JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ken Gill could make the ball talk.:

The ideal site would have been West One, just by the Ladywell tram stop. Excellent for the motorway and public transport links and probably close enough for some of the Willows walk-up fans. It's not out on a limb as Barton seems to be.

The shopping area there is dying on its feet. I think there would have been enough space for the stadium.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1301No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Suggest we concentrate on repeating again and again the ways that our stadium ,and match day experience,needs to be improved. It does.
Discussions about moving or threatening to are pointless and embarrassing.

RankPostsTeam
International Star643No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bonita Red "Suggest we concentrate on repeating again and again the ways that our stadium ,and match day experience,needs to be improved. It does.
Discussions about moving or threatening to are pointless and embarrassing.'"

Trust me this subject has very much been on the clubs agenda, I’ve heard it directly from a very reliable inside source. Why is it a pointless and embarrassing subject to you? The fact is our fanbase has shrunk by about 50% since we moved from the Willows and it needs addressing before even more support falls away.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1301No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Another reliable source?
The Doctor was sold the idea of the whole package,including a central location to develop new support.
The so called match day experience needs to be improved and it has,compared with the first season ,but there's a long way to go,I agree.
There's no way that they'll change locations now.
It defeats logic and I couldn't give a stuff who the reliable source is,it ain't gonna happen.

RankPostsTeam
International Star783No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why not relocate back to the Willows and build a new stadium there,car parking on the old cricket ground

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach710No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10253_1409954005.jpg
[b:6qpd6dos][color=#FF0000:6qpd6dos]Twitter: @yorkshiredevils - rugby league @squeezed_middle - everything else[/color:6qpd6dos][/b:6qpd6dos]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10253.jpg

The truth is, we won't be moving back to The Willows, Boundary Park or anyone else but if Marwan needs to use the threat of this to get what he wants then so be it.

The transport situation does need addressing but, equally, if the match day experience was better then the journey would appear more worthwhile.

The key IMO is wresting control of the stadium from the current management company and asserting authority.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1301No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wayward Fan "The truth is, we won't be moving back to The Willows, Boundary Park or anyone else but if Marwan needs to use the threat of this to get what he wants then so be it.

The transport situation does need addressing but, equally, if the match day experience was better then the journey would appear more worthwhile.

The key IMO is wresting control of the stadium from the current management company and asserting authority.'"

I agree,but any threat needs to be credible to have any chance of working,and threatening to go elsewhere wouldn't frighten anybody

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach710No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10253_1409954005.jpg
[b:6qpd6dos][color=#FF0000:6qpd6dos]Twitter: @yorkshiredevils - rugby league @squeezed_middle - everything else[/color:6qpd6dos][/b:6qpd6dos]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10253.jpg

Quote: Bonita Red "I agree,but any threat needs to be credible to have any chance of working,and threatening to go elsewhere wouldn't frighten anybody'"

I wouldn't be so sure.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5972
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66556.jpg

Quote: Bonita Red "Suggest we concentrate on repeating again and again the ways that our stadium ,and match day experience,needs to be improved. It does.
Discussions about moving or threatening to are pointless and embarrassing.'"

Whether these threats are pointless or not only time will tell, but, they are embarrassing.

Let me get this straight again, your club (sorry old regime) agreed to a move to Barton subsidised by the rate payers of the City on the promise of 8,000 souls turning up every other week to help pay for the rent.

That didn't happen so you get bailed out by the ratepayers but as your shop is rubbish and you can't get a bus to Eccles or a train connection to Rochdale you want to move out, or buy the ground at a knock down price because its just not working for you and your new regime....jokers

RankPostsTeam
International Star2666No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salford Red Devils RLFC. [quote="Gotcha":y7izhg01]Salford won't win Super League in my lifetime. Even saying in jest they would sounds stupid.[/quote:y7izhg01]:

What’s this subsided by the rate payers nonsense you’re talking about. I assume you do know what you’re talking about, right? Regardless what decisions the old regime made I fully expect the new one to do what is right and in the interest of Salford City Reds.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5972
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66556.jpg

Quote: John Gilbert Reds "What’s this subsided by the rate payers nonsense you’re talking about. I assume you do know what you’re talking about, right? Regardless what decisions the old regime made I fully expect the new one to do what is right and in the interest of Salford City Reds.'"

Subsidised, why is it "nonsense" what else would you call it when the City Council agrees to finance and build you a ground that you (not you but the old regime) presumably asked for and couldn't afford and additionally has to find a reported £600k cash injection to keep the stadium management company afloat whilst it is owed a reported £1.5m in rent by you (the club not you personally), or have I misread the situation?

You (the new regime not you) appear to be threatening a move away from Barton to drive a bargain with the City Council that is still reportedly £20m down on the deal, as no one wants a white elephant, or have I again misread the situation?

Doing what is right and in the interests of Salford City Reds is one thing, but, you should try meeting your obligations. Otherwise you are limited to just doing what is in the interests of Salford City Reds and not right at all even undrr a new regime 'flag of convenience'.

jjm
RankPostsTeam
International Star80No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Uncle Rico " you should try meeting your obligations. .'"

Your assertion that Salford were subsisdised by the council is essentially wrong.

The stadium is run by a Joint Venture Company owned by Peel Holdings and Salford City Council. The JVC has developed the land in the interests of its owners. Salford have been treated as tennants and nothing more. They had no say in the design of the stadium and were charged commercial rates for rent. Salford payed for the fitting of the shop, only to be removed when they could not pay the rent. They have not received any financial advantages compared to Sale Sharks.

The JVC is a commercial operation, set up to make a profit. It may well do this in future when the land is developed further.

What is certain is that Salford RLFC have no obligations to the JVC.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator7498
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1055_1445006780.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1055.gif

Quote: jjm "Salord payed for the fitting of the shop, only to be removed when they could not pay the rent.'"

When quizzed on this at Christmas, Wilky said this money was borrowed too. It was the funniest part of the meeting.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member483
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3313_1381932517.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3313.png

Quote: Uncle Rico "Subsidised, why is it "nonsense" what else would you call it when the City Council agrees to finance and build you a ground that you (not you but the old regime) presumably asked for and couldn't afford and additionally has to find a reported £600k cash injection to keep the stadium management company afloat whilst it is owed a reported £1.5m in rent by you (the club not you personally), or have I misread the situation?

You (the new regime not you) appear to be threatening a move away from Barton to drive a bargain with the City Council that is still reportedly £20m down on the deal, as no one wants a white elephant, or have I again misread the situation?

Doing what is right and in the interests of Salford City Reds is one thing, but, you should try meeting your obligations. Otherwise you are limited to just doing what is in the interests of Salford City Reds and not right at all even undrr a new regime 'flag of convenience'.'"

Rico, That is such a ridiculous over simplification of what happened it barely justifies a response, have you taken up writing articles for the Salford Star?

Just to put things in context - the new regime is meeting its obligations in terms of rent due on the stadium now, rent, incidentally that will eventually recover and exceed the initial investment many times over, plus (and this also seems to have slipped under your radar) it is also paying off all the debts of the previous regime through a voluntary CVA.

The irony that not being able to afford the rent following the move which so nearly put paid to the club in totality is not lost on any of us, so to suggest that the new regime should have any obligation to stay at the stadium if it's not the right deal is, actually, nonsense. Even more so, given that the Council allowed Sale Sharks to have a much better deal than their self-professed 'Anchor Tenant'.

Also, had the new regime not come along, then the City Council would have been the proud owners of a City Stadium that would have had no teams playing in it bearing the name of the City and whilst that may have pleased a couple of Councillors and some of Salford's Council Tax payers, I highly doubt that would have been their preferred outcome.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1301No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Look guys,I wish it wasn't so,but without the ratepayers of Salford we wouldn't exist in our present form,if at all.
Whether all the money owed to Salford Council is totally repaid at the end of the day will only be proven in the future.
Forget the technical argument because,for all practical purposes,of course we have been supported by and are indebted to the ratepayers of Salford.
As I say,I wish it wasn't so but it is,unfortunately

61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.50048828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
1m
Max
PopTart
2m