JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32990.jpg

I think British rugby league's in a very stale phase of it's history and it's falling further behind other sports every single year. Long gone are the days of the elite NRL players and union international superstars helping to attract more followers to our sport. To further compound the problems we are losing quality players and it’s only going to get worse as the gulf in salary cap increases. Personally I think RL was substantially more entertaining to watch 2-3 decades ago than it is today. The future going forward is bleak and potentially irreversible and I expect the fall in entertainment levels and interest to be reflected in Sky's next TV deal. The British game needs a massive shot in the arm to revive it but it’s just never going to happen unless the financial shackles placed on clubs are relaxed.

The current system may financially suit some benefactors but it's flawed and it's just making our sport less saleable and less attractive to watch year after year. The sport needs visionaries and speculative investors but we aren’t going to attract them with limiting, narrow minded operating conditions. The problem I see is the decision makers in our sport (club owners) don’t want to or can't invest new money and they’re concerned someone that does could enjoy some success and take their place at the top table. The salary cap may suit many club owners but it’s not the level playing field some say it is. For instance some big and historically successful clubs have a long tradition of attracting local quality kids due to their proximity to some of the best local amateur clubs.

I’ll ask you to consider a question. Do you think Sky would have offered the deal they did back in 1996 had Wigan not put Rugby League back on the map between the 80’s and 90’s with such a huge investment in the sport? And could they have achieved this if they were constrained with a salary cap? If our sport is ever going to expand and improve then surely people need to get their heads out of the sand and stop only thinking about there own circumstances.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Fan with rich owner in 'scrap the cap' shocker!
The salary cap ensures that clubs don't go to the wall trying to keep up with those trying to buy success. Without it, Salford (like many other clubs) would have ceased to exist long ago.
The question of whether the cap should be raised is a different matter. But scrapping it altogether would likely lead to some clubs booming, but most going bust.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4914
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28490_1361478234.jpg
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28490.jpg

Quote: theredshed "I think British rugby league's in a very stale phase of it's history and it's falling further behind other sports every single year. Long gone are the days of the elite NRL players and union international superstars helping to attract more followers to our sport. To further compound the problems we are losing quality players and it’s only going to get worse as the gulf in salary cap increases. Personally I think RL was substantially more entertaining to watch 2-3 decades ago than it is today. The future going forward is bleak and potentially irreversible and I expect the fall in entertainment levels and interest to be reflected in Sky's next TV deal. The British game needs a massive shot in the arm to revive it but it’s just never going to happen unless the financial shackles placed on clubs are relaxed.

The current system may financially suit some benefactors but it's flawed and it's just making our sport less saleable and less attractive to watch year after year. The sport needs visionaries and speculative investors but we aren’t going to attract them with limiting, narrow minded operating conditions. The problem I see is the decision makers in our sport (club owners) don’t want to or can't invest new money and they’re concerned someone that does could enjoy some success and take their place at the top table. The salary cap may suit many club owners but it’s not the level playing field some say it is. For instance some big and historically successful clubs have a long tradition of attracting local quality kids due to their proximity to some of the best local amateur clubs.

I’ll ask you to consider a question. Do you think Sky would have offered the deal they did back in 1996 had Wigan not put Rugby League back on the map between the 80’s and 90’s with such a huge investment in the sport? And could they have achieved this if they were constrained with a salary cap? If our sport is ever going to expand and improve then surely people need to get their heads out of the sand and stop only thinking about there own circumstances.'"

Hello Marwan!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32990.jpg

I'm not a fan anymore and I haven't attended a game this year due to being totally disallusioned with the sport. Sadly the game is dying a slow death in it's present format. Just because there's no cap wouldn't mean clubs would go bust. It's a total myth used often as a counter argument for scraping the cap. History proves that clubs survived 100 plus years before the cap. The main reason for the cap is for owners to remain owners year after year without having to dip their hand further in their pockets. All this achieves is preventing new money being invested in the sport.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: theredshed "I'm not a fan anymore and I haven't attended a game this year due to being totally disallusioned with the sport. Sadly the game is dying a slow death in it's present format. Just because there's no cap wouldn't mean clubs would go bust. It's a total myth used often as a counter argument for scraping the cap. History proves that clubs survived 100 plus years before the cap. The main reason for the cap is for owners to remain owners without having to dip their hand further in their pockets. All this achieves is preventing new money being invested in the sport.'"

Even if clubs didn't go bust, it would mean some teams can buy their way to success, constantly stealing the best players from other clubs and leaving them with less support, therefore less money, therefore even less chance of competing.
Essentially, because you have a rich owner you expect to buy success. Maybe football could fill the gap you have now you are no longer watching RL?
Having said that, I do think the cap needs raising.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg

Quote: nottinghamtiger "Even if clubs didn't go bust, it would mean some teams can buy their way to success, constantly stealing the best players from other clubs and leaving them with less support, therefore less money, therefore even less chance of competing.
Essentially, because you have a rich owner you expect to buy success. Maybe football could fill the gap you have now you are no longer watching RL?
Having said that, I do think the cap needs raising.'"

I've watched this sport for years and it's always a small pool of clubs that have most of the success. This is mainly down to a long tradition of bigger support and their strong links with better quality local amateur clubs. What was wrong with a Man City or a Chelsea investing big money and enjoying/sustaining a share of the glory? In my view it's helped take football in England & Wales to a whole new level as the huge increase in Sky money shows.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: theredshed "I've watched this sport for years and it's always a small pool of clubs that have most of the success. This is mainly down to a long tradition of bigger support and their strong links with better quality local amateur clubs. What was wrong with a Man City or a Chelsea investing big money and enjoying/sustaining a share of the glory? In my view it's helped take football in England & Wales to a whole new level as the huge increase in Sky money shows.'"

Yes, I thought the same when I watched the England national team. Or all the club teams get knocked out of Europe even though they are seeded in groups and should really make the quarter finals.
I think we are just about to see some further clubs gain success in RL. Hull FC and Warrington look set for a good tilt at becoming champions. In the past two years Hull KR and Cas have been in the cup final. I agree that we now need trophies to be spread more evenly, however scrapping the salary cap would surely mean an even smaller pool of clubs having the chance of success?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg

Just remind me what decade did GB/England last win a test series against Australia? The difference is regardless of England's continual failure since 66 and our clubs lack of success in Europe over the past few seasons football is still thriving financially.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: theredshed "Just remind me what decade did GB/England last win a test series against Australia? The difference is regardless of England's continual failure since 66 and our clubs lack of success in Europe over the past few seasons football is still thriving financially.'"

Indeed. Football is thriving, but how many of the clubs are? Most are run at a massive loss and are always on the edge of collapse should a rich owner decide to walk away.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1602.jpg
Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time; Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme. There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify; Political ends, as sad remains, will die.:1602.jpg

"Most are run at a massive loss and are always on the edge of collapse should a rich owner decide to walk away."
but they don't.

Let's ignore football as it is so embedded into the national way of thinking that no sport can compete .

RedShed does have a point: I do worry about this game. It needs people at the ground to provide income and atmosphere but going to a sports match (bar football) is in decline. The game is becoming slow (largely down to not policing tackles IMO). We do not have the status of |RU. At least we are not as badly off as cricket (bar T20).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg

I agree that rugby league has always and will always be a million miles behind football. The closest the sport came to football was probably around the 1930’s but over the past decade rugby league hasn’t progressed whilst football has grown at an epic pace.

The point I was making about Wigan from around the early 1980’s was how a few wealthy individuals helped transform a sport that was in decline. Wigan signed world class players from the NRL and union that put bums on seats home and away and raised the bar. The problem is If the bar isn’t being raised clubs then function within their financial comfort zone and the sport becomes more predictable and stagnant. If clubs (like at present) can operate at full cap with their existing income levels there becomes less need/urgency to go out and find new money/investors or market themselves and the sport much better. I just feel the game is crying out for a shake up because standing still with no new money coming into the game isn't going to promote growth.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman3174
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
986.jpg
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth." "What on earth are you talking about?":986.jpg

It's a BIG question , & 1 with so many permutations .
both on a local - national level .

I don't think the sport is stale ,
maybe after 40 odd years of watching it , it's just me .

Issue is attracting new support & young fans , in a world when 6 yr old kids have smart phones ..

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: nottinghamtiger "Fan with rich owner in 'scrap the cap' shocker!
The salary cap ensures that clubs don't go to the wall trying to keep up with those trying to buy success. Without it, Salford (like many other clubs) would have ceased to exist long ago.
The question of whether the cap should be raised is a different matter. But scrapping it altogether would likely lead to some clubs booming, but most going bust.'"

I don't disagree with your comments, however the cap should have been raised long before now, what was good for the game 20 years ago does not apply now, look how other sports have excelled, not one with restricted practices.
I also used to religiously attend the challenge cup final up to 2 years ago, this prestige competition is losing the neutral fan year on year, the rugby league can continue to massage the corporate seats as sold when the actual crowds are nearer 60,000 than the 100,000 of yesteryear.
Now I am not a fan of MK & the ongoing dispute is having such a negative effect on the club & its fans, season ticket holders are disillusioned & are no longer attending match, I have personally given up try to attract the casual fan.
Clearly MK was sold a lemon & promised the earth & looking from his prospective, if the only income he receives is the revenue from gate receipts & merchandise then the only way he can maybe grow the club is only by attracting a better package on the field, failure to do this will only leave him putting his hand in pocket season after season to prop up another failing club, surely this is not good for the game.

Finally the issue around the cap for me only goes to show how weak our sport is, clearly very few clubs can stand on there own two feet, not really a good endorsement!

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Wigan didn't invest in the sport. They didn't even invest in Wigan. They just spent money they didn't have. Anyone can do that. And it nearly killed the sport.

The reason the sport is in the state it is now is because of the hugely short-sighted, short term decisions made in the 70's, 80's and early 90's.
Nobody invested in club facilities or infrastructure and nobody invested in the sport infrastructure. So when changes in society and the media happened we were left massively behind.

We don't need to spend on players. We aren't going to get the likes of Cameron Smith over here, it's not going to happen. It doesn't matter how much we pay because they want to play SOO.
The union players either aren't up to it or are the wrong type of player for League.

Instead of spending, we need to invest. In our sport, in our club infrastructure, in our marketing, in our community engagement and in our amateur game.
That is what will bring people through the doors, not spending millions of pounds we don't have for 10 years until we all go bust again.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "Wigan didn't invest in the sport. They didn't even invest in Wigan. They just spent money they didn't have. Anyone can do that. And it nearly killed the sport.

The reason the sport is in the state it is now is because of the hugely short-sighted, short term decisions made in the 70's, 80's and early 90's.
Nobody invested in club facilities or infrastructure and nobody invested in the sport infrastructure. So when changes in society and the media happened we were left massively behind.

We don't need to spend on players. We aren't going to get the likes of Cameron Smith over here, it's not going to happen. It doesn't matter how much we pay because they want to play SOO.
The union players either aren't up to it or are the wrong type of player for League.

Instead of spending, we need to invest. In our sport, in our club infrastructure, in our marketing, in our community engagement and in our amateur game.
That is what will bring people through the doors, not spending millions of pounds we don't have for 10 years until we all go bust again.'"

Don't disagree with anything you have written but do you really think the present system is working! as a life long supporter who follows not only my local club but attends internationals, challenge cup finals, premiership finals really cannot be d anymore, unfortunately I am not alone, this does not look like a sport on the way up but going down.
I maybe in the minority but what is the Canadian project all about! for me we should be putting this money into the grassroots of our game. When I was in school in Salford in the 60s we played rugby in every school in Salford, your lucky if a school plays rugby! The rugby league have announced big profits, try putting it back into the development of the game.

21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.65087890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Jack Burton
3m
Leigh it is
Warrior Wing
14m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
17m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
18m
Rumours thread
JINJER
42m
Squad 2024
faxcar
51m
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
Recent
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
UllFC
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
karetaker
40s
Rumours thread
JINJER
1m
Planning for next season
Septimius Se
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
2m
Whitehaven Away
the fax in a
2m
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
2m
Squad 2024
faxcar
4m
Cokey
5m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
6m
norbellini
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Cokey
TODAY
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Mr Snoodle
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
karetaker
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
Warrior Wing
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
TODAY
Must do better
Wires71
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Break Saints Hearts With Golden Point Win
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +11,810 ↑2580,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22