FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > No structure changes for 2018.
18 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star10501
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE CLUBS AGREE NO MAJOR STRUCTURE CHANGE FOR 2018 SEASON

All 12 Betfred Super League Clubs met earlier this month to discuss the success of the current 2017 season and possible plans for the future of the competition.

The clubs were unanimous in their view that the 2017 Betfred Super League season had provided great entertainment and excitement and that whilst the plan is still to review the merits of the current structure from 2019 onwards, it was in the best interests of the competition that there were no major changes made for the start of the 2018 season.

The meeting began with the clubs congratulating Castleford Tigers on becoming the sixth different club to win the League Leaders’ Shield in the past six seasons. Following in the footsteps of Wigan Warriors (2012), Huddersfield Giants (2013), St Helen’s (2014), Leeds Rhinos (2015) and Warrington Wolves (2016), the Tigers topped the league for the first time in their history with victory over Wakefield Trinity in front of a packed crowd at the Mend-a-Hose Stadium.

The meeting was held just prior to the 2017 Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Final at Wembley, in which Hull FC picked up the second piece of silverware of the season following an exciting game against Wigan Warriors which ended 18-14.

Rugby Football League Chief Commercial Officer and Super League Executive Director, Roger Draper, said: “The 2017 Betfred Super League season is one of the most exciting in recent years and Castleford’s victory earlier this month, crowning them League Leaders for the first time in their 91-year history, was a fantastic occasion for all involved with the club.

“Following a brilliant Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Final, we now go into the final four rounds of the season looking forward to seeing who will join Castleford in the semi-finals, with any one of the seven other teams in the Super 8s still in with a chance of making the top four. The fact that Castleford are the sixth different club to top the league in six seasons is testament to the tremendous competition that exists in Super League.

“The meeting held earlier this month was another positive one and all clubs were fully engaged and excited about the issues we discussed. The Rugby Football League and every Super League club is determined that we work together to grow this great game and we now have clarity for the 2018 season and time to consider a variety of options for future years.”

RankPostsTeam
International Star10501
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Couple of references to it being an exciting season, which games were those I've not seen many and I don't just mean our club, are these guys just so blinkered and don't want to see that on the whole that the fare we are being served these days is utter crap, as I said in an earlier post only team worth watching as been Castleford and remembering we played like that for awhile. Apparently the challenge cup final was exciting aswell icon_eek.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain6902
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

The original meeting at Haydock had proposals on the table regarding 2018..Suddenly that changes to 2019..

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5438
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think the reference to 6 different teams finishing top in the last 6 years should ignite a spark in the collective heads of the RL that maybe first past the post is the way to go in deciding who are Champions. Perhaps a sky competition could be run as an end of season bonus for say the top 4 teams to decide who gets the sky cup & who plays against the Aussie teams. Maybe a system like that,with less games, would even give scope to the importance of the Challenge Cup which has been short changed in recent years for the benefit of the sky competition.
As for implying an exciting season just gone, i think that is just endorsing mediocrity & short changing Joe Public.
Something more than dancing girls, fireworks & the occasional second rate performer are not the way to get fans through the turnstiles. Excitement ,endeavour & effort in every game is the key to bums on seats.

RankPostsTeam
International Star10501
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ninearches "I think the reference to 6 different teams finishing top in the last 6 years should ignite a spark in the collective heads of the RL that maybe first past the post is the way to go in deciding who are Champions. Perhaps a sky competition could be run as an end of season bonus for say the top 4 teams to decide who gets the sky cup & who plays against the Aussie teams. Maybe a system like that,with less games, would even give scope to the importance of the Challenge Cup which has been short changed in recent years for the benefit of the sky competition.
As for implying an exciting season just gone, i think that is just endorsing mediocrity & short changing Joe Public.
Something more than dancing girls, fireworks & the occasional second rate performer are not the way to get fans through the turnstiles. Excitement ,endeavour & effort in every game is the key to bums on seats.'"

How is it most fans across all the forums know this but seemingly the RFL choose to ignore it d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4651No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think its a pity they have not increased the size of SL18 to 13 teams, I am bored of playing the same teams so many times in the season. I just hope we will not be playing Widnes again in the pre-season friendly. I am normally up for this after the drought of the off season, but together with the tendency to play 60 people on the bench I think I will probably give it a miss this year. Why don't they think outside the box and have e.g. a mini 7's competition instead ?

DAG
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach330No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27258.jpg
2 Super League Leaders Shields • 9 RFL Challenge Cups 3 League Championships • 1 League Leaders Trophy • 1 Premiership Trophy • 1 Club Championship Trophy • 4 Regal Trophies • 1 Captain Morgan Trophy • 1 Floodlit Trophy • 8 Lancashire League Titles • 9 Lancashire Cups Twitter - @ElmDag:27258.jpg

One of the most exciting seasons in recent years?

I see the Roger Draper PR machine is in full flow once again. Who is he kidding? Take Castleford out of the equation and the quality on show is at an all time low.

Too many games, a gimmick of a format and semi finals to decide who gets to the Grand Final is hardly a play off series.

The guy was useless at our club and he'll be no better in the role he's in now. Just a blinkered spoof merchant.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5882
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66556.jpg

Whether we think that it's an exciting season or not isn't a fair comparative to the RLF's view.

Six different winners in the last six years is THE story as far as they are concerned and first time winners Cas playing great rugby is the cherry on top. Wakefield have done well, Salford have had a good season all be it they are dropping off us a Catalans struggling the competition is competitive and more open, Wigan could force their way to OT from was it 7th or 8th???

Yes our very poor season is one to forget and I don't see many none Wire games, but, suspect standards overall are slipping. On the other hand the RFL might say the cap is working and don't see the decline or admit that there is a race to the bottom

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DAG "One of the most exciting seasons in recent years?

I see the Roger Draper PR machine is in full flow once again. Who is he kidding? Take Castleford out of the equation and the quality on show is at an all time low.

Too many games, a gimmick of a format and semi finals to decide who gets to the Grand Final is hardly a play off series.

The guy was useless at our club and he'll be no better in the role he's in now. Just a blinkered spoof merchant.'"

What do you want him to say to the press? 'Sorry guys, it's been a bit crap this year hasn't it?'

I think it's a positive that six clubs have topped the league in six years? Yes the play from many clubs has been poor this year, but that blame lies at the clubs door, not the RFL's.

The clubs voted for this structure and the clubs have voted for it to remain. The clubs have also voted for the salary cap to reduce in real terms every year for over a decade, whilst our competitors consistently increase their salary spend.

The RFL can only do so much.

RankPostsTeam
International Star10501
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Alffi_7 "What do you want him to say to the press? 'Sorry guys, it's been a bit crap this year hasn't it?'

I think it's a positive that six clubs have topped the league in six years? Yes the play from many clubs has been poor this year, but that blame lies at the clubs door, not the RFL's.

The clubs voted for this structure and the clubs have voted for it to remain. The clubs have also voted for the salary cap to reduce in real terms every year for over a decade, whilst our competitors consistently increase their salary spend.

The RFL can only do so much.'"

It's a member of the RFL that said 2017 is one of the most exciting seasons ever,so would you care to enlighten us as to what's so exciting about it,the stuff on the field is worse I've seen in many a year.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: karetaker "It's a member of the RFL that said 2017 is one of the most exciting seasons ever,so would you care to enlighten us as to what's so exciting about it,the stuff on the field is worse I've seen in many a year.'"

That's not really my point. My point is what do you want him to say? Do you want the lead guy appointed by the SL clubs to say to the press Superleague is crap? If you want a more exciting SL, put pressure on the clubs to do so. Draper or anyone else employed by SLE or the RFL have no influence on how the clubs play the game.

RankPostsTeam
International Star10501
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Alffi_7 "That's not really my point. My point is what do you want him to say? Do you want the lead guy appointed by the SL clubs to say to the press Superleague is crap? If you want a more exciting SL, put pressure on the clubs to do so. Draper or anyone else employed by SLE or the RFL have no influence on how the clubs play the game.'"

I get what you are saying about what is he supposed to say, BUT he should say nothing that is not true,especially if he looked on all the boards,the only board that would most likely say it's exciting is Cas.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: karetaker "I get what you are saying about what is he supposed to say, BUT he should say nothing that is not true,especially if he looked on all the boards,the only board that would most likely say it's exciting is Cas.'"

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It's his job to talk up the game. No different to any other sport or business in the world.

He should absolutely listen to the criticisms being levelled at the game. But he shouldn't be communicating that to the press. If we're not going to talk up our game, no one else is.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3084No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68310_1347387017.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68310.jpeg

Obviously the RFL have to put out the right spin, but sponsors, the press and the general public aren't daft, and rows of empty seats be it at Wembley, the HJ, Wigan or Salford tell their own tale.

What they say outwardly is one thing, but behind close doors they should be very concerned about the state of the game. Sadly, the RFL are the great pretenders and I suspect they are all raising a sherry (or a yard of stout in Nigels case) and indulging in collective back-slapping.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: morrisseyisawire "Obviously the RFL have to put out the right spin, but sponsors, the press and the general public aren't daft, and rows of empty seats be it at Wembley, the HJ, Wigan or Salford tell their own tale.

What they say outwardly is one thing, but behind close doors they should be very concerned about the state of the game. Sadly, the RFL are the great pretenders and I suspect they are all raising a sherry (or a yard of stout in Nigels case) and indulging in collective back-slapping.'"

Yep, although I think the clubs need to stand up too. Would seem to me both ourselves and the pie fans in particular have been very critical of the playing style this year especially.

18 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
18 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.236328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
Recent
Watson toast
Willzay
Recent
have the rules changed
Spookisback
Recent
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
Recent
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
Recent
Saints h
Zig
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
2m
This site is crap
tad rhino
2m
Rumours and signings v9
jonh
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
3m
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
4m
For the live of god Arthur out
batleyrhino
5m
Bradford
BigTime
5m
Squad 2024
SingaporeFax
5m
Shopping list for 2025
Chris71
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
Willzay
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
RfE
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
TODAY
Saints h
Zig
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
batleyrhino
TODAY
Arthur In
KaeruJim
TODAY
Wakefield H
Peter Goddar
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
TODAY
Academy Internationa
Winslade's O
TODAY
Jamie Humphreys NRL Debut
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Warrington v Wigan Super League game to take place in Las Ve
Saddened!
TODAY
Las Vegas Official
TF and the w
TODAY
have the rules changed
Spookisback
TODAY
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,746 ↓-1480,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
Catalans
v
Salford
 Sun 14th Jul
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
WSL2024
WiganW-St.HelensW
SL
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10