JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dr Hfuhruhurr "Bit different over here, you all play together and there are no winners or losers, it's the taking part that counts.'"

That is absolute b0llocks. There is plenty of competitive sport available for children in this country. There is a problem with a lack of playing fields, but the "all must have prizes" philosophy is just not a factor in British sport development.

And also, Britain actually *does* produce World Class athletes. It sustains a top (but not *absolutely* top) team in the World's leading sport, has three other variously competitive teams in the same sport, has three (and a bit) high quality teams in another major international sport (whose name I won't mention), occasionally produces a decent Cricketer, punches well above its population weight in producing Track and Field Athletes, Rowers, Cyclists, Boxers and Swimmers, and additional to all that also sustains a good-standard domestic competition of Rugby League.

But it's obviously inconvenient for you to think of us a nation that actually punches above our weight at Sport.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We do punch above our weight when you look at the world but that everyones a winner mentality does exist in schools and its embarassing. I was constantly told off in primary school for having an only winning counts attitude: bloody stupid.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

The current coach education programmes put our lack of decision makers (in all sports) down to the drill based nature that our coaching (again, in all sports) has had for decades - run in and out of cones, queue for your turn, run here and run there. There is a big move nowadays to using games to help kids learn, forcing more decision making onto them. It's harder to coach that way - as soon as you open up from a drill to a game you have so many more different things to look at along with the skill you want to work on. Some kids seem to really benefit from it, some don't, and it's not just down to positions - one half back we had made great progress and another didn't. It's a real culture shock to the players too, them being used to strict drill instructions. Again, so benefit from it and some feel they need strict instructions. I suppose it'll be few years until we really find out how well the change in approach works.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach321No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

McNamara was hampered from the start in who he could select for this competition and from what was left he made his choice, which obviously doesn't suit everyone. From that original selection his team choice has been reduced by injuries and players not performing as they have done in SL. So, I am quite happy with the team that he is putting out on Sunday given those circumstances.

In fact I think some of the young players may even make one or two of you "experts" eat your words later on Sunday morning. This Aussie team is nothing like the team that beat us 52 - 4 in Melbourne in the 2008 World Cup but hey, we always have to try and give the opposition a hand in running down our own players. I believe that if our lads go out with belief and cionfidence and play to their natural ability then we are quite capable of turning over these Aussies.

This is a very young England team and it can and will get better as the players gel. Lads like Tompkins S and J, Cudjoe, Briscoe, Lunt, Harrison, etc, will be around the international scene for many years to come so stop knocking them and get behind them. I just hope they have more spherical objects than some of you posting on here!!!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Starbug "So what is their natural defensive game ? , having the Aussie props running at them ? , having Roby or Robinson targeting Lockyer takes them out of the defensive line , they simply move up at the play the ball wherever Lockyer is , if he gets the ball , they tackle him , if he doesn't they dont

RL is a simple game , unfortunatly some people want to make it complicated , they should go watching union'"

Perhaps I misunderstood you, i dont like seeing stand offs making too many tackles, yes they will be targeted, but to put a player like sam or roby on with the single purpose of tackling lockyer seems to be a waste.

Im not saying lockers at 6 is ideal, but he can play a ball playing loose roll well, and its not much different is it?

Austrailia have done it for years and had basicly an extra prop in the back row.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1650No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Nov 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: "Austrailia have done it for years and had basicly an extra prop in the back row.'"

Provide an example of when the Aussies have played anyone other than an accomplished 6 at 6-Props second rowers etc is fine decision making link men is different

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: east stander "Provide an example of when the Aussies have played anyone other than an accomplished 6 at 6-Props second rowers etc is fine decision making link men is different'"

I meant style player not an actuall loose forward as they can produce players.

Id say a "typical" 6 was more like a dailey than a lewis, wouldnt you?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: east stander "Provide an example of when the Aussies have played anyone other than an accomplished 6 at 6 ............'"

Well they currently pick a converted full back there icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach707No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g24.gif
:Others/g24.gif

Australia's game against PNG was, just like our game against NZ Maori, their first game in sometime...especially for some players who hadn't played for weeks (Slater and Smith for example). They still managed to score 42 points and not concede any against a team we struggled against in the last WC. I fear, although Australia aren't the same standard as normal, they will still have far too much for us to handle - and yes, could put a heavy score on us. I don't think it'll be 80 points, but it could be 50.

Don't get me wrong...I'm proud to be English and sincerely want England to win and make the final...how funny would it be if Australia failed to make it!?!

The problem is, and has been over the past 10 years or so, our coaching isn't at the same level as Australia. All these players that Eddie and Stevo claim are the next stars in SL just dwindle away or stay at a similar level their whole career. Look at Ellis and Burgess as examples, Ellis was a good player at Wakefield and Leeds...however his game has improved so much in 2 years at Wests. Look at Wigan...for 4/5 years they were average with top players coming in and youngsters (just like now) however they were no where near the top of the league....now in one season under Maguire (a good coach) they've won the league with ease.

So many of the coaches in England (not just SL) aren't developing players to their potential or improving little things that make the difference....one main thing being mental strength! It baffles me why not? For 10 years or more we've set about trying to catch these teams but just can't get near a trophy when it matters.

Realistically, England have 2 teams in the world to compete with for titles - NZ and Aus.....yet for 40 years we've failed. Thats 40 years where our coaching and playing skill set has constantly been behind our rivals. That in any sport is not good enough. Look at our RU (who won the RWC in 2003 and made the final in 2007) brothers...they have NZ, Australia, South Africa, Ireland, France just to name a few who could win trophies.....then look at football, England have atleast 8 teams who are ahead of them.

Why are the RFL so slow and insular in their approach to change things when we have barely any competition to compete with...yet still fail?

Anyway....come on England, lets try and end 40 years of hurt and get within 30 points of Australia on Sunday!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach778No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45501_1276187764.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45501.jpg

Quote: craigizzard "That is absolute b0llocks. '"

Really? I'm speaking with experience, two boys that went to a Primary School that banned sports day and had an 'inclusion day' instead. Maybe you have kids (god help them) and have had a different experience, or maybe you're at Primary School now, I'd be interested to know.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51474.gif

Quote: Toulouse for super L "Is Ryan Hall injured?'"

No, he just wasnt selected. Its not really a shock as Goulding played well last week and Hall was very poor against NZ Maori.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51474.gif

Quote: brearley84 "o'loughlin in that position
Brown has been awful the last 2 weeks and is a major weakness in defence. If whoever plays stand off can tackle for a start, and even if they do nothing else, then it is a big improvement on what Brown has provided in the last 2 weeks. O'Loughlin has played well when he has played at stand off for Wigan this year and offers a lot more than Brown at this level.

NSW
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4023No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27542_1296773722.jpg
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!! Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27542.jpg

At least the Aussies have alot of injuries in the centres, Tate and Tonga are good but I'd rather play them than GI, Lyon, Jennings, Hodges etc

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dr Hfuhruhurr "Really? I'm speaking with experience, two boys that went to a Primary School that banned sports day and had an 'inclusion day' instead. Maybe you have kids (god help them) and have had a different experience, or maybe you're at Primary School now, I'd be interested to know.'"

Ha ha.

Yes I do have kids (5 and 9), for the youngest sports & races are exactly what they should be at that age: fun games. The eldest does have competitive races at school, and he also plays football and basketball on a skills level, which I also think is preferable in developing sportsmen to what I remember at that age: which was running after a ball with no real instruction and the biggest/most confident kid getting hold of it and hammering it.

When they get to secondary school, they'll play more competitively and there are opportunities out-of-school if they show aptitude. (It's not a school's job, particularly a primary school's job, to develop sportsmen. It's their job to help develop decent people,and sport is an aid to doing that)

To get back on topic: England aren't lacking half-backs because they chained a potential international 6 to a fat kid to even up a three-legged race when he was seven years old.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: who needs flankers? "My God! worst decision ever. All lockers can do is tackle (and he does that by taking the oppositions head off), and back up.'"

That statement is clearly inaccurate – O’loughlin has thrown the final pass for many tries this season including some excellent cut out passes to send his wing men into the corner. He may not be England’s ideal stand off and certainly wouldn’t be playing there if McNamara had a full strength squad but to say all he can do is tackle and back up does both him and you a disservice

122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.58544921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Championship Awards
JamieRobinso
1m
Squad for HKR
St Helens Wo
12m
Film game
Boss Hog
13m
Fev H Play Off
bullinenemyl
14m
Play-off semi-final
WT_Midlander
28m
Betting 2024
karetaker
28m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
FoxyRhino
45m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
50m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Offy86
Recent
Season tickets
Tony Fax
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Fantastic Mr
1m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
1m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
2m
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
2m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
FoxyRhino
2m
Leigh it is
moto748
2m
Fev H Play Off
bullinenemyl
2m
Best Semi
Wires71
3m
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
3m
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Championship Awards
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Season tickets
Tony Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
Wires71
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
St Helens Wo
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
bullinenemyl
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
WT_Midlander
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,029 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22