FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Super League payments to increase to £3million per year
100 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star5506No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50774_1329287946.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50774.jpg

Quote: Starbug "Unfortunatly the RFL are now very good at saying something without it actually meaning anything , the SL application is a case in point , they say there are criteria which clubs will be judged on , then after their main sponsorship partner examines several clubs on that criteria , they say that isn't the criteria they will judge on , then they say it is ' subjective ' which is another way of saying , " we'll put in whoever we want "

So what is the point asking them anything , they are nothing more than a bunch of glorified double glazing/second hand car salesmen , ie outright liers , they have told that many now they dont even know the truth anymore'"

rather cynical Starbug but difficult to disagree with much of our post

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36076
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Or that the failure of Paris last time doesnt prove that Toulouse (or even Paris again) would fail next time. And that Crusaders Administration doesnt prove RL doesnt or wont work in Wales anymore than Trinity's CVA doesnt prove RL doesnt or wont work in Wakefield '"

I say again, two wrongs don't make a right.

The question posed and the answer given was not whether expansion clubs will or won't fail or whether heartland clubs have any more right to exist than new clubs.

The above is not at issue. What is at issue is whether the RFL has a good record on expanding the game or not. The resounding answer has to be no. What compounds it IMO is that they don't even have a very good record of looking after their existing clubs. Sure it's not all down to them, RL clubs throughout history have proved to be some of the most selfish, incompetant and self serving organisations on the planet.

Yet rather than man up and take on the games self interest the RFL usually goes for the big expansionist gesture and usually fails.

Stop being defensive and trying to defend the indefencible. RL is a great game, with a great tradition but as yet after a 130 odd years it's governing body has still not been able to expand the game to a level that registers with the press and public alike.

Let's not kid ourselves, Catalan already existed, London has been an ongoing project since the 1920's and is yet to really yield an audience and for me the Crusaders are 20 years too late.

RL has had it's moments, but as yet breaking into the rest of the UK in a meaningful way is not one - the execution has been woeful and remains so, and the end result is patchy at best - fact.

There are two things needed to expand any sport. One is gaining popularity through the media and success on the pitch and attracting new and enthusiastic supporters. We have had some success there through the SL play offs, but sadly lack of international success has blunted the impact of the sport. On the back of that you need to throw bucket loads of cash at it to make it work. That cash can only come from the existing game. And at the moment that game does not generate the cash required. That is why the heartland clubs need to be strong and supported, something the expansionists choose to forget. Remember ALL the RFL's money is generated by the "heartland clubs". They produce the product SKY pay for, they produce the product the fans pay to see and they produce the raw material (players) that create the product. The RFL's job is to direct those products wisely as representatives of the clubs and to govern the game effectively. Until those goals are met and the cash flows expansion will remain an expensive dream and occasional nightmare - it's called reality.

RU and Soccer cream us at the moment because they have the cash and the profile. When they start a new venture they can afford to bankroll it, it's expected. Any one with a brain could see Crusaders would need to be subsidised for years. Yet we as a game and as fans seem shocked that they do, this despite endless previous example to the contrary. Why do we as a game do it, why do we lie to ourselves and pretend that Crusaders would ever be able to stand alone after a few years. This crisis/rescue plan shouldn't even be an issue, it should have been pre planned and budgeted for. Hence the RFL's reputation for incompetency in these matters continues and they rightly get flak. They need to stop bullsh*tting and tell the truth rather than trying to plaster over the cracks. Jeez if they had really tried with Fulham and put a plan in place they would be a giant by now, instead we have lost generations of London fans and players and lost all credibility in the city as one incarnation of London failed and was followed by another - makes you weep.

Maybe one day it will happen, but not one day very soon I fear.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2874No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8762_1295775855.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8762.jpg

According to the latest Sport England survey results (recently published) RL is shrinking, not exanding.

Their survey from July 2008 estimated that 77,000 people were actively participating in the game at different levels. The latest one says that figure is now 51,000 people. So a 30% decrease despite receiving £30m of funding to develop the grass roots - I reckon Sport England won't be falling over themselves to give us much funding next time around with that kind of return on investment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Barnacle Bill "Who has ever suggested anything of the sort?

What your doing here is typical Kipperman. Invent a ludicrous argument and then refute it. Vastman did suggest that expansion was to the detriment of the strength of the heartlands, i argued they were separate things and the struggles of the heartlands arent caused by the struggles of expansions.

Its good to see you agree, however much it seems to stick in you throat. icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Starbug "So when you say ' Expansion ' , you mean expansion of SL , you see that is very important , because we have all been fed the brown smelly stuff that it is expanding the sport of RL , not just SL , as that expansion will help all the sport , when in fact it wont , it is all about the SL clubs improving their own prospects for the future , not the whole sport'"

no, you have made the exact same mistake in when you say 'the whole sport' you mean 'the championships'. Look at the fantastic results at youth and amateur level that has stemmed from having a professional visibility and the work Quins have done in the community there.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36076
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Vastman did suggest that expansion was to the detriment of the strength of the heartlands, i argued they were separate things and the struggles of the heartlands arent caused by the struggles of expansions.

Its good to see you agree, however much it seems to stick in you throat.
Not quite, what I'm suggesting is the weakness of the heartland game especially at NL1/2 level is a detriment to expanding the game - so not quite the same thing.

As some Aussie said you have to get the back room right first.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: vastman "I say again, two wrongs don't make a right.

The question posed and the answer given was not whether expansion clubs will or won't fail or whether heartland clubs have any more right to exist than new clubs.

The above is not at issue. What is at issue is whether the RFL has a good record on expanding the game or not. The resounding answer has to be no. What compounds it IMO is that they don't even have a very good record of looking after their existing clubs. Sure it's not all down to them, RL clubs throughout history have proved to be some of the most selfish, incompetant and self serving organisations on the planet.

Yet rather than man up and take on the games self interest the RFL usually goes for the big expansionist gesture and usually fails.'"
yet relative to the struggles of the heartland games it isnt quite so bad. And the past ten - fifteen years of expansion on the game has been infinitely more successful than it was for the 90 years preceeding it.

Quote: vastman "Stop being defensive and trying to defend the indefencible. RL is a great game, with a great tradition but as yet after a 130 odd years it's governing body has still not been able to expand the game to a level that registers with the press and public alike.'"
For a long time the game wasnt failing at expansion, its attempts were almost actively counter-productive, the last decade or so has shown we are moving in the right direction.

Im not saying we are there, im saying after 100 years we have finally got on the right track.

Quote: vastman "Let's not kid ourselves, Catalan already existed, London has been an ongoing project since the 1920's and is yet to really yield an audience and for me the Crusaders are 20 years too late.'"
Catalans didnt exist, they literally didnt exist. Why we need this revisionism i dont know.

Catalans are an unarguable success story, why need to find mitigation for success is beyond me. Two very small semi-pro french clubs have merged to form a large, strong fully pro RL club, it is great news.

London is an on-going project, but to pretend we were doing anything worhtwhile there in anything other than the last 20 years or so is ridiculous.

Crusaders, we will see. There are encouraging signs, some struggles but as many other clubs have proved, it is difficult to run an RL club.

Quote: vastman "RL has had it's moments, but as yet breaking into the rest of the UK in a meaningful way is not one - the execution has been woeful and remains so, and the end result is patchy at best - fact.'"
what is so woeful? are our attempts to crack london any worse than RU's attempts to crack Leeds?

Quote: vastman "There are two things needed to expand any sport. One is gaining popularity through the media and success on the pitch and attracting new and enthusiastic supporters. We have had some success there through the SL play offs, but sadly lack of international success has blunted the impact of the sport. On the back of that you need to throw bucket loads of cash at it to make it work. That cash can only come from the existing game. And at the moment that game does not generate the cash required. That is why the heartland clubs need to be strong and supported, something the expansionists choose to forget. Remember ALL the RFL's money is generated by the "heartland clubs". They produce the product SKY pay for, they produce the product the fans pay to see and they produce the raw material (players) that create the product. The RFL's job is to direct those products wisely as representatives of the clubs and to govern the game effectively. Until those goals are met and the cash flows expansion will remain an expensive dream and occasional nightmare - it's called reality.'"
, you think Wakefield Trinity are generating the RFL's money? rubbish. There are unfortunately very few clubs, even in the heartlands that do this. It sounds harsh but from a financial point of view, and Sky's point of view, outside maybe 6 or 7 clubs, everyone else is simply making up the numbers.

Quote: vastman "RU and Soccer cream us at the moment because they have the cash and the profile. When they start a new venture they can afford to bankroll it, it's expected. Any one with a brain could see Crusaders would need to be subsidised for years. Yet we as a game and as fans seem shocked that they do, this despite endless previous example to the contrary. Why do we as a game do it, why do we lie to ourselves and pretend that Crusaders would ever be able to stand alone after a few years. This crisis/rescue plan shouldn't even be an issue, it should have been pre planned and budgeted for. Hence the RFL's reputation for incompetency in these matters continues and they rightly get flak. They need to stop bullsh*tting and tell the truth rather than trying to plaster over the cracks. Jeez if they had really tried with Fulham and put a plan in place they would be a giant by now, instead we have lost generations of London fans and players and lost all credibility in the city as one incarnation of London failed and was followed by another - makes you weep.'"
christ what more do you want, how many cockney internationals do you want before you admit the youth systems and player pathways put in place a generation ago are working. We didnt lose a generation of players, we gained them.

And soccer and RU do cream us at the moment ecause of the cash and profile they have, but they got that cash and profile by investing in expansion and the international game. Not by contracting to the heartlands.

We have turned a profit year on year on year on year, crowds are rising, we get more money from Sky, The heartland game has never been stronger.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: vastman "Not quite, what I'm suggesting is the weakness of the heartland game especially at NL1/2 level is a detriment to expanding the game - so not quite the same thing.

As some Aussie said you have to get the back room right first.'"

Wouldn't it be easier for us to expand the game if the heartlands clubs were crap? They could catch us up quicker then and be competitive icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2912No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25057_1281800333.jpeg
www.hullrockers.co.uk:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25057.jpeg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Vastman did suggest that expansion was to the detriment of the strength of the heartlands, i argued they were separate things and the struggles of the heartlands arent caused by the struggles of expansions.'"

Well if he did that's not the specific point you were making.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Its good to see you agree, however much it seems to stick in you throat.
I have no problem at all disagreeing with absurd arguments, which is why I disagree with you on so many points.

If anyone were to suggest that Hull KR's debts are in some significant way influenced by the inclusion of Quins in SL I would disagree on the basis that it is an absurd and false argument. There is no reasonable basis upon which to make such a claim and I don't think anyone other than you has suggested such a thing.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Barnacle Bill "Well if he did that's not the specific point you were making.'"
erm, yes it was, however you chose one example took it out of context, then pretended something else. Which for you is exactly as expected

Quote: Barnacle Bill "I have no problem at all disagreeing with absurd arguments, which is why I disagree with you on so many points.'"
except you didnt disagree with anything, you agreed with me, and go on to agree with me below. its very odd, but entirely in character.

Quote: Barnacle Bill "If anyone were to suggest that Hull KR's debts are in some significant way influenced by the inclusion of Quins in SL I would disagree on the basis that it is an absurd and false argument. There is no reasonable basis upon which to make such a claim and I don't think anyone other than you has suggested such a thing.'"
people have suggested, many a time, that the problems the heartlands face are down to expansion. I have pointed out a couple of specific problems the heartlands face, and pointed out the absurdity of blaming expansion for it.

You agree, its probably the first logical thought that has hit you for months, but its good for you, at least you arent pointing out to me how few games Lee Smith is playing for Leeds, or how Luke Burgess, Jay Pitts and Chris Clarkson never get a game. An improvement.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Wellsy13 "Wouldn't it be easier for us to expand the game if the heartlands clubs were crap? They could catch us up quicker then and be competitive
I actually believe this to be an RFL policy , that is the only conclusion I can come up with to explain their incompetance in dealings with the lower tier competitions and clubs

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2912No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25057_1281800333.jpeg
www.hullrockers.co.uk:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25057.jpeg

Quote: SmokeyTA "erm, yes it was, however you chose one example took it out of context, then pretended something else. Which for you is exactly as expected'"

Except he has since explained to you that it was not the point he was making at all.

Quote: SmokeyTA "except you didnt disagree with anything, you agreed with me, and go on to agree with me below. its very odd, but entirely in character.'"

I do not agree that Quins are responsible for debts incurred by Hull KR. Who would? It is an absurd argument you made up solely so you could refute it. Well done.

Quote: SmokeyTA "people have suggested, many a time, that the problems the heartlands face are down to expansion. I have pointed out a couple of specific problems the heartlands face, and pointed out the absurdity of blaming expansion for it. '"
Exactly, an absurd argument which, if anyone other than you is claiming with any sincerity, I have yet to see.

Quote: SmokeyTA "You agree, its probably the first logical thought that has hit you for months, but its good for you, at least you arent pointing out to me how few games Lee Smith is playing for Leeds, or how Luke Burgess, Jay Pitts and Chris Clarkson never get a game. An improvement.'"

I disagree with absurd statements generally, you know things like "At Leeds the only reason a young English player will not get games is if there is a better young English player in their position". Who would possibly be so self righteous and pompous as to claim such a thing and then immediately defend the signing of aging Aussie has beens like Cross and New Zealand never was's like Hauraki? Crazy eh?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Barnacle Bill "Except he has since explained to you that it was not the point he was making at all.'"

He, like you, have failed to see the two sides of the same coin. My argument, made time and time again here, which you still seem to be struggling to understand is that the struggles of the heartlands, and the struggles of expansion are different. I thought it obvious, maybe you needed it spelling out for you. But similarly the strengths of the heartlands, and the strengths of expansion are also different.

Quote: Barnacle Bill "I do not agree that Quins are responsible for debts incurred by Hull KR. Who would? It is an absurd argument you made up solely so you could refute it. Well done.'"
And the premise that that was an example of, do you agree or disagree? Or you can sit here and debate with yourself about the strengths of an example taken out of context ignoring the underlying point. I imagine you would be good at that 5.04931640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Salford H Moved to Thursday