JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33469.jpg
IF WIDNES DESERVE A PLACE IN SUPER LEAGUE.......THEN THE POPE IS JEWISH!:33469.jpg

Well spotted king of the shed,some very interesting reading there,like i mentioned above i think the general might have under estimated the quality of super league and perhaps/hopefully next season we might see a change in his style of play having had time to adapt to our game.I remember a certain matt king had a stinker of a season in his first year in super league! now look what he has achieved in the past 2 seasons !!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1571No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13579.jpg
:13579.jpg

Quote: theredshed "Surely if there is one less player in the defensive line then teams will exploit the extra space. Fullbacks are only effective in defending 1 on 1 line break situations, if the team that make the break have support they are about as much use as an ejector seat in a helicopter.'"

Come on now: have a think about this. How many times in the modern game does a one on one with the FB happen? Very few. Attacking kickers rarely put a high bomb to the central in goal area and prefer to put the wide defenders under pressure from their own attacking wingers.

The fact of the matter is that Brett Hodgson (for example) appears to have a lot more time to collect and run the ball back because he's playing behind a very very good defence, whereas some of our defence this season has been absolutely woeful: last week's game at Hull FC being just one of those examples. I agree with one of the previous posters who stated that you could put Billy Slater at FB in the current Reds team and he would probably look pretty ordinary.

I think Patten is pure class and I think we'll probably see a lot more from him in the future.

P.S. I have been known to be wrong before though. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star11No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ave It! "What about about the dropped balls from kicks of any sort which come in? Defence isn't all about tackling when playing fullback its also about defusing the danger from kicks, which 7 times out of 10 he doesn't do.'"

icon_iamwithstupid.gif

If the players ahead of him were stoping them get within 30 meters of our goal posts then the bomb wouldn't be an option, they'd be forced to be hitting the ball 50-60 meters into or corners giving him more time to think, if you look at Hull KR they have fast line speed stoping teams getting yards to give Shaun Briscoe time to sprint the ball up field, that was the difference between us and Castleford 4 weeks back.

RankPostsTeam
International Star162No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014Sep 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
55050_1378721603.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_55050.jpg

I tend to agree with the recent posts; it's our general defence that is letting us down. We need more line speed and solid defending. MP I'm sure will be working on this amongst other things. Keep the faith. I say the Salford Reds are rising.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32990.jpg

Quote: Butchersdad "Come on now

I have to agree that fewer tries appear to be scored from line breaks than in the past. The stats may prove me wrong but there certainly seems to be more tries scored from either close range or from attacking kicks. I suppose you could say that tighter defences have created the need for more attacking kicks to open up defences. The question is though have better defences actually made the game less exciting a spectacle to watch? If I think back for instance to the 80/90's you would regularly see the likes of Joe Lydon, Offiah or Schofield, etc scoring some absolute long range corkers!

It would be interesting to know how many tries are started these days from within say a teams own half compared with the past? Lets be honest most of us would prefer to be jumping up and down cheering along a winger running at pace from his own 20 than watching him contest and catch a high kick to the corner from about a yard out.

Perhaps the NRL/RFLwill change the rules in future if defences improve even further, making the game 11 v 11 instead of 13 and ditching scrums to make the game more open and entertaining.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6292No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7891.jpg
Salford RLFC Folly ARLFC Good john wilky last looked out on the pitch at salford. when the snow lay round about deep and crisp and even brightly played the lads that night though the frost was cruelllll when poor swinton scored a try we had 94urrrrrrrrrr:7891.jpg

Quote: Forever Reds "

Ahh resulting to calling me for stupid for having a difference of opinion with you, very grown up!

FWIW I am as impressed as the next man with Pattens attacking ability, but no amount of stats or anything will convince me that his defensive weakness can just be swept under the carpet(Yes maybe his mistakes stand out more being a fullback), but lets face it there has been some absolute shockers by him this year, but then on the other hand he has produced moments of class when attacking.

After all we are Salford, we are more often than not going to be under pressure and for me IN MY OPINION I just don't think he's been coping all that well with it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach844No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds transparents/Catbert.gif
:fonds transparents/Catbert.gif

Quote: Ave It! "Ahh resulting to calling me for stupid for having a difference of opinion with you, very grown up!

FWIW I am as impressed as the next man with Pattens attacking ability, but no amount of stats or anything will convince me that his defensive weakness can just be swept under the carpet(Yes maybe his mistakes stand out more being a fullback), but lets face it there has been some absolute shockers by him this year, but then on the other hand he has produced moments of class when attacking.

After all we are Salford, we are more often than not going to be under pressure and for me IN MY OPINION I just don't think he's been coping all that well with it.'"

Your not allowed a different opinion than anyone who is connected to forever reds icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8119
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16412_1394912803.png
Newham Dockers, London Entry League Champions 2013 //www.newhamdockers.co.uk:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16412.png

Quote: king of the shed "I know I'll sound like I think he's Neil Baker or something (which clearly I don't BTW) but just to add to his defence, it's easy to pick out the full back for mistakes as I've said before, but let's look at one of our other golden balls players, say Stef for instance , quality player on his day but compare his stats to PattenPatten - 15
Ratchford - 10

MetersPatten - 1873
Ratchford - 1230

OffloadsPatten - 24
Ratchford - 14

Tackle BustsPatten - 15
Ratchford - 10

Clean BreaksRatchford - 11

Missed TacklesPatten - 33
Ratchford - 42

ErrorsPatten - 21
Ratchford - 24

PenaltiesPatten - 4
Ratchford - 14

Not having a dig at Stef (although he has made the second most errors for us and given away the penalties - think of that next time you say "bloody Jewitt again"
Think the meters stat is a bit misleading ... Patten has had far more carries (371) than Ratchford (17icon_cool.gif, yet on a per carry basis Ratchford actually makes more yards (6.9m vs 5m). This is even more remarkable when you consider the amount of easy yards you'd expect Patten to get from kick returns.

Generally speaking though I think Patten has been a bit under-rated this season. Think if anything those stats highlight the areas Ratchford would need to work on if he was to stay in the centres (offloads, tackle busts, missed tackles).

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9088
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2751.jpg
[img:384wf39t]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/kingoftheshed/salford2.jpg[/img:384wf39t] Les Diables Rouges Originaux - 1934 [color=red:384wf39t][i:384wf39t][b:384wf39t]Founding member of the "Neil Baker is/was/always will be God" Supporters Club (Est. 1985) & still The official No1 (Salford based) Kevin 'Buddha' McGuinness - Supporter![/b:384wf39t][/i:384wf39t][/color:384wf39t]:2751.jpg

Quote: The Original Red Devils "Your not allowed a different opinion than anyone who is connected to forever reds I'm not sure Forever Reds (the posters) is anything to do with the running of Forever reds mate, I'd presume it's merely a name.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18952_1309202725.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18952.jpg

Quote: Diavolo Rosso "
Generally speaking though I think Patten has been a bit under-rated this season.
'"

I agree. Seem to remember Patten being pretty solid under kicks earlier in the season. A couple of cocks ups at Wire and at home vs Quins and he is suddenly an awful defensive player? Not for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Original Red Devils "Your not allowed a different opinion than anyone who is connected to forever reds
Haha i didn't know there was a company to do with salford called Forever Reds, i just see the posters and stuff so i picked it, if you look at my date it shows im new to the sport, just started watching two seasons ago icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6292No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7891.jpg
Salford RLFC Folly ARLFC Good john wilky last looked out on the pitch at salford. when the snow lay round about deep and crisp and even brightly played the lads that night though the frost was cruelllll when poor swinton scored a try we had 94urrrrrrrrrr:7891.jpg

Quote: Karlos13 "I agree. Seem to remember Patten being pretty solid under kicks earlier in the season. A couple of cocks ups at Wire and at home vs Quins and he is suddenly an awful defensive player? Not for me.'"

Not quite true though Karl he's made massive errors all season long and could have prevented many of the try's we have conceded, just go through all our games this year starting with Crusaders at MM and count how many 4 pointers should have been prevented by him.

Right this sounds like I've got it in for and I've not honest! He's miles better than fitzy and IMO the second best attacking fullback in the league behind Hodgson, but as I've already said I just don't think his defensive weaknesses can be brushed to one side just because of his attacking ability.

Anyway I'm leaving it at that now. See you all Sunday or the same 50 of us that always make the trip to Hull KR anyway!

42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3427734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM