FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Greatest player of all time?
146 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Him "Again, why would you think that Gregory, in a modern environment and having to deal with modern defences would be so far ahead of the top players currently?

I think it's massively disrespectful and frankly shows a lack of understanding of the modern game to think that way.

As I said, don't confuse better to watch with better standard.'"

Because as the saying goes "Class is permanent" - comparing Gregory to Smith is nonsense is like comparing Glen Lazarus to Ian Kirke.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Voltaire "I think you show a massive lack of understanding of life in general and Rugby League in particular. I would say you are 1/100 to have never played at any sort of level..

Please do not confuse having a fat bloke in a mask as your avatar with having any intelligence or worth...self importance is of course excluded...'"

icon_lol.gif
So can you answer the question? Or does you amazing knowledge of rugby league, obviously gained from playing for GB v Australia not allow you to back up your opinions? I think you need to improve your self-awareness, there are plenty of free courses and tests you can take to help you with that. Because someone who apparently understands life in general so well would realise that in life you often have to back up your opinions with either facts or some reasoning. What you then do is present your reasons and people debate them.

However if you choose not to do so then people might just come to the conclusion that you can't actually back it up, especially if you then resort to unnecessary personal abuse just because someone has the nerve to disagree with your unsupported claim. In that situation you run the risk of being described as an arrogant, patronising pillock.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Because as the saying goes "Class is permanent" - comparing Gregory to Smith is nonsense is like comparing Glen Lazarus to Ian Kirke.'"

I haven't compared Smith to Gregory in terms of equating them. Just asking why people think he would be so far ahead, to use their own terms, "in a different Galaxy" & "have skills the current England halves could only dream of".

Considering the game is very very different, especially for a halfback, compared to Gregory's day I'm asking why people think Gregory would necessarily fit in/work in a modern team at halfback and definitely why he would be somehow on a level well beyond the current players.

I'm not saying in the slightest that Gregory or any other top player wouldn't have made it today, but as I said in my reply to Voltaire that he couldn't be d to reply to, I think some top players from the past would've made it today and some wouldn't and vice versa for the current top players.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

Quote: knockersbumpMKII "
Even Jonathan Edwards is a better all round player than Johns, better kicker, had greater awareness, more speed (off the mark and top end), greater elusiveness, yeah Johns is the superior passer but JD is by far the superior player. Is JD the greatest ever..no but for me his all round talents put him firmly around the top 10 of all time.
deciding whom is the greatest is impossible, some players were unbelievably talented but played in unpopular/unfashionable teams and don't get the recognition. Some are elevated because they were in amazing teams and seemed to have all the time in the world and/or were dominant.

You put your nominated best player in any poor side and if the changes are vastly noticeable then you have a bona-fide nominee..'"

Can't agree with that. I loved Davies (I asume you don't mean Jonathan Edwards or Shaun Edwards) but Johns had everything a RL half back needs, physically not the quickest but his kicking, vision, and speed of thought were as good as any half I've seen play the game. At his best a privilidge to watch.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Andy Gregory is the best British halfback I’ve seen in over 30 years. His ability to control a game with his passing, kicking and running was light years ahead of any other British player I’ve seen since. . It’s no coincidence that some of our best performances at international level came when he was in the team. Wally Lewis rated him as the best English player he ever came up against.

Only Johns and Sterling eclipse him IMO.

I’ve no doubt that if he had access to modern training methods he’s be as dominant now as he was back then.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36085
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: @airlie_bird "It's interesting to note that most people state that the best players are either half backs or loose men. As loose men used to be creative and not additional props.

Yet some of the greatest players of all time have worn the number 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 shirts without ever really getting the appreciation they deserved. It's these guys who laid the platform for the Lewis, Gregory, Johns, Hanley (depending on the position he played) etc to play so well. Yet when it comes to the honours and the accolades they rarely feature.

I've watched the game since the mid 70s and I've seen some truly great players. But only a handful who I really looked forward to watching (out of a Hull shirt). Hanley was my first non Hull hero. Never forget watching him and meeting him. [sizeLewis was awesome (all be it not so good for Trinity or was he too far ahead of his team mates).[/size The Aussie teams of 78 & 82 were full of amazing players.
That said many of the Aussie teams I've seen have had fantastic players in who I feel privileged to have watched.
I've always loved the Kiwis and feel the team of 1980 had some extraordinary talent which gets very little recognition compared to today's greats. Obviously the Hull teams benefited greatly from some of them. Fred Ah Kuoi in his prime was brilliant although his stint in the NRL apparently wasn't so great.
All said and done the five who have given me the greatest pleasure are Knocker Norton, Peter Sterling, Ellery Hanley, James Leuluai and Darren Lockyer.
Not sure any could be absolutely the greatest ever. Today's game is so different to the one I grew up with. I find it amazing how half backs create so little today with 10metres + to play with yet Sterlo, Gregory, Lewis, Millward, Hepworth created so much with so little space.

But I honestly couldn't argue against any that have been mentioned in this thread. Just think of the engine room when thinking about true greats. (Not that I've mentioned many Hahaha)'"

You're mainly wrong I'm afraid.

Bit stiff to start with but a few games in he was brilliant. Considers some of the games played at Wakefield amongst his best. You're right about his team mates or most of them but some got it - he was the making of Nigel Bell that's for certain. Bloke is a genuine legend at BV along with Ray Price who did similar in a very different way.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1893No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Andrew Johns is a genius, he shaped the modern game of how halves play. His vision was better than anybody else that I've seen. Freddie Fitler was a proper stand off, strong, good passer, had a decent short kick and a great awareness. Cameron Smith in a different way is brilliant, he is exceptionally consistent. Doesn't miss tackles, never a bad pass and punishes teams with his kicking. Smith isn't in the same class of the above, but would complete 100 of his 100 attempts at a skill (Except goal kicks, as seen on Saturday!)

Andrew Farrell was a complete player, competent kicker, good passing game and a tough as they come. Sculthorpe was as good as him also. What Mike Gregory lacked behind these two in skill, he made up for in heart, and was a real leader too.

Meninga was unplayable at times, size strength and pace. Davies was crafty and lighting quick, and had a good rugby brain.

Tough to say who was the best, but in my opinion Johns sneaks it, what he couldn't do, wasn't worth learning.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach897No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mr. Zucchini Head "Johns was a great player, but my opinion of him will always be somewhat tainted by the night he spent in Danny Brough's pocket in the 2005 playoffs.'"

Yes, like Boxing Day 1983 when a then-relatively unknown Kiwi named Gary Freeman (fresh from Kent Invicta) ran rings round (an admittedly hung-over) Wally Lewis for Castleford against Wakefield.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Him "I haven't compared Smith to Gregory in terms of equating them. Just asking why people think he would be so far ahead, to use their own terms, "in a different Galaxy" & "have skills the current England halves could only dream of".

Considering the game is very very different, especially for a halfback, compared to Gregory's day I'm asking why people think Gregory would necessarily fit in/work in a modern team at halfback and definitely why he would be somehow on a level well beyond the current players.

I'm not saying in the slightest that Gregory or any other top player wouldn't have made it today, but as I said in my reply to Voltaire that he couldn't be d to reply to, I think some top players from the past would've made it today and some wouldn't and vice versa for the current top players.'"

Because great players are largely reliant on their individual skill sets - Gregory is no different. Natural ability never goes away regardless of era. Great players often remain at the top for ten years the game changes massively in that time but they seem to find a way of coping.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5052
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72289.jpg

Quote: miscreant "Yes, like Boxing Day 1983 when a then-relatively unknown Kiwi named Gary Freeman (fresh from Kent Invicta) ran rings round (an admittedly hung-over) Wally Lewis for Castleford against Wakefield.'"

That never happened!

Freeman played very well in the game and John Joyner also upped his game but neither eclipsed Lewis who was still the best player ion the pitch that day.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

knockersbump - I started watching in the early 80s. Not a single forward from that time would be first grade if brought forward to today without massive increases in fitness because they played a different sport.

I have watched Aussie GFs from the 90s and if you watch them on video the increase in fitness levels is quite surprising - any "best of" NRL side from the 90s would get murdered today as they just weren't as fit, and the defences were dreadful compared to today.

As I said, if you were around then (by your nickname I assume you were), do you not remember that Eric Grothe was seen as a giant amongst wingers at 14.5 stone in 1982? Meninga was 15 stone 10 (IIRC) on the 82 tour, and seen as a freak, and yet Ryan Hall would outweigh him by more than half a stone.

The easiest way to see how the game has changed is on that video sharing site. Have a look at Canberra Raiders from the 80s, the Broncos with Langer et al in full flight, and any team before them, and its as clear as day if you watch what the defences were doing aginst them that they had acres of space and nobody was anywhere near fit in today's terms.

TBH I find the older stuff more entertaining, and the skills on show more enjoyable to watch. But fitness? Organisation in defence? Some of its almost laughably poor when you look at a whole game.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Yes, players have got bigger and stronger on the whole but you can only judge players by reference to their status in their own era. If you look at old footage from as long as 80 years ago you can find examples of far better than you ever see today and with the old balls that weighed a ton in comparison. So you can find tangible evidence of reduced standards in some areas! So far as the British game is concerned there were more quality players in say the '50s than there have been at any time in the last 40 years, so stand out players in that era were, in my opinion, generally better than our stand out players of today. I recall a testimonial match at Widnes in the '70s when Widnes were "Cup Kings" and Vince Karalius played. Although 20 years older than the Widnes players and off the pace due to age when he tackled them (including then current internationals) he chucked them around like rag dolls. Far stronger than most current players of that era.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman948No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/PDT4.gif
:simpsons/PDT4.gif

Quote: Cronus "Kevin Sinfield'"

No, it has to be Sean O'Verated. icon_biggrin.gif

More seriously, I can only pick the players I have seen, and I couldn't pick just one, so ...

Andrew Ettinghausen
Jason Robinson
Mal Meninga
Keith Senior
Martin Offiah
Darren Lockyer
Andrew Johns
Shane Webke
Danny Buderus
Kevin Ward
Gorden Tallis
Adrian Morley
Ellery

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12097No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I just don't understand why people think guys like Gregory would be head and shoulders above anyone else if they were around today.

With modern training etc I'm sure he would still be a very good player in the modern game. But he wouldn't stand out any more than any other good halfbacks these days.

There's a tribute to Gregory on YouTube. Some of the breaks he makes in that video are against pathetic defensive lines. I've seen Richard Horne make breaks like that all through his career against much better defenders, and yet Horne will be remembered as a slightly above average Superleague half back. He also creates a try with a long cut out pass, but he has to turn his back to the defensive line because he can't pass well enough to his right. Hardly "skills that current halves could only dream of."

These players were indeed greats of the game, and should be remembered. They all played their part in pushing the boundaries of the game and were the best of their generation. However it's disrespectful to modern players who are more professional and work much harder to suggest that the old guys would be head and shoulders above if they played today, because it's simply not true.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36085
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: miscreant "Yes, like Boxing Day 1983 when a then-relatively unknown Kiwi named Gary Freeman (fresh from Kent Invicta) ran rings round (an admittedly hung-over) Wally Lewis for Castleford against Wakefield.'"

Makes great story, not much of it factual. Didn't happen.

146 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
146 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.84326171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
19m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
19m