FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > A better way?
112 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: SBR "Player's ability changes over time. Just because a player played for GB in 2001 you are saying they are the same as a player who has been a regular international for years. Go back to any point in history simply increases the range of quality of players you have in your 'star' group.'"
No im not, im saying that it would be up to a coach to build the best squad they could under these considerations.

Quote: SBR "You've opened it up to a huge number of players by including those who played for Wales and Ireland. Making it incredibly difficult for players who have represented these teams (who range in quality massively) to make it in SL.'"

the number isnt that big. You are massively over-estimating it again.

If a player isnt good enough to get a spot, they arent good enough to get a spot.

Quote: SBR "
There is a system that has been invented that closely matches a players value to a team to how much they count under the cap. It's called a salary cap. For instance Solomona will cost less to Warrington than he did to Bradford as a reflection of his loss of form since that tri nations victory.'"
No it doesnt. If this were the case we could simply pay players centrally and share them between clubs, but as we know there are many many variables which go into which team and for how much a player decides to play.

Ellis for instance choosing to play for leeds for less than he was offered at Wakefield. Hardly sharing the talent. In fact in this instance the SC only entrenched the positions

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Dico "At 21 years of age and looked way out of his depth for three years i'd still take him over D Hodgson, Gilmour, Wild (shot to pieces), Reardon, Platt, Sykes, Calderwood, Cusack and Lauaki all of which offer absolutely nothing as 'stars' in a team. He's bloody gash but at least K. Penny can do something special once in a while'"

I disagree, i would take all those players over Penny.

And that is where the quality of coach comes in. If he thinks he can get better value from Penny he is free to pick him up

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2912No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25057_1281800333.jpeg
www.hullrockers.co.uk:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25057.jpeg

Quote: SmokeyTA "They would need to lose some of the players they have brought in. I am more than happy for us to improve ourselves and the quality of our league through developing quality young players. It is the sustainable way'"

We're in agreement there. The development of young players is not an overnight thing though is it and clubs are at different stages of their youth development maturity.

Hull KR for example being relative newcomers to SL are still a bit behind many other clubs, while we have brought some players through to the SL squad from our youth development system, by all accounts our best prospects are still in the under 18's (where we have more or less had parity in recruitment with our more established neighbours) so it may be a few years yet before this system (or at least this aspect of it) would be entirely fair.

Perhaps it might be more viable if the intention to implement this system was declared for some stage in the future, allowing all clubs a resonable time to bring their youth development system to a broadly similar level.

Even then there is still the prospect of wealthy teams signing up the best young talent because they can pay more than other clubs in that area.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Barnacle Bill "We're in agreement there. The development of young players is not an overnight thing though is it and clubs are at different stages of their youth development maturity.

Hull KR for example being relative newcomers to SL are still a bit behind many other clubs, while we have brought some players through to the SL squad from our youth development system, by all accounts our best prospects are still in the under 18's (where we have more or less had parity in recruitment with our more established neighbours) so it may be a few years yet before this system (or at least this aspect of it) would be entirely fair.'"
I dont disagree that Hull KR may be behind in this respect. And we all know the reason why.

So, if we are to 'play fair' they should be behind the other clubs in the league. Yes they should be given time to get their house in order, but whilst they are doing that they dont deserve to be given a 'leg up' at the expense of other SL clubs.

Quote: Barnacle Bill "
Perhaps it might be more viable if the intention to implement this system was declared for some stage in the future, allowing all clubs a resonable time to bring their youth development system to a broadly similar level.'"
waiting for Hull KR to catch up isnt really a sensible or fair option.
Even then there is still the prospect of wealthy teams signing up the best young talent because they can pay more than other clubs in that area.'"
competition for youth isnt a bad thing, and i cant imagine 'huge' amounts of money being thrown at 16/17 year olds which is when they would need to be getting them

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2912No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25057_1281800333.jpeg

Quote: SmokeyTA "I dont disagree that Hull KR may be behind in this respect. And we all know the reason why.

So, if we are to 'play fair' they should be behind the other clubs in the league. Yes they should be given time to get their house in order, but whilst they are doing that they dont deserve to be given a 'leg up' at the expense of other SL clubs.

waiting for Hull KR to catch up isnt really a sensible or fair option.
competition for youth isnt a bad thing, and i cant imagine 'huge' amounts of money being thrown at 16/17 year olds which is when they would need to be getting them'"

I used Hull KR as an example. The same would apply to any newly/recently promoted team. I imagine that Widnes or Leigh currently cannot compete for the best young players in their area and would not be able to until being in SL for 4 or 5 years or at least it would take that long before they saw the benefit of that in their SL squad.

I can easily imagine enough being thrown at the cream of the young talent for some clubs to be disadvantaged by more cash rich neighbours. I don't suppose it would take a fortune to persuade a really good young player to travel a few miles further.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

true that.
But then again, isnt that what we want? the best athletes/youngsters in an area being tempted to league?
just saying like..

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2912No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25057_1281800333.jpeg

Quote: Dico "true that.
But then again, isnt that what we want? the best athletes/youngsters in an area being tempted to league?
just saying like..'"

Well that is another side to the argument and one which I hadn't previously considered. Yes, if the elimination of a monetary cap resulted in young players choosing RL over another sport that could be a positive.

My argument was solely considering the lads who play RL and will probably only play RL. In which case I'm not convinced that say Leeds wouldn't be able to use their cash resources to entice the best young players in West Yorkshire with the promise of higher salaries both immediately and in SL. Of course these players would then "cost" Leeds the same points as the "lesser" players that Wakey/Cas would bring through, being the ones left after Leeds had cherry picked the best.

I'm not saying it would happen, just that it could and the history of RL has shown if a club can "buy" an advantage, then they will regardless of the long term consequences for the game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Barnacle Bill "I used Hull KR as an example. The same would apply to any newly/recently promoted team. I imagine that Widnes or Leigh currently cannot compete for the best young players in their area and would not be able to until being in SL for 4 or 5 years or at least it would take that long before they saw the benefit of that in their SL squad. '"

it would indeed, at that always would and will be the case. I dont mind them being given 4 or 5 years to see that benefit, what i object to is them being allowed to buy loads in overseas players and pay lots of money to them so they can finish ahead of other SL teams who are investing in youth, and giving them the chance in the first team. Harlequins for example have spent the last 3 or 4 years pretty much struggling because of the investment they have made in the youngsters which is only now even beginning to show any benefit, Hull KR meanwhile have brought through next to no youngsters, have lots and lots of overseas players and seen the play-offs. I dont think that is really 'fair'.

I can easily imagine enough being thrown at the cream of the young talent for some clubs to be disadvantaged by more cash rich neighbours. I don't suppose it would take a fortune to persuade a really good young player to travel a few miles further.'"
exactly, it doesnt take a fortune, or even a meaningful amount of money. Pay isnt really the issue at that age, the differences will be pretty much miniscule. What will convince players is the facilities, the size of the club, the coaches, their history of giving youngsters a go all these things will be much more important to any 17 year old who actually has the mentality to make it than what will in effect be maybe £1k

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Barnacle Bill "Well that is another side to the argument and one which I hadn't previously considered. Yes, if the elimination of a monetary cap resulted in young players choosing RL over another sport that could be a positive.

My argument was solely considering the lads who play RL and will probably only play RL. In which case I'm not convinced that say Leeds wouldn't be able to use their cash resources to entice the best young players in West Yorkshire with the promise of higher salaries both immediately and in SL. Of course these players would then "cost" Leeds the same points as the "lesser" players that Wakey/Cas would bring through, being the ones left after Leeds had cherry picked the best.

I'm not saying it would happen, just that it could and the history of RL has shown if a club can "buy" an advantage, then they will regardless of the long term consequences for the game.'"
this will happen. I have no doubt about it, clubs will be forced to scout from all areas (which to a degree they do now) and that will mean overlap and it will mean competition. This isnt a bad thing, it will force us to look in places we havent looked at before, look in new geographical areas, get scouts down at athletics meets looking at the sprinters, get them in gyms looking at wrestlers and boxers.
These things are good for the sport.

and as i said the wage difference is going to be miniscule, our young players dont get paid enough to make a real difference

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2912No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25057_1281800333.jpeg

Quote: SmokeyTA "it would indeed, at that always would and will be the case. I dont mind them being given 4 or 5 years to see that benefit, what i object to is them being allowed to buy loads in overseas players and pay lots of money to them so they can finish ahead of other SL teams who are investing in youth, and giving them the chance in the first team. Harlequins for example have spent the last 3 or 4 years pretty much struggling because of the investment they have made in the youngsters which is only now even beginning to show any benefit, Hull KR meanwhile have brought through next to no youngsters, have lots and lots of overseas players and seen the play-offs. I dont think that is really 'fair'.'"

Hull KR have conformed, at all times, with the requirements regarding players as set out by the RFL and been able to contribute to the health of the competition by fielding (for the most part) a strong team. Why do you have a problem with that?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Barnacle Bill "Hull KR have conformed, at all times, with the requirements regarding players as set out by the RFL and been able to contribute to the health of the competition by fielding (for the most part) a strong team. Why do you have a problem with that?'"
If you want to take a naive view of the situation thats your choice.

we both know that Hull KRs return in regards to youth development is because they have prioritised their first team, where they needed to receive dispensation for overseas players, over youth development.
The reasons for this isnt the issue.

The point I am making is it is very much less than ideal for clubs who have invested in youth development to lose out because of that.

Under this system a club like Hull KR would be behind the 8 ball in terms of recruitment in comparison to a club like Quins until the youth development was of a similar level.

Where is the incentive to make these long term and possibly unpopular with the home support, but never the less integral, investments in developing more youngsters if your success isnt dependent on it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I dont agree with Smokey about this but that point is true.
Its a fact that all the best SL teams are big homegrown/British core with 4 or 5 top class imports. You cant buy a team of aussies and get anywhere near realistically challenging.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2912No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25057_1281800333.jpeg

Quote: SmokeyTA "If you want to take a naive view of the situation thats your choice.

we both know that Hull KRs return in regards to youth development is because they have prioritised their first team, where they needed to receive dispensation for overseas players, over youth development.
The reasons for this isnt the issue.

The point I am making is it is very much less than ideal for clubs who have invested in youth development to lose out because of that.

Under this system a club like Hull KR would be behind the 8 ball in terms of recruitment in comparison to a club like Quins until the youth development was of a similar level.

Where is the incentive to make these long term and possibly unpopular with the home support, but never the less integral, investments in developing more youngsters if your success isnt dependent on it?'"

But that is the point of the reducing quota and increasing home grown requirement and the consequence of franchise applications being awarded on a range of criteria.

It is ludicrous to criticise one club for taking one strategy (while conforming to all the RFL requirements) and praise another for taking a different strategy (while conforming to all the RFL requirements).

Hull KR could have taken a different approach (promoting youngsters not ready or not good enough) which would have been cheaper. That would have made the financial side of the next bid stronger at the same time weakening the on field contribution, it's all swings and roundabouts. And the point you are completley missing here is that with a range of different criteria highlighting the importance of different areas of the business it is not surprising at all that at different times different clubs will have different priorities.

The real test of whether Hull KR have got the balance right will be if the get awarded another franchise.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

But when teams start applying for exemptions its a joke imo.
Anyway I laid out my stall:
Maximum 5 OVERSEAS (not all these stupid exemptions) players.
10%ish decrease on current cap for homegrown players.
10% increase on current cap for overseas players.
Gradual increase in cap after 2012.

Best way to go, you know it. I know it. My dog even knows it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Barnacle Bill "But that is the point of the reducing quota and increasing home grown requirement and the consequence of franchise applications being awarded on a range of criteria.

It is ludicrous to criticise one club for taking one strategy (while conforming to all the RFL requirements) and praise another for taking a different strategy (while conforming to all the RFL requirements).'"
No it isnt. We should be praising teams for making that investment in the long term stability of the sport, We should be praising them when the give a shot to youngsters, we should be praising them for putting the structures in place to give the best chance to the youngsters of their area, and we should criticise them when they dont, we should criticise them when they hide behind overseas players, exemptions and dispensations to cover up for the fact they havent invested in youth.

Hull KR could have taken a different approach (promoting youngsters not ready or not good enough) which would have been cheaper. That would have made the financial side of the next bid stronger at the same time weakening the on field contribution, it's all swings and roundabouts. And the point you are completley missing here is that with a range of different criteria highlighting the importance of different areas of the business it is not surprising at all that at different times different clubs will have different priorities.'"
They will have different priorities, they always will. But after 100 years to not have a decent youth policy already in place is embarrassing. We should make youth development a higher priority, force it to be a higher priority for all clubs

Quote: Barnacle Bill "The real test of whether Hull KR have got the balance right will be if the get awarded another franchise.'"
thats fairly unambitious, at some point as a sport we are going to need to move on from our ambition being just to survive to improving and growing

112 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
112 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.6044921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
28m
Leigh it is
Zig
38m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
micktheleyth
39m
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
56m
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
Recent
Betting 2024
karetaker
Recent
Grand final Tickets
Azul
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
Recent
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Play-off semi-final
Prince Buste
26s
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
Mild Rover
31s
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
34s
Betting 2024
karetaker
36s
Rumours thread
PopTart
46s
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
1m
Grand final Tickets
Azul
1m
Championship Awards
FIL
1m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
1m
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
Azul
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
bentleyman
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
micktheleyth
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,405 ↑21480,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
York
27-10
Widnes
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
 FT 
Wigan
38-0
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan38-0Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH
LIVE
York27-10Widnes
SL
LIVE
Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22