FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > One rule for one...
92 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: cadoo "You're defending a claim that I never made - are you that paranoid?

Inept officiating cost Les Catalans. The penalty count is irrelevant. Key decisions were still missed by the officials, namely, the Rob Burrow knock on at the scrum and the one where Jamie Peacock not square/offside call when Leeds were really under the wrack!

McGuire should have walked after the precedent set a couple of weeks back by Child and Ganson. Fakir should have walked too. '"
Inept officials also cost Leeds, Les Catalans had knock ons missed, i have no doubt Leeds probably had others missed as well. The failure of Thaler to wipe the tackle count was probably the worst decision in the game, it couldnt have been clearer. You did claim, and you claim again that inept officiating cost Les Catalans, judge it as a whole, can you really argue that a team which were given 3 times the penalties of the opposition were disadvantaged to a disproportionate level?

-------------------------------------------------

Quote: cadoo "Moving away from anything personally aimed at SmokeyTA and more in general of RL supporters, I've never understood this gloating/poking fun attitude that supporters have when rival teams have key decisions go against them and poor officiating costs teams matches. It's a huge problem for our sport. The inconsistency from referees week to week is of major concern. Coaches complain constantly from atrocious decisions made against their sides. Les Catalans in particular have had a torrid run with poor officials - I wonder if that's why Trent Robinson thought "screw it I'm off to Australia"? Perhaps not but perhaps it contributed?

I thought our referees moving to full-time would have seen standards improve but IMHO they're at an all time low and you've got to question why? Surely they should be on the up?

The judiciary process is an even bigger problem - something that everyone - fans/players/coaches - tend to agree on. It must change.'"

Coaches look for excuses and to pass the blame. There are only 3 sets of people who can be blamed, and the coach doesnt want it to be them. I dont think any team is picked on, or gets advantages, but i agree the standards arent high enough.

I dont know what the answer is for improving them, but i think the communication could be much better and that comes from Cummings. He should be out there, explaining decisions, explaining interpretation and not afraid to admit a mistake. Mistakes are acceptable, they will happen fans need to accept it, and admitting them would be the first part of it. Right now it seems that interpretations change and inconsistancies are rampant because sometimes mistakes are defended instead of just accepted.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: tad rhino "i do. i thought mcguire and fakir should have walked.
however those that thought catalans were hard done by should watch it again. thaler was awful for both teams, as was child on the line'"

I would have thought it harsh for both, but i wouldnt have complained had he gone.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Hock makes one of those challenges once a month, Burrow takes one once a game, one even worse happened later in the same game, strangely the Fakir challenge seems to have been picked up on much much less.

Mcilorums was many times worse, you may think that Mcguire's challenge is worth a ban, but that isnt dependent on Mcilorum's punishment, they are different and independent incidents, just because Mcilorum got sent off for his challenge, that doesnt mean Mcguire needs to be sent off for his, they are judged on their own merits, not as some evening up mechanism.

If Mcguire is banned, it is because his tackle was judged to be worthy of a ban. Mcilorums punishment plays no part.

I would turn your question on you. Ignore Mcilorums challenge and punishment, dont use it as a comparison. Independently, judged in isolation, do you think Mcguire's tackle was THAT bad?'"

Surely you're first point, even if it is rather spurious, highlights the point I made in an earlier post about the inconsistent interpretations made by referees from week to week. How can one week a challenge like that be on report and then another it's a sin bin or a red card? Take away the Leeds/Wigan McGuire/McIlorum and looking at it from a wider perspective and it is something that is occurring constantly in our game from week to week.

It was a swinging arm that connected with the head from McGuire. I don't believe that necessarily warranted a red card – this RL not tiddlywinks BUT after the precedent that was set a couple of weeks back by James Child and Steve Ganson then McGuire had to leave the field to remain consistent with a decision made a couple of weeks ago. You can't one week send a man off for a swinging arm to the head and then the next week put a player on report for a similar challenge. It's inconsistent. How on earth must Mike McIlorum feel sat watching that? Answer my question (that you conveniently ignored btw – how come?) and roll reverse the situations. If Kevin Sinfield had made the challenge McIlorum made a couple of weeks ago, was red carded and then received a three game ban, then a couple of weeks later Gareth Hock makes the exact same challenge that Danny McGuire made tonight, stayed on the field – how would you feel? You'd be livid! The Leeds forum would be throwing their toys out the pram like our forum is right now and you'd feel just as aggrieved as the Wigan fans do now.

However RL has adopted this attitude of “it's not my team so whatever” when really we should as supporters of the game be looking at the bigger picture and asking some serious questions about the state of refereeing in our sport and the judiciary process.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Bad calls from the ref for both sides but still very entertaining game, Wigan fans deluded as usual. Hopefully the Warrington and hull do the same tommorow.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13519No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: cadoo "Surely you're first point, even if it is rather spurious, highlights the point I made in an earlier post about the inconsistent interpretations made by referees from week to week. How can one week a challenge like that be on report and then another it's a sin bin or a red card? Take away the Leeds/Wigan McGuire/McIlorum and looking at it from a wider perspective and it is something that is occurring constantly in our game from week to week.

It was a swinging arm that connected with the head from McGuire. I don't believe that necessarily warranted a red card – this RL not tiddlywinks BUT after the precedent that was set a couple of weeks back by James Child and Steve Ganson then McGuire had to leave the field to remain consistent with a decision made a couple of weeks ago. You can't one week send a man off for a swinging arm to the head and then the next week put a player on report for a similar challenge. It's inconsistent. How on earth must Mike McIlorum feel sat watching that? Answer my question (that you conveniently ignored btw – how come?) and roll reverse the situations. If Kevin Sinfield had made the challenge McIlorum made a couple of weeks ago, was red carded and then received a three game ban, then a couple of weeks later Gareth Hock makes the exact same challenge that Danny McGuire made tonight, stayed on the field – how would you feel? You'd be livid! The Leeds forum would be throwing their toys out the pram like our forum is right now and you'd feel just as aggrieved as the Wigan fans do now.

However RL has adopted this attitude of “it's not my team so whatever” when really we should as supporters of the game be looking at the bigger picture and asking some serious questions about the state of refereeing in our sport and the judiciary process.'"

stop it wit the straw man argument. Mcguires incident has nothing to do mcalorrums, they are different incidents in different games. Creating fictitious incidents doesn't help you argument, it weakens them.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: cadoo "Surely you're first point, even if it is rather spurious, highlights the point I made in an earlier post about the inconsistent interpretations made by referees from week to week. How can one week a challenge like that be on report and then another it's a sin bin or a red card? Take away the Leeds/Wigan McGuire/McIlorum and looking at it from a wider perspective and it is something that is occurring constantly in our game from week to week. '"
Because they arent identical. They arent all the same, some are worse than others.
Quote: cadoo "It was a swinging arm that connected with the head from McGuire. I don't believe that necessarily warranted a red card – this RL not tiddlywinks BUT after the precedent that was set a couple of weeks back by James Child and Steve Ganson then McGuire had to leave the field to remain consistent with a decision made a couple of weeks ago. You can't one week send a man off for a swinging arm to the head and then the next week put a player on report for a similar challenge. It's inconsistent. How on earth must Mike McIlorum feel sat watching that? Answer my question (that you conveniently ignored btw – how come?) and roll reverse the situations. If Kevin Sinfield had made the challenge McIlorum made a couple of weeks ago, was red carded and then received a three game ban, then a couple of weeks later Gareth Hock makes the exact same challenge that Danny McGuire made tonight, stayed on the field – how would you feel? You'd be livid! The Leeds forum would be throwing their toys out the pram like our forum is right now and you'd feel just as aggrieved as the Wigan fans do now.

However RL has adopted this attitude of “it's not my team so whatever” when really we should as supporters of the game be looking at the bigger picture and asking some serious questions about the state of refereeing in our sport and the judiciary process.'"
I did try and answer, i didnt ignore it. I wouldnt think, that roles reversed, Mcilorum should have been sent off for making the tackle Mcguire made, regardless of whether Sinfield had been sent off for Mcilorums challenge a couple of weeks earlier. Mcilorums was worse, much worse. I dont think Mcilorum should have been sent off because it was contact with the head, but because it was a particularly bad one. All contact with the head isnt the same, all swinging arms to the head arent the same, we dont need to pretend they are.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Because McIlorum's tackle was in no way a proper attempt to stop a ball carrier, it was a late hit in which he's had to make an effort to get that high up around Laffranchi and for no other reason than to give him a bell ringer. At least McGuire (and Fakir on Burrow) were actually trying to tackle the guy with ball in hand who just so happened to be falling (or very elusive in Burrow's case). Timing a hit correctly on a falling player is vastly different compared to McIlorum who lined up and hit a virtually static and standing up player who hardly moved sharply to catch McIlorum out.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1733No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7098.jpg
[quote="G1":1x8x7ghm]Nice one Andy. You articulated a differing opinion given reasons and substance. There's really no place for the likes of you on Substandard. :wink:[/quote:1x8x7ghm]:7098.jpg

Cadoo - The main difference between the two incidents is that one was a (poor) attempt to complete a tackle on a ball carrying player.

The other was a deliberate off the ball attack which was so late the officials did well to spot it at all.

I'll let you work out which was which.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3448
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2021Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22964_1381135683.jpg
[color=#FF0000:3ohiykr5][b:3ohiykr5]Wigan Warriors - 2017 World Club Champions[/b:3ohiykr5][/color:3ohiykr5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22964.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Not necessarily. If the referee was unsighted then on-report was the correct decision, thats what it is there for. '"

Do you not think it's just a bit of an excuse for some referees not wanting to make the tough call in the big game?

I take your point in that they could have been unsighted, but Child was on with his flag up straight away, and had the perfect view of it due to the angle of the hit.

I just feel more and more refs use the on report option far too much knowing that it appears they're at least doing something when they're ducking the issue.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5587
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9540_1301256496.jpg
[size=167:3ujhocvk][b:3ujhocvk]The best way to predict the future is to create it...[/size:3ujhocvk][/b:3ujhocvk]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9540.jpg

Mcllorum's was a deliberate and late attack to the head, Maguires was a swinging arm that connected with the head, anybody that thinks it was the same is either a wigan fan or very stupid but probably both.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member15309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg
[img:1ucbtp34]http://i62.tinypic.com/2hs0qkg.jpg[/img:1ucbtp34] [color=#BF0000:1ucbtp34]the [size=100:1ucbtp34]C[/size:1ucbtp34]laret [size=100:1ucbtp34]A[/size:1ucbtp34]nd [size=100:1ucbtp34]G[/size:1ucbtp34]old [size=100:1ucbtp34]M[/size:1ucbtp34]achine is ready to roll[/color:1ucbtp34] sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!:2115.jpg

Gotta say i agree that i dont think mcguire deliberatly tried to hurt him,it was a poor challenge no doubt but looked nasty on replays but i think it was just mistimed,he looked to be trying to put a stiff arm into his shoulder but got it wrong, mcilorum's however was a cheap,high,late shot and deserved a 3 match ban, absolutely no way were both incidents thr same

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Been working a late shift, so just watched the game on Sky+. Not a fan of either side but after watching an entertaining game ( calls going against both sides throughout ), I feel cheated by the ref in the last few minutes by him not pulling up Peacock, when Leeds were really under the cosh. It really bugs me that the officials can't get a grip of the defence having 'both feet ' behind the line when they are defending the goal line. They just seem to ignore it . Why?? Peacock was just about alongside the play the ball, not even one foot behind the line. If a few teams got penalised 'early doors', surely they'd get the message. Are the refs not really bothered about enforcing this law?

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Both sides had some poor decisions go against them and Mr Thaler bottled a couple of big calls, particularly the Maguire incident, which was a straightforward attack to the head. Great game though and on balance, Leeds deserved the win.

I note that it's not just Wigan club officials who show no respect for the referee by the way - their golden boy was on Twitter during the game calling for Maguire to be banned and rubbishing the judiciary; it's poor form - they should receive a stiff warning from the RFL to their future conduct.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

I noticed that too and would hope the RFL will be taking action. Sadly he'll only get a warning simply because he's Sam Tomkins, the irony of which will be lost on the scrote.

Likewise I hope Trent Robinson will be giving the RFL a leaving present of a few quid. His comments in the interview with Brian Carney were laughable given the penalty count.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7544
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Andy Gilder "I noticed that too and would hope the RFL will be taking action. Sadly he'll only get a warning simply because he's Sam Tomkins, the irony of which will be lost on the scrote.'"

Remind me what action the RFL took on Greenshields this year?

Just a little fine wasn't it? Pocket money to Tomkins anyway.

92 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
92 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0302734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
3m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
4m