May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25105.jpg
Welcome to Jibsville [b:1gp5b0r3]To Pay Is To Fail[/b:1gp5b0r3]:25105.jpg

Quote: TheButcher "Knickers in a twist today eh?

eusa_clap.gif Absolutely spot on with everything you say. I actually don’t mind the kits but I will not be buying one though due to the fact there is no mention of ‘Salford’ but there is of ‘Manchester’ the club should be proud to represent the City.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach223No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25105.jpg

Quote: TheButcher "I wont break down the rest of your nonsense because I can't be bothered and you didn't really make an valid points worth discussing.'"

Of course not, sweetheart. Enjoy the rest of your day. x

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach10390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11969.jpg
Me and are kid (TheButcher) putting the world two rights. ERIC SHAW PREDICTION LEAGUE & PLAY OFFS WINNER 2013 Don't like it? Well Frack off then. Energy & progress for all. Foe is our friend. mitie mouse, Lancetodd, Marshy1, eccles star, Dantes Inferno, Philyourboots, biggunbrad, DAVE@CAS1990, RED LEAGUE, OzWelsh, Red-Devils-PAW, newgroundb4wakey All blocked - Go ahead punk make my day.:11969.jpg

In terms of heritage I meant more go back to the start and play in the original colours, for me the nod to the Red Devils was a stroke of genius by the club as so many of us have called for it, now that they have it they don't seem to be happy. From the Docs point of view as the sole owner of the club he is trying too find a way too market the club/brand to a wider audience so putting Salford on would possibly alienate some fans. Those of us from Salford know it is Salford and that is who we support.

Quote: "You're making yourself look daft here'"

You said it yourself, pot, kettle and black.

Do you not think the modernisation of the Salford club is a good thing? I do, there many more pros than the few cons, it is more media friendly, more marketable and I'd think more salable to players the club is looking too recruit.

Too me the club needs to do more to celebrate the clubs brilliant ex players, make each home game a celebration of one ex player. I got shouted down when I suggested that when we played on St Davids day a couple of seasons ago we got the many ex great Welsh players down to introduce them too the new owners and stadium Apparently we should though celebrate St Patricks day and the long tradition we have of recruiting Irish players such as Andy (I once drunk a pint of Guinness so I'm Irish) O'Burgess.

Is the club actively distancing itself from it's Salford connections? I don't see it that way but we shall have too agree too disagree on that.

The team playing in Red at Barton is the same one who played in Red at the Willows in my eyes, they could re brand too Barton Bombers but you, I and everyone from Salford knows that the team is Salford. Look at the forced mergers in Australia, the same people still support the merged teams because they know that they are following their team.

I can see why people would get annoyed yes, but are we going to have the crazy situation where they walk away and start a separate club start all over again as Salford? I'm not dismissing people as being negative as much as I might not agree I support anyone's right too have a differing opinion (I just chose sometimes to not bother with the limp brains behind those opinions), what I do say though is I think people need too be a little more appreciative of what someone is doing too save, expand and ultimately make our club self sustaining. I swear some would grumble if the Doc put £100 million in the bank too safe gaurd us for life, what only £100 million blah blah blah.

I do see your point on the amount of bums on seats, but what the re brand is as much as anything is a marketing/sales driven decision, look at the headlines when we started the Devilution last year, the image the club now has following this will be a big contributing factor in getting Under Armour as the kit manufacturer. The new image sells, the old one just patently didn't.

A concession I would like too have made was Salford woven into the fabric, pretty sure that would have been quite doable and would have kept so many people happy, I think that something like that is something that someone with acumen at the club should have sussed as it was being designed.

I do worry sometimes that the Doc is incredibly knee jerk and doesn't seem too have the best behind the scene advisers, what I'd hate was a cumulative effect of all the negativity too start to wear him down, I doubt he'd walk away but I could see him offering the club up for the best taker. The Doc obviously loves the club and I'd love too see him get a return on his investment, get full houses and see nothing but love and bonhomme from the various sections of fans - some is attainable some I'm afraid will never happen

RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

You need to get a chant going for next season incorporating the new "Red Devils" or you might be ridiculed like the Hudds fans for chanting "Fartown - Fartown".

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach223No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25105.jpg

Quote: Michigan red "In terms of heritage I meant more go back to the start and play in the original colours, for me the nod to the Red Devils was a stroke of genius by the club as so many of us have called for it, now that they have it they don't seem to be happy. From the Docs point of view as the sole owner of the club he is trying too find a way too market the club/brand to a wider audience so putting Salford on would possibly alienate some fans. Those of us from Salford know it is Salford and that is who we support.'"

But branding means nothing without a team on the pitch. Look at Manchester United and, now they're winning things, City. They didn't have to rebrand themselves as non Manchester clubs to get people from all over the UK and the world to support them. They just needed success. In City's case, wealthy owners helped. A "brand" that was an absolute laughing stock has become one of the most successful clubs in the country. No need for a new name, or to drop "Manchester" or "City" from anything. Just a team capable of winning trophies.

Quote: Michigan red "You said it yourself, pot, kettle and black.'"

If you say so.

Quote: Michigan red "Do you not think the modernisation of the Salford club is a good thing? I do, there many more pros than the few cons, it is more media friendly, more marketable and I'd think more salable to players the club is looking too recruit.'"

I do think it's a good thing. The club's in a much better state than it was under Wilkinson. Doesn't mean you can't find the odd fault, here and there.

Quote: Michigan red "Too me the club needs to do more to celebrate the clubs brilliant ex players, make each home game a celebration of one ex player. I got shouted down when I suggested that when we played on St Davids day a couple of seasons ago we got the many ex great Welsh players down to introduce them too the new owners and stadium Apparently we should though celebrate St Patricks day and the long tradition we have of recruiting Irish players such as Andy (I once drunk a pint of Guinness so I'm Irish) O'Burgess.'"

I'da agree with that. St. Patrick's day had bugger all to do with us (and it's cack anyway) - something like your suggestion would, actually, be a good idea and have relevance to Salford RLFC. So will it happen? Probably not!

Quote: Michigan red "Is the club actively distancing itself from it's Salford connections? I don't see it that way but we shall have too agree too disagree on that.'"

To be fair, I don't think that myself. This only started because I'm fed up of seeing posts dismissing people who do hold such concerns. Although I'm slightly wary of the rebranding, as it does strike me as being like the organisations I mentioned in my previous post. I can understand people's concerns.

Quote: Michigan red "The team playing in Red at Barton is the same one who played in Red at the Willows in my eyes, they could re brand too Barton Bombers but you, I and everyone from Salford knows that the team is Salford. Look at the forced mergers in Australia, the same people still support the merged teams because they know that they are following their team.'"

Merged clubs aren't the same, though. The culture in Australia, the US and so on is completely different clubs are franchises, moved around at the whim of an owner. When the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to LA, people stopped supporting them. Despite the club shouting about how it was still the same franchise. Franchising is a dangerous thing and doesn't fit into the culture of sporting clubs in this country. Look at the reaction to mooted franchising in rugby league. And ask Gateshead and Sheffield fans what they think of it...

Quote: Michigan red "I can see why people would get annoyed yes, but are we going to have the crazy situation where they walk away and start a separate club start all over again as Salford? I'm not dismissing people as being negative as much as I might not agree I support anyone's right too have a differing opinion (I just chose sometimes to not bother with the limp brains behind those opinions), what I do say though is I think people need too be a little more appreciative of what someone is doing too save, expand and ultimately make our club self sustaining. I swear some would grumble if the Doc put £100 million in the bank too safe gaurd us for life, what only £100 million blah blah blah.'"

People might, although I doubt the support for such a club would be there. But if the club suddenly became the Manchester Red Devils, or North West Red Devils, I could see quite a few giving up. Again, for reasons mentioned in the previous post. To some, if the club no long represents the City of Salford, then it no longer represents them. That doesn't mean, however, that they have a limp brain. I think your last point on that paragraph is a bit of hyperbole, mind. I think people are appreciative of what's being done, but that doesn't mean they cannot question things. Blind faith is a dangerous thing.

Quote: Michigan red "I do see your point on the amount of bums on seats, but what the re brand is as much as anything is a marketing/sales driven decision, look at the headlines when we started the Devilution last year, the image the club now has following this will be a big contributing factor in getting Under Armour as the kit manufacturer. The new image sells, the old one just patently didn't.'"

I don't doubt that for a second. But the new image won't sell if the team carries on winning f**k all.

Quote: Michigan red "A concession I would like too have made was Salford woven into the fabric, pretty sure that would have been quite doable and would have kept so many people happy, I think that something like that is something that someone with acumen at the club should have sussed as it was being designed.'"

I agree with that. It seems like an oversight on something that so easily could have been done. We wouldn't then be having this discussion.

Quote: Michigan red "I do worry sometimes that the Doc is incredibly knee jerk and doesn't seem too have the best behind the scene advisers, what I'd hate was a cumulative effect of all the negativity too start to wear him down, I doubt he'd walk away but I could see him offering the club up for the best taker. The Doc obviously loves the club and I'd love too see him get a return on his investment, get full houses and see nothing but love and bonhomme from the various sections of fans - some is attainable some I'm afraid will never happen'"

I think patience is the key, from everyone from MK down to us rank and file supporters. It won't change overnight. I think the only thing that will turn MK off is if he doesn't get his own way and win trophy after trophy after trophy. But it'll take more than marketing, branding and any impact the club name has to get people flocking to the stadium. When he's holding the Challenge Cup aloft on the Wembley pitch? *That* will get them coming through the turnstiles.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Someday, somewhere, today’s empires are tomorrow’s ashes.:

Although I appreciate your concerns - and, to be honest, I can't see myself supporting a 'Manchester' team - I think you're in danger of getting a bit Daily Mail and worrying about things that aren't happening. The club are still called Salford Red Devils. It says so on the website, it says so in the fixture lists and it says so in the e-mail I got from the club the other day. I don't think the 'Salford' name appeared on the shirt last year either, but no-one raised any concerns about it.

However, if you really are concerned, you could e-mail Martin Vickers and ask the question. I e-mailed him about something else yesterday and got a reply within hours.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach223No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25105.jpg

Quote: Red John "Although I appreciate your concerns - and, to be honest, I can't see myself supporting a 'Manchester' team - I think you're in danger of getting a bit Daily Mail and worrying about things that aren't happening. The club are still called Salford Red Devils. It says so on the website, it says so in the fixture lists and it says so in the e-mail I got from the club the other day. I don't think the 'Salford' name appeared on the shirt last year either, but no-one raised any concerns about it.

However, if you really are concerned, you could e-mail Martin Vickers and ask the question. I e-mailed him about something else yesterday and got a reply within hours.'"

Your reading comprehension must improve: I haven't said that I, personally, have a problem. My initial post was purely aimed at MR and TB dismissing other people so glibly. The rest is just a reasoned debate that's sprung out of said post. That is what a forum is for, no? Discussion?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Someday, somewhere, today’s empires are tomorrow’s ashes.:

Compare and contrast

Quote: Jibmeister "
Would I baulk at a successful side called the Red Devils? No. Would I baulk at a successful side that actively distanced itself from Salford? Yes.'"

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6329_1327085433.jpg
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003... Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans? Then you need... TheButcher I must be STOPPED!! Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns' "A Local Forum. For Local People":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6329.jpg

Any word on 'My Agenda' yet?

I can't seem to find it...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach340No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15113.gif
:15113.gif

Quote: Michigan red " From the Docs point of view as the sole owner of the club he is trying too find a way too market the club/brand to a wider audience so putting Salford on would possibly alienate some fans. Those of us from Salford know it is Salford and that is who we support.'"

Regardless of the issue of the wording on the playing jersey (none of Brisbane Broncos, South Sydney and North Queensland Cowboys actually have thier name on the badge on the shirt - but they are all much more recognised brands in their markets), in my opinion, "Salford" being absent from branding on general merch [iweakens[/i the brand.

Many fans use merch to show their support and in turn help raise the profile of the club. Who do you think the average person on the streets of Greater Manchester would think somebody supported if they saw them wearing this?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach987No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

A.Marshall:

Quote: Michigan red "Well said are kid, was going two post the same but it was two much trouble and the too people who'd read it are both two busy.'"

You really can't be serious "two Post", "two much trouble" , "too People" and "two busy".........If I hadn't shaken his hand I'd swear mich was about six years old.

128 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
128 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0322265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM