JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

One of the most exciting games I've seen in a long time. I know they are exciting when they're close but this had nearly everything.

I thought we were excellent in the first half, especially the kicking game and we really took advantage when we had the ball in their half. I think that was the best 40 minutes kicking I've seen from Holdsworth and Smith. The only reason we ended up behind was because of an absolutely shocking set of decisions by the ref and the missed obstruction was a unbelievable. Our attacking play in that half was excellent and the forwards were making good ground throughout

In the second half we defended our line really well, I lost count of the number of sets they had so to restrict them to one try was brilliant. thankfully Hull's discipline didn't improve and getting a couple of penalties took us up the field for Ashurst's try. To win a scrum against the head was great to see and there should have been another one - the ball was still in the scrum when Horne dropped on it, another blatant penalty. Gleeson's try was top quality - the play the ball was right in front of us and Holdsworth was telling Gleeson, Patten and the others exactly where he wanted them. Couldn't see what was wrong with the no try for Gibson so I'd like to see that again.

Holdsworth holding his nerve to kick the winning penalty was tremendous and somehow we kept them out for that last set. I can't remember many times we've let a 10 point lead slip, come from behind twice, spent so much time in our own half and go onto to win a game. It bodes very well for the rest of the season and maybe answers the question about our levels of fitness

Hats off to Hull for making it such a good game. the lying on in the tackle was annoying but that's up to the ref to sort - if he doesn't you can't blame players for doing it. Good noisy following from their fans too

Holdsworth was man of the match for me, with plenty of players just behind. good to hear some atmosphere in the new stadium, i think the whole west stand was singing and chanting at the end. Loved it

RankPostsTeam
International Star347No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59792_1310683391.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59792.jpg

Always feel so much better coming home after a win icon_biggrin.gif. Great game tonight, and a great win for Salford. It's rare we win a last minute penalty sorta game. Was nervy towards the end, but thankfully we hung on. We played solid on the whole tonight, it seemed as though we'd let the game completely slip at some points, but we had the character to come back.

The ref wasn't the best, far from it. How that wasn't an obstruction I'll never know. Can't complain too much though I suppose, we got the points.

Decent following from Hull and a decent atmosphere, can't wait for next week now icon_biggrin.gif. Great opportunity to get 3 wins on the trot.

RankPostsTeam
International Star37No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2012Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: RedUnderTheBed "One of the most exciting games I've seen in a long time. I know they are exciting when they're close but this had nearly everything.

I thought we were excellent in the first half, especially the kicking game and we really took advantage when we had the ball in their half. I think that was the best 40 minutes kicking I've seen from Holdsworth and Smith. The only reason we ended up behind was because of an absolutely shocking set of decisions by the ref and the missed obstruction was a unbelievable. Our attacking play in that half was excellent and the forwards were making good ground throughout

In the second half we defended our line really well, I lost count of the number of sets they had so to restrict them to one try was brilliant. thankfully Hull's discipline didn't improve and getting a couple of penalties took us up the field for Ashurst's try. To win a scrum against the head was great to see and there should have been another one - the ball was still in the scrum when Horne dropped on it, another blatant penalty. Patten's try was top quality - the play the ball was right in front of us and Holdsworth was telling Gleeson, Patten and the others exactly where he wanted them. Couldn't see what was wrong with the no try for Gibson so I'd like to see that again.

Holdsworth holding his nerve to kick the winning penalty was tremendous and somehow we kept them out for that last set. I can't remember many times we've let a 10 point lead slip, come from behind twice, spent so much time in our own half and go onto to win a game. It bodes very well for the rest of the season and maybe answers the question about our levels of fitness

Hats off to Hull for making it such a good game. the lying on in the tackle was annoying but that's up to the ref to sort - if he doesn't you can't blame players for doing it. Good noisy following from their fans too

Holdsworth was man of the match for me, with plenty of players just behind. good to hear some atmosphere in the new stadium, i think the whole west stand was singing and chanting at the end. Loved it'"

Agree with all that and as I have said in previous posts the team will do for me! Been to all pre season games and all 4 super league matches and vievers and long doing great job! U can see the progression.
Despite the excitement at the end it is still a sad state of affairs. Did it snow in Salford tonight? Was it minus 7? Was it on tv? Was it an unattractive fixture? Was it saturday tea time? Obviously NO! Hull brought at least 2000 and the crowd was less than last home match! One match into our super league life at a brand new stadium and a whole stand is shut!
People came on here and all used the above excuses when I moaned after Cas match. Well what are the excuses now? It's about the team some say, well if thats the case we went into this on the back of our best half of rugby at saints for 5 years and a great win at widnes! Logically then, with an almost balmy night for late February, a Friday night kick off, not on tv, good opposition, a new stadium and a bit of form, you would expect at least 8000 to turn up.
Team great, crowds a disaster!
Someone please explain to me why 2500 school kids can't fill the east stand with free tkts. The residual spend alone would be worth it not to mention promoting our great product to a wider audience. The club off the field need to take a long hard look at themselves!!

RankPostsTeam
International Star27No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Great finish tonight! Thought Howarth was superb again. Nice to win a game we would normally have lost towards the end.

RankPostsTeam
International Star347No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59792_1310683391.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59792.jpg

Didn't hear the attendance being announced, says 5186 on the Super League website though. Not too disappointed with that, big increase on the same fixture last year - at least they're going up. Do think the East stand could've been opened up though, to schoolkids maybe. But that's distracting from what's been a great night and a great performance icon_biggrin.gif.

RankPostsTeam
International Star37No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2012Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MotörRed "Didn't hear the attendance being announced, says 5186 on the Super League website though. Not too disappointed with that, big increase on the same fixture last year - at least they're going up. Do think the East stand could've been opened up though, to schoolkids maybe. But that's distracting from what's been a great night and a great performance Could not disagree, great night but we only had 2000 paying punters from Salford when you take off the 600 corporates!

RankPostsTeam
International Star37No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2012Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MotörRed "Didn't hear the attendance being announced, says 5186 on the Super League website though. Not too disappointed with that, big increase on the same fixture last year - at least they're going up. Do think the East stand could've been opened up though, to schoolkids maybe. But that's distracting from what's been a great night and a great performance Last year just shy of 4000! Hull brought 500! Our crowd has gone down!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20348.jpg
Cuddle Club Rules 1. You dont talk about Cuddle club 2. YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT CUDDLE CLUB!!!! PS3 tag = Robbo_4444:20348.jpg

Congrats on the win. Really poor discipline ended up costing us but hopefully that will improve as the season goes on. Nice stadium but a shame about the lack of home support, hopefully you will have a good year and get some more fans coming, although if you do that bloody carpark will really need sorting out!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach264No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: shedite "Last year just shy of 4000! Hull brought 500! Our crowd has gone down!'"

I'll have what ever your on if your serioulsy think Hull on brought 500 tonight!?! If you on about last season I'd go for the 800 mark. The crowd tonight as in and around the 5k mark which is still very dissappointing looking at the FC support.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16.jpg
:16.jpg

Looking as an outsider, i can understand why you are disappointed with your attendances, however at the Willows you were getting around 3500 for fixtures against the likes of Hull and Castleford, now you are getting 5k+.
Thats quite a significant improvement and is something you can build upon.

I would suggest that your probably on for an average attendance of around 6k this year, possibly more if the reds start to take a few more scalps from respected opposition such as Hull.
After the pre season doom and gloom by some of you, your side is actually looking like it might be a useful outfit. One capable of making the playoffs.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: The Chair Maker "After the pre season doom and gloom by some of you, your side is actually looking like it might be a useful outfit. One capable of making the playoffs.'"

I thought it looked a useful outfit last season too but I think the difference is that this season they have decent coaching staff and some stability in the club.

RankPostsTeam
International Star463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2013Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Well i`m off back to work now with a spring in me step an a smile on me kipper,top performance,what pleased me most was once we went behind we did`nt throw the towel in,we hung on in and came back,excellent.Now the coaching staff and players are getting it right on the field we need the management to get theirs together,another thing imo is that stadium is crying out for Sunday afternoon kickoffs.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13977_1335458918.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13977.jpg

Quote: mitie mouse "another thing imo is that stadium is crying out for Sunday afternoon kickoffs.'"

Absolutely

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach842No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ken Gill could make the ball talk.:

A magnificent performance for me!

I thought we gave it 100% throughout and hung on against a team that was bigger and stronger than us. Their pack was better than ours and made it difficult for us to make yards. They were making ten metres at every play the ball and we were lucky if we were making five as their defensive line was up in our faces so quickly! Mr Bentham appeared to see nothing wrong with this all match - or at least until the 89th minute! We won because of the effort, determination and guts of the team in defence, the flair of our half backs and three-quarters and the ill-discipline of a Hull side that gave away penalties for fun.

All the seventeen can take credit for last night. For what it's worth I thought Daniel Holdsworth was magnificent, all the backs had really good moments and that all the forwards battled superbly all match long, with Lee Jewitt having the best game I've seen him have in a Salford shirt.

One thing's for sure - if we can produce performances like that every week we'll have more supporters coming through the turnstiles and they'll be going home happy. More of the same please - 100% effort and a willingness to move the ball wide. After three and a half years of five drives and a kick it was a joy to watch last night. It made me realise why I go!

RankPostsTeam
International Star783No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I believe we only have a safety certificate for 9000, that,s why the East stand is closedI fully expected more there last night following our recent performances
I remember in the 1960,s watching us beat Hull 11-10 in front of 9000 at the willows it was a shock result but we went on to have a decade of top class
rugby, who knows is history repeating itself. I hope so

27 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
27 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.41064453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM