FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Salford Red Devils > This is Salford Rugby League Football Club – The People's Cl
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach385No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2013Sep 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47867_1378997218.jpg
When passion and skill work together, the end result is often a masterpiece.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47867.jpg

Words by Louise Woodward-Styles

Face your past without regret, handle your present with confidence, prepare for the future without fear. Keep the faith and drop the fear, don't believe your doubts and never doubt your beliefs. If you are prepared to believe, you will achieve.

If you know anything about the history of Rugby League, then you will know that Salford Rugby League Football Club haven't always been the perennial underachievers.

Since our conception in 1873 as the boys of the Cavendish Street Chapel, we moved from our home in the Hulme district of Manchester across the River Irwell into Salford, and since 1879 we have worn the name of this ever-growing city ever since.

During our 140 year history, Salford have battled against the grain, facing more twists and turns than most clubs could ever stand up to.

Despite recent barren years, The Salford of old were once proclaimed one of the strongest teams in the country and became the first ever champions of Lancashire in 1893. Our past is one of guts and glory, Salford RLFC was home to many legends and pioneers of the sport. Harry Eagles, James Lomas, Gus Risman, David Watkins and the legendary Lance Todd and his dominant 'Red Devils' side of the 1930s. Many league fans lick their lips when they reminisce about the days of Brian Snapes' exciting 'quality street gang' of the 1970s.

Salford Rugby League has always been a club of hardworking people, for the working class people. We once had a ground that was atmospheric and steeped in Rugby League history, and the atmosphere from 'The Shed' would be one that would be feared from Leeds to Lorret.

As a club we have experienced every emotion possible, from joy to fear, tears of exhilaration to tears of devastation.

More recently, for the last thirty years we were kept alive by one man and his love for the club, despite looking like we were at the end of our journey we survived but by the skin of our teeth thanks to a man who truly knows what it is to fight for survival.

Dr Marwan Koukash is that man, a nononsense former refugee and now self made millionaire and horse race tycoon.

Now is the time for Salford to come out from the shadows and stamp our authority on the landscape of Rugby League once more. For too long we have been a home for mercenaries and journeymen, looking for one last payday but, it has to be said, at the supporters' misfortune.

However, I have a message for those who are thinking of pulling on the famous Scarlet Red jersey: NO MORE. This is our club, our team, our love and our passion. It's what we live for, we talk Salford Rugby, we breath and dream Salford Rugby. We yearn for the glory days to return, we listen to stories about 'The King' David Watkins, courageous captains such as Chris Hesketh and flying wingers who were revered throughout the game.

We put our faith in you, but not just you, we put our faith in a club that has been at the heart of a city that has always fought to retain its identity and integrity. The people of Salford are hardworking and passionate, but truth must be told, we are only passionate and loyal when that passion is returned and we are treated with respect and transparency.

Anybody with a sense of sensibility will realise that you cannot buy success. However, success isn't just about silverware. It is about self pride. If you can truly say 'I have given it my all' then that, in the eyes of a Salford supporter, is all we ask for.

When your agent calls you up and says "Salford are interested in signing you" for one moment don't think about how much you could earn, but take a moment to look up our history, look at the men that have shed blood, sweat and tears for the badge upon their chest.

Not only do we want hunger, passion and loyalty on the field, we also demand it off the field too.

Every single person that steps through the doors that display the name of The Salford Red Devils should give it their utmost.

Whether it be the Merchandise Manager, C.E.O or Programme Seller, we will work to the best of our ability. Salford is not just a sports team but an identity. One that will once more be respected and revered.

With change comes difficulties, and for the next few months, we will no doubt face difficulties and frustration. We are a club in transition; a jigsaw that is currently awaiting the delivery of the missing pieces.

Ultimately, under Dr Koukash Salford Red Devils will rise once more likea Phoenix from the flames, but as we know from pervious tenures, one man alone cannot carry the weight of this institute.

TOGETHER in unity every player, coach, man, woman and child must believe in the Salford vision.

Do not criticise and bemoan our position if you aren't willing to provide your support and make a difference. We need every single Salfordian who once claimed to have watched The Reds we need you to return. Every member of the back room staff, we need you to work harder than you have before and you will be rewarded.

Ultimately, my last message is to those players who bore the name of Salford Rugby League upon their shirt, this is my club, my love and life and the passion for thousands of other Salford supporters.

We may at the moment be few in numbers but we have a heart and passion that a million supporters couldn't match. Play for those who have worn the shirt and are now no longer with us; play for the young boy in the crowd who chooses to wear his Salford shirt to bed every night; play for the elderly gentleman who chooses to spend his pension so you can feed your family, and last but not least, chose to believe in our vision, our history and our heritage.

If you do all this, success and glory will choose you. Salford Rugby League Football Club is a passionate and loyal family, show us the passion and hunger and it will be your extended family for life.

Thanks for taking the time to Read this I write for TheBestOfSalford promoting and showcasing THE BEST local businesses in Salford!

RankPostsTeam
International Star643No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Blimey Louise the only thing you left out was “We shall fight them on the beaches”

I know (from reading your blogs) that you will be first to admit that you are a bit 'off the wall' but nobody can ever question your passion for this club. Well done you obviously put a lot of effort into writing that. eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/PDT3.gif
:simpsons/PDT3.gif

Quote: CavendishStreet "Words by Louise Woodward-Styles

Face your past without regret, handle your present with confidence, prepare for the future without fear. Keep the faith and drop the fear, don't believe your doubts and never doubt your beliefs. If you are prepared to believe, you will achieve.

If you know anything about the history of Rugby League, then you will know that Salford Rugby League Football Club haven't always been the perennial underachievers.

Since our conception in 1873 as the boys of the Cavendish Street Chapel, we moved from our home in the Hulme district of Manchester across the River Irwell into Salford, and since 1879 we have worn the name of this ever-growing city ever since.

During our 140 year history, Salford have battled against the grain, facing more twists and turns than most clubs could ever stand up to.

Despite recent barren years, The Salford of old were once proclaimed one of the strongest teams in the country and became the first ever champions of Lancashire in 1893. Our past is one of guts and glory, Salford RLFC was home to many legends and pioneers of the sport. Harry Eagles, James Lomas, Gus Risman, David Watkins and the legendary Lance Todd and his dominant 'Red Devils' side of the 1930s. Many league fans lick their lips when they reminisce about the days of Brian Snapes' exciting 'quality street gang' of the 1970s.

Salford Rugby League has always been a club of hardworking people, for the working class people. We once had a ground that was atmospheric and steeped in Rugby League history, and the atmosphere from 'The Shed' would be one that would be feared from Leeds to Lorret.

As a club we have experienced every emotion possible, from joy to fear, tears of exhilaration to tears of devastation.

More recently, for the last thirty years we were kept alive by one man and his love for the club, despite looking like we were at the end of our journey we survived but by the skin of our teeth thanks to a man who truly knows what it is to fight for survival.

Dr Marwan Koukash is that man, a nononsense former refugee and now self made millionaire and horse race tycoon.

Now is the time for Salford to come out from the shadows and stamp our authority on the landscape of Rugby League once more. For too long we have been a home for mercenaries and journeymen, looking for one last payday but, it has to be said, at the supporters' misfortune.

However, I have a message for those who are thinking of pulling on the famous Scarlet Red jersey

Phew took a bit of reading but if the rest of you have the same fire in your bellies you will be ok. Good luck

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member483
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3313_1381932517.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3313.png

Brought a lump to my throat that did. Thanks.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1749No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46828_1381397654.png
[b:1ut2mx8s][color=#FF0000:1ut2mx8s]Devils Disciples required - No initiation ceremony needed just enter AJ Bell Stadium on Gameday to be accepted.[/color:1ut2mx8s][/b:1ut2mx8s]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46828.png

Inspirational,Louise.
Keep on keeping on ! eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif
( I think the heading should read The Peoples Club not the Peoples Cl )

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32990.jpg

Quote: Wirecutter "Blimey Louise the only thing you left out was “We shall fight them on the beaches”

'"

Let's hope we have some decent new troops for the Barton landings on D-Day August 9th. Disambiguation day in August sums it up perfectly don't you think?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50086_1357229109.jpg
[b:33tg3xj5]Me:[/b:33tg3xj5] I'm still reeling from the news that someone is considering watching the 1st and 3rd game on Saturday and NOT watching Warrington play. It's like being in Shea Stadium when the Beatles came to town and deciding to nip out for a fag. [b:33tg3xj5]knockersbumpMKII:[/b:33tg3xj5] Is it FOOK, you're good but you're not THAT good, jesus you wanky fans need to get over yourselves, Beatles at the Shea in '65 was a once in a lifetime opportunity for some (despite the following years performance), you can watch a very good team in primrose & yellow play every week if you really wanted to but comparing it to one of the very best music groups of all time in an iconic stadia such as the shea is overegging your importance, you're not even the best team in SL atm:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50086.jpg

Jesus.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1114No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salary cap - you're havin a laugh.:

Stopped reading after the first paragraph. Does it end well?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach10390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11969.jpg
Me and are kid (TheButcher) putting the world two rights. ERIC SHAW PREDICTION LEAGUE & PLAY OFFS WINNER 2013 Don't like it? Well Frack off then. Energy & progress for all. Foe is our friend. mitie mouse, Lancetodd, Marshy1, eccles star, Dantes Inferno, Philyourboots, biggunbrad, DAVE@CAS1990, RED LEAGUE, OzWelsh, Red-Devils-PAW, newgroundb4wakey All blocked - Go ahead punk make my day.:11969.jpg

Quote: Talent Spotter "Stopped reading after the first paragraph. Does it end well?'"

The Butler did it icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach842No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ken Gill could make the ball talk.:

Quote: Michigan red "The Butler did it
John Butler?

Sorry. Giving my age away!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2898No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3596.jpg
this will not be the end, or even the beginning of the end. It is merely the end of the beginning [img:1mcv36at]http://homepage.eircom.net/~bray/em/oguinn.gif[/img:1mcv36at] [img:1mcv36at]http://homepage.eircom.net/~bray/em/msperv-l.gif[/img:1mcv36at]:3596.jpg

Quote: Talent Spotter "Stopped reading after the first paragraph. '"

Why? Pointless openning the thread for you really wasn't it icon_rolleyes.gif

Superb writing Louise. Hope you can get that published in the RL press, local press and the matchday programme. Could do with it being put up on a few pub and social club noticeboards too and I hope you've sent a copy to Marwan. I would hope the current squad and any potential signing read it too.

Well done.

RankPostsTeam
International Star578
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69942_1364386151.jpg
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/116458994@N04:1ai01i7f]My Flickr[/url:1ai01i7f] [url=https://www.twitter.com/bandgeekmafia78:1ai01i7f]My Twitter[/url:1ai01i7f] [url=http://www.deviltalk.co.uk:1ai01i7f]DevilTalk[/url:1ai01i7f]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69942.jpg

Marwan needs to hire Brian Blessed to read this to the players before tonight's game.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6329_1327085433.jpg
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003... Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans? Then you need... TheButcher I must be STOPPED!! Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns' "A Local Forum. For Local People":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6329.jpg

Quote: bandgeekmafia78 "Marwan needs to hire Brian Blessed to read this to the players before tonight's game.'"

icon_lol.gif

Quality.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach10390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11969.jpg
Me and are kid (TheButcher) putting the world two rights. ERIC SHAW PREDICTION LEAGUE & PLAY OFFS WINNER 2013 Don't like it? Well Frack off then. Energy & progress for all. Foe is our friend. mitie mouse, Lancetodd, Marshy1, eccles star, Dantes Inferno, Philyourboots, biggunbrad, DAVE@CAS1990, RED LEAGUE, OzWelsh, Red-Devils-PAW, newgroundb4wakey All blocked - Go ahead punk make my day.:11969.jpg

Quote: bandgeekmafia78 "Marwan needs to hire Brian Blessed to read this to the players before tonight's game.'"

"Gordon's alive?"

<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.5205078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
3m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
16m