JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "How on earth does it? Harrogate and York are nt in Leeds. It is entirely irrelevant to my point.'"
Leeds get support from Harrogate and York despite being called Leeds and being based in Leeds. Obviously there aren't as many fans from those other places as there are from Leeds, but based on your argument there wouldn't be any at all.

In relation to London, the argument is the same, they also wouldn't get a huge amount of support from outside the local area. A team called London based in Twickenham would still get the majority of its support from Twickenham and not from East London or North London.

Quote: SmokeyTA "it doesnt need to have more than there is in Hull. Just more than there would otherwise be and it is the obvious right way to go. '"
Obviously if the net gain was higher then it would be the right move, but I don't think that would be the case at all. You're neglecting developing a local base in favor of targeting the huge area of London and getting completely overwhelmed. RL in London is a drop in the ocean, decreasing the size of that ocean is likely to make a far bigger impact.

Quote: SmokeyTA "And to repeat, Them making a conscious decision to target large populations with city or region teams were one those catalysts for that growth which made them the most popular sport. '"
They haven't gone from clubs the size of London (or other RL clubs) to huge entities overnight because they 'targeted large populations'. American sports are operated on a franchise basis by billionaire owners, many of them have been relocated thousands of miles to opposite ends of the country. It's nothing at all like RL and completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Quote: SmokeyTA "
But you are arguing that those who want to watch RL, but were one of the 13.2m people in London but not Barnet would watch Barnet anyway even though they had no affinity or affiliation to Barnet. So Why wouldnt they watch Rockhampton? If the name doesnt matter and they would watch anyway why would you rename the Auckland Warriors the NZ warriors if it wouldnt attract more people?

If the name didnt matter and those in north queensland who were going to watch the cowboys would watch anyway, why are they the North Queensland Cowboys and not the Townsville Cowboys. '"
There's a huge difference between Rockhampton and Townsville and Barnet. Townsville and Rockhampton are relatively remote, isolated places that probably couldn't support clubs on their own. Barnet as you've said is a suburb, with a population more than big enough to support a club and also a huge population in the immediate vicinity. Your argument is completely ignoring the different nature of these places. It's like trying to compare Fulham and Whitehaven.

Quote: SmokeyTA "
Its irrelevant how big they are. We want the club to be as big as possible. The principle is the same. It doesnt change with scale.

Every other sport in the world doesnt look to clubs representing suburbs, every major sport in the world looks to its biggest sides to represent cities, larger regions or are none-geographical, the only exceptions are those which grew out of amateur sport and we are talking centuries old.

Why are we different? What are all they doing wrong?'"
So this entire argument is based not on logic, but on the arbitrary measure of whether something is a 'suburb' or not. And the fact that 'other sports do it' despite the only relevant examples (soccer in London and RL in Sydney) being operated with clubs based out of suburbs.

Quote: SmokeyTA "And? are we in a position of Londons Club being too big? Why wouldnt we want each club to be as big as it can be?'"
We do, we want as many strong clubs as possible. But 13 million people is far too big a catchment area for just one club, especially in a sport the size of RL. Even the aforementioned New York Giants and Jets playing in the biggest, most prestigious and well-known sports league in the world don't market themselves to that many people. For such a club to grow to a level relative to the likes of Wigan or St Helens would mean they were playing in front of hundreds of thousands of fans every week. It's just lunacy.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Everyone else in the world seems to manage pretty easily.'"
12 clubs all called London FC. Great.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

The new Perth NRL team will be called west coast, not Perth or a suburb of Perth. The reason, to appeal to the whole state not just the city or a part of the city. Would be silly to not call a team London.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Mr Churchill "The Club's biggest and most enthusiastic attendances were when they were called Fulham and played at Fulham.'"

Actually......after a while the crowds and enthusiasm drifted away to the extent that Fulham couldn't be d. Another example of erecting posts, announcing KO times and trusting Kevin Costner MArketing to do the rest.....and the biggest average attendances for londons pro RL team isn't fulhams, but Te broncos in year 1 of SL

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: JB Down Under "The new Perth NRL team will be called west coast, not Perth or a suburb of Perth. The reason, to appeal to the whole state not just the city or a part of the city. Would be silly to not call a team London.'"
Population of Western Australia: 2.5 million.

Population of London: 13.6 million.

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: gutterfax " the biggest average attendances for londons pro RL team isn't fulhams, but Te broncos in year 1 of SL'"

Don't think that's right. What do you think the two figures are i.e average attendance in first season as Fulham (2nd division by the way) and in first season as London in Super League?

Were you there at Fulham's first season matches to feel the enthusiasm==>
First match v Wigan (nearly 10,000)
Challenge cup match v Wakefield (15,000)
the night before Wembley when Fulham beat Bradford (then Champions) with an Ian Van Bellan drop goal (sic)- 13,000 I think?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4799No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif
Freedom for supporters of the government, only for members of one party - however numerous they may be - is no freedom at all. freedom is always and exclusively for one who thinks differently. Rosa Luxemburg, 'Die russiche Revolution'.:Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif

Quote: gutterfax "Actually......after a while the crowds and enthusiasm drifted away to the extent that Fulham couldn't be d. Another example of erecting posts, announcing KO times and trusting Kevin Costner MArketing to do the rest.....and the biggest average attendances for londons pro RL team isn't fulhams, but Te broncos in year 1 of SL'"

Actually the crowds weren't ever that good at the Cottage except for a few 'marquee' fixtures - the gate for the first game against Wigan of 9552 (of whom probably the odd 552 paid!) was followed by 5589 for the next one against Swinton and this when the club was getting good publicity in the London media. Ernie Clay openly admitted that he'd started the club to 'make some brass' and by the middle of the second season rumours about our future were already starting to circulate. I was told by a committee member during the Chiswick era that when Roy Close bought the club from the liquidator it had been carrying debts of around £750k, although a lot of that was apparently owed to various legal companies.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Mr Churchill "Don't think that's right. What do you think the two figures are i.e average attendance in first season as Fulham (2nd division by the way) and in first season as London in Super League?

Were you there at Fulham's first season matches to feel the enthusiasm
You're mixing up enthusiasm and free tickets to marquee games.......once the free tickets dried up, so did the enthusiasm......

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You haven't said but it sounds like you weren't there. I was.

I suspect you are making this up about free tickets. Doesn't sound right if Ernie Clay did plan RL to be a new income stream.

I paid to get in to the first match v Wigan. All the Wigan supporters did I think. Both seated stands looked pretty full that day and weren't free. The kop was full of Fulham AFC supporters - so am guessing that Fulham soccer season ticket holders got in free to the terraces for the first match (and really were won over during the course of the 80 minutes giving the team a rapturous ovation at the end).

The 15,000 crowd v Wakefield in the cup was "all pay" as was the eve of challenge cup final challenge match v Bradford (13,000).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: gutterfax "You're mixing up enthusiasm and free tickets to marquee games.......once the free tickets dried up, so did the enthusiasm......'"

Do you know that there were free tickets handed out during Fulham's first season, or are you just guessing? Don't know too much about marketing history, but did clubs hand out free tickets in the '80s ? I was working in West London during the Fulham/Chiswick years........never got anywhere near a freebie, always paid on the gate, Craven Cottage and Polytechnic ground.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4799No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif
Freedom for supporters of the government, only for members of one party - however numerous they may be - is no freedom at all. freedom is always and exclusively for one who thinks differently. Rosa Luxemburg, 'Die russiche Revolution'.:Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif

Quote: Mr Churchill "The 15,000 crowd v Wakefield in the cup was "all pay" as was the eve of challenge cup final challenge match v Bradford (13,000).'"

In fact Cup games have to be 'all pay' anyway. The Challenge match on Cup Final Eve was all pay (to be pedantic, the gate was 11926) with the result (three points for a try, then) Fulham 20 (tries - David Allen 4, goals Iain MacCorquodale 4); Bradford 8 (tries Derek Parker, Dennis Trotter, goal Keith Mumby). One of the best match days at the Cottage with a great atmosphere - one highlight was referee Ronnie Campbell going over to the Bradford bench in the second half and giving coach Peter Fox the choice of substituting Jim Fiddler or having him sent off! Oh, and van Bellen never dropped a goal for us, although he scored 4 tries.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach895
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22268_1354053306.jpg
Long live the Fulham-London Crusaders-Broncos Harley-Quids Broncos (again) RLFC!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22268.jpg

Fulham had the best crowds????? lmfao!

Only on 4 occasions did they top 10k, in what...10 seasons. Their best season was 6k average, which I believe the Broncos actually bettered a couple of times.

Not that I care, I never went to a single Fulham game, and if London changed their name to anything else (with the possible exception of QPR) I'd stop going, it's that simple.

I like being able to yell "C'MON LUNDUN!" 'til I'm ho. I will be available next season if we still have a club and until such time as the lights may finally go out. On a positive note a Euro-Millions winner, Oil rich Sheikh or Russian Oligarch may take over, buy Loftus Road when the R's move to their new stadium and have magnificentley successful marketing campaigns that see the place packed week in and week out!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png

Quote: Mr Churchill "You haven't said but it sounds like you weren't there. I was.'"

Ooooh....you were there so you must be correct 5.455078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Finn out Murrell in
MP
9m
Planning for next season
mwindass
10m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings