JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ferdy "As above the world club challenge is bang in their pre season and the English teams are in their season.'"

I'm sure it plays a part but if Australia are THAT good and far advanced, dominating shouldn't be a problem at all.

No, the problem with England's international RL is twofold; management and mentals. The recent 4n is a classic example, there were players selected who are past their international sell-by date and in the final again that combined with poor mental conditioning resulted in England's worst performance of the entire tournament.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman27757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg
[url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-n8:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]An Ode to Sepp Blatter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/s1ImSi-dadbod:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Dadbod[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-mK:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Next In Line To The Throne[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/st-helens-and-a-fitting-end-to-a-season-of-unsung-heroes/:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://twitter.com/cinematicsoul:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Follow my wisdom on Twitter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-aA:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34.jpg

Quote: Rinkadink "combined with poor mental conditioning resulted in England's worst performance of the entire tournament.'"

I would say that mentally this year's side was one of the best I've seen so I'm not sure how you've arrived at that opinion. If anything they kept themselves in the final because of it when we were being played off the park.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1824No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47997_1274724262.jpg
Ers tha' geet bitter on?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47997.jpg

Quote: McClennan "I would say that mentally this year's side was one of the best I've seen so I'm not sure how you've arrived at that opinion. If anything they kept themselves in the final because of it when we were being played off the park.'"

Think Ian Smith was more responsible for that. England froze in the final, end of story. They see the green and gold jersey in a big game and the legs turn to jelly. It's not talent or physical prowess that England lack. It's belief, plain and simple. Belief in themselves and their teammates. If you don't believe that you can achieve something, then you won't be able to do it

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: McClennan "You can have all the talent in the world but you won't fulfill your potential without good coaching or if you do it will take longer. I understand your point and agree on the conditioning aspect, however the quality of coaching is better in Australia than it is in the UK simply because, as you've stated with players, there's more people doing it. Therefore by extending your logic it stands that the numbers participating are likely to increase innovation, expertise and quality. Conditioning is different because that's a skill that's tied to sports sciences rather than specifically to our sport.

Therefore, if you have better players and better coaches in your competition it's likely to generate a tougher fixture list, intensity etc., hence the in-built advantage the NRL offers RL countries with players in it.'"

I understand your point about numbers, But what do you think that Australian coaches do that's so different? What do you think NRL coaches do? You say players with talent will reach their potential (which is actually immeasurable) but it will take longer.

I would love you and others to come over here to see for yourselves rather than presuming that their coaching is better. Think about the fact that in the UK there are so many Australian coaches. What are they coaching? Something different? Has no one learnt anything?

And of the Englishmen who came and went back like Adrian Morley, Chris Thorman, Jordan Tansey and Mike Worrincy? Are they now better players?

As I said, I've worked with players and interviewed players for this website years ago who have played in both comps and they say the main difference is not coaching, fitness etc. It's the level and depth of talent. I'm gonna listen to those who have lived it.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Rinkadink "If that's the case why don't the NRL teams dominate the World Club Challenge?'"

What, like winning the last 3?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg
[url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-n8:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]An Ode to Sepp Blatter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/s1ImSi-dadbod:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Dadbod[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-mK:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Next In Line To The Throne[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/st-helens-and-a-fitting-end-to-a-season-of-unsung-heroes/:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://twitter.com/cinematicsoul:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Follow my wisdom on Twitter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-aA:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34.jpg

Quote: Rooster Booster "<snip>'"

Well how many coaches are there operating in Super League that should be head coaches in Australia? One of the best coaches we've had over here is Daniel Anderson yet where does he rank compared to NRL coaches? The players may say there's no difference however recruitment of head coaches suggest otherwise. The NRL attracts the best coaches e.g. Maguire, so it stands to reason that the quality of coaching is better in the NRL.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: McClennan "Well how many coaches are there operating in Super League that should be head coaches in Australia? One of the best coaches we've had over here is Daniel Anderson yet where does he rank compared to NRL coaches? The players may say there's no difference however recruitment of head coaches suggest otherwise. The NRL attracts the best coaches e.g. Maguire, so it stands to reason that the quality of coaching is better in the NRL.'"

I could flip that question around and ask how many coaches in the NRL SHOULD be head coaches in SL?

Re: Anderson. Got Warriors to a Grand Final and coached New Zealand before going to blighty. Went back to Parra after blighty and got them to a Grand Final. Thanks to a huge amount of politics and the fact that he was part of the "old guard" at Parra. The new lot couldn't wait to see someone else coach. Ironically, Kearney has done no better.

As for the recruitment. That is based on the myth that everyone believes. A bit like in Football. Why doesn't every national team have a Brazilian coach? Their players are brilliant and win so much, so often.

Maybe get more and more footy people over here to study an ARL Level 1, 2 or 3 coach’s certificate? Or get a chance to work at a club.

I do understand why people think the way they do back home. Because on paper and in black and white, we believe the coaching must be superior. Whether that's true or not is what I don't buy.

Finally. Consider the nationality of the coach that won Super League in 2011.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Rooster Booster "I could flip that question around and ask how many coaches in the NRL SHOULD be head coaches in SL?

Re
It's the coaching at youth and junior level that appears to be far superior. Since the Aussie youngsters seem far more ready to step up to first team rugby than ours do.

RankPostsTeam
International Star42No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "What, like winning the last 3?'"

Two, Storm were rightfully stripped of their title. UK teams have won 11 WCC titles, Aussie teams have won 7.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "It's the coaching at youth and junior level that appears to be far superior. Since the Aussie youngsters seem far more ready to step up to first team rugby than ours do.'"

That could be more of an appropriate argument. Nurturing the younger talent through and the masses with natural ability. There would be a far greater set up for that in Oz. More clubs? More money? We even have player agents signing kids up from Harold Matts grade in NSW (U16s).

However, to counter that, I have watched St Helen's kids come over and beat their NRL equivalents in their last two visits. And our kids beat the aussie schoolboys.

Like I said, maybe people who work in the game in the UK should come on fact finding missions here. I'm led to believe that training facilities are more abundant and superior here, not technique. I suspect that those people will not find much difference in methods and coaching.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16.jpg
:16.jpg

Quote: Him "It's the coaching at youth and junior level that appears to be far superior. Since the Aussie youngsters seem far more ready to step up to first team rugby than ours do.'"

Disagree with this bit. The players have shown they can defeat the best juniors in Australia at academy and younger ages.

Latest was Saints who took their 16-18 year olds down under and won every match against top junior sides.
This isnt a fluke as they over the years have consistently defeated top aussie teams.

Also the other year i seem to recall an aussie club side touring with their best juniors and losing a couple of matches. I think it was West Tigers.

The problem occurs for me when the players get to the 20-21 age group. They are then too old for the academy and go into the reserve/under20 competition which is rubbish in the UK.
The aussies on the other hand have high standard televised lower grade competitions that they farm players out to. These feeder teams help the players develop their games ready for the NRL.

The first tentative steps have started to be done in the UK re this with clubs like Leigh and Widnes, signing SL players on loan deals.
However misguided RL politics is preventing the likes of Leigh, Batley, Swinton etc becoming proper feeder teams for SL clubs.
As a result many young players are being discarded before they can reach their full potential.

RankPostsTeam
International Star287No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2015Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: spanker "Good luck to Graham, hope the guy makes the grade time will tel.'"

I'll go with that. The lad is a grafter.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

@ The Chair Maker - you're probably right in that there is such a big gap in between academy/reserves and first team SL and many players get lost in that gap. Whereas in Aus there are the feeder clubs to take up that bit in the middle. The dual reg system should hopefully help with that over time.
I still think the Aussies are generally more skillful at a younger age than our lads are though. Having spoken to a few SL academy & scholarship coaches I know they are often depressed at the general skill levels (especially passing & handling) of kids who come into their teams. And they are then often coaching these lads the basics that should have been taught them at a much younger age, and are missing out on the more advanced stuff they should be starting upon.

It's probably a combination of both plus a restricted player pool.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg

Quote: Rooster Booster "I could flip that question around and ask how many coaches in the NRL SHOULD be head coaches in SL?'"

Probably more than the other way around.

Quote: Rooster Booster "Ironically, Kearney has done no better.'"

I wasn't aware that Kearney had a track record of coaching prior to getting his jobs.

Quote: Rooster Booster "As for the recruitment. That is based on the myth that everyone believes. A bit like in Football. Why doesn't every national team have a Brazilian coach? Their players are brilliant and win so much, so often.'"

Well that's football where there are multiple competitions, different ways of playing and coaching opportunities. Completely different in comparison to the scenario in RL i.e. there's a wealth of coaches out there plying trades in many competitions so it stands to reason there is unlikely to be a singular power base of coaching excellence. Why don't you compare the sport to something similar like NFL, MLB, NBA, which share similar demographic traits to our sport?

Quote: Rooster Booster "Maybe get more and more footy people over here to study an ARL Level 1, 2 or 3 coach’s certificate? Or get a chance to work at a club.'"

Agree with that and I don't think it's any coincidence that Mike Rush (Saints), who previously spent considerable amounts of time in Australia before he was appointed, has produced one of the most successful academy systems in the UK.

Quote: Rooster Booster "Finally. Consider the nationality of the coach that won Super League in 2011.'"

Consider that he was the first British coach to win the title in x years and that the top four spots in Super League have been dominated by overseas coached teams for several years. Not all overseas coaches are infallible but the ones that have had significant impact upon our sport over the past thirty years have all been from overseas i.e. Lowe, Monie, McRae, Millward, Smith, Anderson, Maguire. Of the most recent ones only Anderson had actually coached a NRL first grade side before coming here. What does that say?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: McClennan "Not all overseas coaches are infallible but the ones that have had significant impact upon our sport over the past thirty years have all been from overseas i.e. Lowe, Monie, McRae, Millward, Smith, Anderson, Maguire. Of the most recent ones only Anderson had actually coached a NRL first grade side before coming here. What does that say?'"

It says to me that people in the UK believe the myth and are happier to get a coach purely because he is australian, rather than a brit could possibly be equally as good if not better.

94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.05517578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H Moved to Thursday
apollosghost
8m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
rugbyleague8
15m