JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: JB Down Under "Tbh if you can show me a start of a RL game that was as dull as the first 5 mins of that game I'll totally agree with you, it went

For someone who says has only watched 5 minutes of Union in years you can hardly claim to be knowledgeable or up to date yet you have made 7 postings in this thread all anti Union. Why?

You could say the first 5 minutes of a League game could go
KO
Ball received and run into a defender
same process repeated 5 times
ball is kicked to opposition
opposition repeats above
etc etc

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2066No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Juan Cornetto "For someone who says has only watched 5 minutes of Union in years you can hardly claim to be knowledgeable or up to date yet you have made 7 postings in this thread all anti Union. Why?

You could say the first 5 minutes of a League game could go
KO
Ball received and run into a defender
same process repeated 5 times
ball is kicked to opposition
opposition repeats above
etc etc'"

I agree, one of the worst things about rugby league is its predictability, especially in the early parts of the game. There is so much more competition for the ball in RU.

I thought that the removal of the strike for the PTB as marker was one of the worst rules to be taken out of RL, or being able to PTB to yourself without a marker.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: The Changing Man "or
which is it?'"

Thanks for proving you're not interested in the slightest in actual debate and discussion.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: marvwoodburn "I agree, one of the worst things about rugby league is its predictability, especially in the early parts of the game. There is so much more competition for the ball in RU.

I thought that the removal of the strike for the PTB as marker was one of the worst rules to be taken out of RL, or being able to PTB to yourself without a marker.'"

It's partly why I've changed my mind on scrums. I used to agree with the majority opinion in RL that they're unnecessary.
Now I think they can play a role in opening the game up.

The big (on-field) advantage Union, football and other sports have is that a team can be significantly "worse" than the opposition but still be competitive. In League it generally/often leads to high scorelines against the poorer team. So you can have Japan/Argentina etc being competitive and giving the top nations a game whereas in League they'd get blown away. And a big reason for this is the nature of the game. League allows pressure and dominance to be built up and it's incredibly difficult to turn that around.

So I've thought for a while now we could use a way of helping not so good teams compete with top teams. Imagine if France and Wales could give England a game in RL. We'd have a ready made annual Tri-Nations which would hugely help RL in this country.

I reckon if we re-introduced competitive scrums it COULD, and I stress the word could, help lesser nations be competitive. Teams could use scrums and kicking to touch to help them turn around the dominance and momentum that is built up by the better teams.

I understand the reasons against it, I just think we desperately need more competitive international teams and the nature of our sport currently doesn't help in that regard.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17198
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

The Olympic stadium looked great last night for France-Romania, obviously still some doubts about the view from the cheap seats, but it looked a great venue. Hope we can come close to filling it for the England game, 50k there last night for what was effectively FranceB versus lowly Romania

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2066No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "It's partly why I've changed my mind on scrums. I used to agree with the majority opinion in RL that they're unnecessary.
Now I think they can play a role in opening the game up. '"

I think in some ways they already do. Players set up in a different way than the normal defensive line and can open the game up to training ground set peices. Danny McGuire in an international game which escapes me a few years back is a good example. Im sure there are millions of others.

Quote: Him "
The big (on-field) advantage Union, football and other sports have is that a team can be significantly "worse" than the opposition but still be competitive. In League it generally/often leads to high scorelines against the poorer team. So you can have Japan/Argentina etc being competitive and giving the top nations a game whereas in League they'd get blown away. And a big reason for this is the nature of the game. League allows pressure and dominance to be built up and it's incredibly difficult to turn that around. '"

Leagues very physical based nature tends to allow fitter, stronger teams to get on top. lopsided internationals and challenge cup games show this a lot I have said this to friends/family etc.

Football allows you to put ten men behind the ball if you are a "worse team" and this is incredibly hard to break down.

The huge variation in tactics and rule interpretation in a RU game allow a "worse team" the opportunity like we saw for Japan, people who watch more RU than me could easily come up with more examples. I play RU a bit, but I wouldnt go as far as to say I understand it!!

Quote: Him "
So I've thought for a while now we could use a way of helping not so good teams compete with top teams. Imagine if France and Wales could give England a game in RL. We'd have a ready made annual Tri-Nations which would hugely help RL in this country.

I reckon if we re-introduced competitive scrums it COULD, and I stress the word could, help lesser nations be competitive. Teams could use scrums and kicking to touch to help them turn around the dominance and momentum that is built up by the better teams.

I understand the reasons against it, I just think we desperately need more competitive international teams and the nature of our sport currently doesn't help in that regard.'"

For sure, an example would be the 40/20. IMO one of Leagues best rule innovations for a long time and nothing to do with fitness/physicality.

It would be great if England could play France and Wales regularly and they could compete but maybe that would require more than rule tweaks. Wales and France need more players in the top leagues, need to keep developing their own players and for sure need to play eachother and the big three more often.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4747
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Quote: Mr Churchill " Then a Scottish RU bloke touched down with his foot and half a leg clearly over the dead ball line - but a try awarded without hesitation and checking with nobody. Couldn't believe that either- but had to laugh again.'"

Didn't see this actual incident, but, amazingly, a player doesn't have to be in the field of play to score a try in RU!

You can have both feet outside the touch-line or touch-and-goal line (I'm not absolutely certain if the same applies to the dead ball line; I assume it does), but as long as the ball is in the field of play when you touch it down, that's considered OK. So it sounds like the officials were right in this instance.

Yeah,I know it sounds Mickey Mouse, but it's true!

RankPostsTeam
International Star1040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "It's partly why I've changed my mind on scrums. I used to agree with the majority opinion in RL that they're unnecessary.

The big (on-field) advantage Union, football and other sports have is that a team can be significantly "worse" than the opposition but still be competitive. In League it generally/often leads to high scorelines against the poorer team. So you can have Japan/Argentina etc being competitive and giving the top nations a game whereas in League they'd get blown away. And a big reason for this is the nature of the game. League allows pressure and dominance to be built up and it's incredibly difficult to turn that around.

I understand the reasons against it, I just think we desperately need more competitive international teams and the nature of our sport currently doesn't help in that regard.'"

After seeing videos of competitive scrums in league I gotta say keep them away. Absolute mess and and looked a shambles.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

I understand the reasons against it, I just think we desperately need more competitive international teams and the nature of our sport currently doesn't help in that oregard.'"

I understand your point however not sure about contested scrums because of the dangers from collapsed scrums and inexperienced scrummagers. What I would do to open the game up is to insist that only the forwards can pack down and stay down until the ball has reached the first receiver. This will allow the backs some extra space to score tries. I really do not like to see the likes of Watkins packing down in the 2nd row while a prop is at stand off.

Also a reduced subs bench should see some tired big forwards in the last quarter which again will create extra space for the backs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain287No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "Thanks for proving you're not interested in the slightest in actual debate and discussion.'"

well! Which is it? You can't say that we shouldn't be looking over their shoulders and then in the same post say we can learn from them. As for the subject matter, I have plenty to say on the subject, but none of it is anything new.
France v Romania got over 50,000 to the Olympic stadium and we should be getting the same for the NZ test, but if we don't, it'll be the fault of the BBC and the RFL and not the fans who didn't bother paying to go to the game. We'll have a few of these types of threads in the next few weeks due to the other lot and their world cup which incidentally is averaging 54k a game and got 8 million TV viewers for the England game despite the BBC doing a pretty god hatchet job on union over the last week.
Namibia just scored a try and the Olympic Stadium (full again) went nuts.......the try was scored by a namibian, not an ANZAC interloper and the result is not in doubt, but the public appreciate the effort of these smaller nations. Japan shipped 91 points v Australia 8 years ago but turned over SA this time........that's international sport, not the contrived RLWC we offer. I think RLWC 2013 was fantastic, but don't think it offers anything in the way of development for the sport. 2 samoan born players in the 4 nations shows how far we have to go.......how any scottish born players will represent next year?
England RL sticking 70+ on Russia or Australia hammering them by over 100 in the RLWC 2000 didn't crucify Russian RL........Lacck of support and development assistance has done that!

International RL will always suffer because the clubs generate all the revenue and therefore the club come first......

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: The Changing Man "well! Which is it? You can't say that we shouldn't be looking over their shoulders and then in the same post say we can learn from them. As for the subject matter, I have plenty to say on the subject, but none of it is anything new.
France v Romania got over 50,000 to the Olympic stadium and we should be getting the same for the NZ test, but if we don't, it'll be the fault of the BBC and the RFL and not the fans who didn't bother paying to go to the game. We'll have a few of these types of threads in the next few weeks due to the other lot and their world cup which incidentally is averaging 54k a game and got 8 million TV viewers for the England game despite the BBC doing a pretty god hatchet job on union over the last week.
Namibia just scored a try and the Olympic Stadium (full again) went nuts.......the try was scored by a namibian, not an ANZAC interloper and the result is not in doubt, but the public appreciate the effort of these smaller nations. Japan shipped 91 points v Australia 8 years ago but turned over SA this time........that's international sport, not the contrived RLWC we offer. I think RLWC 2013 was fantastic, but don't think it offers anything in the way of development for the sport. 2 samoan born players in the 4 nations shows how far we have to go.......how any scottish born players will represent next year?
England RL sticking 70+ on Russia or Australia hammering them by over 100 in the RLWC 2000 didn't crucify Russian RL........Lacck of support and development assistance has done that!

International RL will always suffer because the clubs generate all the revenue and therefore the club come first......'"

Everyone, compare and contrast this lump of bizarre drivel with the reasoned responses and debate from normal human beings on this thread. Further proof, if it were needed, of this particular creation's agenda.

Quote: The Changing Man "well! Which is it? You can't say that we shouldn't be looking over their shoulders and then in the same post say we can learn from them. '"

I didn't. But you've always attempted to twist the facts to suit your bizarre agenda haven't you.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: kobashi "After seeing videos of competitive scrums in league I gotta say keep them away. Absolute mess and and looked a shambles.'"

But they wouldn't be the same as they were back then. And looking a shambles doesn't stop Union.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4747
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Yeah, but the scrums, and the delays they cause, are the worst thing about union! Even most thinking RU fans accept that.

I have no prob with RL scrums exactly as they are. But OTOH I don't think it would be a disaster if they were abolished,

RankPostsTeam
International Star1040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Changing Man "well! Which is it? You can't say that we shouldn't be looking over their shoulders and then in the same post say we can learn from them. As for the subject matter, I have plenty to say on the subject, but none of it is anything new.

International RL will always suffer because the clubs generate all the revenue and therefore the club come first......'"

How do you change it though. We haven't got someone like the IRB behind us supporting the smaller nations.

Scotland cannot produce their own players when they have no money to support Scottish rugby league.

This all should have been done 20+ years ago. Until we have an international board who has real money behind them nothing will change.

RankPostsTeam
International Star230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: moto748 "Yeah, but the scrums, and the delays they cause, are the worst thing about union! Even most thinking RU fans accept that.

I have no prob with RL scrums exactly as they are. But OTOH I don't think it would be a disaster if they were abolished,'"

Although still not perfect, most if not all Union fans think they have got better the last 12 months due to new laws. And most if not all Union fans would rather have contested than uncontested scrums.

227 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
227 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

1.96875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
6s
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
14s
Squad 2024
faxcar
23s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
30s
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
1m
Call for funds
Tony Fax
1m
Planning for next season
Jack Gaskell
1m
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
2m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,570 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22