FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > 31 year old SL Grand finalist on dual registration...
138 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Moderator22898No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15778_1321882771.png
L.I.S.A Secretary [url=http://www.leigh-isa.org.uk:1gm9a4wz]LISA website[/url:1gm9a4wz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15778.png

Everyones blaming the RFL when really its the 2/3rds of the SL clubs who couldnt afford to keep the under 21 's so this is the result of this, its the teams like Leeds and Warrington who were teams that wanted to keep the under21's, are exploting the rules now just because they can.
The silly Championship chairman of the clubs thats have agreed to partner with SL clubs are really just putting a nail in the coffin of what was a good competitive league, which last year had some great closely contested ,matches, now its become a farce and will result in driving the crowds away. If anyone thinks these fans will watch the SL teams instead they are deluded.
Surely the RFL should give step in and sort the mess out and bring in something in salary cap that would allow the SL clubs not to spend all their money on the first team but save some to invest in the futureof our game, ie the young players coming through.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2415
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27802_1294412072.gif
Oh hali hali hali hali halifax:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27802.gif

Meeting at Red Hall with SL chairmen and Nigel Wood,

"Nigel, we need to increase attendances at SL matches, any ideas?"

"How about attracting people who already fans?"

"Good idea, but where are these people?"

"At championship clubs. We totally devalue their league and they stop going to watch and come to SL matches instead! Dual Registration system anyon?"

"Wow Nigel. Genius. Almost as good as everything you did when at Halifax. You'll never beat that fantastic Bluesox nickname. You certainly deserve that post and salary Nigel"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Like most things there is opportunity here, but some people are letting their personal issues blind them and their parochialism lead them.

If you step back and look at the situation, there are plenty of positives in this arrangement, for SL clubs and for the lower league clubs. But as usual certain parties are only focusing on the negatives and howling in the wind about how everything should be wrecked and started again. That shouldn’t happen.

In isolation, I don’t think it is a particularly bad thing for, even mature players, playing in the championship to regain form/fitness. I don’t think it is a bad thing, in fact I think it is a pretty good thing that young players who aren’t quite at SL level are playing at a slightly lower level. It is what should happen.

the question seems to be over the independence of the clubs, with them being seen by some as less than even a junior partner and more a reserve side for SL clubs. So the issue isn’t that better young players are playing in the Championships because that is undeniably a good thing, nor is it established players regaining form and fitness in the championships, again this is how it should work. The issue is how we get the championships to function as a development pool for Super League, where young players have a clear pathway of which the lower leagues are an important and integral part, where more established players can regain form and fitness which brings up the playing standards, but where the competition is worthwhile in its own right and where clubs retain their character and independence but are seen as part of a cog in the machine, not as a reserve or youth side. Those are the issues to address and the solution to find.

Whilst having a pop at Nigel Wood may be fun, and there are plenty of fat jokes to go around, im sure some of them are even funny, and whilst the woe is me crowd seem so blinded to opportunity by their negativity that if they fell in a barrel of boobs they would come up sucking their own thumb, there is a real opportunity here for the championship clubs to reinvent themselves and set in their place and importance to the wider game. Perhaps even get the opposite of what they are fearing and rather than see this as an attempt to steal fans from the lower leagues to SL but an opportunity to get SL fans watching some lower league rugby.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

Opportunity for who. The only blind person here is you Smokey. Wire and Leeds have stuck two fingers up to the system. They are now also stuck as to how they get their quota players match fit as the UKBA have quite rightly stepped in to put a stop to players breaching their vias conditions. Nigel (£300k) Wood thought he could get away with it. In fact I reckon this problem was only thought about in the last couple of weeks. Tony Smith alluded to it a few days ago, and the UKBA have for the time being anyway put a spoke in the wheels of greed. Pay the players less boys and you could afford to develop your youth and our game.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5879No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13517.jpg
:13517.jpg

Well Bradford have now had clearance from UKBA for Adrian Purtell to play for Dewsbury, so I wouldn't expect any further problems for other clubs/players.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: DemonUK "Opportunity for who. The only blind person here is you Smokey. Wire and Leeds have stuck two fingers up to the system. They are now also stuck as to how they get their quota players match fit as the UKBA have quite rightly stepped in to put a stop to players breaching their vias conditions. Nigel (£300k) Wood thought he could get away with it. In fact I reckon this problem was only thought about in the last couple of weeks. Tony Smith alluded to it a few days ago, and the UKBA have for the time being anyway put a spoke in the wheels of greed. Pay the players less boys and you could afford to develop your youth and our game.'"

Opportunity for everyone.

Why does every dealing the clubs have to be confrontational? Why is it Leeds and Wire sticking two fingers up at the system and not simply using an imperfect system to get the best results they can? When you strip away the identity issue (Which I agree needs to be addressed) and the petty parochialism (which is, as it should ignored) then it is a good thing that this quality of player is playing in the lower leagues. It is better for them to have a better quality of player.

The UKBA were aware of the situation, they had been informed and are making a more permanent change to address that issue, and have infact already made allowances.

And it isn’t all about greed, look at what Leeds and Hunslet are doing, look at what they are doing in the schools around leeds and GH and BMs plans for amateur and schools coaching. It is absolutely outstanding. Leeds are a club which makes profits and turns over £13m, the roughly 10% of that they spend on wages doesn’t stop them investing in youth development.

Remove your victim mentality, ignore your parochialism, they aren’t out to get you, stop being bitter, there are many many benefits to this system, that a pathway from amateur, through lower leagues, to SL isn’t an attack on the lower leagues, it is the ideal, it is the best situation for amateur, lower league and SL clubs.

There is an issue with identity, I think everyone accepts that. I don’t think anyone sees a long term future with the championships as a reserve side or youth side. But when we solve that issue of how we stop championship clubs being identified as reserve sides or youth sides then we have a good structure for the game. My view that you are blinded by petty parochialism is based on the fact that rather than look for solutions to that issue, rather than look for a way to promote the character and identities of clubs under this or a similar system, you just complain that it is happening in the first place. Having the best youngsters, and mature players returning to form/fitness playing for lower league teams is a good thing for everyone involved.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1012
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Nothus "Well Bradford have now had clearance from UKBA for Adrian Purtell to play for Dewsbury, so I wouldn't expect any further problems for other clubs/players.'"

Isn't that under the regular loan system (i.e. minimum 1 month) rather than dual registration?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2415
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27802_1294412072.gif
Oh hali hali hali hali halifax:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27802.gif

Smokey,

I have a sow's ear and would like a purse.

Over to you

(although I do agree about youth development but maybe over an extended load period?)

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

CPWigan on WiganWarriorsFans.Com:

SL1 = 8 teams. Top team straight to GF, 2nd & rd teams GF eliminator

SL2 = 12 or 14 teams

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "SL1
So we are cutting the biggest revenue streams for SL1 in half? What is the supposed benefit of this?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Give the championships their niche as something closer to college gridiron than a second division ala football.

Take away youth development from SL clubs completely, why are we aligning players with clubs at 15, shuffling them out again at 18/19 and bringing them in again at 20/21. Doesn’t seem to make much sense to me.

My preference, which I stated before The RFL takes control of all youth development up to the age of 17(end of season when they turn 17),

At 18 players join a championship or championship 1 club, who run a 1st team and a reserve team.

At the end of the season in which they turn 19, they can declare themselves eligible for an SL draft.

Players then join SL clubs, but stay affiliated to their championship/championship 1 club.

Take Zak Hardaker as an example, he goes through the RFL youth development, signs for Featherstone, Fev bring him through

He goes to Leeds at 19, When he plays for England he is listed as Zak Hardaker Leeds Rhinos/Featherstone Rovers. Fev are given a bonus for him becoming an international.

Should Hardaker be dual registered, he can only be dual registered to Fev.

I think that this would work out for everyone. The RFL can take a more rounded approach at the youngest levels, where basic skills are more important than victories. They can spread around the very best coaches to work with the kids that would be far too expensive for one club to afford. I.e pay £60k to Darren Lockyer and get him working with all the best half backs and fullbacks in the country between the ages of 13 and 17 for 6 months.

Lower league clubs have a clear and defined place within the RL structure, they have a competition to win and a better level of player playing for them. They would also act as a feeder league for SL but be completely independent of SL clubs. They can take DR players but those will be DR players with a personal link to that club and a history and affiliation completely separate to the SL club. It would also make it easier for the game to achieve its ‘strategic aims’ with regards to club location. It would mean an expansion club would simply need to concentrate on making itself a viable business, marketing itself, building links with the local community etc, and they are guaranteed a steady stream of good quality, credible players from the outset. I also think it would build great interest in the game at lower league level. People would talk about it, they would look it at, they would watch it. Can you imagine how much publicity someone like Tomkins would have built in the lower leagues. I can perfectly imagine a player like Stevie Ward being an attraction to fans of SL clubs this year having had a year in the championships already, probably playing most games, and standing out this year. SL fans would want to go to hunslet to watch him, or their local team when hunslet played them. To see who their team maybe getting next year. It removes this competition we seem to have between some clubs who are on massively different levels.

For SL clubs, they get a steady stream of distributed talent and they don’t really need to do much for it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: SmokeyTA "So we are cutting the biggest revenue streams for SL1 in half? What is the supposed benefit of this?'"

The elite competition reflects the number of teams a country can sustain. The standard of the games would be better, more intense and more productive in producing international players which allows the RFL to market the game based on international competition which as the RFU show is the most financially productive revenue stream and one currently non existent to RL. Odd that the RFL are desparate to market the game using the World Cup, cannot figure out why icon_smile.gif Less games for the elite, more rep/international fixtures ? and/or better results internationally? More academy teams / set up based on development rather than the financial capabilities of club who are not capable of being elite.

8 + 12/14 = more teams than the current SL competition and allows the 12 / 14 clubs to develop without overstretching themselves financially. Some clubs currently in the championship would benefit greatly.

If necessary, bring back a mid season cup competition, air on the BBC / ITV, bring back relegation / promotion. A more gradual extended climb to the elite eliminates (hopefully) too artificial promotion of development areas only for the clubs to go belly up.

What would you do Bear?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Yes 8 + 12/14 does = more than 14.

However 8 doesn’t. Your re-named championship doesn’t really achieve much.

You are still ignoring that less games = less income.

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: SmokeyTA "Yes 8 + 12/14 does

More time for marketing, building, fewer to attend means less expense or more if the clubs increase prices because the games are a better standard, scarcer in number. Greater investment from sponsors / media etc. Works for the RFU and Britain responds to international events more readily than anything else which is importantly in a sport trying to become nationwide.

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: SmokeyTA "Yes 8 + 12/14 does

The 12 / 14 tier = less teams going bust, present clubs in the championship getting a real boost to their finances, a gradual, progress to elite level for new RL areas rather than pushing them too high, too fast.

Junior development, the RFL would have to get all the clubs to trust them with far more funding whereas the clubs are reluctant to do so and only prepared to invest in youth if they can see a return for themselves. Self interest prevails. Why should it not? Can they trust the RFL? youth development is expensive and funding say via Sport England requires internetional success. Who do Warrington get Cheshire? Widnes get Liverpool?

138 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
138 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

1.8486328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Seth Nikotemo
Trojan Horse
Recent
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
Recent
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Leyther in n
1m
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
1m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
2m
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
3m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
4m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
4m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
5m
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
6m
moxi1
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Leyther in n
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,609 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22