Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7078_1361913407.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7078.jpg

Quote: Mild mannered Janitor "But it's not 13 months ago now. We hav know for a while that the attendance have been masked by the club Wembley seats. Now, when the actual figure is sub 70k it sends out a strong message of diminished interest.

Cardiff did not struggle to sell out. Perhaps it's time for a return'"

Cardiff was before Catalans entered Super League giving fans a weekend away and before Magic Weekend was introduced. Also it was only 2005 when the Final was moved to August.

All these have an effect on the Cup Final attendances, if we moved the final to Cardiff next season the attendance wouldn't be much different to what we saw on Saturday. Obviously 68k in the Principality Stadium would look better than in Wembley as the capacity is 16k lower.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29554
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Quote: craig hkr "Very easy to say as your team won but if that Burgess forward pass try right at end Wigan had kick to win (not much chance of success I will agree)the touch judge was happy with it. Bentham called it forward.it was forward no doubt but the touchy waved play on'"

The touch judge stood still and didn't follow burgess which means he saw the forward pass I'd have thought

RankPostsTeam
International Star374No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If Wigan had been the better team I think more fingers would have been pointed at the refs but Hull were better on the day and got the win. Touchie also missed Burgess being taken out late at least 2 seconds after putting a kick through but that's sport. I think Bentham was pretty poor and missed several for both sides. From a Wigan perspective, to have gone through the first 20 minutes of the second half with 80% territory (and a similar figure for possession) and still come away with 3 scores each shows how good their defense was. Their attack however was woeful and Sneyd absolutely showed bow Williams and Leuleuai up for their in field kicking. Not once did they kick into that patch of sun. Simple high kicks when Hull's wingers are so much more dominant than Wigan's is just stupid. I was crying for a grubber kick behind and let Marshall/Burgess try and outpace their opposite number but it never happened.

C'est la vie - best team won and it was a close, intense game so that's all you can ask for. Shout out to the 60 year old Hull fan sat in the Wigan end with the express purpose of winding Wiganers up calling them every name under the sun and pushing them when the team made a mistake. I'm sure there was experiences like that in the other end and it's a shame that it put a real dampener on those around us. I can't wrap my head around it. His team won and instead of singing and celebrating the win with other fans, he celebrated on his own surrounded by other fans. I know which I'd rather do.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9877
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28231_1332863667.jpeg
YEAH LIKE WHATEVER! TEAM UP! TEAM UP!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28231.jpeg

Maybe Wigan fans will correct me but George Williams doesn't seem to have improved much at all. Expected him to seriously rip it up this year with a move to the NRL in a year or so ala Tomkins.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14986
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: secondstanza "If Wigan had been the better team I think more fingers would have been pointed at the refs but Hull were better on the day and got the win. Touchie also missed Burgess being taken out late at least 2 seconds after putting a kick through but that's sport. I think Bentham was pretty poor and missed several for both sides. From a Wigan perspective, to have gone through the first 20 minutes of the second half with 80% territory (and a similar figure for possession) and still come away with 3 scores each shows how good their defense was. Their attack however was woeful and Sneyd absolutely showed bow Williams and Leuleuai up for their in field kicking. Not once did they kick into that patch of sun. Simple high kicks when Hull's wingers are so much more dominant than Wigan's is just stupid. I was crying for a grubber kick behind and let Marshall/Burgess try and outpace their opposite number but it never happened.

C'est la vie - best team won and it was a close, intense game so that's all you can ask for. Shout out to the 60 year old Hull fan sat in the Wigan end with the express purpose of winding Wiganers up calling them every name under the sun and pushing them when the team made a mistake. I'm sure there was experiences like that in the other end and it's a shame that it put a real dampener on those around us. I can't wrap my head around it. His team won and instead of singing and celebrating the win with other fans, he celebrated on his own surrounded by other fans. I know which I'd rather do.'"

Likewise, i was in the Hull end and had a Wigan fan sat across the aisle from me calling Hull players all sorts of names, Kelly came in for quite a bit of verbals from him, and before anyone starts, no i wasn't offended so didn't feel the need to say anything or report it, one or 2 told him to shurrup and sit down but i think it was more frustration at his own team and in the end the majority just ignored him and let him get on with it.

What was more annoying was the family of Hull fans who between the 4 adults got up to go to the bar/bog/food kiosk a total of 16 times between them in 80 minutes, that's before we had the mum doing the pop, hotdog and loo run with the kids....one guy missed 3 Hull tries cos he wasn't in his seat....surely you'd be more interested in the game than the next 4 bottles of beer but each to their own.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16975No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

On the crowd issue, I have been to new Wembley 4 times now (2008, 2013, 2016 & 2017) and I don't think Hull have taken a massively different number to all 4 finals (possibly more in 2008, less in 2013) but what has been noticeable is the decline in neutral fans.

You used to see whole blocks of coach trips, club/pub trips, junior RL teams, this year when Hull score about 75% of the ground cheered, and not just because Wigan are unpopular in RL!

I don't feel the August Bank Holiday is the right date for this game anymore, it is too near the end of the season (Hull now have to face Leeds in a crucial game on Thursday with a short turnaround whilst still having victory parade today)

it is also one of the busiest weekends of the year for other events, there has been Creamfields over in Cheshire, Leeds fest in Yorkshire, a full football programme, the McGregor-Mayweather fight, and whilst driving down we saw several small festivals, events and even a big Christian worship festival in Lincolnshire. Diehard RL fans will attend Wembley regardless, but it only takes a few thousand neutrals to spend their money elsewhere to make the crowd drop and there are a lot of other distractions on August Bank Holiday.

Moving the final to July would be better for the flow of the regular season (could play it just before the Super 8s start) and also be better for media attention, while the Football is off SKY will report on anything to fill the airtime.

I don't think moving from Wembley is the answer, the stadium is a draw in its own right due to its history and finally winning there last year meant more than winning in Cardiff did. The RFL need to up their marketing spend and get the interest back, this year looked very much like it was done on the cheap, no 'famous' singer for the anthems, no choir...when the NFL come to town they go all out, we just do it on the cheap and hope for the best.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: craig hkr "Very easy to say as your team won but if that Burgess forward pass try right at end Wigan had kick to win (not much chance of success I will agree)the touch judge was happy with it. Bentham called it forward.it was forward no doubt but the touchy waved play on'"

The touch judge held his ground at the point of the offence indicating to Bentham that it was forward, the touch judge certainly did NOT "wave play on", you're watching a different game sonny.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2363
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: secondstanza "If Wigan had been the better team I think more fingers would have been pointed at the refs but Hull were better on the day and got the win. Touchie also missed Burgess being taken out late at least 2 seconds after putting a kick through but that's sport. I think Bentham was pretty poor and missed several for both sides. From a Wigan perspective, to have gone through the first 20 minutes of the second half with 80% territory (and a similar figure for possession) and still come away with 3 scores each shows how good their defense was. Their attack however was woeful and Sneyd absolutely showed bow Williams and Leuleuai up for their in field kicking. Not once did they kick into that patch of sun. Simple high kicks when Hull's wingers are so much more dominant than Wigan's is just stupid. I was crying for a grubber kick behind and let Marshall/Burgess try and outpace their opposite number but it never happened.

C'est la vie - best team won and it was a close, intense game so that's all you can ask for. Shout out to the 60 year old Hull fan sat in the Wigan end with the express purpose of winding Wiganers up calling them every name under the sun and pushing them when the team made a mistake. I'm sure there was experiences like that in the other end and it's a shame that it put a real dampener on those around us. I can't wrap my head around it. His team won and instead of singing and celebrating the win with other fans, he celebrated on his own surrounded by other fans. I know which I'd rather do.'"
]

At least we now know where Jake was sat

RankPostsTeam
International Star2363
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: knockersbumpMKII "The touch judge held his ground at the point of the offence indicating to Bentham that it was forward, the touch judge certainly did NOT "wave play on", you're watching a different game sonny.'"

Not seen it again since making comment but I was under the impression Bentham called it and the touch only stopped after Bentham blew.looked to me like the touchy would have let it go.May be wrong like you say and again either way it's history now

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg
For contributions, remittances, payments, and all other matters of any responsibility, please refer to someone else. “The British people love a good hero and a good hate” Lord Northcliffe:10025.jpg

I think a fair summary is that the best team won on the day, it was actually a pretty good game, but the late August bank holiday weekend is no longer a good time to hold what should be a prize event. Personally I went as a neutral, as I do pretty much every year, and really enjoyed it, as I do most years. But it has lost a bit of its sparkle.

I would move it to June, whilst the soccer and RU seasons are on break, before the great summer getaway gets underway and before Network Rail shut down large swathes of the rail infrastructure (on Saturday Euston was closed and most of Waterloo and London Bridge stations were closed). Shutting down the rail network drives people on to motorways already crippled by active traffic mismanagement systems and hundreds of miles of road(not)works.

The attendance has been struggling for a while. The Club Wembley issue has masked it for a few years. Now these are on general sale that mask has slipped. I also agree with those people annoyed with endless trips to the bog/kiosks, it is becoming a bit like Australia in that respect. However, there's no chance of it being addressed as the stadium relies on this behaviour for commercial reasons.

One final point, London's most widely read newspaper is the Evening Standard. It occasionally covers RL, but on Friday there was absolutely nothing. After the semifinals the RFL should have been hitting it with ticket promotions i.e. comps to win free tickets as well as ticket promotions.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

On the face of it 65-70k is decent considering we have arguably a bigger final being played a little over a month later, something we never used to have.

Its crying out for Millenium stadium end of May for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Quote: Call Me God "I watched the game live on TV and enjoyed it immensely.

The Stadium being 40k, 50k, 60k 100k full didn't impact on my enjoyment, but as usual, RL fans love to blame the date, roadworks, engineering works and the dog eating their homework on the empathy that has crept into the game.
We have a great product but we're not selling it to a new audience, so therefore, as RL fans age and then die they aren't being replaced.

My clubs (London and NZ Warriors) are a perfect example of getting it wrong/right....at Mt Smart we see families, dads and Kids and sometimes 3 generations of the same families at games....at London we have a core of the same 300 or so fans with the majority (75%+) being at or close to pensionable age....when these fans are gone there's nobody there to replace them......

the RFL need to sell the CCF to a newer audience ot it'll end up being moved to a smaller venue and become even loss significant on the UK sporting landscape.'"

I took a newcomer to the game. He thought the game was good (a first - most games I take people to have proved boring and turned them right off). Three things that he commented on - the half empty stadium and two others he found ridiculous and utterly comical - the 'water carriers' carriers on the pitch every few minutes and the 'man in the suit' on the pitch - Robbie Paul after tries. It's not good when people come with an open mind but find things to laugh at is it?

RankPostsTeam
International Star3648
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50409_1268084441.jpg
Deus Dat Incrementum:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50409.jpg

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "
One final point, London's most widely read newspaper is the Evening Standard. It occasionally covers RL, but on Friday there was absolutely nothing. After the semifinals the RFL should have been hitting it with ticket promotions i.e. comps to win free tickets as well as ticket promotions.'"

All the free/cheap tickets are seriously devaluing the game, hence why people who have always paid full whack in advance chose to turn up and pay a fiver to a shady character to sit in Club Wembley.

I'd say that there was at least 200 sat in front of us (prime seats) clearly on a free ticket because their kids were doing the obligatory dance. If you have to give them tickets, surely put them up top and sell the premium tickets to genuine punters?

We need to have the confidence in our product to be able to sell it at the right price. Instead we have the ridiculous situation where a league game at Belle Vue costs more than any of the 'marquee' events.

Other sports manage to pull in big crowds for such occasions, despite the fact they have little interest in the sport itself - at least not to start with. What is it about RL that makes it so unfashionable? To me, the obsession with targeting families is a flawed approach. It might upset the traditionalists who want to turn up an hour before kick off with a flask of bovril and a tatty looking corned-beef barm then be home for the One Show; but, the way to bring in new crowds is to pull in younger people with disposable income who want to be seen "checking-in" at the fashionable event of the day.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg

I agree cheap tickets are a problem. I used to always buy the best tickets but at one World Cup final people were let in for £5 (compared with my c. £50 in those days) - we were given just about the worst seats in Old Trafford and the £5 people got great seats. Since then I have voted with my wallet and feet as I guess thousands of others have. That must have cost the RFL thousands pounds from me alone. There are many other calls on my time and money and if I feel taken for granted / ripped off / under valued / bored / treated like an idiot then I'll do something else (and have done so many, many times in recent years).

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg

I agree cheap tickets are a problem. I used to always buy the best tickets but at one World Cup final people were let in for £5 (compared with my c. £50 in those days) - we were given just about the worst seats in Old Trafford and the £5 people got great seats. Since then I have voted with my wallet and feet as I guess thousands of others have. That all be must have cost the RFL thousands pounds from me alone. There are many other calls on my time and money and if I feel taken for granted / ripped off / under valued / bored / treated like an idiot then I'll do something else (and have done so many, many times in recent years).

151 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
151 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.82861328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Odsal lease up for sale
Wigan Bull
Recent
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
Recent
Watson toast
Willzay
Recent
have the rules changed
Spookisback
Recent
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Watson toast
Willzay
51s
TV Games - Not Hull
mwindass
56s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
2m
Rumours and signings v9
jonh
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
3m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
4m
have the rules changed
Spookisback
4m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 17
Fathead96
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
Willzay
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
RfE
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
TODAY
Saints h
Zig
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
batleyrhino
TODAY
Arthur In
KaeruJim
TODAY
Wakefield H
Peter Goddar
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
TODAY
Academy Internationa
Winslade's O
TODAY
Jamie Humphreys NRL Debut
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Warrington v Wigan Super League game to take place in Las Ve
Saddened!
TODAY
Las Vegas Official
TF and the w
TODAY
have the rules changed
Spookisback
TODAY
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,561 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
Catalans
v
Salford
 Sun 14th Jul
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
WSL2024
WiganW-St.HelensW
SL
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10