':44022.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "I'm very pleased with this appointment, for the first time ever as a Wire fan I can say that out of all the coaches currently employed in the league, I think Warrington have the best. Great move by everybody involved in securing his signature and lets look forwards.

As for Warrington post 2011, Lowes has got a good opportunity here, because apprentices to top coaches often become good coaches themselves. Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett is a good example, Steve Clarke and Jose Mourinho, Brian Noble/Mick Potter/Daniel Anderson and Brian Smith. Brian McDermott has made a good start at Harlequins, he served under Tony Smith. However it ends up turning out, I would imagine Smith's intention is to leave in 2011 with Lowes taking over as head coach and maintaining continuity in what will hopefully be a successful culture.'"
Very good post, but if he does achieve a modicum of success whilst he is here let's not go backwards when he does leave and give the job to somebody not up to it. We have made a crucial first step here and we better not cock it up. Look at what Leeds and Saints do when they lose the services of a good coach, they go out and look for an even better one.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13920
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26249_1542017975.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26249.jpg

Quote: mark_m "It would have been nice to still have Cull involved and not that Yorkshire oaf.'"

I was thinking that very same thing but, like Sally believe, that PC would have had too much pride to accept the demotion, especially when he was the head coach for 5 years and not 17 games.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach249No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Moe syslak "Very good post, but if he does achieve a modicum of success whilst he is here let's not go backwards when he does leave and give the job to somebody not up to it. We have made a crucial first step here and we better not cock it up. Look at what Leeds and Saints do when they lose the services of a good coach, they go out and look for an even better one.'"

To be fair Bluey is the first time we have replaced one good coach with another, for instance after Murray left we replaced him with the disaster that was Dean Lance.

With regards to TS I feel that he may have more on his hands than he did when he took over at Leeds. With Leeds we were virtually there and just needed that bit extra that he brought us. With Warrington it appears that the whole culture of the club, or at the very least that of a number of senior players, needs to be changed.

On the positive side there is talent there to work with. Penny is one example, look at how Smith used Calderwood in his first year. Someone very similar to Penny in that he has blinding pace but still has a lot in his game to work on.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach23178No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Apr 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11426_1682401247.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11426.jpeg

Where do you think we will be in 3 years?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5952No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6580.jpg
:6580.jpg

Quote: Dirty Pretty Thing "
With regards to TS I feel that he may have more on his hands than he did when he took over at Leeds. With Leeds we were virtually there and just needed that bit extra that he brought us. With Warrington it appears that the whole culture of the club, or at the very least that of a number of senior players, needs to be changed.
'"
I agree to an extent, but let's not forget that last season we were in the top 4 for more than half of the season. We were in 4th for 6 of the last 7 weeks.
We didn;t have that bit extra to take us a step further, and maybe Smith will bring that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach249No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mark "Where do you think we will be in 3 years?'"

Don't think you'll be far off, just think there is a lot further to go than there was at the same point in his Leeds career. As someone mentioned previously he excels in improving a players core skills which is better suited to clun coaching rather than internaltional. He is a strict disciplinarian so I can see a few departures from Warrington soon.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach249No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dave T "I agree to an extent, but let's not forget that last season we were in the top 4 for more than half of the season. We were in 4th for 6 of the last 7 weeks.
We didn;t have that bit extra to take us a step further, and maybe Smith will bring that.'"

One thing I can definitely see improving is your record against Saints. When Smith came to Leeds we had a similar (though maybe not as bad) record against Bradford and that has turned round drastically. And if you can come above Saints you won't be far off winning trophies.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member25689No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1617.jpg
[quote="Meyt N Prater Pie"]I think I hate wigan.[/quote]:1617.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "I'm very pleased with this appointment, for the first time ever as a Wire fan I can say that out of all the coaches currently employed in the league, I think Warrington have the best.'"

Not 100% sure about that, but he's definitely up there. Warrington now have a very good coach who COULD take them to the next level.

Good timing aswell I feel with some big games coming up. It's brought a 'feel good' factor to Warrington which could help this weekend against Leeds.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach62No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2010Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Tony Smith as mentioned on this site earlier will be a good overall director of coaching. Jimmy is a players coach and will work well with and alongside the direction of a top level coach. Unlike PC Jimmy will be able to develop his skills as a coach and move away from the public eye, media responsibility that he is quite clearly uncomfortable with.
I believe if he is given a team sheet to work with he will get the best from them 17 players and not have to make tough decisions about players he is too close to.
The youngsters in this club are chomping at the bit, if they are given a chance the enthusiasm and passion will come to the fore to drive these senior players who are in comfort zones..COME ON the wire.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13920
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26249_1542017975.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26249.jpg

Quote: Dave T "I agree to an extent, but let's not forget that last season we were in the top 4 for more than half of the season. We were in 4th for 6 of the last 7 weeks.
We didn;t have that bit extra to take us a step further, and maybe Smith will bring that.'"

Dave, fair enough, we did trouble the top 4 for a while, but did you really believe we could sustain that position and trouble the late rounds of the playoffs? We flattered to deceive.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12937_1277989655.jpg
We're the first ones to starve, we're the first ones to die The first ones in line for that pie-in-the-sky And we're always the last when the cream is shared out For the worker is working when the fat cat's about:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12937.jpg

So is Tony Smith coaching Jimmy Lowes? icon_confused.gif

39 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
39 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2646484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
22m
Film game
Boss Hog
26m