Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15_1451944442.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15.gif

Is there any evidence in UK sport (or wider for that matter) that simply a name change is some kind of panacea?*

* Beyond 19th century name changes such as Newton Heath Loco ->MUFC

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach842No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ken Gill could make the ball talk.:

Quote: Iain "Is there any evidence in UK sport (or wider for that matter) that simply a name change is some kind of panacea?'"

Fulham changed their name to London, and the rest is history!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6292No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7891.jpg
Salford RLFC Folly ARLFC Good john wilky last looked out on the pitch at salford. when the snow lay round about deep and crisp and even brightly played the lads that night though the frost was cruelllll when poor swinton scored a try we had 94urrrrrrrrrr:7891.jpg

Quote: The Big Panjandrum "If the current parochial mentality persists Salford will end up like Huddersfield as suggested with a good team, crowds of 5,500 and an owner berating the local population for not being supportive enough. Huddersfield probably has a smaller catchment area and its last previous period of success was well before Salford's last but they along with Town are undisputedly the local sporting focal points. Salford will be forever hobbled by the fact that they are in the backyard of one behemoth called United and in close proximity of another potential behemoth called City. The modern city of Salford has a far less robust and defined sense of itself than the previous incarnation and a significant majority will not have the slightest idea who the ‘pride of the city’ (?) is. The support of the two football giants just exacerbates an already pretty fractured and fluid local identity – Salford is not a St Helens, Wigan or Warrington and i simply cannot ever see the Salford ever attracting the kind of the numbers these teams are capable of. Salford somehow, without major name changes and betraying their past, need to market themselves as Manchester’s premier RL team. An anathema to many perhaps but regular crowds of 8,000 paying punters delivered out of the immediate Salford area are years away if achievable at all.
Many of course might be happy with 5,500 but i doubt if Dr Koukash will be.'"

And how on earth will they then make up the 2000 or so fans that won't turn up to watch a Manchester team? Branding ourselves as a Manchester will have the opposite effect, crowds will drop.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6329_1327085433.jpg
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003... Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans? Then you need... TheButcher I must be STOPPED!! Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns' "A Local Forum. For Local People":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6329.jpg

Quote: Ave It! "And how on earth will they then make up the 2000 or so fans that won't turn up to watch a Manchester team? Branding ourselves as a Manchester will have the opposite effect, crowds will drop.'"

I think you probably over-estimate the amount of people who care enough not to turn up.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6292No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7891.jpg
Salford RLFC Folly ARLFC Good john wilky last looked out on the pitch at salford. when the snow lay round about deep and crisp and even brightly played the lads that night though the frost was cruelllll when poor swinton scored a try we had 94urrrrrrrrrr:7891.jpg

Quote: TheButcher "I think you probably over-estimate the amount of people who care enough not to turn up.'"

Maybe - But do you honestly think that as rebranding ourselves as a Manchester it will have a positive effect on crowds? It just will not happen, people are not going to travel from places like Moston, Collyhurst, Hulme ect to come and watch a Manchester team play in the City of Salford. We cannot get rid of the Salford name, even not adding the Manchester and just marketing as the Red Devils is ludicrous totally throws any sort of identity away.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach710No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10253_1409954005.jpg
[b:6qpd6dos][color=#FF0000:6qpd6dos]Twitter: @yorkshiredevils - rugby league @squeezed_middle - everything else[/color:6qpd6dos][/b:6qpd6dos]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10253.jpg

Using my particular Matchday group as a sample, me and my little lad would probably still go to games (although I'm not in favour of dropping Salford) but my dad and my uncle almost certainly wouldn't.

Stretching my point somewhat, I can't see any of my uncles or cousins on the other side of the Irwell suddenly taking an interest because we happen to be called Manchester. My one relative on the Manc side of the family with an interest in rugby league is a Wigan fan!

Rather than tinkering with the window dressing, the Doc and his acolytes would be better advised to take an urgent look at the club's media, marketing and promotional work, while also improving the transport links and spreading the brand around the city.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6329_1327085433.jpg
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003... Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans? Then you need... TheButcher I must be STOPPED!! Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns' "A Local Forum. For Local People":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6329.jpg

I'd rather the name stayed too. If it didn't though I wouldn't be locking myself away and planning a 24 hr picket line either. Playing Devil's advocate a little, the Salford public don't really seem to care for the Club a great deal anyway. A large percentage of Salford's support appear not to be native Salfordians anyway. Will it matter to them?

Personally, I think it's all rubbish anyway. I don't think the Dr has plans to drop it is my personal feeling. However, it's his Club, and he can do what he wants with it.

icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman6769No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2013Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4795-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Holts Sweet Holts Never Drink on an Empty Head BIGPEV THE ONLY MAN TO GET A REAL INJURY AT THE STOOP:icons39ad_files/4795-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

With this rebranding there are bound to be many rumours flying around from them "in the know" and this leads to a lot of uncertainty amongst other fans not "in the know" but the things we can't do anything about is the grounds location, which is partially the fault of the badly run RFL. So we or the club have to try and ensure that people can get to and from the ground easily, which means talking with TfGM about facilitating this in the future, talking with developers with regards the new access roads and getting these projects completed.
Next we and the club need to go out and market at the grass roots, this may mean talking to the two football clubs about early season promotions via season ticket holders and more so the members of both clubs who don't attend regularly because of cost or demand of the football tickets.
The club could also work with the large housing associations in the city, a potential 60,000 people are tenants' of these landlords and competitions to win tickets or ticket offers could be targeted here.
Keep the website updated and encourage fans to retweet club tweets on a daily basis, even mundane " 2 days away from matchday" tweets with a link in each tweet for tickets etc

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17925.jpg
:17925.jpg

Quote: Wayward Fan "
Rather than tinkering with the window dressing, the Doc and his acolytes would be better advised to take an urgent look at the club's media, marketing and promotional work, while also improving the transport links and spreading the brand around the city.'"

Agreed.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach710No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10253_1409954005.jpg
[b:6qpd6dos][color=#FF0000:6qpd6dos]Twitter: @yorkshiredevils - rugby league @squeezed_middle - everything else[/color:6qpd6dos][/b:6qpd6dos]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10253.jpg

As I've said before, getting someone to resurrect our twitter account would be a start.

RankPostsTeam
International Star8No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Ave it – i specifically said Salford should keep their name but try and MARKET themselves as the Manchester area’s Super League team . Dropping the Salford name would finish off an already dwindling fan base. Sale Sharks , carry the name of a district of Trafford , play in Salford and happily market themselves as from Manchester when it suits. Depends how important hitting this mythical 8,000 number is to Dr Koukash but his largesse will not be limitless. But if Huddersfield can’t get regular crowds of 8,000 Salford never will as things stand. Perhaps the strategy of selling the great game of rugby league rather than specifically Salford might be the way to go (with the RL stumping up for some of the costs). With an exciting team, a good stadium, improved parking and better accessibility they would be the main beneficiaries. South Manchester would offer some possibilities. Fact is supporting is a habit , with many that habit has now been broken and they aren’t coming back any time soon if ever regardless of any success on the field . So replacements are needed.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1749No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46828_1381397654.png
[b:1ut2mx8s][color=#FF0000:1ut2mx8s]Devils Disciples required - No initiation ceremony needed just enter AJ Bell Stadium on Gameday to be accepted.[/color:1ut2mx8s][/b:1ut2mx8s]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46828.png

Quote: Iain "Is there any evidence in UK sport (or wider for that matter) that simply a name change is some kind of panacea?*

'"

I am aware of heresy at Cardiff City FC who changed their strip from blue to red - and managed promotion this year.
I don't know the full story but I have a link,or two rl

rlAnd Thererl

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6292No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7891.jpg

Quote: The Big Panjandrum "Ave it – i specifically said Salford should keep their name but try and MARKET themselves as the Manchester area’s Super League team . Dropping the Salford name would finish off an already dwindling fan base. Sale Sharks , carry the name of a district of Trafford , play in Salford and happily market themselves as from Manchester when it suits. Depends how important hitting this mythical 8,000 number is to Dr Koukash but his largesse will not be limitless. But if Huddersfield can’t get regular crowds of 8,000 Salford never will as things stand. Perhaps the strategy of selling the great game of rugby league rather than specifically Salford might be the way to go (with the RL stumping up for some of the costs). With an exciting team, a good stadium, improved parking and better accessibility they would be the main beneficiaries. South Manchester would offer some possibilities. Fact is supporting is a habit , with many that habit has now been broken and they aren’t coming back any time soon if ever regardless of any success on the field . So replacements are needed.'"

Apologies - I was on one and a took this line out of context.

Quote: The Big Panjandrum "Salford somehow, without major name changes and betraying their past, need to market themselves as Manchester’s premier RL team'"

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach710No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10253_1409954005.jpg

Let's not put the cart before the horse here. How about getting the basics right first.

Regular updates to the website, Facebook and twitter would be a start.

I never thought this possible but the flow of information out of the club is even worse than it was during the Wilkinson era.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3356
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings".. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything. Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986) The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget The Naive Forgive And Forget The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget "I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900) One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph. virginia woolf (1882-1941):icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif

I think some people underestimate the interest in Salford, we have been (I'll be kind) poorly run for thirty years now, with relegation/promotion/survival our lot. There is interest out there and as I've said before the only thing never tried at Salford is success.

I think success will bring the crowds in not the build it and they will come model as used by the previous regime. Similar to what Moran has done for Warrington.

Anyone think a successful Salford side wouldn't take 30,000 to Old Trafford or Wembley ?

Personally I also feel people seem to forget the state of the economy I know of people who throughout my lifetime would walk over hot coals to watch even a rubbish Salford side home and away who through rising costs and unemployment (see last weeks Advertiser to see just how hard it is to find employment in Salford) can't afford to go and I know how much that hurts some of our fans, me included at the moment as I'm trying to justify what I miss out on next week in order to spend twenty quid (plus) on friday night.

It will take time of co but it can happen, successs marketing grass roots and pricing are a given, changing a name to another especially one with no interest in rugby is just desperation. For the record I have a mate who lives in Burnage (south manchester) he has a passing interest in rugby and taking the glamour of Wigan away has always said if he followed a team it would be Salford based on the fact it would be his local team.

80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3759765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
6m
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
8m